Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blue82

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2018
One more data point. I installed the most recent Mohave beta on external drive in order to get the latest firmware. Version 16P50366a was installed and I haven't had a kernel panic since then. I just installed the latest update for the MBP and my firmware version stayed the same. Hopefully it will remain stable.

Edit to clarify: I didn't actually run Mohave. After installing it on an external drive, I rebooted into High Sierra. So, I'm running High Sierra with the Mohave firmware.

Last edited:

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
I'd assume (by the nature of modern software development / version control) that whatever fixes were rolled out to HS today, have already been in the Mojave beta.

Which on the downside would mean, that if someone had T2 related crashes on the latest Mojave beta, it will almost certainly not be fixed in this particular HS update either.

So fingers crossed :)

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
30 mins in or so. Enabled encryption, installing all apps / downloading photos.

No issue, might just be me but the keyboard feels a lot cooler compared to my first 15. Either a defective 1st 15 or the thermals have gotten better through a software update (unlikely).

Will test with external monitor and hdd back at home.

Edit - reading the post above. Looks like they have got better !!

onelm

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2018
I’ve noticed that a majority of the kp’s happen when there’s an external display being used... has anyone had the same issues natively without displays?

I have had _one_ KP while asleep with the panicString "x86 global reset detected". AppleSMC was the panicked thread.

With an external display connected, the crashes happen pretty much any time the machine has been asleep a while.

Fluny

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2018
I ordered mine on Aug 22, and Aug 30 is my pickup date, I was so excited to start doing my new work on the new "Beast" MacBook Pro 15" i7 32gb 3TB, and starting to hate my best loyal friend MBP 2012 2,5 i5, but after reading this thread,
I just canceled my order.
I am trying so bad to love my old laptop again and force myself into it until they resolve these issues, which is... (duh).. I doubt it , also I can't pay for something that may fall apart anytime. I'm frightened

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
You remember when they patched the i9 model right? ;)

Wait a second. My understanding of the patching of the i9s was that the fans came on earlier I.e. they weren’t trying to keep it dead silent when in actual fact it was overheating to f!

Wow. Everyday sure is a school day !

This is defo running a lot lot cooler though. Woooo. I’m actually happy now, buyers remorse- GONE

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I’ve noticed that a majority of the kp’s happen when there’s an external display being used... has anyone had the same issues natively without displays?
Asked and answered, Counsel!

Yes, many of us have reported crashes with nothing but the power adapter attached. Although, after a month with this machine, I can say that it happens much more often with something else (like a display) plugged in.

Reactions: tjoab

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2007

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Downloading today's supplemental update and will re-enable putting the MacBook to sleep after a predetermined time to see if the kernel panics resume.

::: fingers crossed :::

Reactions: tjoab

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Downloading today's supplemental update and will re-enable putting the MacBook to sleep after a predetermined time to see if the kernel panics resume.

::: fingers crossed :::
I'm not expecting this to address the KPs as there was no corresponding update for the iMac Pros. I wish Apple would be a little more descriptive in their release documentation. "Increases stability and reliability?" Great, that explains everything! :confused:

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
Just got off the phone with engineering. They gathered a lot of data on the issue from my unit specifically, and have been reading the forums. They were very friendly, seemed quite knowledgeable, and seem eager to solve it.

They are currently working on a fix, and the prevailing understanding (at least what was articulated to me) was that this is a "software/firmware" issue.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Just got off the phone with engineering. They gathered a lot of data on the issue from my unit specifically, and have been reading the forums. They were very friendly, seemed quite knowledgeable, and seem eager to solve it.

They are currently working on a fix, and the prevailing understanding (at least what was articulated to me) was that this is a "software/firmware" issue.
If that's the case, then it's pretty S****Y that they're having customers go through the whole reinstall, erase, return, exchange, reinstall process. The only thing worse than dealing with this problem is being made to jump through a bunch of unnecessary hoops to resolve it.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
@Premal212 that's really great to hear that it's running cooler. Did you happen to do any CPU temp/fan speed measuring before applying the update? I'm trying to figure out if this high heat/fan issue has been resolved: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...igh-fan-activity-heat-issue-resolved.2134424/

Once all the photo analysing etc stuff has been completed I’ll do a side by side comparison of the two. I have 5 days till I have to hand the second machine in.

(I didn’t want to run migration)

Reactions: monstermac77

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'm not expecting this to address the KPs as there was no corresponding update for the iMac Pros. I wish Apple would be a little more descriptive in their release documentation. "Increases stability and reliability?" Great, that explains everything! :confused:

They do eventually release patch notes, but they generally lag behind the update.

Edit: correction. I posted a link, but that was the July 09 one. Still waiting on the latest. Keep an eye on this page.

Reactions: IG88

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Maybe Apple will offer an upgraded working T2 chip in the next version for $400 more ;)

The all new "T3" + "Butterfly v4" that will hopefully work this time!

Naturally...new and fancy = clearly a price increase! lmfao
[doublepost=1535495209][/doublepost]
I ordered mine on Aug 22, and Aug 30 is my pickup date, I was so excited to start doing my new work on the new "Beast" MacBook Pro 15" i7 32gb 3TB, and starting to hate my best loyal friend MBP 2012 2,5 i5, but after reading this thread,
I just canceled my order.
I am trying so bad to love my old laptop again and force myself into it until they resolve these issues, which is... (duh).. I doubt it , also I can't pay for something that may fall apart anytime. I'm frightened

That's the only smart move while this problem is still unresolved honestly.

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.