Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsunflower

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2018
Happen'd three times to my MBP13".

Two times during watching a HD-Movie from the iTunes-Store in iTunes. Both times running on battery.

The picture froze, then goes to black and the computer dosen't responded to anything more, except forcing a reboot. Both times in the last 2 days. No external devices or adapters attached.

The third time during typing this comment: the screen went almost completely black, except half an inch at the top, and nothing reacts. So I have to force a restart - no Crash-Report this time.

Usually I work for hours running the Pioneer Rekordbox DJ-App with an external Samsung T5 SSD, Apple MagicKey & MagicPad, multiple (min. 3) DJ-Controllers, with multiple soundcards, some on an USB-C multihub and even an Acer USB-C-Powered Monitor. No issues then :-O

Also Adobe Lightroom with an external LaCie D2 with Thunderbolt3; also no issues.

I have also a 2017 MBP15" who has problems with the internal speakers. :-(

I bought the 2017 MBP after my 2011 MBP's-GPU died from the known graphics-problem - also happend to a friends 2012 MBP :-((

Reactions: M.Rizk

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Happen'd three times to my MBP13".
The third time during typing this comment: the screen went almost completely black, except half an inch at the top, and nothing reacts.

That's very interesting, I've not heard of this before. But the correlation I am seeing is that it might actually be video related, seeing as how many people have had the problem with external displays as well.

I would also like to hear what applications users have open when their KP occurs.

Reactions: M.Rizk

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I am pretty sure not all macbook pros are affected. Its been a few weeks for me with my mac completely set up from a fresh install and it has not crashed once for any reason (I am getting that youtube playing bug though). Mine is a 15 inch 2.6/32GB/2TB. I have been using filevault encryption since day 1 too
[doublepost=1534997817][/doublepost]

Just to add, I am running istat menus and am not experiencing the issue
When you get yours? Maybe newer ones fixed?

cybercho

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2015
Yep. Same issue. Chatted with Apple Support and reported the issue. First two paragraphs of my error are as follows (see very bottom). This issue always occurs when waking from sleep and with these parameters:

• Reinstalled High Sierra 10.13.6 AFTER supplemental update was available
  • Did not restore with time machine or migration assistant
  • Issue always occurs when plugged into power
  • Power nap was always disabled before/after reinstall of OS. (Never liked it and feel it's still buggy)
  • Crash occurs with or without Wake for Wifi Network access enabled
  • Have iStat Menus, Jumpcut, Magnet, Carbon Copy Cleaner, and Time Machine, Backup and Sync from Google, and iTunes Helper running in the background.

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version ":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)","timestamp":"2018-08-21 21:28:09.99 +0000","incident_id":"31753AFF-243A-4D95-8296-89CA7E34DF7F"}

{

"build" : "Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)",

"product" : "iBridge2,3",

"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 17.7.0: Fri Jul 6 19:25:51 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4570.71.3~1\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",

"incident" : "31753AFF-243A-4D95-8296-89CA7E34DF7F",

"crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",

"date" : "2018-08-21 21:28:09.92 +0000",
[doublepost=1535024190][/doublepost]
When you get yours? Maybe newer ones fixed?

Getting a newer one won't fix the issue as stated in several forums including this one. Getting a newer one just makes you feel better apparently. The consensus is there is an issue with the Bridge OS firmware as the ARM T2 chip needs to communicate to the Intel CPU. This issue is also occurring with people with the T1 chip. Getting this bug fixed is quite a difficult task as Apple has been working on this since the beginning of 2018! The best thing to do is type up your issue and chat with Apple support. Don't call as the process will take longer.

Reactions: dspdoc and doitdada

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
So I've decided to return my 2018 13" MacBook Pro. The fact this issue has occurred since the iMac Pro was released and there is still no clear fix leaves a feeling of uneasiness. Of course, this is not affecting everyone but there is enough users discussing this issue that there is some relevance to this problem. I'm sure at some point this will be addressed by Apple but a part of what I pay for is confidence in the product.

I understand that issues/defects/faults can occur and I don't expect Apple to be perfect in it's product line without fault. At the end of the day, its a product and like any other product made, there is always going to be issues that can or will occur. But I pay a premium for some expectation of confidence in the product and to have an issue arise so early, I think it's the right decision to return and wait until a more formal fix comes out from Apple.

I still think this is a fantastic machine but we are 42 pages in this thread and multiple users are commenting on this issue occurring. There is really two ways to look at this, use the product hopeful that a fix/solution will come from Apple or wait for the fix first then purchase. I'd rather put the ball in Apple's hands first before I take a leap of faith this will be fixed. If this is solved by Apple, I will repurchase the MacBook Pro.

Apple engineers are working on a fix... but no idea when that is coming. It's a known issue, not effecting only a few people. I suggest returning, waiting for Apple to fix it.. let it be stable for a while. I will gladly buy the 2018 then...even tho I am tempted to try something else

Reactions: rsg1010 and dspdoc

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
Apple engineers are working on a fix... but no idea when that is coming. It's a known issue, not effecting only a few people. I suggest returning, waiting for Apple to fix it.. let it be stable for a while. I will gladly buy the 2018 then...even tho I am tempted to try something else

Not enough users have updated the firmware because they aren’t Mojave testers. So some of these forum complains may be out of date.

Reactions: michael31986

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Not enough users have updated the firmware because they aren’t Mojave testers. So some of these forum complains may be out of date.
Yea. I tend to agree I mean if Apple has this issue since early 2018. It's almost a year. Maybe Mojave will fix. Not some beta version

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
That's very interesting, I've not heard of this before. But the correlation I am seeing is that it might actually be video related, seeing as how many people have had the problem with external displays as well.

I would also like to hear what applications users have open when their KP occurs.
It is not video related. It happened on my MBP with nothing at all connected and on my iMP with nothing but Universal Audio equipment connected. People need to stop spreading misinformation.

Reactions: BridgeOS

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
I bought a base 15" (with upgrade to 512GB storage), shortly after they were released. It was crashing with the Bridge OS error up to 4 times a day, so I returned it for a replacement. I received my replacement on Monday, and so far after 3 days/nights not a single crash.

As with the first machine, I am using the Apple official adapter to provide power while also having a monitor connected via HDMI, and an external HDD. FileVault on, sleep/power-nap enabled.

I never migrate data from old machines - I prefer to setup new. Beyond the normal setup process of iCloud, locations services, etc, so far the only Applications I haven't installed on this new one that were running on first machine are: IntelliJ, Pycharm, Xcode, Python virtualenv, MongoHub, homebrew and SuperDuper. Planning to put those on over the next couple days and hopefully still see stability.

I doubt any of those installs should make any difference, and I'm not confident I won't see crashes with the replacement (my guess is this is a firmware issue), but will report back if I have any useful information after more time with the machine.

Reactions: Hakiroto

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
It is not video related. It happened on my MBP with nothing at all connected and on my iMP with nothing but Universal Audio equipment connected. People need to stop spreading misinformation.

Yeah, I mentioned in an earlier post that the first BridgeOS error I received was after initial setup. Nothing else attached or installed at that point. Just bare-bones. I have never attached mine to an external monitor to date.

Reactions: bigcat and dspdoc

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
He was talking about the iMac Pro, the first Mac with the T2 chip.
I'm sorry, this was my mistake.

All of my last 4 KPs have pointed to AppleSMC like in this post below. Has anyone checked using these steps and had it NOT say AppleSMC? Not sure what that would mean if anything but maybe a pattern?

reposting here from https://discussions.apple.com/message/33766089#33766089, to solicit more feedback.

I received my brand new Macbook Pro yesterday and after letting it sleep overnight, I unfortunately ran into the same BridgeOS error when I opened it this morning. Specs: i7/32GB RAM/1TB SSD. No accessories connected via USB or Bluetooth except for USB-C power chord. Computer lid was shut overnight. This is a clean re-install with option command R combo and formatted with APFS (case sensitive, encrypted).

After a bit of digging, I believe in this particular case, the blame falls to AppleSMC. How? If you look at the panic string, you will observe:

"Panicked thread: 0xffffffe0009706e0, backtrace: 0xffffffe016b3b530, tid: 337"
ref: https://gist.github.com/sdebnath/fab15b864c09fb70312f9c13c06e03c3#file-gistfile1-txt-L38

tid: 337 in this case refers to thread ID 337. The stack frame right below it is unfortunately undecipherable as I don't have the symbols to match the addresses to function names, however, the full report does list out the processes and associated threads under "processByPid" and "threadById" respectively. You can search for the tid and in my case:

"name": "AppleSMC"
ref: https://gist.github.com/sdebnath/fab15b864c09fb70312f9c13c06e03c3#file-gistfile1-txt-L2009

I will try to reset the SMC using the instructions at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 and see if that improves anything. Very curios if others are observing failures with AppleSMC as well. Would help narrow down this issue for sure!

Full panic report: https://gist.github.com/sdebnath/fab15b864c09fb70312f9c13c06e03c3

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Sorry, not taking chances with a beta OS to try to fix this... will wait for a confirmed fix and then buy again. till then, happily using my 2017 with very little issues..

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I bought a base 15" (with upgrade to 512GB storage), shortly after they were released. It was crashing with the Bridge OS error up to 4 times a day, so I returned it for a replacement. I received my replacement on Monday, and so far after 3 days/nights not a single crash.

As with the first machine, I am using the Apple official adapter to provide power while also having a monitor connected via HDMI, and an external HDD. FileVault on, sleep/power-nap enabled.

I never migrate data from old machines - I prefer to setup new. Beyond the normal setup process of iCloud, locations services, etc, so far the only Applications I haven't installed on this new one that were running on first machine are: IntelliJ, Pycharm, Xcode, Python virtualenv, MongoHub, homebrew and SuperDuper. Planning to put those on over the next couple days and hopefully still see stability.

I doubt any of those installs should make any difference, and I'm not confident I won't see crashes with the replacement (my guess is this is a firmware issue), but will report back if I have any useful information after more time with the machine.
Would you consider moving iTunes music and photos missing data?

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I'm sorry, this was my mistake.

All of my last 4 KPs have pointed to AppleSMC like in this post below. Has anyone checked using these steps and had it NOT say AppleSMC? Not sure what that would mean if anything but maybe a pattern?
SMC code has to have been ported to BridgeOS as there is no longer a physical SMC unit. I’ll look if mine does it again.

Reactions: zargap

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Sorry - I don't understand your question. Are you asking that I migrate the itunes/photos data to the new machine as a test for stability?
You said you don't like to migrate data due to effects it may have.
Do you think migrating iTunes and photos. Using migration assistant is a problem?

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
SMC code has to have been ported to BridgeOS as there is no longer a physical SMC unit. I’ll look if mine does it again.

Yeah, I guess I gotta assume that this process is the software version of the SMC or something, maybe there's something off about it or maybe like someone else suggested it's just a single manifestation of various lower-lying issues. It would be interesting if other processes than AppleSMC have caused this type of KP or like its a different process for awake crashes (I think i've had one while awake, if at all) and asleep crashes. But that's all conjecture.
[doublepost=1535040245][/doublepost]
Do you think migrating iTunes and photos. Using migration assistant is a problem?
This issue has been affecting people who did and didnt use migration assistant as far as I can tell so it isn't the culprit.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I just want to take a moment to commend everyone here for all your hard work. Everyone should be getting paid by Apple for doing all this legwork for their engineers.

However in a wicked twist of reality we are actually paying Apple. How’s that for irony!?!?

Reactions: doitdada and Wags

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008

I don't use the migration assistant more for a personal preference. I don't think migration assistant is an issue though - I didn't use it on the first MBP I had and that one was crashing multiple times a day.

When I have a machine for a few years, a lot of stuff piles up that is not needed anymore, so I like to just start fresh and install apps on demand as needed. I always keep full disk backups so will just manually drag over stuff such as bash profiles and other configuration items.

As for music/photos/other digital media, I built an Ubuntu server that serves up a Samba share with that data, so it never is on my actual MBP.

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
I just want to take a moment to commend everyone here for all your hard work. Everyone should be getting paid by Apple for doing all this legwork for their engineers.

However in a wicked twist of reality we are actually paying Apple. How’s that for irony!?!?

You’re giving them feedback so they can make the product better. The product is helping you make your living. You’re doing the same thing that has always been done since the first cavemen traded spearheads and obsidian blades.

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
You’re giving them feedback so they can make the product better. The product is helping you make your living. You’re doing the same thing that has always been done since the first cavemen traded spearheads and obsidian blades.
And sending strongly-worded mean messages to the people literally working to fix a problem you’re experiencing isn’t helpful to anyone. Unrelated personal diatribes sure are making this topic increasingly hard to parse especially for people coming in late which just causes more disinformation and already debunked theories to spread. I’m not gonna address that anymore though :)

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
It is not just feedback that’s being provided. This has gone WAY beyond that at this time. You’ve got many people on here spending hours and hours “troubleshooting”. You have no idea the amount of work myself or anyone else has spent on this, so don’t pretend to.

It’s time consuming and takes away from actual work in the studio that could be getting done. What happened to “It just works”?
[doublepost=1535044210][/doublepost]
And sending strongly-worded mean messages to the people literally working to fix a problem you’re experiencing isn’t helpful to anyone. Unrelated personal diatribes sure are making this topic increasingly hard to parse especially for people coming in late which just causes more disinformation and already debunked theories to spread. I’m not gonna address that anymore though :)
This is your default response; jumping to the defense of Apple.

Don’t speak for me or for others. It isn’t right.
Nothing I’ve said has been “unrelated”. Just because you do not like the format in which something is being presented, doesn’t make it any less valid. You’re trying to play censor here.

You’re the one creating confusion and division by continually insinuating that information being presented might be disingenuous. Please just stop.

BridgeOS

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
And sending strongly-worded mean messages to the people literally working to fix a problem you’re experiencing isn’t helpful to anyone.

Personally I think it's fair game to criticize Apple, even if they are working on a fix, when they've left customers in the dark on this issue for over 7 months. I mean come on, Apple support pretends that they've never even heard of BridgeOS kernel panics. We should be past this.

Reactions: Queen6 and dspdoc

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA

Seems more and more. Either dont care how stable when released or will let the consumers deal with it.

Now we know why this was quiet launch. Didn’t want kp on stage or in the exhibition hall.

Reactions: dspdoc

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Personally I think it's fair game to criticize Apple, even if they are working on a fix, when they've left customers in the dark on this issue for over 7 months. I mean come on, Apple support pretends that they've never even heard of BridgeOS kernel panics. We should be past this.

Of course it is fair to criticize them. If they had announced that they were holding off the release of the new MBP’s, because they had discovered an issue with the T2 chips in the iMP and were working on a fix, before releasing new models with that same T2, people would be disappointed. But it would also be difficult to criticize them for what would have been a prudent move.

But it appears they have been aware of the issue since January and released the new MBP’s anyway, despite not having a fix in place? I think when you do something like that, you are open to a fair share of criticism. Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: Queen6 and dspdoc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.