Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urbanracer34

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2010
I have spent over 21 years in the Apple Ecosystem (since I was about 6 when I got a Classic II, and I was reading Apple manuals since 5 and able to completely understand it all, I'm turning 27 tomorrow. I guess all of this is a plus with having Asperger's syndrome and one of your "special interests" is computers :p) and I have NEVER heard of such of a catastrophic failure of BOTH software and hardware related to Apple before this "T2" Chip that Apple has in a couple of their systems these last few months.

The only 2 things that are stopping me from buying one of these new MacBook Pros is (mostly) lack of cash flow and this Bridge OS stuff. Otherwise I'd buy one in a (literal) heartbeat if I could.

I will be waiting for all of this stuff to clear before I pull the pin. It could be a couple of years, though before I get the cash ready :(!

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
I have spent over 21 years in the Apple Ecosystem (since I was about 6 when I got a Classic II, and I was reading Apple manuals since 5 and able to completely understand it all, I'm turning 27 tomorrow. I guess all of this is a plus with having Asperger's syndrome and one of your "special interests" is computers :p) and I have NEVER heard of such of a catastrophic failure of BOTH software and hardware related to Apple before this "T2" Chip that Apple has in a couple of their systems these last few months.

The only 2 things that are stopping me from buying one of these new MacBook Pros is (mostly) lack of cash flow and this Bridge OS stuff. Otherwise I'd buy one in a (literal) heartbeat if I could.

I will be waiting for all of this stuff to clear before I pull the pin. It could be a couple of years, though before I get the cash ready :(!

You should file a Bug Report and ask Apple to change the way they present kernel panics now :) Because that's how they present kernel panics now. With 'Bridge OS'.

bugreport.apple.com

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Knock on wood but I haven't had a KP since Friday night. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean much, because my first KP was day 5 of ownership.

Of note:
  • I did a SSD erase, reformat, and clean install using Internet Recovery Friday afternoon.
    • The erase / reformat cleared the crypto_val warnings that Disk Utility was showing.
  • 3rd (most recent) KP came after that, Friday night
  • Installed the most recent software update on Tuesday afternoon.
  • No SMC or NVRAM resets

Last edited:
Reactions: SDColorado

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Yes, this.

And it's not even to be mean spirited. Support staff don't necessarily have access to beta software or knowledge bases.

They've got enough to deal with.

EDIT: I can't imagine them encouraging you to install it, rather encouraging you to admit it.
I am not at liberty to disclose what specific Apple executive team member I have been communicating with.

Last edited:

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
I am not at liberty to disclose what specific Apple executive team member I have been communicating with, but let's just agree to disagree on the whole encouraging/discouraging the use of Mojave...

And that's cool if they do. Could be hella smart if they can deal with the tsunami of bug reports.

Reactions: dspdoc

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
Well I'm not going to get involved with the agree/disagree stuff here around beta software, however the engineer just called me back to check on any additional KPs. I told him I haven't had any yet, and he said the "Mojave team has been very interested in this". So it stands to believe that they are working this on both the High Sierra and Mojave side.

He did mentioned that since I did call and get this on record within the return period (the initial interaction), that if it ended up being a hardware issue they would work with me on a refund/replacement since I got it recorded early on.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Well I'm not going to get involved with the agree/disagree stuff here around beta software, however the engineer just called me back to check on any additional KPs. I told him I haven't had any yet, and he said the "Mojave team has been very interested in this". So it stands to believe that they are working this on both the High Sierra and Mojave side.

He did mentioned that since I did call and get this on record within the return period (the initial interaction), that if it ended up being a hardware issue they would work with me on a refund/replacement since I got it recorded early on.
Yes, this ^

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
What is your current hardware situation?

iMac Pro - original, exchanged?
2018 MBP 15" - original, exchanged?
Returned two 2018 15" MBPs - Working on second BTO iMP (has all the same issues the pre-replacement machine had).

Reactions: IG88

kirky1234

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
Whats your guess, how many users are experiencing these kernel panics? I got my laptop for a few days now and didn't experience any crashes. Is it just a matter of time before they appear or is this an issue just a minority of machines are experiencing?

semistandard

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2018
I really don’t have any problem with Windows and actually kind of like Windows 10 and have to use it, so that bit doesn’t bug me. But I have never had to use it for audio production, so maybe that’s the saving grace hahaha.

I had a look at the Razer, but didn’t like a couple of the thing @maflynn mentioned and in addition I have heard that they get very hot (particularly above the keyboard where the heat sink is) and extremely noisy. I was told MSI is better in that regard?

I am intrigued by the MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro 4K. But I really don’t know much about the MSI laptops, their CS or anything else.

I am also interested in a couple of the usual suspects, the Dell XPS 15 and MS Surface Book 2
If you must get a thin and light laptop - consider adding Gigabyte Aero to the mix...
It's a bit heavier than the last two you've mentioned, however I've heard only good things about it.
[doublepost=1535657987][/doublepost]
I really don’t have any problem with Windows and actually kind of like Windows 10 and have to use it, so that bit doesn’t bug me. But I have never had to use it for audio production, so maybe that’s the saving grace hahaha.

I had a look at the Razer, but didn’t like a couple of the thing @maflynn mentioned and in addition I have heard that they get very hot (particularly above the keyboard where the heat sink is) and extremely noisy. I was told MSI is better in that regard?

I am intrigued by the MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro 4K. But I really don’t know much about the MSI laptops, their CS or anything else.

I am also interested in a couple of the usual suspects, the Dell XPS 15 and MS Surface Book 2
If you must get a thin and light laptop - consider adding Gigabyte Aero to the mix...
It's a bit heavier than the last two you've mentioned, however I've heard only good things about it.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Returned two 2018 15" MBPs - Working on second BTO iMP (has all the same issues the pre-replacement machine had).
That's rough. If *feels* like software / firmware issue, yet if that's the case, why isn't there an overwhelming number of these affected?

For instance, the Wifi problem with 2013 MBAs. It was widespread, repeatable, and due to Apple trying to start fresh with a new 802.11ac driver that was too buggy. (mdnsresponder vs discoveryd)

The fix many (including myself) did was to manually rollback the kext. Eventually that was Apple's fix after mucking around with it in Yosemite for months.

Apple apologists kept blaming it on 3rd party (non Apple) wireless routers and APs.​

Anyhow, here's to hoping Apple figures this out soon.

Last edited:

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
That's rough. If *feels* like software / firmware issue, yet if that's the case, why isn't there an overwhelming number of these affected?

For instance, the Wifi problem with 2013 MBAs. It was widespread, repeatable, and due to Apple trying to start fresh with a new 802.11ac driver that was too buggy. (mdnsresponder vs discoveryd)

The fix many (including myself) did was to manually rollback the kext. Eventually that was Apple's fix after mucking around with it in Yosemite for months.

Apple apologists kept blaming it on 3rd party (non Apple) wireless routers and APs.

Anyhow, here's to hoping Apple figures this out soon.
Agreed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

tjoab

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
Whats your guess, how many users are experiencing these kernel panics? I got my laptop for a few days now and didn't experience any crashes. Is it just a matter of time before they appear or is this an issue just a minority of machines are experiencing?

I’m a firm believer that everyone is ABLE TO experience these. The thing is, all the experience in this forum is usually from heavy users who rely on these machines for a living and push them to the max (which is what they should be designed to do after all they are “pro” machines), I feel like if you casually use these and with some periods of heavy work you are less likely to trigger the kp. This is pure speculation so don’t hold me to anything lol (and I’m really hoping I’m not right and that this is all software and is fixed:))

Fluny

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2018
Yay! Just got refunded. I thought it's gonna take 5 days, but it took 2 days to refund!
Thanks, Apple

I'm checking this thread literally every day, waiting for the problems to resolve so I can finally order it again.

Reactions: Hakiroto and tjoab

apiro

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
Erhm, so what? I got like 3 or 4 KPs on MBP 2016 during 2 years I used it too but they were not regular, they were not reproducible and they were not connected to "Bridge OS". It's OK.

Am I missing anything?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Which iMac does she have?

Same year as mine, 2015. Only difference was she prefers the smaller size display. Buddy of mine is also running High Sierra on a 2011 or 2012 iMac 27”. I forget which. That took a little more work to get installed, but he hasn’t been having any trouble with it either.

My 2018 MBP does weird stuff like this randomly. Just a single web page open, nothing else. Did it to me earlier just when I had iTunes open and syncing my phone. Temps ramp up between 96-100c and fans start blazing. Dunno what’s going on with it.

Is it bad that a small part of me just hopes it dies to push me over the edge to returning it and getting something else? Hahaha

cc770eb3f6d15e9d8ea5b9beeb2067fe.png

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Same year as mine, 2015. Only difference was she prefers the smaller size display. Buddy of mine is also running High Sierra on a 2011 or 2012 iMac 27”. I forget which. That took a little more work to get installed, but he hasn’t been having any trouble with it either.

My 2018 MBP does weird stuff like this randomly. Just a single web page open, nothing else. Did it to me earlier just when I had iTunes open and syncing my phone. Temps ramp up between 96-100c and fans start blazing. Dunno what’s going on with it.

Is it bad that a small part of me just hopes it dies to push me over the edge to returning it and getting something else? Hahaha

cc770eb3f6d15e9d8ea5b9beeb2067fe.png
Yikes, that is hot!!! That cannot be good on the silicon longterm.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yikes, that is hot!!! That cannot be good on the silicon long term.

Crazy for just a web page open right? Pretty basic page. I open that same page on the SB Pro and it’s in the 40’s.

It was doing that before. Didn’t do it after the supplemental update yesterday, one of the first things I checked. Thought OK. At least that problem is solved. Doing it again today. Not sure why certain pages or iTunes for a phone sync would cause that. But if it’s doing that when it’s basically doing nothing, something isn’t right.

Edit: sounds like a jet with the fans cranking at close to 6K as well. Really thought it might shut down. I left it going for about 15 mins. Figured if it was going to do it, may as well be during the return period. But I wanted to see if it would be eventually cool down without closing the page. Nope.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Crazy for just a web page open right? Pretty basic page. I open that same page on the SB Pro and it’s in the 40’s.

It was doing that before. Didn’t do it after the supplemental update yesterday, one of the first things I checked. Thought OK. At least that problem is solved. Doing it again today. Not sure why certain pages or iTunes for a phone sync would cause that. But if it’s doing that when it’s basically doing nothing, something isn’t right.
So many mysteries going on right now at Apple my friend.

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
So many mysteries going on right now at Apple my friend. And not happy mysteries either. I miss the days of being a giddy little kid that got excited about the next Apple product. Now sadly I await with dread for the next “gate”. It’s a vicious cycle that Apple cannot seem to break. It’s extremely disheartening.

Me too! In the past you could always just break open the box and start using it and you didn’t have to worry. It was an Apple, it just worked.

Now it’s weirdness, oddities, repeat exchanges, trail period extensions, a wing and a prayer and keep your fingers crossed that if anything happens it happens under warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.