Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Mine is still crashing with the update...
Search back through the thread and look for the word capture. Then call Apple and lovingly explain the issue you’re having and find out if they’d like to capture a brand new unit having a replicable issue. They probably will.

billtlee

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2018
Search back through the thread and look for the word capture. Then call Apple and lovingly explain the issue you’re having and find out if they’d like to capture a brand new unit having a replicable issue. They probably will.

I have already opened a case and ran capture and sent over the log. They haven't gotten back to me and certainly hasn't offered to replace my machine. You mean I am entitled to an exchange?

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Still having daily crashes, although I'm on the latest beta of Mojave.
[doublepost=1535980397][/doublepost]Can I ask for those who aren't crashing - what is your Thunderbolt controller firmware version number? (Apple > About > System Report > Thunderbolt.)

Are we all on 30.2 or are some of us on 33.2?

CalDigit advised the latest version should be 33.2, just trying to cover all bases.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I have already opened a case and ran capture and sent over the log. They haven't gotten back to me and certainly hasn't offered to replace my machine. You mean I am entitled to an exchange?
It being new barring special circumstances (bought through Apple’s employee purchase program) you can return it within 14 days for any reason. And alternately they have been asking for many of these as samples for their engineering team in which case you’d get a replacement.

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
Can I ask for those who aren't crashing - what is your Thunderbolt controller firmware version number? (Apple > About > System Report > Thunderbolt.)

CalDigit advised the latest version should be 33.2, just trying to cover all bases.

30.2 here
HS 10.13.6 SU 2.
Have never installed Mojave
No KP's

Edit: Although I tested connecting to an external display via TB -to- HDMI dongle once, my machine does not normally spend time connected to anything external. I have plugged in an external USB drive to do TM Backups twice in the last month. Also, I have no Bluetooth devices, so I just leave Bluetooth turned off.

Last edited:

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
[doublepost=1535980397][/doublepost]Can I ask for those who aren't crashing - what is your Thunderbolt controller firmware version number? (Apple > About > System Report > Thunderbolt.)

Latest Mojave beta and I'm on 30.2.

I haven't had a crash in at least 3 weeks, maybe a month. I'd have to look back at my posts to see when it actually happened. It has been that long. Everything is rock solid currently.

Reactions: fullauto

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
I wonder where they're getting this 33.2. Of course vendors may have info we dont. I sent in my dock a bit ago back to Henge for a firmware update which stopped my drives from disconnecting, apparently that was an issue Apple was aware of and working with them on, and seems to have been fixed. So someone is working with someone else on something, I guess :) I'd actually say I've gotten more crashes after this update, I haven't gone 24 hours without one yet.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I wonder where they're getting this 33.2. Of course vendors may have info we dont. I sent in my dock a bit ago back to Henge for a firmware update which stopped my drives from disconnecting, apparently that was an issue Apple was aware of and working with them on, and seems to have been fixed. So someone is working with someone else on something, I guess :) I'd actually say I've gotten more crashes after this update, I haven't gone 24 hours without one yet.
Its interesting there was an article a while back about Apple software updates failing to update firmware along with OS versions..

Heres a tool to check EFI versions - EFIgy-1.0.1.zip 2.05 MB

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
My new 2018 macbook pro has the same issue. It crashes a few times a day. What should we do? Apple just wants us to reinstall. I am sure it won't solve the problem.

I would return it / exchange it. I've only had 3 KPs total since I brought mine on the 14th, and none in the past 10 days.

Reactions: SDColorado

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012

Mine has never had a crash. Purchased 7/15
Firmware version 30.2
Nothing ever attached except power cord
Supplemental update #2 hasn't been installed

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK

That seems to be applying to imac, though it's curious that macbooks are currently shipping with a lower version.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Its interesting there was an article a while back about Apple software updates failing to update firmware along with OS versions..

Heres a tool to check EFI versions -

Won't run on my MBP. App crashes upon launch.

Last edited:

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017

37.2 here on iMP.

BridgeOS

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
Yeah just forget what I said yesterday. Had my first kp since the new update.
Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 2.27.24 PM.png

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Awesome feedback everyone.

So next questions -

For users that are NOT crashing -

Do you use non-Apple Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C items such as docks, drives, other storage?

Do you leave them attached while your computer sleeps?

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016

So next questions -

Do you use non-Apple Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C items such as docks, drives, other storage?

I have a few different 3rd party USB-C SSD caddies. I've been leaving them attached during sleep trying to get a KP and no KP in the past 10 days so far.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
I think this is all going to bubble down to users who have Thunderbolt devices connected are the ones experiencing the crashes.

But it would be interesting to hear of a scenario where this wasn’t the case.

n3t_runn3r

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
I think this is all going to bubble down to users who have Thunderbolt devices connected are the ones experiencing the crashes.

I have only: (a) Logitech USB external keyboard, (b) HDMI to 1080P BenQ Monitor, (c) Apple power connector, all connected to a single Apple Digital AV adapter

Last edited:

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016

Nope. Myself: 3 KPs, no Thunderbolt devices.

There have also been at least two different people that had KPs after erasing / formatting the SSD, reinstalling HS, and no additional software, nothing connected. Totally bare clean OS & completely stock hardware with KPs.
[doublepost=1536013646][/doublepost]
Yeah just forget what I said yesterday. Had my first kp since the new update.
View attachment 779482
Looks like the venerable "Bad Magic" kernel panic.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012

So next questions -

Only thing attached to mine is the power cord.

JKNorth

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2010
I've had a 2018 15" MBP just about since release. Experienced the KP issue semi-regularly when waking from sleep while connected to the LG UltraFine 4K Display via Thunderbolt 3. Also heard the fan come on even when performing light tasks, which never happened with my 2016 13" MBP.

No issues since the supplemental update. All is running as it should!

With that resolved, and with the tweaks to the keyboard, I am loving this machine. Yes, it gets a bit warm when charging from the 61W power supply built into the monitor, but that's expected since the 15" is looking for 87W. When I plug in the charge cable as well as the monitor, all is cool as a cucumber.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.