Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
While I haven't had a crash on my 15" machine for a month now, my 13" 2018 work computer said hello this morning with a classic KP (\"Sleep\/Wake hang detected\"@\/BuildRoot\/Library\/Caches\/com.apple.xbs\/Sources\/xnu\/xnu-4570.71.3\/iokit\/Kernel\/IOPMrootDomain.cpp:9838)

Code:
{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6805)","timestamp":"2018-09-06 15:56:28.36 +0000","incident_id":"099B84EC-37C0-4A4D-AB59-816C69CB0997"}
{
  "binaryImages" : [
    [
      "e0e6f8b6-c72f-e2cd-30ef-30dd2c2f37fe",
      "U"
    ],
    [
      "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000",
      "A"
    ],
    [
      "7f5e330b-f8bd-3c53-b45c-7726c2bb0d74",
      "S"
    ]
  ],
  "build" : "Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6805)",
  "crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",
  "date" : "2018-09-06 15:56:28.10 +0000",
  "incident" : "099B84EC-37C0-4A4D-AB59-816C69CB0997",
  "kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 17.7.0: Fri Jul  6 19:25:51 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4570.71.3~1\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",
  "macOSOtherString" : "\n** In Memory Panic Stackshot Succeeded ** Bytes Traced 702816 **\n",
  "macOSPanicFlags" : "0x4",
  "macOSPanicString" : "panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800f4fab10): \"Sleep\/Wake hang detected\"@\/BuildRoot\/Library\/Caches\/com.apple.xbs\/Sources\/xnu\/xnu-4570.71.3\/iokit\/Kernel\/IOPMrootDomain.cpp:9838\nBacktrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address\n0xffffff9265aabb60 : 0xffffff800ee6c1c6 \n0xffffff9265aabbb0 : 0xffffff800ef95344 \n0xffffff9265aabbf0 : 0xffffff800ef875c4 \n0xffffff9265aabc60 : 0xffffff800ee1e1e0 \n0xffffff9265aabc80 : 0xffffff800ee6bc3c \n0xffffff9265aabdb0 : 0xffffff800ee6b9fc \n0xffffff9265aabe10 : 0xffffff800f4fab10 \n0xffffff9265aabeb0 : 0xffffff800f47ed3e \n0xffffff9265aabed0 : 0xffffff800eea5844 \n0xffffff9265aabf40 : 0xffffff800eea53a5 \n0xffffff9265aabfa0 : 0xffffff800ee1d557 \n\nBSD process name

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Update on my work with Apple: After I provided numerous sysdiagnose dumps immediately after experiencing wake KP's, Apple stated said they don't need any additional dumps. In the call, they seemed to choose their words very carefully, implying a software update will be coming which "may provide a resolution assuming the issue you are experiencing is the same as what we are working on" and "...it may be best to be patient.", but they did give me the choice of going down the path toward hardware swap if I wanted. "It's your choice". Given the tech's tone and wording, I took this as a gentle hint that it would be a waste of my time to swap hardware and this is a software/firmware fix.
Thats a great update. I wonder what time frame we're looking at here. I imagine if they know the problem they can fix it relatively quickly, but that fix may require finite manpower resources and take longer the more work there is to do if a rewrite or something is needed. We just don't know.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Having to jump through hoops here, roll back to HS and test on supplementals before engineering will get involved now (Mojave).

Yesterday asked to disable all energy settings and turn off FileVault. Had a crash probably two hours after doing this. Same 210/BridgeOS error.

I feel like for $5000 ($7000) including new Dell screens and docks, cables, keyboards, mouse etc. I could have built an amazing work PC.. with all these settings and encryption turned off - what’s the point of even having a MBP?

Offers to replace the machine are now being glossed over, 1.5 weeks out of 14 day return period, there’s plenty of notes on file and with the store for approved replacement, not sure what to do.

To add the hassle, today out of nowhere I encountered 5-6 occurrences of the speakers cracking loudly while playing Apple Music through laptop speakers.

First sour Apple experience in 20 years. :/

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I know that for at least a couple of us, it has been solved by returning the machines after multiple attempts with replacement and holding off for now.
So you returned your MBP

Did you get Lenovo you were eye balling?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
So you returned your MBP

Did you get Lenovo you were eye balling?

I did return it. That was the 3rd exchange and I just didn’t feel like rolling the dice again. Beyond the heat issues I had and mentioned in other posts, I also had a few keys that didn’t always register on the first press and one key, the “8” that occasionally stuck. I was nervous that among other things, the silicon cover hasn’t resolved all of the keyboard issues.

I did place the order for the Lenovo X1 Extreme, which arrives by end of day Tuesday, I will try that out for the next 28 days before deciding whether or not it is a keeper.

I may revisit the MBP again down the road if the Lenovo doesn’t work out.

Reactions: guillone and apiro

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I did place the order for the Lenovo X1 Extreme, which arrives by end of day Tuesday, I will try that out for the next 28 days before deciding whether or not it is a keeper.
Definitely keep that Lenovo thread updated, I'm interested in how it manages the heat. On paper that laptop has everything that I'd want in a laptop

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
I did return it. That was the 3rd exchange and I just didn’t feel like rolling the dice again. Beyond the heat issues I had and mentioned in other posts, I also had a few keys that didn’t always register on the first press and one key, the “8” that occasionally stuck. I was nervous that among other things, the silicon cover hasn’t resolved all of the keyboard issues.

I may revisit the MBP again down the road if the Lenovo doesn’t work out.

For some sick reason I don’t want it to. I want you to get the MBP again!! I want it to work for you mate.

That Lenovo though, do let us know what you think in comparison. Or ping me an PM would love to know what you think of it.

I’ve started my graphics designing again, after effects, illustrator, photoshop and man this machine is a beast. Absolutely love it. I hope it works out for you!
[doublepost=1536407311][/doublepost]
Definitely keep that Lenovo thread updated, I'm interested in how it manages the heat. On paper that laptop has everything that I'd want in a laptop

Is there a thread ?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

Everything except MacOS at least. I need to spend so much time working in Windows in a VM that I won’t miss it as much as some might.

I will be interested in seeing how it manages heat as well. That will definitely be a primary part of the evaluation period. I believe Dell has also had some issues with it? Looks like we are seeing some limitations to the “thinner is better” designs.

For some sick reason I don’t want it to. I want you to get the MBP again!! I want it to work for you mate.

That Lenovo though, do let us know what you think in comparison. Or ping me an PM would love to know what you think of it.

I’ve started my graphics designing again, after effects, illustrator, photoshop and man this machine is a beast. Absolutely love it. I hope it works out for you!
[doublepost=1536407311][/doublepost]

Is there a thread ?

Hey, a part of me feels the same way. I have had nothing but Macs for the past decade or so before adopting a stray Surface Pro last year hahaha. But I just wasn’t comfortable with trying another MBP right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: guillone

tjoab

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
first night with the 2018 plugged in overnight and no issues:) im also running HS pre-supplemental 2 update, if it stays working i might not update loool

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Having to jump through hoops here, roll back to HS and test on supplementals before engineering will get involved now (Mojave).

Yesterday asked to disable all energy settings and turn off FileVault. Had a crash probably two hours after doing this. Same 210/BridgeOS error.

I feel like for $5000 ($7000) including new Dell screens and docks, cables, keyboards, mouse etc. I could have built an amazing work PC.. with all these settings and encryption turned off - what’s the point of even having a MBP?

Offers to replace the machine are now being glossed over, 1.5 weeks out of 14 day return period, there’s plenty of notes on file and with the store for approved replacement, not sure what to do.

To add the hassle, today out of nowhere I encountered 5-6 occurrences of the speakers cracking loudly while playing Apple Music through laptop speakers.

Return!! Clearly some units are affected while others aren’t. Keep going.

Gamer-Dad

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2018
Pasadena MD USA

I"d definitely go for a return!

My system had weird issues out of the box, where the battery never showed fully charged even after doing the battery recalibration, fans would come on full speed for no apparent reason, and temps would spike all over the place. Knew this wasn't normal as the system I was sending back to Amazon since they wouldn't price match worked flawlessly. The new system I got is just like my first system with low idle temps, fans stay quiet, temps are in check. There are definitely systems coming out of Apple with problems. Its a shame, as for as much as these systems cost, there shouldn't be these issues.

chrizzz09

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
Germany
first night with the 2018 plugged in overnight and no issues:) im also running HS pre-supplemental 2 update, if it stays working i might not update loool

Same for me! Received my 15" MBP two days ago and haven't experienced any of the issues yet (no kernel panics, no crackling audio, no throttling).

Dont know if I should even update it with the supplemental updates...

semistandard

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2018
I have a question to people in this thead.
The whole issue - is it more like annoyance that happens from time to time and makes you angry because Apple didn't polish their product enough before they've released it? Or it is actually a serious issue that disturbs your daily use of the machine?

Just curious...

Last edited by a moderator:

beageek

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2018
The whole issue - is it more like annoyance that happens from time to time and makes you angry because Apple didn't polish their product enough before they've released it? Or it is actually a serious issue that disturbs your daily use of the machine?

Just curious...[/QUOTE]

Both,
plus, I had to wait for two weeks to get replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marketh

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Manchester, UK
Sounds like SU2 helped a great deal in eliminating this. Luckily, I've never experienced the issue but was always worried that one day it'd hit me. More at ease after reading this thread post-SU2. Roll on Mojave!

Broslowski

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2018
Ok so i am currently 4 days in uptime, this never happened before. But, right now, system started to shutter a lot, performance spikes are all over the place for no particular reason. I wont restart system and wait for KP.. you can literary feel it coming soon

edit: Alright i needed to do restart as Mac went full bonkers .. and here we go again.. same symptoms as before. I got kernel_task eating 6000% of CPU according to task manager, so Mac is most of the time unusable ... those spikes are totally random, i have no idea what to do now, so disappointed by this... KP will definitely come sooner or later

Last edited:

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I have a question to people in this thead.

Just curious...
For me and my workflow, it was mostly a minor annoyance. My KPs only happened when the machine was asleep, or would wake from sleep. I typically don't leave anything "up" on my machine when I step away from it, so a random restart now and again didn't impact me that much...from a logical standpoint. From an emotional, or "heart" standpoint, it introduced concern that something was wrong with a very expensive machine. I wondered if this $3k investment was going to end up part of some future repair program. It diminished that sense of "rock solidness" that I've come to have about most of my Apple purchases over the last 20 years. I have a 12" MacBook that's solid. I have an iPad Pro and an iPhone X that I just never have to worry about. It's that peace of mind that I pay "extra" for in an Apple purchase; until the 2nd supplemental update I didn't have that much for this MacBook Pro. With each day that goes by without a KP, I get closer to having that peace of mind back. I'm just not quite there yet.

Reactions: iamMacPerson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.