Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
The whole "what's a computer" *says the snarky little girl* iPad commercial was NOT a good idea IMHO. As a matter of fact it downright irritates me. Writing on the wall, foreshadowing???

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
And that is where Steve shined. The Mac was his baby. Of course it was important to him. I don't know that Tim shares the same affection for the Mac.

I could be wrong. Tim could love the Mac, but it certainly doesn't show. At least not in any believable sort of way to me...

It's gotten pretty bad in the last few years. I'm actually afraid to install OS updates when they come out now for fear of problems. All the iDevices I've owned recently have been rock solid. It's pretty clear where there focus is now.

Reactions: guillone

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
It's gotten pretty bad in the last few years. I'm actually afraid to install OS updates when they come out now for fear of problems. All the iDevices I've owned recently have been rock solid. It's pretty clear where there focus is now.
Yes, iPhones and iPads are amazing devices that continue to improve and wow us. Macs on the other hand...

marcel500

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006
So I found this article on the German website of macwelt (Macworld)

https://www.macwelt.de/a/systembremse-erklaert-wenn-kernel-task-das-system-bremst,3438750

They are saying that the core problem is kernel_task which kicks in when the computer is getting to hot to block the CPU and subsequently if the heat is still high the computer might crash. So my hypothesis is that my Mac crashes not because of the T2 (in my case T1) rather than the heat is causing it. You guys might want to check this as well.

I also downloaded a paid app called Turbo Boost Switcher Pro to disable turbo boost.

@StudioSanctum

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
So I found this article on the German website of macwelt (Macworld)

https://www.macwelt.de/a/systembremse-erklaert-wenn-kernel-task-das-system-bremst,3438750

They are saying that the core problem is kernel_task which kicks in when the computer is getting to hot to block the CPU and subsequently if the heat is still high the computer might crash. So my hypothesis is that my Mac crashes not because of the T2 (in my case T1) rather than the heat is causing it. You guys might want to check this as well.

I also downloaded a paid app called Turbo Boost Switcher Pro to disable turbo boost.

@StudioSanctum
My issue is most definitely not heat related.

JohnnyW2K1

Suspended
Jan 27, 2016
London, UK
I feel your pain, believe me. I have done the math, and in my 24 years as an Apple customer I have literally spent over $100,000 on Apple products. Yes, you read that right, $100,000. I have owned at least one of every product that they have released. Am/was I a fanboy? Yes, I will admit that. But they are losing me now. Do they care? No they don't care. Tim Cook is a bean counter who's sole purpose is pleasing stockholders. He does not have the vision or passion that Steve had. I absolutely hate to say this, but in many ways Steve took the better part of Apple to his grave. I desperately miss the company that I once loved so much...

I am not here as a hater, but as someone who has desperately wanted to see Apple succeed and to get better. They are however choosing to blatantly ignore and turn their back on their loyal customers.

It's very sad to see Apple lose its evangelical customer base. That sort of love, and the sales that result from a truly satisfied customer, can't be matched... and Apple are losing all of it. Very sad.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
And that is where Steve shined. The Mac was his baby. Of course it was important to him. I don't know that Tim shares the same affection for the Mac.

I could be wrong. Tim could love the Mac, but it certainly doesn't show. At least not in any believable sort of way to me...

I think Tim mostly likes the Apple watch and watch bands, lots and lots of seasonal watch bands

Reactions: marcel500

babartheelephant

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2018
Hey guys, I made an account just for this. Please bear with me :) so I recently purchased the updated 13" MBP. It arrived on Aug 13th and everything was going well until Friday night when it crashed while I was just browsing Safari. The logs indicated that it was a Bridge OS error which is what led me to this thread. I haven't noticed any crashes while the device is sleeping as yet although there is a Bridge OS crash log in my 'ProxiedDevice-Bridge' folder dated for this morning.
Anyways, I'm super nervous now after researching this and reading this thread. It seems like it is only a matter of time before I get more crashes. I'm mostly worried about the device crashing while I am working and losing data as a result.

I believe I am still in the return window so do you guys think I should just return it? I'm coming from a mid 2012 13"MBP so I was pumped to finally upgrade in time for when I return to school next month. But now I'm stressin' about this whole thing.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Hey guys, I made an account just for this. Please bear with me :) so I recently purchased the updated 13" MBP. It arrived on Aug 13th and everything was going well until Friday night when it crashed while I was just browsing Safari. The logs indicated that it was a Bridge OS error which is what led me to this thread. I haven't noticed any crashes while the device is sleeping as yet although there is a Bridge OS crash log in my 'ProxiedDevice-Bridge' folder dated for this morning.
Anyways, I'm super nervous now after researching this and reading this thread. It seems like it is only a matter of time before I get more crashes. I'm mostly worried about the device crashing while I am working and losing data as a result.

I believe I am still in the return window so do you guys think I should just return it? I'm coming from a mid 2012 13"MBP so I was pumped to finally upgrade in time for when I return to school next month. But now I'm stressin' about this whole thing.
I’d highly suggest you get a refund.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

babartheelephant

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2018
I’d highly suggest you get a refund.

So it's not even worth waiting it out? I was thinking Apple are obv aware of the issue. If it ends up being a software issue, it will get patched. And if it is a hardware issue, they'll have to offer a hardware fix/replacement right?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

I wish I could say the same. I have been having some issues with my iPhone X. Sometimes I get errors saying SIM not supported or something like that. Other times I get have GPS errors. Not sure what is going on with it. Apple keeps having me do resets, which work for awhile until they don't. My buddies iPhone X starts to deteriorate voice quality after about 10 mins and gets worse and worse until you can't understand him because it has become so garbled and then he has to call back, rinse repeat. Edit: Oh and my Air Pods keep dropping/crackling, but work fine with iPad, iMac, MBP, so it isn't the Air Pods.

Not looking for trouble shooting advice. I don't want to hijack the thread into an iDevice convo :)

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
So it's not even worth waiting it out? I was thinking Apple are obv aware of the issue. If it ends up being a software issue, it will get patched. And if it is a hardware issue, they'll have to offer a hardware fix/replacement right?
You can certainly wait if you’d like. No one knows what said wait will be like. I myself have run out of patience with these oversights and issues that shouldn’t be happening to begin with.

The latest batch of issues should have never even made it out into the public. KPs have been a thing since the release of the iMP in 2017 so I wouldn’t hold your breath for a fix.

I may not be the best person to ask. I am starting to base a lot of my Apple buying decisions on principle. Principle is telling me to stop rewarding a company that is not doing right by its loyal customers.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA

I had 2x BridgeOS restarts, though I’ve never actually seen the KP screen. Since then, I have installed the current dev beta of Mojave, turned off power nap, and notifications when the screen is asleep. I have also turned off my Magic Trackpad (which I hadn’t really been using). Not one issue since. Even my 4k UltraFine wakes instantly with the machine. It has been a little over a week and a half I think since I’ve had any problems, and I picked mine up on launch weekend.

I am fully prepared to wait this out.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I had 2x BridgeOS restarts, though I’ve never actually seen the KP screen. Since then, I have installed the current dev beta of Mojave, turned off power nap, and notifications when the screen is asleep. I have also turned off my Magic Trackpad (which I hadn’t really been using). Not one issue since. Even my 4k UltraFine wakes instantly with the machine. It has been a little over a week and a half I think since I’ve had any problems, and I picked mine up on launch weekend.

And what happens if you turn those features back on and don’t make concessions for Apple? (you’re holding it wrong) ;)

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011

That's good but for some context, I haven't had a crash for well over a week as well and I've not changed any default settings nor am I on macOS Mojave. My usage has been the same, i.e. same apps, roughly the same sleep pattern, etc. My 4K LG screen never had a problem waking with the machine either. I'm just pointing out that in my opinion there's more to it than some of those settings. I recall seeing people in this thread still having crashes despite changing such settings. Frustrating, huh?

Reactions: dspdoc

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
And what happens if you turn those features back on and don’t make concessions for Apple? (you’re holding it wrong) ;)
Hahahah. I get what you’re saying. But at this point there really is no other choice. I’m not going to do JavaScript development in Windows. Setting up bash and all that Jazz is a pain. Many people I know went through it and switched to Apple just because macOS is built on Unix.

This coming weekend I’ll turn all those things back on and let you know how it goes. With my luck it’ll catch on fire.
[doublepost=1534744905][/doublepost]
That's good but for some context, I haven't had a crash for well over a week as well and I've not changed any default settings nor am I on macOS Mojave. My usage has been the same, i.e. same apps, roughly the same sleep pattern, etc. My 4K LG screen never had a problem waking with the machine either. I'm just pointing out that in my opinion there's more to it than some of those settings. I recall seeing people in this thread still having crashes despite changing such settings. Frustrating, huh?

They all must be in a different time zone than I am. That’s the problem. ;)

Reactions: dspdoc

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Return of the renegade master, BridgeOS error.
Back once again with the ill behaviour.
https://pastebin.com/JzAE5Gq4

You seem to have a different Bridge OS than the latest available as 3.0. You have the 16P50351c and the latest is
16P50361a.
You updated to Mojave but are using High Sierra ?

I am on my 7th day without KP and didn't need to restart for my first unit. My replacement unit had to reboot a few times due to various software installations but I used it all day, with a dock and an external screen. Went out of sleep without any issue.
Default settings in Energy saver, Hey Siri and every little bluetooth thing on, Time Machine started this morning but not finished when I went out of home so will finish it tonight.

casesam

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2017
Adding my name to the list.
I have an i9/32GB/1TB. I received it last friday. I have been setting things up on it over the weekend.
I had installed the supplemental update, mathematica, microsoft office, bettertouch tools, magnet, amphetamine, texmaker, intel power gadget. Thats all.
Nothing has been plugged into it besides power cord.
I used my beats solo 3 a little, which came with it, yesterday.

I closed the laptop last night to put it to sleep, and after a few minutes I heard the fans going. Opened it up to see that it had restarted due to the bridge os kernel panic blah blah blah.

I had not experienced any of the speaker crackling issue.

I'll be taking it back to the store tonight. I will accept a new unit or just return, whatever they suggest.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Adding my name to the list.
I have an i9/32GB/1TB. I received it last friday. I have been setting things up on it over the weekend.
I had installed the supplemental update, mathematica, microsoft office, bettertouch tools, magnet, amphetamine, texmaker, intel power gadget. Thats all.
Nothing has been plugged into it besides power cord.
I used my beats solo 3 a little, which came with it, yesterday.

I closed the laptop last night to put it to sleep, and after a few minutes I heard the fans going. Opened it up to see that it had restarted due to the bridge os kernel panic blah blah blah.

I had not experienced any of the speaker crackling issue.

I'll be taking it back to the store tonight. I will accept a new unit or just return, whatever they suggest.
You are totally wasting your time exchanging it.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
You are totally wasting your time exchanging it.

My advanced replacement unit just arrived. Outer UPS box and inner white box looked fine, but upon unboxing saw two dings along the upper left hand side after opening the lid. WTF Apple?!?!

Are they small? Yes. Are they noticeable? Yes Should they be there on a $3500 laptop fresh out of the box? $@“# no :(

Contacted Apple to arrange a return for this one without even setting it up.

5036d331bc744aec43200259fb3e991f.jpg

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
My advanced replacement unit just arrived. Outer UPS box and inner white box looked fine, but upon unboxing saw two dings along the upper left hand side after opening the lid. WTF Apple?!?!

Are they small? Yes. Are they noticeable? Yes Should they be there on a $3500 laptop fresh out of the box? $@“# no :(

Contacted Apple to arrange a return for this one without even setting it up.

5036d331bc744aec43200259fb3e991f.jpg
Wow! Just SMH... I’m sorry.

claudio7ita

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
Bologna Italy
It is frustrating all the issues I heard , I had unfortunately sold my MacBook 12 2016 that had zero issues with the purpose of buying a new MacBook Pro 13 but now I must wait or go with one of the competition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.