Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
They've released the keyboard that gets breaking for 3 consecutive years. And only admitted it the third year. That's all you need to know about "how Apple will not release new iMacs with broken T2".

They've released MBPs with T2 when the problem has already been seen on iMac Pros.

I think they are trying to solve the problem. But not solving won't stop them from releasing new machines with this problem. And that IS cold profit-seeking behaviour.
[doublepost=1535620023][/doublepost]
Yup. Historically they admit hardware problems in the end of 2nd-beginning of 3rd year after release. I think statistically they choose the time where most of people already got ridden of the faulty machines and repairing the rest won't be a too big burden and won't hurt their new sales. Unless they're class-action law-sued before that.

So if this is a hardware problem, we're in for a long tough ride (I've just ordered maxed-out 13"). Let's hope it's not.

I hope software and/or firmware updates can resolve or it's just going to be another circus ride...

Q-6
[doublepost=1535630287][/doublepost]
Just got refunded. Goodbye Apple!

In many respects a shame, I got to the same position a couple of years back, as when it comes down to negatively effecting my professional workflow tolerance is limited...

IMHO Apple is just not trustworthy or capable of producing hardware that delivers that is not significantly compromised in one or several aspects. Had Apple continued to produce the best it could with sensible delineation between ultraportable, mainstream & professional it might be a different story for many of us.

Apple now just panders to the aesthetic, churning out half-baked hardware & software year on year, with ever reducing real-world value. Apple has just become cheap, greedy and overly focused on nickel & diming it's customers, such a shame and what a waste of potential.

Q-6

Reactions: Wags and idark77

idark77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
I am so sad, spent a lot of money in Apple ecosystem and now I am still with my amazing 2015 MBP 15 because I tried the 2016/2017 MBP and had a lot of keyboard issue, the 2018 is a disaster ( maybe software, maybe hardware or both). The price of these machines is very high and now I try to switch from Mac to Pc world, I see that there are a lot of valid alternatives.

God helps us.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am so sad, spent a lot of money in Apple ecosystem
Oh I know, I dipped my toe in the PC market earlier this year. I'm hoping I don't regret giving Apple one more chance. I'm hopeful that the keyboard will be sound, and so far I've been lucky with the T2 issues. If this is the new apple, I question whether I'm willing to roll the dice again, when its time to replace the 2018 - I just hope when that day comes, its far off. My 2012 lasted me 6 years, so I hope to get may years out this new baby

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Apple now just panders to the aesthetic, churning out half-baked hardware & software year on year, with ever reducing real-world value. Apple has just become cheap, greedy and overly focused on nickel & diming it's customers, such a shame and what a waste of potential.

Q-6

That largely seems to be the trend with laptops in general these days. Companies are building these thin, light portable laptops that look awesome, but seem to be flawed to some degree as a result. I have been looking at some alternatives in the event I decide to return my 2018 MBP, but it seems the choice is between another thin/light/portable laptop with a flaw or shortcoming as a result of that design or a heavier, thicker, chunkier model.

Reactions: guillone

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
This sucks. I'm traveling to Chicago on October and was planning on getting a new 13" MBP, hopefully the problem will be fixed within the next couple of months. I'll get one the minute I arrive and test it our over the course of the week and see what happens. I can always return it.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
That's a bummer, I'm lucky I guess in that its working for me. I returned a Razer for this, so I would have been very angry, if dealing with constant KPs. The MBP has lots of advantages, but what good are those advantages if you don't have a stable machine

Why did you return the razor that was on the cards before I got the Mac. But the prices and specs were comparable. Apple was probably 10% more expensive. There aren’t many powerful slim laptops out there, few and far between.

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
I haven't had a single crash or issue since installing the latest Mojave Beta a few days back...

I'm genuinely curious. Does Apple give you product support since you've installed the beta? Because beta literally implies that you can't *expect* a working product.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why did you return the razor that was on the cards before I got the Mac. But the prices and specs were comparable. Apple was probably 10% more expensive. There aren’t many powerful slim laptops out there, few and far between.
A couple of reasons. There was not one show stopping problem.
A few niggling things were battery life, I got it to be about 5 hours, but clearly its not as good as the MBP. The keyboard's back lighting was frustrating because the secondary values (for a lack of a better term) on the numbers and function keys were not illuminated so in a darkened room it was difficult seeing the %, ^, & keys.

The biggest reason, is that I'm pretty well enmeshed in the apple ecosystem and life is a lot simpler when I use macOS. Ultimately it was more about user experience with macOS then it was sticking with superior hardware, and yes the Razer is superior in design and components :)

Queen6

macrumors G4
That largely seems to be the trend with laptops in general these days. Companies are building these thin, light portable laptops that look awesome, but seem to be flawed to some degree as a result. I have been looking at some alternatives in the event I decide to return my 2018 MBP, but it seems the choice is between another thin/light/portable laptop with a flaw or shortcoming as a result of that design or a heavier, thicker, chunkier model.

Personally I'm fine with the extra size and reduced headaches. I like the option of near silent operation and the ability to flip to desktop performance in a computer I can throw into a bag and jump on a plane. Going too thin simply results in too many compromises for my liking.

Q-6

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
The biggest reason, is that I'm a ginormous hardcore Apple swinger.
Yes, you are. :D

As far as I can tell my display is a good one, and I haven't found any major faults other than the kernel panics. It's a dilema. I could exchange it and get something with different issues....and still have the same potential for kernel panics.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Well this will suck for me as I just had an imac Pro delivered, base model with 64gb ram and 2TB SSD, and i *have* to use the TB3 to TB2 connector cause I use UAD Apollo interfaces.. 4 units daisy chained. A person at the apple forums is having kernel panics with the same audio device especially if it's daisy chained, so I guess that's the first thing I have to test.. I have twelve days left in my return period as I have been ill the last couple days and didn't use it till today.

Is there anything else I can do to see if my machine is affected? I'll max out the test time as best I can.

Very interesting, and sad discussion. Especially for MBP 2018 users who seem to be affected in much greater number.

After 10 years with Apple, I was actually about to build a windows PC for music and video production for the first time, a very powerful 7940X overclocked to 4GHZ.. would have been insane (need TBolt otherwise would have looked at Ryzen also).. But professionals that build workstation machines actually told me not to switch and that windows 10 forced updates break things on a weekly basis.. So the windows USERS lol put me off and I bought the imac Pro.. Darn I hope it just works.. for almost 10,000 AUD, it better!
Trust me when I tell you that if you are using UA devices chained over TB on a iMP and you let the machine go to sleep you WILL absolutely emphatically KP.

I have had two brand new iMPs. UAs response is simply do not ever let your machine go sleep. The flaw in this logic is that it also seems to cause random KPs outside of this.

As a studio engineer that relies heavily upon these plug-ins, I feel you! Unfortunately like most companies, UA wants to point the finger and Apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: TTOZ and guillone

guillone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
@SDColorado - I bought the heavier model: Alienware 17 r5, although they offer an i9 and GTX 1080, I opted for the i7 8750H with GTX 1070. Alienware cooling build can handle it. Plenty of power without the thermals and throttling. 32Gb 2666ram and 512 m2 ssd, $2200.00. I've found so far, the only realistic way to run an i9 with GTX 1080 is in a liquid cooled desktop.
The performance/cost doesn't warrant it for my needs....
I'm about to find out how stable Windows 10 is for audio production, seems like their problem is in the constant updates that might kill your plugins. I hate Windows, hahahha, holding my nose and taking the plunge.....
[doublepost=1535642387][/doublepost]
Trust me when I tell you that if you are using UA devices chained over TB on a iMP and you let the machine go to sleep you WILL absolutely emphatically KP. I have been dealing with this on a case that is still open with UA and I even have an Apple executive team member involved.

I have had two brand new iMPs. UAs response is simply do not ever let your machine go sleep. The flaw in this logic is that it also seems to cause random KPs outside of this.

As a studio engineer that relies heavily upon these plug-ins, I feel you! Unfortunately like most companies, UA wants to point the finger and Apple and Apple at UA. It’s the never ending blame game cycle.
@StudioSanctum, thanks for all the input, I've had same issues with Focusrite, they don't want to talk about it either, lol....
I have no problem not letting the machine go to sleep, but it kp crashed anyway. And these were older machines running El Capitan. Once Sierra came out, that's when the crashes started for me... I think it's that horrible combination of MacOS and 3rd party plugin crashes, no one will own it....

Last edited:

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
I'm genuinely curious. Does Apple give you product support since you've installed the beta? Because beta literally implies that you can't *expect* a working product.

Interesting question. Actually when the engineer called me I told him at the outset of the convo I was running the latest beta. He did all his tests while I was in the beta, and wanted to talk to me today to see if the beta had addressed the issues and if I have had any additional KPs. I have been intentionally putting it to sleep and opening it back up throughout the last few days to try and trigger something. Will keep trying.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I have had an Apple executive ask me more than once if I was running Mojave.

Last edited:

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Personally I'm fine with the extra size and reduced headaches. I like the option of near silent operation and the ability to flip to desktop performance in a computer I can throw into a bag and jump on a plane. Going too thin simply results in too many compromises for my liking.

Q-6
Exactly,
Has it been worth the .1 inch reduction from 2015 model? Don’t think so.

Reactions: Queen6

mspman

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
@SDColorado I've found so far, the only realistic way to run an i9 with GTX 1080 is in a liquid cooled desktop.

That's not true. I have an i9 7940X with a GeForce 1080 STRIX card in a rig built with an Asus X299 deluxe and a CoolerMaster MA610P fan, and my cpu never gets above 60 C, even under machine-learning CPU loads. When I'm playing Fortnite in 4K on a 38" widescreen monitor, the CPU will hover between 45-50C. It's a freaking dream. Expensive rig, but hawly shneikes is it fast.

I've built a lot of computers, and I'll be honest there's only a couple where I thought liquid cooling was genuinely necessary.

I know, off topic, sorry.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I have had an Apple executive ask me more than once if I was running Mojave. It was asked in an almost "encouraging" way if that makes any sense? Kind of like, "Are you running the latest Mojave beta?" In a *wink wink* try it out and see if it fixes your problems sort of way... So that would indicate to me that they absolutely do support it. At least they have to if they are encouraging it!

I am not sure about that. Granted my experience is limited to IOS 12, but when I called them regarding some issues with Bluetooth connectivity they did a remote diagnostic. After determining that I was running IOS 12 they cut me short and told me that they could not offer any support on a device running beta software and that I would have to roll back to a previous version if I wished to have support.

Maybe it’s different with Mojave, but don’t be surprised if they encourage you to load it and then tell you they won’t support it after you do.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
@SDColorado - I bought the heavier model: Alienware 17 r5, although they offer an i9 and GTX 1080, I opted for the i7 8750H with GTX 1070. Alienware cooling build can handle it. Plenty of power without the thermals and throttling. 32Gb 2666ram and 512 m2 ssd, $2200.00. I've found so far, the only realistic way to run an i9 with GTX 1080 is in a liquid cooled desktop.
The performance/cost doesn't warrant it for my needs....
I'm about to find out how stable Windows 10 is for audio production, seems like their problem is in the constant updates that might kill your plugins. I hate Windows, hahahha, holding my nose and taking the plunge.....

I really don’t have any problem with Windows and actually kind of like Windows 10 and have to use it, so that bit doesn’t bug me. But I have never had to use it for audio production, so maybe that’s the saving grace hahaha.

I had a look at the Razer, but didn’t like a couple of the thing @maflynn mentioned and in addition I have heard that they get very hot (particularly above the keyboard where the heat sink is) and extremely noisy. I was told MSI is better in that regard?

I am intrigued by the MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro 4K. But I really don’t know much about the MSI laptops, their CS or anything else.

I am also interested in a couple of the usual suspects, the Dell XPS 15 and MS Surface Book 2

Reactions: guillone

tjoab

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
Interesting question. Actually when the engineer called me I told him at the outset of the convo I was running the latest beta. He did all his tests while I was in the beta, and wanted to talk to me today to see if the beta had addressed the issues and if I have had any additional KPs. I have been intentionally putting it to sleep and opening it back up throughout the last few days to try and trigger something. Will keep trying.
That’s kinda reassuring to hear:) please keep us posted if you force a kp

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
I have had an Apple executive ask me more than once if I was running Mojave. It was asked in an almost "encouraging" way if that makes any sense? Kind of like, "Are you running the latest Mojave beta?" In a *wink wink* try it out and see if it fixes your problems sort of way... So that would indicate to me that they absolutely do support it. At least they have to if they are encouraging it!

Did you say yes?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have heard that they get very hot (particularly above the keyboard where the heat sink is)
Yes, you would be well served to avoid touching that area on the laptop. Its literally too hot to touch if you push the cpu/gpu.

The fans/fan vents are located on the bottom of the laptop, not a big deal per say, but I do know my kids enjoy using the laptop on the bed and I was concerned about it over heating. The vents on the MBP are positioned where its less of a risk imo.

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
I am not sure about that. Granted my experience is limited to IOS 12, but when I called them regarding some issues with Bluetooth connectivity they did a remote diagnostic. After determining that I was running IOS 12 they cut me short and told me that they could not offer any support on a device running beta software and that I would have to roll back to a previous version if I wished to have support.

Maybe it’s different with Mojave, but don’t be surprised if they encourage you to load it and then tell you they won’t support it after you do.

Yes, this.

And it's not even to be mean spirited. Support staff don't necessarily have access to beta software or knowledge bases.

They've got enough to deal with.

EDIT: I can't imagine them encouraging you to install it, rather encouraging you to admit it.

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yes, you would be well served to avoid touching that area on the laptop. Its literally too hot to touch if you push the cpu/gpu.

The fans/fan vents are located on the bottom of the laptop, not a big deal per say, but I do know my kids enjoy using the laptop on the bed and I was concerned about it over heating. The vents on the MBP are positioned where its less of a risk imo.

That is a concern I would have as well. I like a laptop because I like to move around with it and sometimes that involves putting it on the arm or a couch or an armchair. I am not sure what the effect of the heat would be with that.

Also, using it for presentations for meetings, does it get so noisy that it becomes a distraction?

I have found my 2018 MBP ramps up and gets noisy at the weirdest times. Like today after attaching my phone to sync and backup. Temps 95-100c, fans just cranking and I was thinking really?? Syncing my iPhone is causing this??

Yes, this.

And it's not even to be mean spirited. Support staff don't necessarily have access to beta software or knowledge bases.

They've got enough to deal with.

Agreed. I don’t think it was being mean spirited at all. I think it’s just SOP. They don’t have the tools or resources necessary to trouble shoot an issue that may or may not be a result of the beta software I installed.

The request to uninstall and roll back to an OS they could reasonably support was more than reasonable and I understood the necessity of it in order to eliminate the unknown and focus on what they did know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.