Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cervontez

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2018
Whats your guess, how many users are experiencing these kernel panics? I got my laptop for a few days now and didn't experience any crashes. Is it just a matter of time before they appear or is this an issue just a minority of machines are experiencing?
Been following this thread since it’s inception. I’ve had my 2018, i9, 32gig since the ending of last month. I have yet to experience KP, bridge crash or crackling sound. Maybe I hit the lottery? Either way I’m really happy with it.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Me too! In the past you could always just break open the box and start using it and you didn’t have to worry. It was an Apple, it just worked.

Now it’s weirdness, oddities, repeat exchanges, trail period extensions, a wing and a prayer and keep your fingers crossed that if anything happens it happens under warranty.
IT JUST WORKS

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Been following this thread since it’s inception. I’ve had my 2018, i9, 32gig since the ending of last month. I have yet to experience KP, bridge crash or crackling sound. Maybe I hit the lottery? Either way I’m really happy with it.

Plenty of folks have hit the lottery I think. @maflynn loves his and has had zero issues.

I am 2 for 2 with issues. 3 for 3 if you count #2 that arrived from the factory with physicals damage.

@StudioSanctum has already returned 2 MBP’s and exchanged his iMP once.

I just don’t know how many times I am willing to roll the dice. It gets old after awhile.

Reactions: Queen6 and IG88

Cervontez

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2018
Plenty of folks have hit the lottery I think. @maflynn loves his and has had zero issues.

I am 2 for 2 with issues. 3 for 3 if you count #2 that arrived from the factory with physicals damage.

I just don’t know how many times I am willing to roll the dice. It gets old after awhile.

I understand it’s frustrating especially for a laptop this much. I would be up in arms if I was having issues as well. Hard to support a company when the replacement is having the same issue.

Edit: on that thought. Could it be a bug that is being carried over from a backup?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I understand it’s frustrating especially for a laptop this much. I would be up in arms if I was having issues as well. Hard to support a company when the replacement is having the same issue.

Edit: on that thought. Could it be a bug that is being carried over from a backup?

No. After the issues with the first one I decided to not even restore from a backup or use migration assistant. Actually because I didn't want to go through the hassles of re-installing everything, only to learn later that I might have to do another return/exchange I have also only installed the bare minimum on it. I have only had this recent one about 1 week.

Edit: The first one actually didn't have this particular problem either.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I’m a firm believer that everyone is ABLE TO experience these. The thing is, all the experience in this forum is usually from heavy users who rely on these machines for a living and push them to the max (which is what they should be designed to do after all they are “pro” machines), I feel like if you casually use these and with some periods of heavy work you are less likely to trigger the kp. This is pure speculation so don’t hold me to anything lol (and I’m really hoping I’m not right and that this is all software and is fixed:))
Perhaps but again take my wife’s 2.9 maxed out which gets heavy graphics and web use all day and has not so much as stuttered.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Yeah.. and I am having an issue bouncing off 100c while just doing simple sh** like check scores on ESPN or syncing my phone with iTunes using my 2.9. Ugh. So frustrating.
Maybe there is some kind of time wasting kernel panic sensor that knows if you should be working and KPs in protest? Or perhaps it’s based on past life karma?

Reactions: guillone and tjoab

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Maybe there is some kind of time wasting kernel panic sensor that knows if you should be working and KPs in protest? Or perhaps it’s based on past life karma?

Must be past life. I think I have been earning plenty of good karma for the next one. Not computer related, just personal life.

But man, gotta see how my Rockies are doing. Tight damned division

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013

This is what is so "intriguing" (frustrating!) about it... some people have repeated problems, some people have none. It makes me think there is some common factor.

I'm still suspicious about audio being a culprit somehow, in part because of the crackling bug, and part because @StudioSanctum has serious audio software and repeated problems. @SDColorado, do you do anything in particular with audio? Any specialized audio apps installed or that you use? Anyone else that has these problems?

(Hopefully I'm not repeating anything already discussed -- only read about the last half of this thread!)

Reactions: guillone

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
@SDColorado[/USER], do you do anything in particular with audio? Any specialized audio apps installed or that you use? Anyone else that has these problems?

(Hopefully I'm not repeating anything already discussed -- only read about the last half of this thread!)

Nothing more taxing than iTunes or Spotify while I work hahaha :)

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008

Steps to reproduce:

1) before going to bed for the night, with the machine operating normally and the lid open, disconnect all equipment from it, including power.

2) Close the lid and don’t touch it again during the night.

3) wake up in the morning (this assumes you sleep 6 hours or so) and open the lid. The machine will reboot as you open the lid or will have rebooted already. If you didn’t have any applications running, it may be hard to notice that the machine bounced, as sometimes you don’t even get the crash report pop up.

If you can’t reproduce it that way, then I will probably try a new machine.

The machine I had was a clean install of the OS with no apps installed. 100% of the time it rebooted overnight.

Never happened with short sleeps. Always overnight.

Last edited:

tjoab

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
Out of curiosity, if you are on high Sierra, is it possible to downgrade to Sierra or elcaptain on the new macs? Be interesting to see if an older OS has any effect on the kps

guillone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
I really don’t have any problem with Windows and actually kind of like Windows 10 and have to use it, so that bit doesn’t bug me. But I have never had to use it for audio production, so maybe that’s the saving grace hahaha.

I had a look at the Razer, but didn’t like a couple of the thing @maflynn mentioned and in addition I have heard that they get very hot (particularly above the keyboard where the heat sink is) and extremely noisy. I was told MSI is better in that regard?

I am intrigued by the MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro 4K. But I really don’t know much about the MSI laptops, their CS or anything else.

I am also interested in a couple of the usual suspects, the Dell XPS 15 and MS Surface Book 2
I really don’t have any problem with Windows and actually kind of like Windows 10 and have to use it, so that bit doesn’t bug me. But I have never had to use it for audio production, so maybe that’s the saving grace hahaha.

I had a look at the Razer, but didn’t like a couple of the thing @maflynn mentioned and in addition I have heard that they get very hot (particularly above the keyboard where the heat sink is) and extremely noisy. I was told MSI is better in that regard?

I am intrigued by the MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro 4K. But I really don’t know much about the MSI laptops, their CS or anything else.

I am also interested in a couple of the usual suspects, the Dell XPS 15 and MS Surface Book 2

Past life I was a coal miner in Minsk, bad part is they still owe me back pay.... :D
[doublepost=1535689155][/doublepost]
This is what is so "intriguing" (frustrating!) about it... some people have repeated problems, some people have none. It makes me think there is some common factor.

I'm still suspicious about audio being a culprit somehow, in part because of the crackling bug, and part because @StudioSanctum has serious audio software and repeated problems. @SDColorado, do you do anything in particular with audio? Any specialized audio apps installed or that you use? Anyone else that has these problems?

Audio here, also had a kp crash from an Izotope plugin in Logic...

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Steps to reproduce:

1) before going to bed for the night, with the machine operating normally and the lid open, disconnect all equipment from it, including power.

2) Close the lid and don’t touch it again during the night.

3) wake up in the morning (this assumes you sleep 6 hours or so) and open the lid. The meachine will reboot as you open the lid or will have rebooted already. If you didn’t have any applications running, it may be hard to notice that the machine bounced, as sometimes you don’t even get the crash report pop up.

If you can’t reproduce it that way, then I will probably try a new machine.

The machine I had was a clean install of the OS with no apps installed. 100% of the time it rebooted overnight.

Never happened with short sleeps. Always overnight.

Mine always reboots overnight during sleep too, but not every night. I have gone from 1 to 6 days without it rebooting. I haven't had a KP yet since installing the latest supplemental update--bu that doesn't necessarily mean anything since it's only been one night so far.

Reactions: zargap and bigcat

lsbuffs

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2009
I was surprised to get a call from Apple yesterday afternoon asking for more details on my kernel panics. Earlier this week I had reported two within an 8 hour period, both happening after I installed the 2nd supplemental update.

While I had just exchanged the MacBook the day before, I had kept the most recent crash log in an email so I sent that to them. In addition to that we discussed, in extreme detail, what I had been doing at the time of each crash, what I had connected, etc. They seemed genuinely interested and the call ended up lasting 38 minutes. They provided some steps to gather additional information in the event I have similar issues in the future, and we agreed they'll check back in with me in a week.

So far no problems on the replacement unit, although I have not installed the supplemental update 2.

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
Mine always reboots overnight during sleep too, but not every night. I have gone from 1 to 6 days without it rebooting. I haven't had a KP yet since installing the latest supplemental update--bu that doesn't necessarily mean anything since it's only been one night so far.
I had one last night, unlike my first after installing the update I did get a crash log. Haven't gotten a change to examine it more closely. I'm pretty very late but I think I'm gonna finally try to initiate an exchange I think lol

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I returned my 2.6/16gb/512 yesterday. I quite liked it but it was a retail store purchase and I always intended to return it. I get a discount through another friend so when I do decide to purchase I will do it through him. The 2.6 felt plenty speedy for me. In the 10 days I owned it it gave me one KP.

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Yeah.. and I am having an issue bouncing off 100c while just doing simple sh** like check scores on ESPN or syncing my phone with iTunes using my 2.9. Ugh. So frustrating.

That's weird, i also had no issues with my i9, no KPs, no sound crackling and it runs really cool.
With quite few Safari tabs opened, YouTube playing in the background and checking ESPN idles around 36.5-40°C max.
Might be because i have the 555x instead 560x?

Forgot to add + have a perfect lcd, no bleeding, very bright and no pink/blue colors issues.
I'm OCD AF myself, and i pick on every small detail, but this is by far the most perfect machine i got.

Last edited:
Reactions: bevsb2

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
That's weird, i also had no issues with my i9, no KPs, no sound crackling and it runs really cool.
With quite few Safari tabs opened, YouTube playing in the background and checking ESPN idles around 36.5-40°C max.

Forgot to add + have a perfect lcd, no bleeding, very bright and no pink/blue colors issues.
I'm OCD AF myself, and i pick on every small detail, but this is by far the most perfect machine i got.

I definitely haven't had any of the issues with crackling speakers. The screen looks great. No pink/blue color issues, no light bleed. All my keys sound near enough to the same (yes, there are threads about keys sounding different) and otherwise, it seems to be running well, except for the occasional runaway temps. (edit: actually cinebench scores kinda suck for whatever those are worth)

In any case, these new issues with the runaway heat began after the supplemental update 2. Obviously, I can't roll it back since it updates the firmware.

Running Mojave beta isn't an option for me since I have some software that just won't run on it, but I have temporarily installed it with the plan of rolling it back, knowing the firmware will remain updated. I will see how that goes.

But maybe you are on to something and the issue is with the 555x vs the 560x as well? Dunno.

I am glad they extended me to 30 days because I am really wrestling the with the decision to keep it or not.

Reactions: IG88 and DeanPSN

MasterStormcrow

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018

I've had my 2018 i9/32gb/2tb/560x/blackmagicegpu, run perfectly since August 1st and like you, have NEVER had a KP occur, on both high sierra and mojave beta. My job entails daily video editing, in both Mac and Bootcamp, power settings set to default on Mac and performance mode on Windows 10 Pro, still no kp's.

To set my fears at ease, today, August 31, 2018, I contacted AppleCare, patiently waited to be transferred until I reached tier 2 senior level support for Hardware and OS support, spoke to "Chris" and was told that they are well aware of kp's on both iMac Pro and Macbook Pro 2016-present, that it's currently believed to be strictly app/connected peripheral related and if you've not experienced a kp with your current setup, you're in the clear and not to worry.

I was told driver compatibility/communication between 32/64 bit apps, the OS, non apple approved connected hardware and the security t1/t2 chips is the cause of known kp's. Since there are so many different apps and non apple approved peripherals, I was told it's hard to solve everyone's kp scenario especially if some peripherals or apps are unique to certain professional jobs and not well known to be a potential connected device and app combination. He said the best thing for people affected by kp's to do is report them in detail, with a detailed setup of your configuration, along with recently used apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.