Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
So now it sounds like people are having high temperature issues...?

Maybe? I don't know. Maybe just me? One example yesterday was simply attaching my phone via USB-C using an Apple provided cable to sync. iTunes started up, I could hear the fans start to kick in, they just kept going higher and higher. I check fans and temps and it is hitting between 96-100c and fans running 5.5 to 5.8K. Sounds like a jet engine. I think oh, it will cool back down in a second, but it doesn't, it just keeps going until I close iTunes.

I have tried to replicate it maybe 8 times now, but no go. It did something similar once when opening Affinity and I can't recall the other program. In each case I am unable to reproduce it.

The only thing that was a constant was with certain web pages and nothing else open, it would climb to those temps each and every time. Since updating to Mojave, that issue seems to be solved. I won't know about the other issues until one of them repeats... or not. Glad I got the extension to 30 days.

Reactions: guillone

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
Supplemental update 2 didn't help me with this. When I put mine to sleep it gets maybe 20 seconds per hour of actual sleep (the LED on my CalDigit TS3+ shows when the machine is awake). And it's always warm to the touch.

It's not great.

It's not great technically at least. Winter is coming to Denmark, and the prospect of always picking up a warm laptop is actually kind of charming.

I forgot to mention that this is happening even with PowerNap *off*.

Reactions: eagerwu

Gamer-Dad

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2018
Pasadena MD USA
I've only had 1 KP since purchasing mine. It happened last week after I transferred some concert footage to a USB thumb drive. The next morning is when it happened. I've installed the supplemental update 2 and have noticed lower temps, but mine usually idles between 38-46 degrees C while browning and will ramp up to the 50's when pushing a few things. Fans are quiet and unless Im taxing the CPU running Cinebench or another high CPU taxing program, my fans stat pretty quiet. My serial # begins with CO as well. I've had no other KP attacks, but to be honest I haven't plugged in a USB device since that happened.

I have not had issues with crackling speakers, even with playing around with the sampling frequencies.

It sucks that others are having so many problems. Hopefully they get sorted out sooner than later. It sucks spending so much money on a computer for it to have so many problems. If I were having the problems you guys were having I'd probably ditch my MacBook Pro and go back to Windows, but the Apple ecosystem drives me to stay (took me a long time to make the last plunge for the full Apple ecosystem, which is my MacBook).

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Mojave PB9, still occurring.

Waking from sleep (after a certain number of hours) and with Caldigit TS3 Plus connected presents the crash report screen referencing KP/BridgeOS 3.0.

5 crash reports (daily) sent to Apple.

Have been unable to install HS supplemental update for 2018 MBP’s due to running Mojave.

Krw999

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2018
I know this can’t be related but while my MBP 18 is fine (so far) my 2017 iMac 27” 5k (without the T2 chip) constantly crashes during sleep when connected to the Caldigit TS3 plus. Every night between 3am and 4am it seems to crash and reboot.

Crash log refers to USB controller and ISP router has literally hundreds of IP lease renewal requests, every 30 seconds or so, before the crash occurs.

guillone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
Yeah, consider my issue "unresolved" :)

Thanks for conveniently quoting this lol. Part of my issue is when do I do the second steps? I think the last time, I did JUST the first steps, then at the login screen, shut down and did JUST the second steps. I get the apple logo and a loading bar that stops at ~60% and never gets further. I tried leaving it overnight last time :/
I had that same bar on two different iMacs 2010, 2011 models running El Capitan. They wouldn't reboot, jumped thru all the hoops, reformatted the drives, etc. Tried every OS I could get my hands on and nothing would ever reload. This was all last year, one more died, took em all to the boneyard. Now, Apple wants to say this is just 2018 models with T2 chips.
B.S. It's system wide, they have no clue yet. The programmers that built Sierra have destroyed MacOS, they can try and sweep it under the rug, but this one ain't going away anytime soon. Apple wouldn't even look at my older machines, isn't that convenient.... forced obsolescence, sweep it under the rug.
[doublepost=1535826878][/doublepost]
Funny you mention 800MHz speed. The user who posted the undervoltage fix for overheating before Apple’s first fix was released noted that 800MHz is the speed the CPU gets dropped to if the VRM hits max temperature. This is why they went the route of reducing CPU voltage, in order to keep VRM temps from spiking.
I think we're moving into hardware land here as well. None of these machines run at proper temps. Complete design flaw from Apple. Also, there is no way to check the side effects on ssd's - it's not like too much heat won't crash those as well. With all the random KP crashes, makes me start to think that overheating in general is causing random errors in the CPU, GPU and SSD's. That is my current thoughts, since all of this happened on 2010, 2011 iMacs I had. Now that those units are conveniently in the boneyard, Apple can pretend like it's bad peripherals and 3rd party plugins on just their new stuff.... not buying it.....it was last year, but one of my ssd's died from heat... that's what made me think of it, now that you guys are talking heating issues, hope that helps, I think you're on to something here.....
[doublepost=1535827847][/doublepost]
I know this can’t be related but while my MBP 18 is fine (so far) my 2017 iMac 27” 5k (without the T2 chip) constantly crashes during sleep when connected to the Caldigit TS3 plus. Every night between 3am and 4am it seems to crash and reboot.

Crash log refers to USB controller and ISP router has literally hundreds of IP lease renewal requests, every 30 seconds or so, before the crash occurs.
That eliminates the "only T2 chip" argument; I knew this could happen on any Apple machine right now, that's why I just bought a Dell. I waited from December until August before purchasing anything to confirm that Apple has bigger issues on their hands and it wasn't an isolated incident. This growing thread is all the proof I need that moving to Windows is the only option for me. Best of luck to everyone with this. I'm going to stay on this thread. Curious if Apple is going to fix their mess and stay in the computer business....or just sell iOS products by 2020....
I feel bad for anyone buying the new iMac models when they hit the streets and next year's Mac Pro is going to be a complete fiasco....

Last edited:

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I had that same bar on two different iMacs 2010, 2011 models running El Capitan. They wouldn't reboot, jumped thru all the hoops, reformatted the drives, etc. Tried every OS I could get my hands on and nothing would ever reload. This was all last year, one more died, took em all to the boneyard. Now, Apple wants to say this is just 2018 models with T2 chips.
B.S. It's system wide, they have no clue yet. The programmers that built Sierra have destroyed MacOS, they can try and sweep it under the rug, but this one ain't going away anytime soon. Apple wouldn't even look at my older machines, isn't that convenient.... forced obsolescence, sweep it under the rug.
[doublepost=1535826878][/doublepost]
I think we're moving into hardware land here as well. None of these machines run at proper temps. Complete design flaw from Apple. Also, there is no way to check the side effects on ssd's - it's not like too much heat won't crash those as well. With all the random KP crashes, makes me start to think that overheating in general is causing random errors in the CPU, GPU and SSD's. That is my current thoughts, since all of this happened on 2010, 2011 iMacs I had. Now that those units are conveniently in the boneyard, Apple can pretend like it's bad peripherals and 3rd party plugins on just their new stuff.... not buying it.....it was last year, but one of my ssd's died from heat... that's what made me think of it, now that you guys are talking heating issues, hope that helps, I think you're on to something here.....
[doublepost=1535827847][/doublepost]
That eliminates the "only T2 chip" argument; I knew this could happen on any Apple machine right now, that's why I just bought a Dell. I waited from December until August before purchasing anything to confirm that Apple has bigger issues on their hands and it wasn't an isolated incident. This growing thread is all the proof I need that moving to Windows is the only option for me. Best of luck to everyone with this. I'm going to stay on this thread. Curious if Apple is going to fix their mess and stay in the computer business....or just sell iOS products by 2020....
The deductive leaps and seeming facts (none of these machines run at the right temps? Comparing an isolated KP issue to your ancient iMacs failing to boot?What?) you are asserting here literally don’t add up to the conclusions. I get you’re angry but right now you’re stepping into a nuanced conversation with the bluster of a Genius Bar customer who got some bad, but not abnormal news. My moms 2010 21.5” iMac is working fine.

Reactions: zargap

guillone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
The deductive leaps and seeming facts (none of these machines run at the right temps? Comparing an isolated KP issue to your ancient iMacs failing to boot?What?) you are asserting here literally don’t add up to the conclusions. I get you’re angry but right now you’re stepping into a nuanced conversation with the bluster of a Genius Bar customer who got some bad, but not abnormal news. My moms 2010 21.5” iMac is working fine.
ya, I'm running a Yosemite 2008 checking my emails on it, no problems. Let me know when your mom decides to load Logic Pro with plugins and run a session with no KP's... no offense. You weren't here, now you're the one jumping to conclusions....

tjoab

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
I’m bout to go drop a bag on a 2018 tomorrow, crossing my fingers, wish me luck...
I’ll keep you guys posted if I run into anything:)
Curious if the second supplemental will be preinstalled or not

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane

Damn. How can I check to see if mines the same? I woke up just after 2am and it had crashed.

I just found this on the Caldigit site - http://www.caldigit.com/kb/index.asp?KBID=228&viewlocale=1

On checking my TB3 firmware - I'm running version 30.2 - could this be the problem for some of us running Caldigit Docks?

How the heck can a brand new machine running the latest PB have an old TB3 controller firmware version?

Their support - "If any of the items above are showing older versions, you will need to update your macOS to the latest version or re-install your macOS in the event that you have the latest macOS but are still showing older Thunderbolt Firmware prior to 33.2. You will need to reset the NVRAM on your Mac before re-installing your macOS."

Is this really the only way to upgrade the firmware for TB3 controllers?

Last edited:

n3t_runn3r

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
I’m bout to go drop a bag on a 2018 tomorrow, crossing my fingers, wish me luck...
I’ll keep you guys posted if I run into anything:)
Curious if the second supplemental will be preinstalled or not

not for me--still having KP on wake sometimes. :-(

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Taking a break from MacBook Pro problems for now. Happy Labor Day Weekend to those of us in the USA...

d4fadecce2bfa07a9acb738e6991da82.jpg

e75c8ae4216158be1d93f5b3885739f7.jpg

Krw999

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2018
Also worth mentioning that my iMac had problems using a WD My Thunderbolt Duo with an Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter. Most of the time it was okay but on occasions it would be slow to shut down and also refuse to boot unless I reset NVRAM and SMC.

Never had any problem without a thunderbolt device attached.

Does make me wonder whether there are issues with TB controller that have been copied across to the T2 now that it replaces the SMC

Last edited:

Krw999

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2018
Damn. How can I check to see if mines the same? I woke up just after 2am and it had crashed.

I just found this on the Caldigit site - http://www.caldigit.com/kb/index.asp?KBID=228&viewlocale=1

On checking my TB3 firmware - I'm running version 30.2 - could this be the problem for some of us running Caldigit Docks?

How the heck can a brand new machine running the latest PB have an old TB3 controller firmware version?

Their support - "If any of the items above are showing older versions, you will need to update your macOS to the latest version or re-install your macOS in the event that you have the latest macOS but are still showing older Thunderbolt Firmware prior to 33.2. You will need to reset the NVRAM on your Mac before re-installing your macOS."

My TB3 firmware says 33.1 so that might explain some of the issues

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017

My 2018 MBP also says it's on version 30.2. I've reinstalled a couple of times now, although I admittedly didn't wipe NVRAM immediately before.

No clue what's going on here.

EDIT: That KB article is specific to the iMac Pro. So probably not relevant to MBP owners.

Last edited:
Reactions: fullauto

billtlee

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2018
My new 2018 macbook pro has the same issue. It crashes a few times a day. What should we do? Apple just wants us to reinstall. I am sure it won't solve the problem.

Reactions: SDColorado

BridgeOS

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
Haven't had any issues since the supplemental update, hope it continues. I'm just happy that we got an official signal that Apple was working on a fix!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.