Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Aaaand yesterday's update doesn't fix the sleep / wake issue :(

Just returned to my machine (hooked up to a Caldigit TS3+ and 2 4K LG screens) to find it switched off.

On boot there wasn't even an error to be seen.

*Sigh*

I once had an issue like that that wasn't a KP, but the GPU hanging. Can you check your console for .gpuRestart files or alike (I believe those are Kernel*.gpuRestart messages, can't quite remember)? (Also WindowServer logs might give a hint)

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Yeah I don't know about that; I've copied *way* more than 20GB numerous times on this machine without issue (if nothing else, a full restore from Time Machine and copying my whole documents folder from a backup).

At the very least whatever issue this someone is having is different to the issue that I'm having. I'm getting crashes on sleep / wake; nothing else that I can see (nothing in Disk Utility either).

The trouble with this thread is that everybody who experiences a crash with these new machines will see 'Bridge OS' and come here with it, even though the issue may have nothing to do with the new hardware.

Has anybody seen a KP from these machines that *doesn't* reference Bridge OS?

EDIT: Although I may have been a little hasty saying I've seen nothing else wrong...

When Apple asked me to format and reinstall, I did so using the same disk encryption password and login credentials as my previous install.

When the install was finished and I logged in, there was a file sitting in the trash can that I created on the previous install.

*That* was really messed up, and should be absolutely impossible. (I've filed a bug, but I can't reproduce it)

I believe it was a singular file that was over 20gigs https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8465477?page=10 scroll to horho77.

I was having KP at least 3 times a week on my 2016 Mac, they were all related to intel graphics, either it was illustrator causing it or finder, whenever I was doing something quite taxing on the machine with either of them.

On this replacement machine I'm clean so far.

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
I believe it was a singular file that was over 20gigs https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8465477?page=10 scroll to horho77.

I was having KP at least 3 times a week on my 2016 Mac, they were all related to intel graphics, either it was illustrator causing it or finder, whenever I was doing something quite taxing on the machine with either of them.

On this replacement machine I'm clean so far.

I've got a couple of VM's here that are > 20GB by themselves and I've copied around without issue.

EDIT: I have't tried it on the left hand ports... lol if that makes a difference.

[doublepost=1535542495][/doublepost]
I once had an issue like that that wasn't a KP, but the GPU hanging. Can you check your console for .gpuRestart files or alike (I believe those are Kernel*.gpuRestart messages, can't quite remember)? (Also WindowServer logs might give a hint)

I can't see any messages in the console matching gpuRestart, or files with that name (not sure which you meant or where I should check), but I've spotted some absolute madness in a couple of places.

There are WindowServer*.wakeups_resource.diag files indicating that WindowServer had '45001 wakeups over the last 208 seconds (216 wakeups per second average), exceeding limit of 150 wakeups per second over 300 seconds'. That said, I'm not sure if 'wakeups' mean what I think they mean in this context. And this was not around the time of the crash, so probably a red herring.

I have numerous similar reports about Docker doing *way* too many 'wakeups'.

Last edited:

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
Just had a total KP that shut my iMac Pro down and went into a really slow reboot. The machine was NOT sleeping either. All I was doing was changing the desktop wallpaper on my second screen. 10.13.6 THIS HAS GOT TO GET FIXED!

View attachment 778423

You're running the Mojave beta as far as I can tell from that trace (Darwin 18 and Bridge OS 3). That's not supposed to be stable.

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002

Just returned to my machine (hooked up to a Caldigit TS3+ and 2 4K LG screens) to find it switched off.

*Sigh*

drdaz, have you tried it w/o the TS3+?

I have a similar setup as you, and it was kp'ing on wake from sleep every single morning (yes, the dreaded bridgeOS error). As a test, I removed the TS3+ from the equation, and connected the 2 LG 4Ks directly to the mbp with dp->usbc cables. I'm going on 16 days now w/ no kp's or sleep/wake issues, with 1, 2, or no external monitors connected. I did do both a NVRAM and SMC reset after removing to TS3+.

There've been a number of posts coming to the defense of the TS3+, that it works great, good tech support etc. However, none of those posts explicitly said 2018 mbp with 2 4K monitors; most were using with 2017/16 models. You, on the other hand, seem to be experiencing exactly the same thing I was, with an almost exact same setup.

Not trying to nail Caldigit here... one day I will re-buy one of their products. I'm just wondering if there is something about an external hub that the 2018's don't like...

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017

I have a similar setup as you, and it was kp'ing on wake from sleep every single morning (yes, the dreaded bridgeOS error). As a test, I removed the TS3+ from the equation, and connected the 2 LG 4Ks directly to the mbp with dp->usbc cables. I'm going on 16 days now w/ no kp's or sleep/wake issues, with 1, 2, or no external monitors connected. I did do both a NVRAM and SMC reset after removing to TS3+.

There've been a number of posts coming to the defense of the TS3+, that it works great, good tech support etc. However, none of those posts explicitly said 2018 mbp with 2 4K monitors; most were using with 2017/16 models. You, on the other hand, seem to be experiencing exactly the same thing I was, with an almost exact same setup.

Not trying to nail Caldigit here... one day I will re-buy one of their products. I'm just wondering if there is something about an external hub that the 2018's don't like...

That's very interesting. I believe (but I'm not 100% sure) that I experienced this once without the dock, and with just 1 screen attached via USB 3 adapter.

I'll be honest though, I feel like it doesn't matter. I feel like an external peripheral shouldn't *be able* to take a machine down like that. Keeping the product from falling on it's ass is very much Apple's responsibility.

EDIT: To answer your question (and not rant), no I haven't done that for an extended period. Could be fun to try.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I got hold of CalDigit at the same time as I got hold of Apple. They say they're running the new machines with the TS3+ without issue.

Last edited:

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
That's very interesting. I believe (but I'm not 100% sure) that I experienced this once without the dock, and with just 1 screen attached via USB 3 adapter.

I'll be honest though, I feel like it doesn't matter. I feel like an external peripheral shouldn't *be able* to take a machine down like that. Keeping the product from falling on it's ass is very much Apple's responsibility.
I've had it happen connected to one LG monitor. I've had it happen not connected to anything except power. I'm not sure peripherals have much to do with it.

Reactions: SDColorado

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
I've had it happen connected to one LG monitor. I've had it happen not connected to anything except power. I'm not sure peripherals have much to do with it.

But which thing? The wake / sleep crash?
[doublepost=1535546768][/doublepost]Because there's a lot of stuff happening in this thread :D

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
The KP on wake with the crash log referencing BridgeOS. But I agree...there is a lot of noise in this thread.

There's a lot of noise from the machines, causing the noise in this thread :-/

If all kernel panics get reported like this now (and that seems to be the case), it's gonna be very hard to differentiate between errors for people who don't work intimately with the tech.

Cavman

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010

*Sigh*

I opened the lid on my 15' 2.2/555x this morning and it had shut off and was completely rebooting (apple logo) and there was no error at all. The computer was not attached to anything when it happened. It was unplugged and sitting in it's sleeve in my briefcase all night.

I did not have this issue BEFORE yesterday's update and am now kicking myself for updating a computer that seemed to be working perfectly.

Only thing I can think of is that I may (stress the word "may") have closed the lid before the computer had completed the "back up now" from Time Machine. That's the only thing I can think of that was different (other than the update yesterday) that could account for the computer not waking from sleep properly.

Interestingly, like drdaz said, there was NO ERROR at all. So don't know if it was the Bridge OS error or not.

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
I opened the lid on my 15' 2.2/555x this morning and it had shut off and was completely rebooting (apple logo) and there was no error at all. The computer was not attached to anything when it happened. It was unplugged and sitting in it's sleeve in my briefcase all night.

I did not have this issue BEFORE yesterday's update and am no kicking myself for updating a computer that seemed to be working perfectly.

Only thing I can think of is that I may (stress the word "may") have closed the lid before the computer had completed the "back up now" from Time Machine. That's the only thing I can think of that was different (other than the update yesterday) that could account for the computer not waking from sleep properly.

Interestingly, like drdaz said, there was NO ERROR at all. So don't know if it was the Bridge OS error or not.

That's the error I got this morning and I did have it before the update. Don't worry, it was coming anyway ;)
[doublepost=1535547741][/doublepost]

For what it's worth @macagain CalDigit did suggest turning off 'automatically switch off harddisks' in Power Saver. I'd forgotten about that til now since it seemed ridiculous. But since they're recommending it for their product it might be worth a bash.

Last edited:
Reactions: Premal212

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
That's the error I was talking about and I did have it before the update. Don't worry, it was coming anyway ;)
[doublepost=1535547741][/doublepost]

For what it's worth @macagain CalDigit did suggest turning off 'automatically switch off harddisks' in Power Saver. I'd forgotten about that til now since it seemed ridiculous. But since they're recommending it for their product it might be worth a bash.
How do you run a check to see what could be causing it.

lsbuffs

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2009
I came into the office this morning to find the following crash on my 2018 13in MacBook Pro. I had installed the latest High Sierra update yesterday. The MacBook was in clamshell mode, connected to an external monitor with an Apple mouse and keyboard connected via Bluetooth. I found it interesting that after the reboot, the Apple mouse was no longer connected. I had to re-connect manually.

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6805)","timestamp":"2018-08-29 05:49:20.10 +0000","incident_id":"4C06F0C3-F381-46A2-816B-2410EDA4A5C7"}

"build" : "Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6805)",

"crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",

"date" : "2018-08-29 05:49:19.60 +0000",

"incident" : "4C06F0C3-F381-46A2-816B-2410EDA4A5C7",

"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 17.7.0: Fri Jul 6 19:25:51 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4570.71.3~1\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",

"macOSOtherString" : "\n** In Memory Panic Stackshot Succeeded ** Bytes Traced 566624 **\n",

"macOSPanicFlags" : "0x4",

"macOSPanicString" : "panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80024fab10): \"Sleep\/Wake hang detected\"@\/BuildRoot\

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Ever since yesterday update my computer has been acting strange. Freezing and etc. Would a reset of SMC help?

So weird. I can use touch bar but mouse won't let me click anything

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
Oof, sorry to report I just had a restart after this update but no error report apparently.

I then reset my SMC, no problem, and then tried resetting my NVRAM (assuming that's what ctrl+opt+right shift+power) does and it hangs on a load bar on booting. I left it overnight and it didn't boot. I've never successfully booted after this step, has anyone else had this?

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Was asked to note again here that my wife has an i9 maxed out with zero kernel panics since she has owned it. Bought about a month ago now, first units to hit the store. Graphic designer w 50+ safari tabs open.

Reactions: IG88

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
Was asked to note again here that my wife has an i9 maxed out with zero kernel panics since she has owned it. Bought about a month ago now, first units to hit the store. Graphic designer w 50+ safari tabs open.

Docks, external screens?
[doublepost=1535551607][/doublepost]
The office release from Apple is on their security updates page.... but I can’t find what was actually changed

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

That means nothing changed; it says it offers the same security as the 10.13.6 release.

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
Docks, external screens?
[doublepost=1535551607][/doublepost]

That means nothing changed; it says it offers the same security as the 10.13.6 release.
It has happened to me and others having nothing plugged in

iam2diezel

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
I'm on an i9 with 32 gb of ram and a 1 tb SSD. I use the machine daily in an office environment and have experienced the same BridgeOS kernel panic in a variety of situations, including:

• left with lid open on desk at lock screen, connected to nothing (also when connected to power but nothing else)
  • lid open at lock screen, connected to OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock with a few hard drives and LG 5K display connected
  • lid open while working, machine sitting idle in lap while in a meeting

These are just some of the scenarios, but wanted to point out that it's happening to me both when connected to accessories and when not. I'm hopeful yesterday's update will fix (no issues thus far - left machine connected to dock and engaged sleep through menu), but am not holding my breath at this point.

Reactions: Hakiroto
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.