Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Animaniac

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2004
Cambridge, MA
Just installed the supplemental update, so no insight into sleep/wake crashing yet.

Disk Utility still produces the following errors.

Code:
warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.major_version (0)
warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.key_os_version (0x0)
warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.key_revision (0)

Additionally, Platform Controller Hub Die (i.e., T2) is still the warmest item in iStats, but cooler at 38-40°C now, and roughly 5°C warmer than the CPU / GPU and 10°C warmer than the fans. The overall system does appear to be running cooler according to iStats for a light workload, but this is not based on an systematic apples-to-apples workload comparison.

Machine is running FileVault, Power Nap, macOS 10.13.6 (17G2307), T2 firmware 15P6805, and no devices connected. @n3t_runn3r earlier in the thread – I install and uninstall iStats to check the temperatures, so it is not a factor in my configuration.

Reactions: monstermac77

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
The all new "T3" + "Butterfly v4" that will hopefully work this time!

Naturally...new and fancy = clearly a price increase! lmfao
[doublepost=1535495209][/doublepost]

That's the only smart move while this problem is still unresolved honestly.

T3 + $400
Butterfly 4 keyboard +$400
Durable Screen that doesn't delaminate if you use anything but distilled water to clean +$400
Non-crackling Speakers +$400
Reduced light bleed +$400
SD Card Slot +$800
Apple EcoSystem +$Priceless

Just having fun and trying to stay positive during my extended trial period with unit #3 :)

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Just having fun and trying to stay positive during my extended trial period with unit #3 :)

You're lucky to get that sort of support.

I was pushed to contact the store I purchased from direct and state my case. They took note of the serial and made notes against the machine but followed it up with "just be sure you don't leave it too long ok", my panicked response was "no, no, I'm working through it with Apple support, but it's a custom build and I'm going to be 4 days without a main machine that now runs my business, hopefully Engineering can help sooner than later, I don't particularly want to have to go through the return process" - store: "yeah well just don't leave it like a month".

Latest support chat with Engineering this morning have asked me to run diagnostics, install the latest PB8 (was on 6), run without any connected devices including TB3 dock and contact them with in update in 24 hours. Engineering advised I will have to roll back to HS if nothing is found via diagnostics and I will be unable to restore my Mojave backup until the problem is sorted (no archived backup - I know, I know).

I asked their advice on whether or not to return the machine, they said if I have been given the opportunity, take it. I stated there have been many online that have done that and the same issue occurs. No response.

Support advised it isn't T2 related and these crashes are just the way Bridge OS handles KP's.

Have installed PB8, cleared cache files at their requested and emailed todays crash report.

They couldn't advise if the latest Mojave PB8 included todays 2018 MBP fixes or not.

Reactions: IG88

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016

I was pushed to contact the store I purchased from direct and state my case. They took note of the serial and made notes against the machine but followed it up with "just be sure you don't leave it too long ok", my panicked response was "no, no, I'm working through it with Apple support, but it's a custom build and I'm going to be 4 days without a main machine that now runs my business, hopefully Engineering can help sooner than later, I don't particularly want to have to go through the return process" - store: "yeah well just don't leave it like a month".

Latest support chat with Engineering this morning have asked me to run diagnostics, install the latest PB8 (was on 6), run without any connected devices including TB3 dock and contact them with in update in 24 hours. Engineering advised I will have to roll back to HS if nothing is found via diagnostics and I will be unable to restore my Mojave backup until the problem is sorted (no archived backup - I know, I know).

I asked their advice on whether or not to return the machine, they said if I have been given the opportunity, take it. I stated there have been many online that have done that and the same issue occurs. No response.

Support advised it isn't T2 related and these crashes are just the way Bridge OS handles KP's.

Have installed PB8, cleared cache files at their requested and emailed todays crash report.

They couldn't advise if the latest Mojave PB8 included todays 2018 MBP fixes or not.
For yours and everybody else’s info 14 days is policy and store managers can easily override to 30 days. Over 30 it starts to get tricky but generally they’ll happily make exceptions in that range.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
That's an interesting nugget... has anyone else heard that? Maybe the KP's have nothing to with the T2 then...

Hmm, I'm not convinced with this update, the menu bars aren't showing up as sharp as they should do, they look blurry. I thought for a second I didn't have a retina screen.

Anyone else with this issue? Apart from finder, all programs look blurry as hell, I am using scaled version, but it's fine on my other device ...

UPDATE
Reset SMC for anyone with this issue, mine looks good as ever. Phew, thought it was another replacement, it literally looked as if I was looking at a MacBook Air

onelm

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2018
That's an interesting nugget... has anyone else heard that? Maybe the KP's have nothing to with the T2 then...

I've been speculating that very thing since page 30-something in this thread, since I and others experienced the same crashing behaviour on 2016 and 2017 MBPs that have a T1 chip running eOS...

It makes me very happy to see these reports from people who have spoken with apple engineering and been told that it's not Bridge OS, it's not the T2, and it _is_ almost certainly a software/firmware issue.

tjoab

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
I’m still waiting a bit longer to pull the trigger on a 13inch 2018, you guys think it’ll be worth it? I can get it for around 2300/2400 CAD to get the 8th gen specs and some potential kp issues that hopefully will be fixed soon...or save 400/500 CAD and get the nontouchbar (basically 2017 model) they still sell to get a dual core but no kp issues?

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
I got a call from Apple HQ about my case. When I returned mine, I also included a letter and that was passed to the relevant parties. Apple is taking this seriously and is working hard on a fix.. I still might skip the 2018, if there is a 2019 it might also have better cooling.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Left is post today’s patch. Right is before. Both same machines plugged in.

Couple degrees difference.

Note - This is running at 100% using the yes command !!

Attachments

• 14EEF073-E63A-4835-AE06-24B8121B07C2.jpeg
    14EEF073-E63A-4835-AE06-24B8121B07C2.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 272
Last edited:

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Just had a total KP that shut my iMac Pro down and went into a really slow reboot. The machine was not sleeping either. All I was doing was changing the desktop wallpaper on my second screen.

Problem Report for Kernel 2018-08-28 19-55-36.png

Last edited:

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Just had a total KP that shut my iMac Pro down and went into a really slow reboot. The machine was NOT sleeping either. All I was doing was changing the desktop wallpaper on my second screen. 10.13.6 THIS HAS GOT TO GET FIXED!

View attachment 778423

Studiosanctum what did you do before this thread came about, now you have a load of friends to share this kp with. But before? I.e. when the issue was just on the imacp

Have Apple just pushed you along the road or...?

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Studiosanctum what did you do before this thread came about, now you have a load of friends to share this kp with. But before? I.e. when the issue was just on the imacp

Have Apple just pushed you along the road or...?
Been filing bug reports and dealing with the Apple executive team, as well and many senior advisors and engineers. Doing everything I can to try and figure this all out for myself and for the rest of us.

Last edited:

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Been filing bug reports and dealing with the Apple executive team, as well and many senior advisors and engineers. Doing everything I can to try and figure this all out for myself and for the rest of us. This is my 2nd iMP and I also had 2 2018 MBPs that I returned. I just gave up on those. I need this iMP to be solid though. It is the center of my studio and I can't be having this.

Damn man, I hope that Mojave does wonders for you mate. I know saying to Apple “I need this device to work” means jack sh to them, but it’s the truth. A lot of us use our machines for work.

At least in the automotive industry, you buy a brand new Benz. Roll it off the lot and the clutch goes, they’ll give you a specced up curtesy.

It’s a shame really I want them to do well

Reactions: dspdoc

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

4 days without a business machine? They should have been able to do an advanced exchange for you. They did for me and when they one arrived damaged were willing to do it a second time. But they instead worked out a deal for a store carried model.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
How get override 14-30? Call or need to visit store.
Visit and make a connection w a manager. Be friendly and polite and explain you’re doing your best to evaluate your options and really want it to work out. For them, it’s either a definite return now or a possible return later so they’ll take later. Ask for their business card and a note on the back saying it’s ok.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I just went to go add my latest KP crash log to the Apple bug reporter site and even their website is down LOL. I am not kidding, it says:

We'll be back.

Apple Bug Reporter is down for scheduled maintenance.

First time I have EVER seen that! Maybe their servers had a Kernel Panic LMAO!!
Their servers must be T2 machines!

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I just went to go add my latest KP crash log to the Apple bug reporter site and even their website is down LOL. I am not kidding, it says:

We'll be back.

Apple Bug Reporter is down for scheduled maintenance.

First time I have EVER seen that! Maybe their servers had a Kernel Panic LMAO!!

How perfect if it said We'lllll beee back ?

Reactions: eagerwu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.