Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
Maybe this thread can be more useful if people with (and without) problems can post their configurations. I wonder if there's a pattern.

As long as we're collecting... add the first two characters of serial number (maybe there's a pattern in the factory where it was built)

Mine;
i9 2.9/32GB/2TB/560X/Space Gray
1st two chars of serial = C0

According to https://beetstech.com/blog/decode-meaning-behind-apple-serial-number
C0 = Tech Com – Quanta Computer Subsidiary, China

So far no issues after 34 days of ownership

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Nothing. No peripherals attached. No apps installed. Can't get any cleaner than that. I guess it's possible some peripherals are causing KPs, but there is a more fundamental problem here that Apple needs to get to the bottom of. They won't find it if they continue associating it with peripherals.

Maybe this thread can be more useful if people with (and without) problems can post their configurations. I wonder if there's a pattern.

i9/32gb/2.9Ghz/1tb/560X/Silver, yes post the color, maybe that makes a difference :mad:

That makes both you and @SDColorado in the category of:
KP after clean install, only base OS loaded, no peripherals connected.

I'll put my config in my signature. It's:

i7/2.6GHz/16GB/512GB/560X/SpaceGray.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
As long as we're collecting... add the first two characters of serial number (maybe there's a pattern in the factory where it was built)

Mine;
i9 2.9/32GB/2TB/560X/Space Gray

According to https://beetstech.com/blog/decode-meaning-behind-apple-serial-number
C0 = Tech Com – Quanta Computer Subsidiary, China

So far no issues after 34 days of ownership

All of the ones I have had have been C0

Have you ever attempted the second part? Sorry for harping on this but I've never had a successful boot after trying that second part so I'm curious to see if anyone else can.

@zargap I did try that second part one time, but if I recall it did not reboot if I let it go after 7 seconds. I had to hold down the buttons significantly longer until it rebooted. I am not certain if by doing that it achieved the intended result or not.

Reactions: zargap

cybercho

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2015
i7 2.2/16GB/256GB/555X/Space Gray

Had KP regularly until......I noticed a bug where the CPU will run at 90 degrees Fahrenheit while asleep. I narrowed down the issue to ALLOW APPLE WATCH TO UNLOCK. When I disabled it, the cpu would go to sleep like a good boy and the KPs stopped too. I'll report if they come back.

onelm

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2018
Nothing. No peripherals attached. No apps installed. Can't get any cleaner than that. I guess it's possible some peripherals are causing KPs, but there is a more fundamental problem here that Apple needs to get to the bottom of. They won't find it if they continue associating it with peripherals.

i9/32gb/2.9Ghz/1tb/560X/Silver, yes post the color, maybe that makes a difference :mad:

2017 i7 2.9Ghz / 16GB / 512GB / 560 / SpaceGrey
2018 i9 2.9Ghz / 16GB / 1TB / 560X / SpaceGrey (C0... serial)

Same issues on both. FWIW, I have not had any "no peripherals attached" crashes on my 2018 since the supplemental update. Still crashes on the overnight sleep with displays attached.

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
MBP 2017 i7 / 2.9 / 16GB / 512GB Silver ( SN: C0 )
MBP 2018 i9 / 2.9 / 16GB / 512GB SG ( SN: C0 )

Didn't have any issues at all on either of them, other than the sticky keys on the 2017 MBP that eventually got replaced with the 2018 one.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
i7 2.2/16GB/256GB/555X/Space Gray

Had KP regularly until......I noticed a bug where the CPU will run at 90 degrees Fahrenheit while asleep. I narrowed down the issue to ALLOW APPLE WATCH TO UNLOCK. When I disabled it, the cpu would go to sleep like a good boy and the KPs stopped too. I'll report if they come back.

That’s an interesting issue. It sounds a little like the random run away heat issues I occasionally get. But mine aren’t tied to Allow Apple Watch to Unlock. I have had that setting on and have had it off and it didn’t make any difference for me. I also haven’t had the 90F evoke asleep either. But just interesting that I am not the only one with odd heat issues

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Forgot to add, i experienced a weird bug yesterday:

After having the MBP sleeping for 12hours with 5% battery left, when switched it on everything was running at like 5 FPS, even moving a window arround, so i opened Intel Power Gadget and the CPU was stuck at 800Mhz and didnt solve until i shut it down completely.

Any thoughts or similar experience?

fireedo

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Indonesia
has been a week now (8 days exactly), and my mbp 15 2.6/16/512/560x only have this Brdge OS error once, nothing else (I hope never see KP or Bridge OS error again), also have SN : CO

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

After having the MBP sleeping for 12hours with 5% battery left, when switched it on everything was running at like 5 FPS, even moving a window arround, so i opened Intel Power Gadget and the CPU was stuck at 800Mhz and didnt solve until i shut it down completely.

I had something similar happen. I was giving a lecture for 3 hours, hooked up to a projector and forgot to plug in my power cord. I got the low power warning on the screen, so I put it to sleep immediately. When I woke it up and plugged in again, everything was slow as molasses until I rebooted. Must be a protection feature of some sort.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK

I had that on my first mbp. Press the touchpad numerous times and they all register at once. But it only did that with my first mbp. This mbp (replacement) doesn’t appear to have these issues.

Cervontez

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2018
I9/32gig/512/560x/spacegrey
C0 is the first 2 letters

No KP, sound crackling, bridgeOS.

Just dawned on me that I have had the 90c+ wake temperature. Freaked me out. Since then, I unplug my MacBook when I’m done for the night.

One thing I’ve noticed is waking from sleep is slow since the 2nd supplemental update. I do use wake with Apple Watch.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007

Funny you mention 800MHz speed. The user who posted the undervoltage fix for overheating before Apple’s first fix was released noted that 800MHz is the speed the CPU gets dropped to if the VRM hits max temperature. This is why they went the route of reducing CPU voltage, in order to keep VRM temps from spiking.

Reactions: IG88 and DeanPSN

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
I9/32gig/512/560x/spacegrey
One thing I’ve noticed is waking from sleep is slow since the 2nd supplemental update. I do use wake with Apple Watch.

I had constant issues with Power Nap/Sleeping before the supplement update. Basically my Mac would fall asleep, then wake up soon some time after and never really go to sleep again (if at all, just for a few minutes before waking up again).

I had it connected to a thunderbolt dock and monitor etc. but really it made no difference.

Ever since the supplement update 2 its fine though.

You can read the wake-reasons by running
Code:
pmset -g log
in Terminal.

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Funny you mention 800MHz speed. The user who posted the undervoltage fix for overheating before Apple’s first fix was released noted that 800MHz is the speed the CPU gets dropped to if the VRM hits max temperature. This is why they went the route of reducing CPU voltage, in order to keep VRM temps from spiking.

I remember reading that, however the mbp was sleeping and was very cool, fans dead silent, so i doubt the VRM was hot.
Probably some weird glitch related to the fact that the battery was 5% and sleeping for 12h, don't know.
I left it today with 5% unplugged and sleeping before i came to work, will see when i get back if i can replicate this or not. :)

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
I had constant issues with Power Nap/Sleeping before the supplement update. Basically my Mac would fall asleep, then wake up soon some time after and never really go to sleep again (if at all, just for a few minutes before waking up again).

I had it connected to a thunderbolt dock and monitor etc. but really it made no difference.

Ever since the supplement update 2 its fine though.

You can read the wake-reasons by running
Code:
pmset -g log
in Terminal.

Supplemental update 2 didn't help me with this. When I put mine to sleep it gets maybe 20 seconds per hour of actual sleep (the LED on my CalDigit TS3+ shows when the machine is awake). And it's always warm to the touch.

It's not great.

It's not great technically at least. Winter is coming to Denmark, and the prospect of always picking up a warm laptop is actually kind of charming.

Last edited:

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
has been a week now (8 days exactly), and my mbp 15 2.6/16/512/560x only have this Brdge OS error once, nothing else (I hope never see KP or Bridge OS error again), also have SN : CO
When did your KP happen? Have you installed the 2nd supplementary update for 10.13.6? It is said to fix the KP caused by Bridge OS error.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
So how is everyone getting on with KPs and the 2nd supp. update? Unfortunately I cannot comment as the update did not apply to my iMP.

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
So how is everyone getting on with KPs and the 2nd supp. update? Unfortunately I cannot comment as the update did not apply to my iMP.

Haven't had one yet, and I installed a few hours after it came out.

Machine shut it self down without user-facing error the next day though. Along with some pretty wacky stuff with displays. And my CPU temp is crazy high (just under 100C) when the machine has just booted.

Disclaimer: Every system I've had with Radeon gfx cards has been horrible (5-6 at this point I believe). And it's always turned out to be the card itself or the gfx drivers that sucked. I'm cursed somehow.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Haven't had one yet, and I installed a few hours after it came out.

Machine shut it self down without user-facing error the next day though. Along with some pretty wacky stuff with displays. And my CPU temp is crazy high (just under 100C) when the machine has just booted.

Disclaimer: Every system I've had with Radeon gfx cards has been horrible (5-6 at this point I believe). And it's always turned out to be the card itself or the gfx drivers that sucked. I'm cursed somehow.
I am terribly sorry to hear this. That is not good. I hope others are fairing well...

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

No kernel panics since the update. Random routine stuff causing fans and temps to ramp up in the mid-90's to 100c since the update. Broke down yesterday and installed Mojove beta on it. I don't plan to keep it that way, but wanted it to update the firmware again. I will revert back on Monday after playing with it for the weekend.

I can't say that I am really all that overwhelmed with the machine though. Maybe the series of problem just has me in a bit of a funk over it... but I don't love it.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
No kernel panics since the update. Random routine stuff causing fans and temps to ramp up in the mid-90's to 100c since the update. Broke down yesterday and installed Mojove beta on it. I don't plan to keep it that way, but wanted it to update the firmware again. I will revert back on Monday after playing with it for the weekend.

I can't say that I am really all that overwhelmed with the machine though. Maybe the series of problem just has me in a bit of a funk over it... but I don't love it.
So now it sounds like people are having high temperature issues...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.