Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
I've had my 2018 i9/32gb/2tb/560x/blackmagicegpu, run perfectly since August 1st and like you, have NEVER had a KP occur, on both high sierra and mojave beta. My job entails daily video editing, in both Mac and Bootcamp, power settings set to default on Mac and performance mode on Windows 10 Pro, still no kp's.

To set my fears at ease, today, August 31, 2018, I contacted AppleCare, patiently waited to be transferred until I reached tier 2 senior level support for Hardware and OS support, spoke to "Chris" and was told that they are well aware of kp's on both iMac Pro and Macbook Pro 2016-present, that it's currently believed to be strictly app/connected peripheral related and if you've not experienced a kp with your current setup, you're in the clear and not to worry.

I was told driver compatibility/communication between 32/64 bit apps, the OS, non apple approved connected hardware and the security t1/t2 chips is the cause of known kp's. Since there are so many different apps and non apple approved peripherals, I was told it's hard to solve everyone's kp scenario especially if some peripherals or apps are unique to certain professional jobs and not well known to be a potential connected device and app combination. He said the best thing for people affected by kp's to do is report them in detail, with a detailed setup of your configuration, along with recently used apps.

There has been at least one user that reported a KP after a clean install with nothing but the base OS loaded and no peripherals attached.

That kinda shoots down the "strictly app/connected peripheral related" theory.

Reactions: guillone and zargap

MasterStormcrow

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
There has been at least one user that reported a KP after a clean install with nothing but the base OS loaded and no peripherals attached.

I wonder if they chose APFS or Mac OS extended as a SSDs format. Default is APFS for t1/t2 enable Macs on SSDs but can be changed when re-formatting.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Steps to reproduce:

1) before going to bed for the night, with the machine operating normally and the lid open, disconnect all equipment from it, including power.

2) Close the lid and don’t touch it again during the night.

3) wake up in the morning (this assumes you sleep 6 hours or so) and open the lid. The machine will reboot as you open the lid or will have rebooted already. If you didn’t have any applications running, it may be hard to notice that the machine bounced, as sometimes you don’t even get the crash report pop up.

If you can’t reproduce it that way, then I will probably try a new machine.

The machine I had was a clean install of the OS with no apps installed. 100% of the time it rebooted overnight.

Never happened with short sleeps. Always overnight.

What peripherals had you attached to the MBP?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

Yup, that was me. Wasn’t a damned thing installed or connected. So “Chris” can kiss my *** hahaha

Level 3 support anyone?

There are others who have reported the same, both here and on other forums as well as in response to that video what was posted earlier.

I wonder if they chose APFS or Mac OS extended as a SSDs format. Default is APFS for t1/t2 enable Macs on SSDs but can be changed when re-formatting.

Everything default. Just a routine setup. Did the initial setup, took a break to let my dogs out. Pressed a button to wake the computer when I came back in. Nope. Had to hold down the power button and it started up the the Your computer was shut down BridgeOS KP

Last edited:
Reactions: IG88 and guillone

MasterStormcrow

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
Yup, that was me. Wasn’t a damned thing installed or connected. So “Chris” can kiss my *** hahaha

Level 3 support anyone?

There are others who have reported the same, both here and on other forums as well as in response to that video what was posted earlier.

Everything default. Just a routine setup. Did the initial setup, took a break to let my dogs out. Pressed a button to wake the computer when I came back in. Nope. Had to hold down the power button and it started up the the Your computer was shut down BridgeOS KP

Perhaps the firmware didn't properly install/complete. I wonder if Apple is considering a way to re-flash the firmware from the July supplemental update and if there is anyway to test if the firmware has not properly installed.

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Perhaps the firmware didn't properly install/complete. I wonder if Apple is considering a way to re-flash the firmware from the July supplemental update.

Firmware wasn’t even installed at that point. I literally only did the initial setup. When I called them they wanted that one back and worked out an advanced replacement for it.

Unfortunately the second came with with physical damage and was never even setup.

So currently working with unit 3. Mostly been OK. No crashes, but it did freeze once and wouldn’t boot without a SMC reset and I get some random run away heat issues. Even with simple things like attaching my phone to sync. But then I can’t get it to replicate after. It’s infrequent, but it’s annoying and in that case it’s one of their own apps.

Edit: This afternoon I installed the latest Mojave beta. I can’t leave it installed because I have software that won’t run on it, but hoping the firmware update that stays behind even after a roll back solves the random temp issues. But I have a long weekend, so will leave it installed until Monday.

Reactions: IG88 and guillone

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
Just got a peek at my most recent crash log and it's still pointing to AppleSMC and looks the same. Is there anything worth checking out at this point?

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
That might stand to reason with the freeze I had that required an SMC reset, before it would boot?
When you did your SMC reset, which steps did you use? The steps on their site have 2 parts, holding the power button, and then ctrl+opt+shift+power. I've never had a successful boot after doing the second combo. It also seems like a different key combo than NVRAM but it doesn't specify what it does.

Edit: second time in this thread I've said a swear instead of shift lol

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
When you did your SMC reset, which steps did you use? The steps on their site have 2 parts, holding the power button, and then ctrl+opt+shift+power. I've never had a successful boot after doing the second combo. It also seems like a different key combo than NVRAM but it doesn't specify what it does.

Only the first steps, because that did resolve the issue. The additional steps I believe are to be used if the first steps don’t resolve it?

Reactions: zargap

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016

I think you forgot to click your heels together 3 times.

Code:
Mac notebook computers with the Apple T2 chip
Try this first:

1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.
    2. After your Mac shuts down, press and hold its power button for 10 seconds.
    3. Release the power button, then wait a few seconds.
    4. Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, follow these steps:

2. After your Mac shuts down, press and hold for 7 seconds:
        a. Right Shift key,
        b. Left Option key,
        c. Left Control key
        d. Then keep holding those keys while you press and hold the power button for another 7 seconds.
    3. Release all three keys and the power button, then wait a few seconds.

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
Only the first steps, because that did resolve the issue. The additional steps I believe are to be used if the first steps don’t resolve it?
Yeah, consider my issue "unresolved" :)

I think you forgot to click your heels together 3 times.

Code:
Mac notebook computers with the Apple T2 chip
Try this first:

2. After your Mac shuts down, press and hold its power button for 10 seconds.
    3. Release the power button, then wait a few seconds.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, follow these steps:

2. After your Mac shuts down, press and hold for 7 seconds:
        a. Right Shift key,
        b. Left Option key,
        c. Left Control key
        d. Then keep holding those keys while you press and hold the power button for another 7 seconds.
    3. Release all three keys and the power button, then wait a few seconds.
Thanks for conveniently quoting this lol. Part of my issue is when do I do the second steps? I think the last time, I did JUST the first steps, then at the login screen, shut down and did JUST the second steps. I get the apple logo and a loading bar that stops at ~60% and never gets further. I tried leaving it overnight last time :/

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'm still experiencing the KP on wake issue after installing the supplemental update. I'm working with apple and providing diagnostic dumps after it occurs.

I hope that they have extended your return period while you help them beta test?

Perhaps the firmware didn't properly install/complete. I wonder if Apple is considering a way to re-flash the firmware from the July supplemental update and if there is anyway to test if the firmware has not properly installed.

Maybe I am wrong about this, but I think if it was an issue with a firmware not being properly installed that I would have one of those boot loop issues and would have to do a firmware reset as outlined here?

https://eclecticlight.co/2018/07/30/recovering-from-failed-t2-firmware-updates-and-related-problems/

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
What peripherals had you attached to the MBP?

Nothing. No peripherals attached. No apps installed. Can't get any cleaner than that. I guess it's possible some peripherals are causing KPs, but there is a more fundamental problem here that Apple needs to get to the bottom of. They won't find it if they continue associating it with peripherals.

Maybe this thread can be more useful if people with (and without) problems can post their configurations. I wonder if there's a pattern.

i9/32gb/2.9Ghz/1tb/560X/Silver, yes post the color, maybe that makes a difference :mad:

Reactions: IG88 and SDColorado

MasterStormcrow

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
Nothing. No peripherals attached. No apps installed. Can't get any cleaner than that. I guess it's possible some peripherals are causing KPs, but there is a more fundamental problem here that Apple needs to get to the bottom of. They won't find it if they continue associating it with peripherals.

Maybe this thread can be more useful if people with (and without) problems can post their configurations. I wonder if there's a pattern.

i9/32gb/2.9Ghz/1tb/560X/Silver, yes post the color, maybe that makes a difference :mad:

i9/32gb/2.9Ghz/2tb/560x/Space Gray. No issues.

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
... edited

i9/32/2.9/512/560X/SG. No kp's (since eliminating TS3+) with 1, 2, or 0 LG 4k's using dp->usbc cable.

18 days and counting kp free, both before and after supp2.

(Previously had kp on wake every morning when monitors were connected via TS3+. I did NVRAM and SMC reset while I was using the TS3+ which didn't help. Did both resets again after eliminating the TS3+.)

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
Base model 15 :) i7/16/2.2/250/555X/Silver

i9/32/2.9/512/560X/SG. No kp's (since eliminating TS3+) with 1, 2, or 0 LG 4k's using dp->usbc cable.

18 days and counting kp free, both before and after supp2.

(Previously had kp on wake every morning when monitors were connected via TS3+. I did NVRAM and SMC reset while I was using the TS3+ which didn't help. Did both resets again after eliminating the TS3+.)
Can you describe which steps you did of the SMC reset?

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Have you ever attempted the second part? Sorry for harping on this but I've never had a successful boot after trying that second part so I'm curious to see if anyone else can.
Nope, never tried. Didn’t even read that far until now... had to go see what you meant by second part...;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.