Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Well, I for one can't believe I stumbled across this thread.

I plunked down $4k for the i9. I'm a professional user. I spent the first day stunned by the repercussions of switching over to USB-C. Totally crippling but I had no choice: I had to upgrade.

Day 2 and 3: Kernel panics while I'm away from the computer. Brand new computer with no data migration whatsoever. Logs point to BridgeOS. I run the i9 closed, with a non-4k monitor and a Thunderbolt 2 Raid connected to a Caldigit TS3+ hub. PowerNap switched off, FileVault disabled.

On top of this, I'm having nagging Bluetooth issues that are difficult to identify. Super laggy tablet, and a keyboard that periodically disconnects and connects, over and over again.

To it's credit, Apple is currently providing me with unparalleled customer support. Daily phone calls (with the same case rep) primarily involving data collection. No acknowledgment on his part that this is something affecting more than just me, even when asked directly (you'll have to speak to a technician for more information on that). The amount of attention I'm getting is both encouraging and worrying at the same time.
They will never admit anything significant or widespread. Even when a replacement or repair program happens it’s the “ small number of units may be affected” response.

Reactions: eagerwu

Erdnuss90

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
Yeah, I'd like to see the report on a waking crash to compare to a sleeping one. I'm not sure having the computer closed necessarily means it isn't a video issue of some type but I haven't seen anything that says it is either.

I just registered here to show you that. This was a waking crash (already sent the MacBook back - 13’ 2018 256 gb/ 16 gb ram. I hope my replace MacBook will not have that issue.

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)","timestamp":"2018-08-17 08:13:29.57 +0000","incident_id":"25C291E9-A550-4E88-8E8E-FE45B8BAD18A"}
{
"build" : "Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)",
"product" : "iBridge2,4",
"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 17.7.0: Fri Jul 6 19:25:51 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4570.71.3~1\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",
"incident" : "25C291E9-A550-4E88-8E8E-FE45B8BAD18A",
"crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",
"date" : "2018-08-17 08:13:29.14 +0000",
"panicString" : "panic(cpu 1 caller 0xfffffff00af73984): macOS watchdog detected\nDebugger message: panic\nMemory ID: 0xff\nOS version: 15P6703\nKernel version: Darwin Kernel Version 17.7.0: Fri Jul 6 19:25:51 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4570.71.3~1\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010\nKernelCache UUID: 26CB7FFEC7AA68DD8FCEC101101C7E4E\niBoot version: iBoot-4076.75.2\nsecure boot?: YES\nx86 EFI Boot State: 0xd\nx86 System State: 0x0\nx86 Power State: 0x0\nPaniclog version: 9\nKernel slide: 0x0000000004800000\nKernel text base: 0xfffffff00b804000\nEpoch Time: sec usec\n Boot : 0x5b7307ce 0x0000cb6a\n Sleep : 0x5b766f4f 0x0007a3cb\n Wake : 0x5b7679a1 0x00055611\n Calendar: 0x5b76838e 0x000210cc\n\nPanicked task 0xffffffe0000b22b0: 3126 pages, 205 threads: pid 0: kernel_task\nPanicked thread: 0xffffffe0000da370, backtrace:
"panicFlags" : "0x102",
"otherString" : "\n** Stackshot Succeeded ** Bytes Traced 96656 **\n",
"macOSPanicFlags" : "0x0",
"macOSPanicString" : "BAD MAGIC! (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available",
"memoryStatus" : {"compressorSize":0,"compressions":0,"decompressions":0,"busyBufferCount":0,"pageSize":16384,"memoryPressure":false,"memoryPages":{"active":9594,"throttled":0,"fileBacked":9517,"wired":5298,"purgeable":20,"inactive":1803,"free":10713,"speculative":2883}},
"processByPid" : {
"0" : {"timesThrottled":7,"pageIns":0,"wait

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Are you saying you think the T2 chip itself is overheating?

I just have to imagine that it's some sort of customer service strategy to deny that more people are having the same issue. Something that maybe works well in smaller scales or to people who are not cool enough for this site :cool: Bluetooth lag is something I get with mice that's a real bummer but yeah, incredibly hard to pinpoint why it happens, I hope that's not tied to this somehow.

I'm mostly hoping its software since thats more convenient to fix on our end :)

I wouldn't want to say that the chip is overheating, but my stats are showing that its running at about 55c whilst my CPU and GPU are running at 46-48. Nonetheless, I've only had speaker issues and cosmetic defects, hence a replacement is on its way. Plus the keys are a little warmer than I would have liked.

One thing I did notice was that my replacement took 5 days to process as opposed to previously which was around 24hrs, here I'm thinking that maybe they were waiting for a new batch of components. I'm not sure, speculating here

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SDColorado

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
I got my 15" MBP on Friday 8/17. 2 KP's so far, once each night Tuesday night & Wednesday night. Both while the MBP was asleep and plugged into power. Power was the only thing plugged in.

Power Nap & Filevault disabled, was waking with Apple Watch, but I had been doing that since Saturday.

The only thing I can think of that changed on Tuesday was that I plugged in a new USB-C external SSD enclosure that had just arrived. It wasn't plugged in while the MBP was sleeping however.

I opened a ticket with Apple Support today but the tech didn't act like she had heard of it and it took her quite awhile to "research" it. All she ended up doing was a remote diagnostic that of course passed.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
On a positive note, since this thread has taken a bit of a negative turn....

One thing that has really been a saving grace amid the crashes has been the Apple customer support folks from the techs, engineers and sales folks. I don’t know if you are allowed to give a shout out to them by name or not, so without putting too much identifying info out there, Katerina in sales was awesome and talked me off the ledge when I was willing to just send units #1 and #2 back for a refund and buy a Razer or Dell XPS.

Of course the jury is still out on unit #3, but I do appreciate their efforts in helping me out.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
On a positive note, since this thread has taken a bit of a negative turn....

One thing that has really been a saving grace amid the crashes has been the Apple customer support folks from the techs, engineers and sales folks. I don’t know if you are allowed to give a shout out to them by name or not, so without putting too much identifying info out there, Katerina in sales was awesome and talked me off the ledge when I was willing to just send units #1 and #2 back for a refund and buy a Razer or Dell XPS.

Of course the jury is still out on unit #3, but I do appreciate their efforts in helping me out.

Ill vouch for that mate, without a doubt, mine came with a damaged key, they don't hesitate to hand you a new machine. Hence I don't really mind waiting around for a new one to come. I can't imagine many other firms would let you hold onto your device whilst your new one is manufactured AND give you an additional 5 days for data migration between the two.

That you can't fault

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Ill vouch for that mate, without a doubt, mine came with a damaged key, they don't hesitate to hand you a new machine. Hence I don't really mind waiting around for a new one to come. I can't imagine many other firms would let you hold onto your device whilst your new one is manufactured AND give you an additional 5 days for data migration between the two.

That you can't fault

And even longer than that. They originally told me I could have up to 30 days to return my first one while awaiting for the replacement to arrive. But the replacement arrived with physical damage. They reset the return period another 30 days, even though I didn’t need it and worked out a deal on a replacement from an in store pickup, instead of making me go through the CTO process again.

Reactions: Premal212

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
And even longer than that. They originally told me I could have up to 30 days to return my first one while awaiting for the replacement to arrive. But the replacement arrived with physical damage. They reset the return period another 30 days, even though I didn’t need it and worked out a deal on a replacement from an in store pickup, instead of making me go through the CTO process again.

Ah that's nice to hear, I am most definitely going to ask for an extension on my 14 days with my Mac when it arrives, I don't want to be left out on day 16 with OS errors.

When you say going through the whole CTO process again, did they have your model in stock? I have a 32gb 512, no store near me in a 100m radius stocks them. It's straight from China.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Ah that's nice to hear, I am most definitely going to ask for an extension on my 14 days with my Mac when it arrives, I don't want to be left out on day 16 with OS errors.

When you say going through the whole CTO process again, did they have your model in stock? I have a 32gb 512, no store near me in a 100m radius stocks them. It's straight from China.

They did not, I had an i9/32GB/512 and the stores only had i9/32/1T in stock. They worked with me on their end on it by “partnering” with the local store. Which I am guessing is code for reimbursing them

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Finessed nicely !!! Well done

Now go ask Dell to do something like that.

I hope your machine continues well, when mine arrives I don’t know whether I should do data migration or not. We haven’t established if this is software or hardware yet?

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I just registered here to show you that. This was a waking crash (already sent the MacBook back - 13’ 2018 256 gb/ 16 gb ram. I hope my replace MacBook will not have that issue.

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)","timestamp":"2018-08-17 08:13:29.57 +0000","incident_id":"25C291E9-A550-4E88-8E8E-FE45B8BAD18A"}
{
"build" : "Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)",
"product" : "iBridge2,4",
"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 17.7.0: Fri Jul 6 19:25:51 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4570.71.3~1\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",
"incident" : "25C291E9-A550-4E88-8E8E-FE45B8BAD18A",
"crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",
"date" : "2018-08-17 08:13:29.14 +0000",
"panicString" : "panic(cpu 1 caller 0xfffffff00af73984): macOS watchdog detected\nDebugger message: panic\nMemory ID: 0xff\nOS version: 15P6703\nKernel version: Darwin Kernel Version 17.7.0: Fri Jul 6 19:25:51 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4570.71.3~1\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010\nKernelCache UUID: 26CB7FFEC7AA68DD8FCEC101101C7E4E\niBoot version: iBoot-4076.75.2\nsecure boot?: YES\nx86 EFI Boot State: 0xd\nx86 System State: 0x0\nx86 Power State: 0x0\nPaniclog version: 9\nKernel slide: 0x0000000004800000\nKernel text base: 0xfffffff00b804000\nEpoch Time: sec usec\n Boot : 0x5b7307ce 0x0000cb6a\n Sleep : 0x5b766f4f 0x0007a3cb\n Wake : 0x5b7679a1 0x00055611\n Calendar: 0x5b76838e 0x000210cc\n\nPanicked task 0xffffffe0000b22b0: 3126 pages, 205 threads: pid 0: kernel_task\nPanicked thread: 0xffffffe0000da370, backtrace:
"panicFlags" : "0x102",
"otherString" : "\n** Stackshot Succeeded ** Bytes Traced 96656 **\n",
"macOSPanicFlags" : "0x0",
"macOSPanicString" : "BAD MAGIC! (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available",
"memoryStatus" : {"compressorSize":0,"compressions":0,"decompressions":0,"busyBufferCount":0,"pageSize":16384,"memoryPressure":false,"memoryPages":{"active":9594,"throttled":0,"fileBacked":9517,"wired":5298,"purgeable":20,"inactive":1803,"free":10713,"speculative":2883}},
"processByPid" : {
"0" : {"timesThrottled":7,"pageIns":0,"wait
Same machine I was targeting.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008

I hope your machine continues well, when mine arrives I don’t know whether I should do data migration or not. We haven’t established if this is software or hardware yet?
I would say set up as new and migrate music photos and documents after.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

I can’t speak for Dell, but with apologies in advance for a bit of a thread hijack, I will relay a similar Microsoft story.

Last July I purchased a top end Surface Pro from my local store and with it the 4 year Microsoft Complete Coverage for Business.

To begin with it is a much better deal than Apple Care + in many ways. It is 4 years rather than 2, covers hardware and software issues and 2 incidents of accidental damage with no deductible. It’s about the same price as Apple Care + and Apple charges a deductible. I believe $99 for screen replacement.

So anyway, second day I owned it I was in a hurry and grabbed the device and thought that the “MagSafe” type connector would simply detach and fall harmlessly away. Due to just plain bad luck it didn’t and snapped back in between the screen and keyboard just as I was closing it. The result was a hairline crack along the bottom of the display.

I was upset about my carelessness, but called the store to file the first of my two damage claims. The store manager returned my call and said “You have only had it 2 days? I am not going to file a damage claim and have it count as an incident. Just back it up, bring it in and we will just swap it out”

TL:DR. You never know what they will do for you until you ask and sometimes it’s just asking the right way, like accepting responsibility for what you may have done rather than try to BS them

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
I would say set up as new and migrate music photos and documents after.

Everything I have is all cloud based, really, all I need to do is download Adobe CC and Office, then the other random bits here and there. As for settings.. really it's not more than 4 minutes of work. It's probably easier than trying to get 70gb of photos across data migration when they are all on the cloud right now.

I just don't want to be 'scared' of the kernel panic, hence the reason for not doing it. I guess I'll not migrate and stress the hell out of it, displays, hdmis, external drives. And pray
[doublepost=1535062628][/doublepost]
I can’t speak for Dell, but with apologies in advance for a bit of a thread hijack, I will relay a similar Microsoft story.

Last July I purchased a top end Surface Pro from my local store and with it the 4 year Microsoft Complete Coverage for Business.

To begin with it is a much better deal than Apple Care + in many ways. It is 4 years rather than 2, covers hardware and software issues and 2 incidents of accidental damage with no deductible. It’s about the same price as Apple Care + and Apple charges a deductible. I believe $99 for screen replacement.

So anyway, second day I owned it I was in a hurry and grabbed the device and thought that the “MagSafe” type connector would simply detach and fall harmlessly away. Due to just plain bad luck it didn’t and snapped back in between the screen and keyboard just as I was closing it. The result was a hairline crack along the bottom of the display.

I was upset about my carelessness, but called the store to file the first of my two damage claims. The store manager returned my call and said “You have only had it 2 days? I am not going to file a damage claim and have it count as an incident. Just back it up, bring it in and we will just swap it out”

TL:DR. You never know what they will do for you until you ask and sometimes it’s just asking the right way, like accepting responsibility for what you may have done rather than try to BS them

This is it, I remember going through 4 MBPs when the 2016 came out, they ended up giving me all sorts of stuff for free. I didn't know Microsoft were good at this kind of stuff. I've had bad experience with Dell in the past, hence I stick with Apple. I don't mind paying a little more for my Mac knowing that at the end of the day, I'll be sorted.

Back to the thread, someone mentioned they were going to release a patch (this week) surrounding the speaker issue, that hasn't been released yet, I was thinking maybe they would wrap the whole kerfuffle in one.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Everything I have is all cloud based, really, all I need to do is download Adobe CC and Office, then the other random bits here and there. As for settings.. really it's not more than 4 minutes of work. It's probably easier than trying to get 70gb of photos across data migration when they are all on the cloud right now.

I just don't want to be 'scared' of the kernel panic, hence the reason for not doing it. I guess I'll not migrate and stress the hell out of it, displays, hdmis, external drives. And pray
[doublepost=1535062628][/doublepost]

This is it, I remember going through 4 MBPs when the 2016 came out, they ended up giving me all sorts of stuff for free. I didn't know Microsoft were good at this kind of stuff. I've had bad experience with Dell in the past, hence I stick with Apple. I don't mind paying a little more for my Mac knowing that at the end of the day, I'll be sorted.

Back to the thread, someone mentioned they were going to release a patch (this week) surrounding the speaker issue, that hasn't been released yet, I was thinking maybe they would wrap the whole kerfuffle in one.
ah okay thats diff. For me i keep my music and photos saved, no cloud for me. So thats why ill just migrate those later

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
ah okay thats diff. For me i keep my music and photos saved, no cloud for me. So thats why ill just migrate those later

I remember migrating 4 times in 2016, I think one of the times something ended up corrupted, I had to do a fresh install a couple months down the line.

Are you waiting for a new machine too?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I didn't know Microsoft were good at this kind of stuff. I've had bad experience with Dell in the past, hence I stick with Apple. I don't mind paying a little more for my Mac knowing that at the end of the day, I'll be sorted. .

I am not sure if Microsoft as a whole is, or just that store manager. Either way, it left me with a positive impression and I actually really like the machine. I would definitely buy from them again.

I saw that over on the speaker crackling thread as well. I appear it was just rumor. Some folks reporting back that the latest Mojave update didn't fix the issue either. No surprise there. There was nothing in the release notes that hinted that it would.

I had a speaker crackling issue with unit #1 as well, but I think not the same issue. Even when idle it would occasionally hiss and crackle, kind of like an AM radio when it is turned up, but not tuned into a station.

As for the migration vs not migrating. I don't think it makes a lick of difference as far as the BridgeOS errors go. My first crash was literally 30 mins out of the box and all I did was perform the initial setup, before going to let my dogs out of a bit. When I came back up it wouldn't wake up when I pressed a key. Had to push the power button in and it started up to a BridgeOS error message. I didn't even do the supplemental update yet, let alone migrate or install anything. Nothing attached but the power cord.

That said, I did the migration on the first unit, thinking of it as just a one-off type problem. What was odd about the migration was that after it completed and rebooted it, disk info showed system taking up about 128GB of space, which was about 2.5X the space it was taking up on the originating computer.

I think maybe it has to do with this local snapshot issue discussed here?

This time I decide to just do a fresh install. I still have an old 120GB iPod with all my music on it and it is also in a library on my iMac. So I can get that back. Photos I have back up to an external disk, etc. More time consuming, but nothing lost either.

Last edited:

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Well, I for one can't believe I stumbled across this thread.

I plunked down $4k for the i9. I'm a professional user. I spent the first day stunned by the repercussions of switching over to USB-C. Totally crippling but I had no choice: I had to upgrade.

Day 2 and 3: Kernel panics while I'm away from the computer. Brand new computer with no data migration whatsoever. Logs point to BridgeOS. I run the i9 closed, with a non-4k monitor and a Thunderbolt 2 Raid connected to a Caldigit TS3+ hub. PowerNap switched off, FileVault disabled.

On top of this, I'm having nagging Bluetooth issues that are difficult to identify. Super laggy tablet, and a keyboard that periodically disconnects and connects, over and over again.

To it's credit, Apple is currently providing me with unparalleled customer support. Daily phone calls (with the same case rep) primarily involving data collection. No acknowledgment on his part that this is something affecting more than just me, even when asked directly (you'll have to speak to a technician for more information on that). The amount of attention I'm getting is both encouraging and worrying at the same time.
This is good. It means somebody is asking for the info. Better if they ask for the machine. That’s the one thing I’m curious about is whether the units going back are being acquired by engineering or simply DOA’d. Hard for the user to tell unless somebody told them. There are usually quotas for units taken to engineering so once its passed everybody else just gets treated normally even if they have a bad case.

Last edited:

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I am not sure if Microsoft as a whole is, or just that store manager. Either way, it left me with a positive impression and I actually really like the machine. I would definitely buy from them again.

I saw that over on the speaker crackling thread as well. I appear it was just rumor. Some folks reporting back that the latest Mojave update didn't fix the issue either. No surprise there. There was nothing in the release notes that hinted that it would.

I had a speaker crackling issue with unit #1 as well, but I think not the same issue. Even when idle it would occasionally hiss and crackle, kind of like an AM radio when it is turned up, but not tuned into a station.

As for the migration vs not migrating. I don't think it makes a lick of difference as far as the BridgeOS errors go. My first crash was literally 30 mins out of the box and all I did was perform the initial setup, before going to let my dogs out of a bit. When I came back up it wouldn't wake up when I pressed a key. Had to push the power button in and it started up to a BridgeOS error message. I didn't even do the supplemental update yet, let alone migrate or install anything. Nothing attached but the power cord.

That said, I did the migration on the first unit, thinking of it as just a one-off type problem. What was odd about the migration was that after it completed and rebooted it, disk info showed system taking up about 128GB of space, which was about 2.5X the space it was taking up on the originating computer.

I think maybe it has to do with this local snapshot issue discussed here?

This time I decide to just do a fresh install. I still have an old 120GB iPod with all my music on it and it is also in a library on my iMac. So I can get that back. Photos I have back up to an external disk, etc. More time consuming, but nothing lost either.

I also did a fresh install, moved all files I needed over manually, and reinstalled the few programs I use. Didn't matter, as I still had the Bridge OS crashes during sleep.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This is good. It means somebody is asking for the info. Better if they ask for the machine. That’s the one thing I’m curious about is whether the units going back are being acquired by engineering or simply DOA’d. Hard for the user to tell unless somebody told them. There are usually quotas for units taken to engineering so once its passed everybody else just gets treated normally even if they have a bad case.

Apple ordered me a replacement machine (sent to a local Apple store) and keeps calling to see when I will pick it up. I keep asking why would I even bother with an exchange when others have gotten multiple machines and kept having the same issue. The Apple rep keeps stressing that they want to "capture" my machine to test it. I'm not keen to go through the whole exchange, wipe, reinstall process just so they can do this though. If they are confident it's hardware, that's one thing, but there's no point exchanging for a software/firmware defect when the same thing will happen on the replacement. Furthermore, who knows if the replacement will have other issues that my current one doesn't have (crackling speakers, cosmetic damage, crashes while awake, etc.). No thanks.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Apple ordered me a replacement machine (sent to a local Apple store) and keeps calling to see when I will pick it up. I keep asking why would I even bother with an exchange when others have gotten multiple machines and kept having the same issue. The Apple rep keeps stressing that they want to "capture" my machine to test it. I'm not keen to go through the whole exchange, wipe, reinstall process just so they can do this though. If they are confident it's hardware, that's one thing, but there's no point exchanging for a software/firmware defect when the same thing will happen on the replacement. Furthermore, who knows if the replacement will have other issues that my current one doesn't have (crackling speakers, cosmetic damage, crashes while awake, etc.). No thanks.
That’s a bit suspect, but kind of funny. Sounds like they want to use you as a test case. Ask them how much the contract pays. ;) jk

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Boy, this humble thread I started exactly one month ago now has over 86,500 views and 47 pages of responses. I've also seen screenshots of this discussion on tech blogs and videos. We're famous! Although I'd rather be invisible, with a computer that doesn't crash...!
[doublepost=1535072267][/doublepost]
That’s a bit suspect, but kind of funny. Sounds like they want to use you as a test case. Ask them how much the contract pays. ;) jk

This exactly! Every time I talk to them it seems they don't care about what they're putting the customer through. They are only interested in capturing my machine. At least offer us free AppleCare or something. Sheesh...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.