Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrashTestWalrus

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
I have had periodic crashes while sleeping since owning this laptop. I had the confluence of issues with it the other day, though. While watching a video in QuickTime the audio popped then cut out. While poking around about that the computer crashed altogether with a bridgeOS kernel panic. I have had a couple more crashes while it was sleeping. Hopefully this gets fixed soon because it is very frustrating. On the bright side the MBP boots incredibly quickly.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
See my post here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...bridge-os-error.2128976/page-51#post-26384166

What we're seeing in these crash logs is a kernel panic where PID #0 (kernel_task) is the panicked "task". But a lot of different things run under the kernel_task process--all your drivers, etc. So when we dig into it a bit more and look for which _thread_ panicked, it is consistently coming up as AppleSMC.

I'm not 100% sure about how to read these logs that start with mentions of BridgeOS, but they really all look like macOS kernel panics. The link these have to Bridge OS is still unclear to me. Is Bridge OS crashing and taking down AppleSMC driver with it? Is AppleSMC a/the connection point between macOS (running on the main CPU) and Bridge OS (running on the T2), now that T1/T2 chips are doing what the SMC used to do? Is Bridge OS just sending a bad message to macOS that the AppleSMC driver can't handle? Or is Bridge OS just doing some higher level crash reporting? etc etc.

It doesn't feel like Bridge OS is just simply "crashing", particularly since I would think that any sane engineers would have had enough isolation between Bridge OS and macOS so that even if BridgeOS on the T2 crashed hard, it would still fail gracefully and not take down macOS with it... Seems much more likely that there's some sort of "miscommunication"... One test I want to run in the next week is whether we'd see Windows crash in the same sleep scenarios--Windows would have a completely different driver stack (albeit one that could share some idiosyncrasies with macOS since apple presumably wrote both drivers)... it'd be a great data point.

I just scanned StudioSanctum's most recent crash log again, and he had a much more specific message in his panicString:
Code:
Stackshot Reason: Wake
transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state
change callbacks. Suspected bundle: com.uaudio.driver.UAD2System

...That's interesting, as it is actually calling out that uaudio driver (even though it was AppleSMC that panicked), whereas in most of the other crashlogs I've taken a look at, the panicString has had a bit more ... generic description, such as "Sleep\/Wake hang detected" or "x86 global reset detected"

Update: reading this panicString again, it reads as if various drivers such as the uaudio driver are registered with the OS to be told when the power state changes (the "power state change callbacks"). Maybe AppleSMC is managing those callbacks. In the case here, it reads as if the system was trying to tell drivers that the power state changed, but something caused it to hang which has prevented the entire power state transition, and perhaps AppleSMC gets grumpy when that happens? Anyway, it all seems very software-ish to me. <crossing fingers>
I have reported this to Universal Audio quite awhile ago. Of course they are playing the “contact Apple it’s not our fault” game. Even worse, they are trying to insinuate that I have bad hardware. That’s when I told them that would mean I have had 4 bad machines in a row. Then I pointed them to this forum... ;)
[doublepost=1535469220][/doublepost]
Damn man. I know it means little to nothing, but I’m sorry you’re going through this. I know you have to be about to throw that thing out of the window right now.

It would be one thing if it crashed during sleep, but once it starts to crash while you’re actively using it...

You are experiencing what I went through with the 2016 MacBook Pro. The only difference is I went through about 4 machines before I happened to get one that didn’t have issues right out of the box. Are you able to replicate the crash essentially on command at this point?

While I wasn’t sure that the new beta fixed it (how can I / any of us be), I was hopeful. I think what one of the members above said is very interesting, in that he was asking if BridgeOS is just the task that is reporting the actual crash, and perhaps not necessarily the cause of the crash itself. That just goes to show how little we really know about how the T2 is tied into the machine as a whole.

You’re still in touch with Apple, yeah? Have they offered you anything at all? Send in for repair, data capture, etc? With my 2016 they had me install the capture utility which logged nearly everything and sent it to them as a .dmg.

Edit: meanwhile: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/08/28/2018-iphone-shipments-highest

Makes you wonder if macOS is still a high priority, doesn’t it?
I have had 4 machines...

Last edited:

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
I'm not 100% sure about how to read these logs that start with mentions of BridgeOS, but they really all look like macOS kernel panics.

That's what I've been wondering myself.
[doublepost=1535472995][/doublepost]
Correct I use my MBP daily and is been stable. I've not had one crash.
Would you mind listing out what apps you've installed?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's what I've been wondering myself.
[doublepost=1535472995][/doublepost]
Would you mind listing out what apps you've installed?
Office apps, LR/PS, Chrome, CorRD, Vmware Fusion, various utilities.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Good to know, Windows 10 sounds like the best OS available now for reliability. I had a nine year run on Mac with NO downtime. OS Sierra came out and that was when kernel crashes started here, thanks for the info....

Over two years now professionally on W10 with zero issues on multiple systems. It's nonsense like this why I dumped Apple for anything remotely serious, and that one squarely sits with Apple. If Apple ever get's it act together I'll reconsider, however current management is just focused on churning out nice looking underperforming computers for pretentious students, while it's dwindling professional audience look elsewhere, as they too need to deliver...

n.b. Over two decades with the Mac...

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: SDColorado

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think for me it's OneNote and iStat Menus.
I had iStat menus installed but I've since uninstalled, just to lower the footprint of what I have running, so at one point, I had it and didn't run into issues. I have office running, but I don't ever use OneNote, whether the kext is installed, I have no idea.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
I had iStat menus installed but I've since uninstalled, just to lower the footprint of what I have running, so at one point, I had it and didn't run into issues. I have office running, but I don't ever use OneNote, whether the kext is installed, I have no idea.
I hate to do this....but I'm going to have to call "no balls" on you for uninstalling iStat Menus. :D

What about:

Startup Security
  • What settings do you have here?
macos-high-sierra-startup-security-utility.png

Energy Saver settings

• Power Nap
  • Wake for Wifi Access
Security
  • Unlock with Apple Watch
Notifications
  • Do you have them set to DND when the display is sleeping?
stop-enhanced-notifications-waking-mac.jpg

Queen6

macrumors G4
I hate to do this....but I'm going to have to call "no balls" on you for uninstalling iStat Menus. :D

What about:

Startup Security
  • What settings do you have here?
macos-high-sierra-startup-security-utility.png

Energy Saver settings

• Power Nap
  • Wake for Wifi Access
Security
  • Unlock with Apple Watch
Notifications
  • Do you have them set to DND when the display is sleeping?
stop-enhanced-notifications-waking-mac.jpg

One of the major points of the Mac was "it just works" having to jump through hoops, second guess and suffer crashes is a far cry from my expectations. Apple needs to put more focus on the Mac, stop churning out half baked software and hardware. We the customers need to send a clear message that the current behaviour is not acceptable.

Apple literally has all the money in the world, yet it's seemingly incapable of designing robust software & hardware solutions, being more focused on nickel & diming, cutting cost and boosting margins...

Q-6

Reactions: dspdoc

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
hate to do this....but I'm going to have to call "no balls" on you for uninstalling iStat Menus.
Must resist temptation to hit the ban button :eek:

:p

Here's my settings:
Default Start up Security, I made no changes

Power settings:

2018-08-28_13-52-28.png

Notifications, I didn't make any changes this is, in fact this is probably the first time I even went into that preference pane.
2018-08-28_13-53-17.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Chomping at the bit to run home and install it irregardless lol
I have the updated queued up, but while I'm home working on my laptop, I cannot incur any downtime, due to my work. I'll have to wait and see.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Is this a KP fix? If so does it also apply to the iMP and not just the MBPs? https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...l-update-for-2018-macbook-pro-models.2134392/

No patch notes so far? Who knows
[doublepost=1535480744][/doublepost]For what it is worth...

Pre Patch:

Model Name: Apple T2 chip

Firmware Version: 15P6703

Boot UUID: 619DCF82-0FBF-4B45-999D-38DB7E24FE44

Post Patch:

Model Name: Apple T2 chip

Firmware Version: 15P6805

Boot UUID: 8D0C551C-57D0-4A14-B571-21F498366CDC

Let's see if it is any more stable. Unfortunately, I have an appointment, so can't do anything further.

Last edited:

tjoab

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
I’ve been waiting weeks to pull the trigger on the 2018 mbp before I go back to school...please oh please let this be a fix, nail biting for the first person to test it out

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Oh man, I'm actually excited to pick up my replacement Mac now, heading there now. Was putting this off for a few hours now.

Come on Tim, DO US PROUD!!!!

Ah I don’t know if I should update first or use migration. Any ideas?

Last edited:

King724

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2015
Installed today's update (after not seeing the issue for 4-5 days) and then it happened....

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6805)","timestamp":"2018-08-28 19:20:26.96 +0000","incident_id":"0DC2410D-72A1-41C1-9D7B-37EC3402803B"}

EDIT: Digging deeper into the logs (thanks @matthewadams), Dropbox caused the crash.

Last edited:

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Installed today's update (after not seeing the issue for 4-5 days) and then then it happened....

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6805)","timestamp":"2018-08-28 19:20:26.96 +0000","incident_id":"0DC2410D-72A1-41C1-9D7B-37EC3402803B"}
I hope you’re kidding!

Reactions: Hakiroto
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.