Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

claudio7ita

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
Bologna Italy
I ended up returning my MBP yesterday. They offered to send me a replacement but everything I've read indicates that the replacement is likely to experience the same issues. So I figured I would just return it while I could. I'm going to go back to my 2012 MBP for now and keep an eye on how this whole thing pans out.
I will do the same almost if I had sold my MB. I hope that for the Mojave final release will be resolved.

Reactions: itsamacthing

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Return while you can, do not wait for a fix as the engineers have known about this issue for a long time and they cannot seem to figure out. I suspect they will eventually figure it out but it's not our job to troubleshoot this for them.
[doublepost=1534853134][/doublepost]Back on my 2017, feeling like I dodged a bullet. I will certainly jump back into the 2018 as soon as this is a confirmed kill .. it's a beast of a machine.

Reactions: dspdoc

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
So it is with mixed emotions that I want to let everyone here know that I am also returning my iMP (already returned my 2018 MBP). At this time I just don't think these T2 equipped machines are ready for primetime. They are far too buggy. I sort of feel like Apple is rushing this iOS/macOS molding thing a little too quickly. I think the T2 chips are part of the transition away from Intel slated to happen 2020ish (the writing is on the wall). In the process of this transition I am afraid there are going to be some major issues (think back to the PPC - Intel move)... That was a nightmare time for people like myself in recording studio environments. I pray this does NOT happen again. In the meantime I am downgrading to a 2017 5K iMac and will hang with that until some things get ironed out. I am really hoping for a "pro" Mac Mini with lots of options. Here's too hoping.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
In the meantime I am downgrading to a 2017 5K iMac and will hang with that until some things get ironed out. I am really hoping for a "pro" Mac Mini with lots of options. Here's too hoping.

That’s a shame about the iMP, but I can’t say that I blame you in the least.

Unfortunately if they come out with a “pro” Mac Mini, it will likely have a T2 chip unfortunately.

Don’t know if you ever considered the Surface Studio. Rumor I have heard (and I know how it can go with rumors) is that the next release will be similar to Mac Mini with the display and computer being separate units and no longer integrated.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
That’s a shame about the iMP, but I can’t say that I blame you in the least.

Unfortunately if they come out with a “pro” Mac Mini, it will likely have a T2 chip unfortunately.

Don’t know if you ever considered the Surface Studio. Rumor I have heard (and I know how it can go with rumors) is that the next release will be similar to Mac Mini with the display and computer being separate units and no longer integrated.
I agree that the "pro" Mac mini, and every Mac from here on out for that matter will have T2-T3-T4 chips etc, but I am hoping they will have these issues figured out by the time those new machines roll out. ;)

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I agree that the "pro" Mac mini, and every Mac from here on out for that matter will have T2-T3-T4 chips etc, but I am hoping they will have these issues figured out by the time those new machines roll out. ;)

We can hope. But then again if you’re having problems with the T2 chip in the iMP, you would hope they would have the issues figured out before rolling out the MBP models, but....

Reactions: dspdoc

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
We can hope. But then again if you’re having problems with the T2 chip in the iMP, you would hope they would have the issues figured out before rolling out the MBP models, but....
Great point, and a very sad one at that! You would think 8ish months would be enough time for these engineers to fix issues... Apparently they have too much on their plates?

Reactions: SDColorado

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Any updates on the effects of the new Mojave beta?
Please don't take this wrong way, as I am not trying to be a jerk here, but this has GOT to be fixed before Mojave. As I have said in a few posts, many of us professionals in critical working environments CANNOT jump to the latest OS as soon as it comes out. And we most certainly CANNOT do betas. It breaks many crucial programs and plug-ins we rely on every single day to work. It's fine if someone is doing nothing more than surfing the web and creating the occasional document to jump right on the latest and greatest, but it is often suicide for the rest of us. I just to hate to see so many here cheerleading the Mojave thing when we need a fix on High Sierra first. Please hold Apple accountable on the latest released and fully supported OS.

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
To be fair, it makes most sense for Apple to beta-test T2 Firmwares in a Mojave Beta and then provide a Supplementary Update to HS, if they decide to do so.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
As I have said in a few posts, many of us professionals in critical working environments CANNOT jump to the latest OS as soon as it comes out.

TOTALLY agree.
I don't want macOS to turn into iOS where you're constantly getting pushed to the latest update ASAP just to fix things. On the Mac it breaks way too many other critical workflow things

Reactions: Queen6 and dspdoc

kotlos

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2017
I just had my macbook pro 15 2018 crash with the bridge os error. I lost half a day of work. After thermal throttling, audio crackling, now this? :mad:
Can't read all 40 pages, is there anything that I can do to at least minimize the chances of this happening again?

ra004e

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
I have a quick observation on my crashes, the only time my 13 i7 has crashed is when I'm interacting with Google Chrome. Scrolling, moving window, etc it locks up and then reboots. The report that comes up after reboot starts with CoreOS error, but reading through the panic report/stack trace it keeps pointing to the Intel graphics driver as source which would make sense based on how the machine is crashing. I have not seen the crashes so far that others are describing in this thread. Machine is not connected to anything other than usb charger. Since I've tried just using Safari and FF and have not had an issue but will give it a few more days to determine if it's still an issue.

Remember Chrome was crashing Windows 10 after MS update

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/3/1...il-2018-update-chrome-crash-freezing-problems

Not saying that's an issue, just mentioning it. Anyone else here seeing this graphics crashing in kernel panic report, would be curious to know.

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
...is there anything that I can do to at least minimize the chances of this happening again?

Crashes seem to be related to activities occurring whilst the MBP is asleep, or waking from sleep.

So, to the extent possible... Don't let it go to sleep. Configure it to stay awake as much as possible.
And when it's time to close the lid for the day... do a clean shutdown.

Reactions: kotlos

guillone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
So it is with mixed emotions that I want to let everyone here know that I am also returning my iMP (already returned my 2018 MBP). At this time I just don't think these T2 equipped machines are ready for primetime. They are far too buggy. I sort of feel like Apple is rushing this iOS/macOS molding thing a little too quickly. I think the T2 chips are part of the transition away from Intel slated to happen 2020ish (the writing is on the wall). In the process of this transition I am afraid there are going to be some major issues (think back to the PPC - Intel move)... That was a nightmare time for people like myself in recording studio environments. I pray this does NOT happen again. In the meantime I am downgrading to a 2017 5K iMac and will hang with that until some things get ironed out. I am really hoping for a "pro" Mac Mini with lots of options. Here's too hoping.

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
Still crashing with the latest Mojave beta.

Model Name: Apple T2 chip
Firmware Version: 16P50366a

kotlos

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2017
Thanks @patwithamac. I had the computer crash AGAIN! so definitely something that I am doing is triggering the crashes.
The second time around, I had all the sleep and power settings disabled. The only thing running was the screen saver, which I disabled now. I am doing some heavy database stuff and I don't know if the load is part of the cause.

totally agree this whole situation is unacceptable and sucks major a**

Yep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.