Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
If indeed as an earlier poster said, this is just how machines with the T2 handle a general KP, maybe we are getting excited over nothing?

Except that kernel panics are bad regardless of how they are reported.

Sorry just woke up. There is someone who posted sth here on how to produce an error every time. Basically you need to transfer around 20gb+ and it will bring on the kernel crash.

So by virtue of that, if I was to render sth overnight. I would wake up to a crash, I’ll try it tonight.

That might bring on *a* kernel panic, but it's not going to trigger the sleep related ones I've been having.

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
I'm on an i9 with 32 gb of ram and a 1 tb SSD. I use the machine daily in an office environment and have experienced the same BridgeOS kernel panic in a variety of situations, including:

• left with lid open on desk at lock screen, connected to nothing (also when connected to power but nothing else)
  • lid open at lock screen, connected to OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock with a few hard drives and LG 5K display connected
  • lid open while working, machine sitting idle in lap while in a meeting

These are just some of the scenarios, but wanted to point out that it's happening to me both when connected to accessories and when not. I'm hopeful yesterday's update will fix (no issues thus far - left machine connected to dock and engaged sleep through menu), but am not holding my breath at this point.

Bridge OS panic means nothing in and of itself; the details are elsewhere.

Did you migrate from another install or did you start clean?

iam2diezel

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
Bridge OS panic means nothing in and of itself; the details are elsewhere.

Did you migrate from another install or did you start clean?
I initially set up from a time machine backup. I was receiving the crypto errors in Disk Utility, so I wiped the drive and reinstalled HS and eventually ran migration assistant to get docs and apps back on the machine.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
That's a macOS Kernel Panic caused by the GFX Card. (See "Extension in Backtrace").
In case the KPs are all different, have you ever ran something like memtest to rule out you have faulty memory if you're seeing those that often?
Guess I need to run memtest now. Ugh! It’s one issue after another.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Your trace says you are though... High Sierra is Darwin 17.
No I’m not. I tried out the Mojave beta but then did a wipe and clean install going back to High Sierra. As many others have stated on here, when you do that certain firmware gets updated.

Last edited:

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
No I’m not. I tried out the Mojave beta but then did a wipe and clean install going back to High Sierra. As many others have stated on here, when you do that certain firmware get updates.
That memtest question is a good one. Have you had Apple run their service diagnostic on the machine? If a Mac is KPing regularly with a basic OS on it and is under warranty thats grounds for repair....

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Was asked to note again here that my wife has an i9 maxed out with zero kernel panics since she has owned it. Bought about a month ago now, first units to hit the store. Graphic designer w 50+ safari tabs open.
Makes me strongly consider going for an exchange. I have until mid Sept.

onelm

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2018
That's very interesting. I believe (but I'm not 100% sure) that I experienced this once without the dock, and with just 1 screen attached via USB 3 adapter.

I'll be honest though, I feel like it doesn't matter. I feel like an external peripheral shouldn't *be able* to take a machine down like that. Keeping the product from falling on it's ass is very much Apple's responsibility.

EDIT: To answer your question (and not rant), no I haven't done that for an extended period. Could be fun to try.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I got hold of CalDigit at the same time as I got hold of Apple. They say they're running the new machines with the TS3+ without issue.

I have a CalDigit TS3+ as well (love it, actually). I bought it as an attempt to stop the regular while-sleeping KPs I was getting on my 2017 MBP when I had 2 Dell 4K displays attached. (Spoiler: it did not work).

When I got the 2018 MBP I did testing with single- and dual-display configs, with AND without the CalDigit involved. The presence of the TS3+ seemed to make no difference whatsoever. I tested various configurations overnight for weeks when I got the 2018, before I transitioned to it fully from my 2017, just to see if I could find a way to get the machine to sleep well at night. :). Only thing that works for me is turning the power off to the displays w/o putting macOS to sleep, and letting the machine put itself to sleep as a result of lid being closed with no displays connected. This has been pretty stable, and not too annoying.

drdaz: as an aside, when you use the TS3+, do you sometimes have macOS get confused about which display is which and reset the arrangement? sometimes I have to power down a display then power it back up for macOS to say "oh, right, that's display number two"

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
That memtest question is a good one. Have you had Apple run their service diagnostic on the machine? If a Mac is KPing regularly with a basic OS on it and is under warranty thats grounds for repair....
Ran Apple's hardware test and memtest. Both came back fine.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Looking at the Apple update page. It well could be called a security update because it’s something to do with the t2 chip therefore security. Maybe they wanted to save themselves more embarrassment after the throttle fiasco.

It appears as if more problems have arisen from this. But apart from the sleep/dock/startup/external monitor issue. Has anyone experienced a straight up KP say when browsing or sth.

To my understanding that was also an issue a couple weeks ago. Basically are we a step closer?

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Can someone break down how to look into what could have caused a bridge is failure. Like what do I have to run in terminal to check?

Also is the sleep to wake freeze a seperate issue? Only had that last night after updating high siera. Was fine all weekend and week.
[doublepost=1535557933][/doublepost]
Can someone break down how to look into what could have caused a bridge is failure. Like what do I have to run in terminal to check for Kernal panic? Or will something always pop up on screen to let me know it was a bridge is freeze

Also is the sleep to wake freeze a seperate issue? Only had that last night after updating high siera. Was fine all weekend and week.

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
I have a CalDigit TS3+ as well (love it, actually). I bought it as an attempt to stop the regular while-sleeping KPs I was getting on my 2017 MBP when I had 2 Dell 4K displays attached. (Spoiler: it did not work).

When I got the 2018 MBP I did testing with single- and dual-display configs, with AND without the CalDigit involved. The presence of the TS3+ seemed to make no difference whatsoever. I tested various configurations overnight for weeks when I got the 2018, before I transitioned to it fully from my 2017, just to see if I could find a way to get the machine to sleep well at night. :). Only thing that works for me is turning the power off to the displays w/o putting macOS to sleep, and letting the machine put itself to sleep as a result of lid being closed with no displays connected. This has been pretty stable, and not too annoying.

drdaz: as an aside, when you use the TS3+, do you sometimes have macOS get confused about which display is which and reset the arrangement? sometimes I have to power down a display then power it back up for macOS to say "oh, right, that's display number two"
I've had similar display goofiness, forgetting arrangement and rotation (my monitor has a super goofy mount point position lol), I've had issues with the computer staying awake with displays connected or waking while in clamshell. All of that, to me, gives credence to the video issue theory, but doesnt SMC sorta handle sleep and display switching to some extent?

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
No I’m not. I tried out the Mojave beta but then did a wipe and clean install going back to High Sierra. As many others have stated on here, when you do that certain firmware gets updated.

I’m a developer. That trace is from Mojave. And while the firmware of Bridge OS sticks, Darwin is the BSD based core of macOS. It gets wiped when you wipe your disk.

Run uname -a in a terminal to see what’s actually running.

Reactions: shawndebnath

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I’m a developer. That trace is from Mojave. And while the firmware of Bridge OS sticks, Darwin is the BSD based core of macOS. It gets wiped when you wipe your disk.

Run uname -a in a terminal to see what’s actually running.
Listen man... I have been a Mac user/tech for 24 years myself. Contrary to what that log says I know what OS I am running...

17.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 17.7.0: Thu Jun 21 22:53:14 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4570.71.2~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

tjoab

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
This is somewhat off topic but I’ve posted about my situation a couple times, I’m still very conflicted on whether to go old tech for cheaper (early 2015 broadwell cpu) or go big for new silicon.

Regardless, let’s say I go for the 2018 non customized (one that they offer on their website, base 8gb ram 250 storage etc) and I luck out with intolerable Kp’s. I request return or exchange, how long does that process take? Can I go and have a different machine within the day?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
"Apple Says Latest macOS Supplemental Update Addresses Audio and Kernel Panic Issues on 2018 MacBook Pro"

So, since people still having the same issues after this install..this somehow confirms that is also an hardware issue..

[doublepost=1535566023][/doublepost]Some says "It's T2 hardware issue, there is no patch possible without letting Intel CPU take over some of the tasks, which compromises the performance."

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Looks like the classic AppleSMC related T2 crashes we've been seeing ("tid" number matches the AppleSMC thread in the txt file)
"macOSPanicString" : "Global Reset

Do you know anything about what a Global Reset is in the kernel world? About the only reference I could find was:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...ktop/sb/intel_mebx_user_guide_for_7series.pdf

Several MEBx configuration options require a global reset after they have been
edited by the user. The reset is flagged while in the MEBx UI and passed back to
BIOS to perform the reset request. The MEBx UI has to keep track of which
configuration options require a global reset after exiting MEBx. Multiple
techniques are used to ensure the global reset flow is entered correctly.

The MEBx uses 2 flags for its logic related to signaling global resets: Reboot and
Exit. The ‘Reboot’ flag indicates that the current option will require a reboot after
exiting MEBx. The ‘Exit’ flag is used to force the user out of the MEBx UI.

Reboot – MEBx must set this flag when an option that requires a global reset has
been edited from its original state. A list of global reset options is itemized in the
table below.

Exit – MEBx must completely exit the UI immediately after editing the option.

Table of MEBx UI Global Reset Options:
Option Reboot Exit
Max Logins exceeded...................................Y Y
CPU String Emulation...................................Y N
Manageability Feature Selection (EN->DIS).....Y N
Manageability Feature Selection (DIS->EN).....N N
SOL IDER Username/Password...................... Y N
KVM State...................................................Y N
SOL state....................................................Y N
IDER state..................................................Y N

Other MEBx global reset scenarios include:
1. CPU replacement
2. ME Unconfiguration without MEBx password through system BIOS setting (BPF)
3. ME Unconfiguration by clearing CMOS

These global resets happen when BIOS execute MEBx binary during post. In
these cases MEBx will pass the global reset flag to BIOS to perform global reset
without going through MEBx User Interface.​

Last edited:

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Can someone show a picture of what the Kernal issue looks like.
You should have gotten a message at startup stating your computer had to restart unexpectedly.

You can check for kernel panic logs as follows:

Console App:
/Library/Logs > DiagnosticReports > ProxiedDevice-Bridge​

Reactions: michael31986

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
"macOSPanicString" : "Global Reset

Do you know anything about what a Global Reset is in the kernel world? About the only reference I could find was:

Resetting the CPU is my assumption (think back to the 90s when each computer had a reset button).
AppleSMC - since essentially the power management - runs into a panic for some (presumably software related) reason and triggers a global reset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.