Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickf1

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2018
Sydney, AU
Can you guys please check the end of your crash dumps ? My MBP 15 (i9, 32, 1TB) only had 2 crashes since July 18th, and somehow the logs have disappeared so I can't paste them here.
However, they contained a "notes" section at the end of the file where it said something about the hard drive (like /dev/rdisk1 stopped responding).
I'd like to know if you have the same message or something different? That might mean that the issue lies with the SSD or the disk management from the T2 chip if everyone has the same message.
Just trying to see if we can progress this a bit...

Reactions: M.Rizk and rurza

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Can you guys please check the end of your crash dumps ? My MBP 15 (i9, 32, 1TB) only had 2 crashes since July 18th, and somehow the logs have disappeared so I can't paste them here.
However, they contained a "notes" section at the end of the file where it said something about the hard drive (like /dev/rdisk1 stopped responding).
I'd like to know if you have the same message or something different? That might mean that the issue lies with the SSD or the disk management from the T2 chip if everyone has the same message.
Just trying to see if we can progress this a bit...

All of my Bridge OS logs have this at the end in the notes section:

"notes" : ["Source: \/dev\/rdisk1","33 unindexed user-stack frames from 18 pids: 26,27,28,29,30,35,36,37,38,40,41,43,45,46,50,51,52,62"]

Although the numerical values are different for each one.

onelm

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2018
Yeah, I've been watching that other thread too. I think my machine is waking up during sleep just like yours. The only difference is that mine kernel panics sometimes and you say yours hasn't yet. Not sure if it's relevant, but I always put it to sleep from the Apple menu with the lid open. Maybe I'll try closing the lid to see what happens.

I experimented with all combinations of 1 display vs 2, lid open or closed, manual sleep or allow to sleep on its own based on Energy Saver prefs. Tried with power nap off as well. No change in behaviour, always got overnight panics. (This applies to both 2017 and 2018 MBP).

I have _never_ had a sleep KP if I sleep the machines with the displays manually powered off, or disconnected completely, so that's certainly different to many other people here.

Reactions: doitdada

rurza

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
After reinstalling the OS (clean install) all issues were gone... for a 3 hours.

1) The Mac isn't waking up (sometimes)
2) Cursor sometimes is interrupting (until restart, and only when one finger is placed on trackpad)
3) Mac sometimes isn't booting the OS – after typing FileVault password machines freezes – there is only avatar and blurred wallpaper on the screen

Basically issues are mutually exclusive – I can't wake the Mac, have to turn it off with power button, then it can't boot and when everything seems fine, then cursor is interrupting

nickf1

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2018
Sydney, AU
All of my Bridge OS logs have this at the end in the notes section:

"notes" : ["Source: \/dev\/rdisk1","33 unindexed user-stack frames from 18 pids: 26,27,28,29,30,35,36,37,38,40,41,43,45,46,50,51,52,62"]

Although the numerical values are different for each one.

Thanks for that, that's the kind of message I saw too!
Do you remember if you were doing a lot of things on your MBP when you have a higher number of PIDs ?
I'm trying to see if there's a correlation between the number of unindexed frames and the activity/load. When the MBP crashes during sleep, we should see a small number (I think mine was a smaller number than you, like 5 or 6 processes, and it only crashed at night), and when it crashes during active mode, a lot more processes might be involved, therefore a higher number of PIDs should be reflected.
By the look of your PID values, these are all root processes, services, daemons etc. Did this crash happen during your MBP sleep ?

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for that, that's the kind of message I saw too!
Do you remember if you were doing a lot of things on your MBP when you have a higher number of PIDs ?
I'm trying to see if there's a correlation between the number of unindexed frames and the activity/load. When the MBP crashes during sleep, we should see a small number (I think mine was a smaller number than you, like 5 or 6 processes, and it only crashed at night), and when it crashes during active mode, a lot more processes might be involved, therefore a higher number of PIDs should be reflected.
By the look of your PID values, these are all root processes, services, daemons etc. Did this crash happen during your MBP sleep ?

Every one of my BridgeOS crashes have happened during sleep in the middle of the night. I have not yet had a crash while the machine was awake.

(It could, of course, be waking up on its own during sleep and then crashing and restarting...)

Danwilson282

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2018
This is my first post on this forum, I signed up specifically to reply to this having seen the thread. I bought the 15” 2018 2.6 model and was experiencing very severe issues as documented. At the time, I could find no posts where anybody was experiencing the exact same issues as my unit. I had no external devices connected, and had tried everything from fresh reinstall to internet recovery. I was experiencing crashes every 5 minutes, particularly under load. The computer would freeze then blast the fans for 0.5 secs and reboot. I could quite easily reproduce by attempting to use Lightroom which lasted no more than 5 mins.

It was stable when not under load, and had no issues with waking from sleep although sometimes got into a freeze-reboot cycle. It would work perfectly under bootcamp, even under heavy load, suggesting to me either the T2 or software issue.

After quite easily replicating the problem in store, they replaced my unit immediately and I have had no further issues after quite heavy use for the last few weeks. The techs seemed very interested in my machine but told me that I was the first to come with that specific problem. I also noticed a massive performance boost since replacing, when it was behaving I was somewhat underwhelmed by the Lightroom improvements in my first unit (I upgraded from a 2010 unibody MacBook!). Now it is lightning fast, what a machine. My FCP and Lightroom workflow is amazing. Plus under bootcamp I can run every game I have tried at Max settings under 1680 resolution (Resident Evil 7, Battlefield 1, Rise of Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat X, Doom). Really impresssive machine.

I currently have the T2 boot check disabled, as I have installed Windows 10 to an external USB, and it is working fine in both OS. It suggests to me there is a faulty batch of T2 processors circulating, but what do I know?!?

My advice to anybody else experiencing issues would be to seek a replacement unit immediately and disable the T2 security check on boot. You can do this by holding command r on boot. Select Startup-Security Utility and turn this off.

Apple were very good with me, both on the phone and in store, and I had a replacement within a couple of days.

Hope this post helps somebody

Dan

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
This is my first post on this forum, I signed up specifically to reply to this having seen the thread. I bought the 15” 2018 2.6 model and was experiencing very severe issues as documented. At the time, I could find no posts where anybody was experiencing the exact same issues as my unit. I had no external devices connected, and had tried everything from fresh reinstall to internet recovery. I was experiencing crashes every 5 minutes, particularly under load. The computer would freeze then blast the fans for 0.5 secs and reboot. I could quite easily reproduce by attempting to use Lightroom which lasted no more than 5 mins.

It was stable when not under load, and had no issues with waking from sleep although sometimes got into a freeze-reboot cycle. It would work perfectly under bootcamp, even under heavy load, suggesting to me either the T2 or software issue.

After quite easily replicating the problem in store, they replaced my unit immediately and I have had no further issues after quite heavy use for the last few weeks. The techs seemed very interested in my machine but told me that I was the first to come with that specific problem. I also noticed a massive performance boost since replacing, when it was behaving I was somewhat underwhelmed by the Lightroom improvements in my first unit (I upgraded from a 2010 unibody MacBook!). Now it is lightning fast, what a machine. My FCP and Lightroom workflow is amazing. Plus under bootcamp I can run every game I have tried at Max settings under 1680 resolution (Resident Evil 7, Battlefield 1, Rise of Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat X, Doom). Really impresssive machine.

I currently have the T2 boot check disabled, as I have installed Windows 10 to an external USB, and it is working fine in both OS. It suggests to me there is a faulty batch of T2 processors circulating, but what do I know?!?

My advice to anybody else experiencing issues would be to seek a replacement unit immediately and disable the T2 security check on boot. You can do this by holding command r on boot. Select Startup-Security Utility and turn this off.

Apple were very good with me, both on the phone and in store, and I had a replacement within a couple of days.

Hope this post helps somebody

Dan

Solid response, you say disable the security check on boot. Is this primarily to mask/hide the issue? I much rather have kps now than my machine to breakdown in November.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
immediately and disable the T2 security check on boot.
Turning off the T2 boot check does NOT turn off the T2 chip, its still functioning as a gatekeeper and decrypting the drive. I think its coincidental that you turned it off a new machine and you're not incurring any issues. I guess the question is, turn it back on and run macOS and see if your symptoms return.

Last edited:

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
I just had my first Bridge OS crash on my replacement machine after 4 days. It's funny that the hackintosh I built 4 years ago is more stable than a brand new $3k machine. My hackintosh hasn't crashed in probably a year and that was only because one of the RAM sticks went bad.

Posted from my hackintosh.

Danwilson282

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2018
Turning off the T2 boot check does NOT turn off the T2 chip, its still functioning as a gatekeeper and decrypting the drive. I think its coincidental that you turned it off a new machine and you're not incurring any issues. I guess the question is, turn it back on and run macOS and see if your symptoms return.

I agree, it is likely to be coincidental. I didn’t turn it off to try and mask the issue. Until today, I had no idea others were experiencing the same problem. I turned it off so that I could boot windows from an external hd. The T2 was preventing this. My understanding is that I have not disabled it fully, just the functionality that checks the OS is legit. Perhaps if this is checking whilst the OS is in use, as well as at boot/wake from sleep, it could be causing the panic. I just know I have not had any problems since it’s replacement, and fundamentally that is the only difference in the core setup of my faulty MacBook and this one. I offered it as a suggestion for people with the fault to try. I’m just curious as to what is actually wrong, as it seems a very strange fault!

Ultimately though, seek a replacement. As I said, Apple were very good with me.

rurza

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
I've founds this post on Apple forums:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8475586

This guy's MBPro has the same issues as mine. He resolved them by installing beta of Mojave and then going back to 10.13, which I'll try today.

Also called the Apple Support (in Poland). They've told me to leave the computer in Authorized Service Provider (there is no Apple Store in Poland) and there is nothing they can do, even that I specifically said that I need this machine for work (and I already waited for it 3 weeks). Omg, Apple customer service in Poland is ****ing terrible. This computer costs 3 average monthly salaries in this country.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I've founds this post on Apple forums:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8475586

This guy's MBPro has the same issues as mine. He resolved them by installing beta of Mojave and then going back to 10.13, which I'll try today.

Also called the Apple Support (in Poland). They've told me to leave the computer in Authorized Service Provider (there is no Apple Store in Poland) and there is nothing they can do, even that I specifically said that I need this machine for work (and I already waited for it 3 weeks). Omg, Apple customer service in Poland is ****ing terrible. This computer costs 3 average monthly salaries in this country.
I been running the last two betas of Mojave and returned all my power nap settings not on. Have not had a crash since.

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
He resolved them by installing beta of Mojave and then going back to 10.13, which I'll try today.

I tried that too. It did not help in my case. Reason is, Mojave doesn't install anything that fixes the issue (yet).

jjs357

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
Bryn Mawr PA
I been running the last two betas of Mojave and returned all my power nap settings not on. Have not had a crash since.

Count me as another 2018 user who had bridgeOS crashes in High Sierra and earlier Mojave betas but have not had any since I installed each of the last two Mojave betas. I have switched back to High Sierra and for over a week have had no crashes.

I have PowerNap on as well.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
I’m thinking that they would want to retrieve the devices to assess whether it’s a faulty batch.

I can’t imagine it’s just software related due to the variance in causes within this forum.

Bigcat stating he/she was having problems after the Mojave install. Some saying that this rectified it. There’s a couple folk in here who said they didn’t even plug anything in and something happened. I’m guessing it’s a bad batch, if everyone had this issue, it would be recall for sure or at least a lot more awareness- this forum would have received a LOT more attention.

Similar to the throttling, that affected everyone with the i9 (part from those living at the poles) hence the awareness. I couldn’t find many big YouTube videos on kernel issues, or any big named articles from this month on the matter. This is surely a small pool of mbp users.

I’m thinking as we begin to enter the “next batch” of chips, especially those which were BTO instead of on the shelf. The problems should disappear. Getting a stock 15 from the same store twice with them both having an issue is more likely to be a batch error. Two BTOs in a row- and I’m sorry for your misfortune.

Hopefully, Apple will be able to retrieve the faulty chips and sue the F out of the suppliers. Probably why they are so happy to exchange these devices over so quickly without issue, plus there’s some guys here whom Apple have specifically asked for the machine back.

Thinking statistically. If they receive a hundred machines back, all with the same batch number t2 chip. You’re pretty confident at that point. Then again I’m a civil engineer not a hardware engineer so I could be very, VERY wrong.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
I’ve installed Mojave beta and downgraded, and it did update my firmware, and for a while my MBP didn’t crash, but then the fans starting to ramp up, it became unstable and after a while the kernel panics and random reboots/freezes started to surface.

It seems like there is a bad batch of hardware and all software fixes can try to compensate, but will never make it a fully working computer.

Reactions: cybercho and dspdoc

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I’ve installed Mojave beta and downgraded, and it did update my firmware, and for a while my MBP didn’t crash, but then the fans starting to ramp up, it became unstable and after a while the kernel panics and random reboots/freezes started to surface.

It seems like there is a bad batch of hardware and all software fixes can try to compensate, but will never make it a fully working computer.
I too fear that Apple may have bitten off more than they can chew with the T2 chip. Rushing to jump ship from Intel and to mold macOS and iOS togther has caused them to blunder. This rushing to do something that they haven’t quite perfected is nothing new with Apple though right? Now we might be looking at a recall here.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
My money is on - it's a hardware issue.
They did a production run of a batch of system boards after someone loaded the wrong spec filter capacitors in a pick & place bot or something.

I'm going on week 4... and still no KP's (hope I didn't just jinx myself).
Some here have just received custom orders. Would think if that was the case that they would not be using those anymore

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Some here have just received custom orders. Would think if that was the case that they would not be using those anymore
This is Apple we are talking about here ;)

It is becoming increasingly apparent with each year that Apple is headed in a different and not necessarily better way for us Mac computer lovers. I sincerely think they are shifting their focus to the iOS/cloud world and are jumping the gun on that movement. The iPad commercial on TV with the snarky little girl that says “what’s a computer” is major foreshadowing in my opinion. It’s basically Apple point blank telling us where they are headed. No secrecy there. They come right out and say it. The writing on the wall.

Last edited:

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Apple ordered me a replacement machine (sent to a local Apple store) and keeps calling to see when I will pick it up. I keep asking why would I even bother with an exchange when others have gotten multiple machines and kept having the same issue. The Apple rep keeps stressing that they want to "capture" my machine to test it. I'm not keen to go through the whole exchange, wipe, reinstall process just so they can do this though. If they are confident it's hardware, that's one thing, but there's no point exchanging for a software/firmware defect when the same thing will happen on the replacement. Furthermore, who knows if the replacement will have other issues that my current one doesn't have (crackling speakers, cosmetic damage, crashes while awake, etc.). No thanks.
I have done this before on a different issue, and honestly if it helps them to fix the software issue for many other people, I am all for letting Apple "capture" a device to help them dig more into the issue. Obviously you would be helping them get the issue resolved sooner, as the more devices with the issue they can "capture", the faster they can find the common denominator causing the issue.

Obviously it can be a pain going through the whole reinstall process, but it'd help for a fix sooner. Whether you are willing to make the sacrifice is really up to you. And while there are reports of the other issues like speaker crackle, I don't think the odds are that great that you'll get that issue. And even if you do, it would appear that Apple will likely fix the speaker issue before the Bridge OS issue.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I’m thinking that they would want to retrieve the devices to assess whether it’s a faulty batch.

I can’t imagine it’s just software related due to the variance in causes within this forum.

Bigcat stating he/she was having problems after the Mojave install. Some saying that this rectified it. There’s a couple folk in here who said they didn’t even plug anything in and something happened. I’m guessing it’s a bad batch, if everyone had this issue, it would be recall for sure or at least a lot more awareness- this forum would have received a LOT more attention.

Similar to the throttling, that affected everyone with the i9 (part from those living at the poles) hence the awareness. I couldn’t find many big YouTube videos on kernel issues, or any big named articles from this month on the matter. This is surely a small pool of mbp users.

I’m thinking as we begin to enter the “next batch” of chips, especially those which were BTO instead of on the shelf. The problems should disappear. Getting a stock 15 from the same store twice with them both having an issue is more likely to be a batch error. Two BTOs in a row- and I’m sorry for your misfortune.

Hopefully, Apple will be able to retrieve the faulty chips and sue the F out of the suppliers. Probably why they are so happy to exchange these devices over so quickly without issue, plus there’s some guys here whom Apple have specifically asked for the machine back.

Thinking statistically. If they receive a hundred machines back, all with the same batch number t2 chip. You’re pretty confident at that point. Then again I’m a civil engineer not a hardware engineer so I could be very, VERY wrong.
Time for ‘Which T2 chip do you have’ thread
Sorry, couldn’t resist

kylepro88

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
Nashville
Geez... almost 50 pages now in this thread. :/ Apple better make sure Mojave fixes this 100%. If we're all on here talking it through as more involved "computer people" ... then how does the normal consumer feel who has one? Would be doubly confusing.

Reactions: dspdoc

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017

This is great in theory and all, but how do you then explain my iMP suffering from the KPs that arrived only weeks ago? It was a BTO machine (as are many of the iMPs for that matter).

I am not saying you are wrong. I however think that this is a much wider spread issue than you indicate and it’s just that not everyone is going to take the time to flock to MR. Not only that, but many users may shut their machine down after every single use and may not be experiencing it.

On the iMP you are talking about a machine what has been having these issues since 2017. Apple hasn’t figured this out in that length of time and keeps spitting machines out with the same chip? If that’s the case it’s really bad on Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.