Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjoab

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
so i encountered something weird the other day... i was doing a small edit in premier, not intensive at all, in fact it was compressed 1080 footage sooo, yeah anyways, i went to add an adjustment layer on the clip and the program kinda stopped but not entirely, it almost felt like a drop in frame rate. anyways I thought it was just a the program buggin out and stopped responding, so i went to go exit out and realized my cursor had disappeared, and then boom the machine restarted...

i was like great, guess the KP bandwagon caught up to me, but I logged back in to a normal desktop... no "your mac restarted due to an error" or any other popups, there wasn't even a crash report in the logs. Any idea what this was? Maybe apple trying to tell me to use FCP lmaooo

(2018 13" running HS without supplemental 2)

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
so i encountered something weird the other day... i was doing a small edit in premier, not intensive at all, in fact it was compressed 1080 footage sooo, yeah anyways, i went to add an adjustment layer on the clip and the program kinda stopped but not entirely, it almost felt like a drop in frame rate. anyways I thought it was just a the program buggin out and stopped responding, so i went to go exit out and realized my cursor had disappeared, and then boom the machine restarted...

i was like great, guess the KP bandwagon caught up to me, but I logged back in to a normal desktop... no "your mac restarted due to an error" or any other popups, there wasn't even a crash report in the logs. Any idea what this was? Maybe apple trying to tell me to use FCP lmaooo

(2018 13" running HS without supplemental 2)

Maybe their "fix" for the kernel panics was just turning off the notification!

Qaulity

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2018
Maybe their "fix" for the kernel panics was just turning off the notification!
lol I've had this problem happen a few times. Each time expecting a crash dialog to pop up but it never happens any more. I wonder if they know the problem and have decided they don't need any more input.

Broslowski

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2018
I must report that from going Mojave PB i had no problems with KP. However, there are many bugs present so far - already reported, but i can finally put some trust on this machine... hope i dont get KP after posting this :D

Latest beta also published new T2 FW

Last edited:
Reactions: zargap

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I must report that from going Mojave PB i had no problems with KP. However, there are many bugs present so far - already reported, but i can finally can put some trust on this machine... hope i dont get KP after posting this :D

Latest beta also published new T2 FW
How long ago did you install?

beageek

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2018
Wait, so Mojave which recently updated Bridge OS firmware, really makes 2018 Mac Pro stable or this is still case by case? I can see threads, here, are getting slower. Is it a good sign or bad sign?

Reactions: RumorConsumer

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Haven’t had any crashes in over a month or so. I’ve been on Mojave for a very long time. I’m pretty confident that the problem has been resolved (at least for me).

Reactions: beageek

svermill

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2018
Have been following this thread with great interest, as my 13" i7 2018 MBP has crashed several times. However, I recently went away on holiday, and chose to leave this hunk of junk behind. I was encouraged that it lasted about five days since returning without further crashing -- until this evening. BridgeOS/T2 crash.

I see that traffic here has trailed off, and some are speculating that this equates to a Supplemental Update 2 fix. I beg to differ, please allow this post to serve as a datapoint. I will say that once again iTunes was in use (not a firm constant, but suspiciously common), and I recently reinstalled iStat (since uninstalled). I do not have disk encryption enabled, and power nap has been disabled. My plan since rebuilding from scratch was to slowly re-install/re-enable these things I find valuable (e.g. iStat), but it's difficult to be very scientific with a sample size of one. Now that I've uninstalled iStat, it will be days and possibly even weeks before I can make any kind of conjecture as to the impact (unless a crash happens sooner, but even then I'll wonder if I need to do another complete from-scratch rebuild without installing iStat).

Ugh. I think this will finally be the nail in Apple's coffin for me - and I'm many tens of thousands of dollars committed over the years. But ultimately really, really expensive junk that causes one more harm than good is a bad habit indeed...

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Have been following this thread with great interest, as my 13" i7 2018 MBP has crashed several times. However, I recently went away on holiday, and chose to leave this hunk of junk behind. I was encouraged that it lasted about five days since returning without further crashing -- until this evening. BridgeOS/T2 crash.

I see that traffic here has trailed off, and some are speculating that this equates to a Supplemental Update 2 fix. I beg to differ, please allow this post to serve as a datapoint. I will say that once again iTunes was in use (not a firm constant, but suspiciously common), and I recently reinstalled iStat (since uninstalled). I do not have disk encryption enabled, and power nap has been disabled. My plan since rebuilding from scratch was to slowly re-install/re-enable these things I find valuable (e.g. iStat), but it's difficult to be very scientific with a sample size of one. Now that I've uninstalled iStat, it will be days and possibly even weeks before I can make any kind of conjecture as to the impact (unless a crash happens sooner, but even then I'll wonder if I need to do another complete from-scratch rebuild without installing iStat).

Ugh. I think this will finally be the nail in Apple's coffin for me - and I'm many tens of thousands of dollars committed over the years. But ultimately really, really expensive junk that causes one more harm than good is a bad habit indeed...

Running High Sierra or Mojave?

svermill

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2018
Running High Sierra or Mojave?

Sorry, I briefly thought to edit and clarify that, but figured the Supplemental Update 2 reference would point the finger at HS. I really count on my primary computer both in my personal and professional existences, so I don't really mess around with beta type of stuff (e.g. Mohave). Should I be making an exception in this case?

Many thanks.

Broslowski

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2018
Sorry, I briefly thought to edit and clarify that, but figured the Supplemental Update 2 reference would point the finger at HS. I really count on my primary computer both in my personal and professional existences, so I don't really mess around with beta type of stuff (e.g. Mohave). Should I be making an exception in this case?

Many thanks.
For me, there are no blockers or critical issues on current PB. However, this can change after update, any time. You can always roll back to HS with latest T2 firmware installed by mojave ( i strongly doubt that fw will be downgraded after rollback )

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Received my new MBP yesterday and had a random restart while in sleep this afternoon. I opened the lid to find it booting and asking for the password. It did not show any error reports and what is really strange is that when I checked the console, I found a BridgeOS log there but it was generated at 1 AM (I was using the laptop at that time till at least 3 AM and no crashes/reboots happened). It also woke it up from sleep at 8 AM and it allowed Touch ID so it didn't crash over night.

I don't have anything special installed. Here is what I have:
- Default pre-installed software (Messages, Safari and Mail were running while sleeping)
- Microsoft Office
- Battle.net
- World of Warcraft
- Star Craft II
- Discord (was running while sleeping)
- IINA
- File Zilla
- Transmission
- Team Viewer
- Telegram
- Apple Configurator 2
- The Unarchiver
- Electrum
- Anghami (Apple Music competitor in the Middle East and North Africa)
- Grammarly

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016

Why don’t you just have them replace it...

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
Still having regular KPs on supplemental update 2, not gonna install a beta OS so close to its release lol. Also just scheduled a support call, trying to make sure I can swap out if Mojave doesn't work out or something.

Last edited:

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
Received my new MBP yesterday and had a random restart while in sleep this afternoon. I opened the lid to find it booting and asking for the password. It did not show any error reports and what is really strange is that when I checked the console, I found a BridgeOS log there but it was generated at 1 AM (I was using the laptop at that time till at least 3 AM and no crashes/reboots happened). It also woke it up from sleep at 8 AM and it allowed Touch ID so it didn't crash over night.

- Default pre-installed software (Messages, Safari and Mail were running while sleeping)
- Microsoft Office
- Battle.net
- World of Warcraft
- Star Craft II
- IINA
- File Zilla
- Transmission
- Team Viewer
- Telegram
- Apple Configurator 2
- The Unarchiver
- Electrum
- Grammarly

If you’re going to run that mix of torrent, creepto and anon chat apps and the things they are associated with then you’ll probably end up with crashes, malware keyloggers and god knows what anyway even with the best firmware.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
If you’re going to run that mix of torrent, creepto and anon chat apps and the things they are associated with then you’ll probably end up with crashes, malware keyloggers and god knows what anyway even with the best firmware.

“mix of torrent, creepto, anon chat apps”

Ah ok. I am using it wrong. Got it. Would you like to use it for me instead? Seems like I bought it to make you (and Apple) happy and not for any other use.

svermill

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2018
Why don’t you just have them replace it...

I may yet indeed. However, it seems as though some (several?) folks here have gone through multiple replacements without any relief. And I spent much of my summer sans a computer due to a series of unsuccessful warranty repairs of my old 2017 MBP, so I'm less inclined to go down that rabbit hole unless I have to.

I was away on holiday and not following things closely. It seems as though Mojave (non-beta) will be hitting the street soon, so I'll just live with it for now and see how things go with the new OS.

beageek

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2018
Thanks guys for sharing recent update. I believe that next official Mojave will fix the Bridge OS KP finally. Hope this really works at this time.
[doublepost=1537223134][/doublepost]

- Microsoft Office
- Battle.net
- World of Warcraft
- Star Craft II
- IINA
- File Zilla
- Transmission
- Team Viewer
- Telegram
- Apple Configurator 2
- The Unarchiver
- Electrum
- Grammarly

Just wondering I personally enjoy playing SC2 as well though(I have Windows and Mac both), why do you still keep Mac instead of gaming PC which is way better performance and graphic?

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Thanks guys for sharing recent update. I believe that next official Mojave will fix the Bridge OS KP finally. Hope this really works at this time.
[doublepost=1537223134][/doublepost]

Just wondering I personally enjoy playing SC2 as well though(I have Windows and Mac both), why do you still keep Mac instead of gaming PC which is way better performance and graphic?

I have a gaming PC. The chances I launch SC2 on the MBP is close to 0%. I just have it there in case I am not home that one day and a friend asks me to join him.

BridgeOS

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
Second supplemental update is a placebo. I have had three kernel panics (while running) since installing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.