Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
It will depend if they decide this is a hardware issue only remediable through a service strategy. And if thats the case they may still opt not to publicly announce and simple flag units which come in for service.

I will bet that no matter what they do or how many are affected, it will be announced as "very small percentage," which could mean anything from 1% to not all of them :)

Reactions: M.Rizk and DeanPSN

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I will bet that no matter what they do or how many are affected, it will be announced as "very small percentage," which could mean anything from 1% to not all of them :)
Yeah I very much doubt this is anywhere close to prevalent. Most people have no idea a new computer even came out let alone that there is a symphony of online nerds devoting their lives to discussing a bug in their units.

dreubencr

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2018
Awesome feedback everyone.

So next questions -

For users that are NOT crashing -

Do you use non-Apple Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C items such as docks, drives, other storage?

Do you leave them attached while your computer sleeps?

I use AWKEY and Syntech USB-C - USBA adaptors for keyboard/mouse, USB3.0 drives, iPad and iPhone. Zero KP's ever.

TB 30.2

Reactions: fullauto

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Awesome feedback everyone.

So next questions -

For users that are NOT crashing -

Do you use non-Apple Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C items such as docks, drives, other storage?

Do you leave them attached while your computer sleeps?
Yes I do, a Belkin dock. No crash, but this is my 2nd MBP and it has never crashed at all.

TB firmware is 30.2
macOS Mojave 10.14 Beta (18A377a)

Reactions: fullauto

jjs357

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
Bryn Mawr PA
This is my experience as well; no KPs since the 2nd supplemental update.

Same for me. No KPs since the 2nd update.

I also switch between the Mojave Beta and High Sierra and occasionally have various adapters plugged in when the computer sleeps and no KPs in the last 2 weeks at least.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Never had a single BridgeOS panic until 2 days ago (after the supplemental update).

Put my 2018 TB 13" MBP to sleep, plugged in to the wall, no peripherals attached. Opened it in the morning and it booted up instead of waking up, and told me it had crashed. Looked at the crash report which mentioned BridgeOS at the top.

So only 1 KP in the last 2 months and it was after the 2nd supplemental update.

Reactions: eagerwu and bigcat

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Had another one today, 13" i5/16/512/space gray. Nothing attached, not even power. Booted from clean shutdown after being shutdown for a couple of days. Entered my password to login, then got the SMC/BridgeOS KP. It rebooted, I logged in, got the error report and sent to Apple.

ETA: This is the only time I get "the" KP on this machine, logging in after clean shutdown after it's been sitting for a few days with nothing attached. Have yet to have one while logged in/working on the computer.

ETA2: Experiencing very erratic battery readings today as well. Before KP when logging in, 97%. After the KP reboot, 99%. 10 minutes after logging in, 93%.

Last edited:

n3t_runn3r

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
Update on my work with Apple: After I provided numerous sysdiagnose dumps immediately after experiencing wake KP's, Apple stated said they don't need any additional dumps. In the call, they seemed to choose their words very carefully, implying a software update will be coming which "may provide a resolution assuming the issue you are experiencing is the same as what we are working on" and "...it may be best to be patient.", but they did give me the choice of going down the path toward hardware swap if I wanted. "It's your choice". Given the tech's tone and wording, I took this as a gentle hint that it would be a waste of my time to swap hardware and this is a software/firmware fix.

dreubencr

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2018
Update on my work with Apple: After I provided numerous sysdiagnose dumps immediately after experiencing wake KP's, Apple stated said they don't need any additional dumps. In the call, they seemed to choose their words very carefully, implying a software update will be coming which "may provide a resolution assuming the issue you are experiencing is the same as what we are working on" and "...it may be best to be patient.", but they did give me the choice of going down the path toward hardware swap if I wanted. "It's your choice". Given the tech's tone and wording, I took this as a gentle hint that it would be a waste of my time to swap hardware and this is a software/firmware fix.

Thanks for the update! I guess the supplemental updates will keep on coming... Definitely a rushed product. Oh well.

Reactions: M.Rizk

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
No supplementals, running latest PB9 of Mojave - on connecting thunderbolt dock (driving two screens via Caldigit TS3+) - I am now getting frozen black screens that won't unfreeze until the cable is disconnected. On one occasion (this morning) I disconnected the cable, the machine crashed (fans made a brief but loud woosh), crash notification with report on reboot - the same '210'/BridgeOS crash. Submitted to Apple support.

MikelVB

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2018
Hi all.

New 2018 MBP here, 13", i5, 256GB, 8GB RAM. Purchased 9/4. Set up, left it to download some stuff, worked great. Today, 9/5, plugged it in while I was using it before work. Got home at lunch and it wouldn't wake up, restarted and got the KP notice.

Never plugged anything other than the supplied charger into the MBP. At this time it was in the lower-left USB port.

Also experiencing some double presses on the spacebar but massaged it for about 20 seconds as I read on here somewhere and that seems to have cleared up (knock on wood).

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Hi all.

New 2018 MBP here, 13", i5, 256GB, 8GB RAM. Purchased 9/4. Set up, left it to download some stuff, worked great. Today, 9/5, plugged it in while I was using it before work. Got home at lunch and it wouldn't wake up, restarted and got the KP notice.

Never plugged anything other than the supplied charger into the MBP. At this time it was in the lower-left USB port.

Also experiencing some double presses on the spacebar but massaged it for about 20 seconds as I read on here somewhere and that seems to have cleared up (knock on wood).

The keypresses were one of a few issues I had with a couple of MacBook Pros. I just returned unit #3 and called it quits with the 2018 models. I had a few instanced of a key pressed not working on the first press (R,T and Y come to mind, maybe another) and the 8 key stuck a couple of times. I am no longer confident that the silicon barrier has solved all the issues with the butterfly keyboard.

I think there are a few things that need to be worked out with the MacBook Pro line before I will try another. Hopping for an updated design in the future.

guillone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
The keypresses were one of a few issues I had with a couple of MacBook Pros. I just returned unit #3 and called it quits with the 2018 models. I had a few instanced of a key pressed not working on the first press (R,T and Y come to mind, maybe another) and the 8 key stuck a couple of times. I am no longer confident that the silicon barrier has solved all the issues with the butterfly keyboard.

I think there are a few things that need to be worked out with the MacBook Pro line before I will try another. Hopping for an updated design in the future.
@SDColorado, got the Alienware 17 R5 today. Runs like a top so far. I bought the 8750H i7 with GTX 1070, 32Gb ram, 512ssd - thermals are good, set it to performance mode: hovering @ 60c on CPU and 54c on GPU, was streaming a vid at 1080p, stayed rock solid at these temps, fan was very quiet - so far so good, I'll keep you posted.....

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
@SDColorado, got the Alienware 17 R5 today. Runs like a top so far. I bought the 8750H i7 with GTX 1070, 32Gb ram, 512ssd - thermals are good, set it to performance mode: hovering @ 60c on CPU and 54c on GPU, was streaming a vid at 1080p, stayed rock solid at these temps, fan was very quiet - so far so good, I'll keep you posted.....

Thanks! I look forward to hearing your review. I still like the idea of a 15”, but with the specs that beast has a 17” is the way to go. Razer Blade Pro looks good in that regard as well.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Thanks! I look forward to hearing your review. I still like the idea of a 15”, but with the specs that beast has a 17” is the way to go. Razer Blade Pro looks good in that regard as well.

Bought a iMac 5k 2017 base, and it doesn't have any issues. No T1 or T2 chip. Mixing ARM and x86 seems more like an ideology than a reality at the current level.

Last edited:

Broslowski

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2018
Hello guys, got same problems mentioned in this thread... I went so bad that i was not able to get more then few hours of uptime. Even in case i was literary disconnected from Wifi, BT, all ports empty, watching video via VLC... out of nowhere - freeze. Few times per day. This started to happened after supplementary update 2, before that, i got problems with overheating and touch-bar in general (touch-bar went freeze and it eventually fcked up whole system in few minutes..)

This is so sad... 2000euro machine and problems like this, i should go with XPS and be happy, but now, i wanna apple and i got what i want. System is so unreliable i need to do my professional work on my PC...

Last night i loose my **** and did clean install of OS, updated everything, and i am waiting for my next KP...

Any way how to address those problems closer to apple? I mean i know they are aware of them, but it is so long time after system lunch i am loosing any hope i will be able to use my 2000 euro mac as my main machine... two updates already issues and literary NOTHING was solved.. And i am not even going to talk about ridiculous system fan management.

Just curious - is there any way how to completely disable touch-bar ?

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/5202/c2pqe3jx_png.htm

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
ust curious - is there any way how to completely disable touch-bar ?
The touchbar, maybe, but not the T2, since its needed to do on the fly decryption and interact with the components, like the FaceTime camera.

Broslowski

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2018
Ok i got another, maybe interesting finding...
Installed WIN 10 via bootcamp - did not run long enough but had no problems whatsoever.. however! I am using 3rd party dock station https://lmp-adapter.com/product/lmp-usb-c-display-dock/ (btw awesome thing if you need to run 2+ monitor setup with 4k 60Hz display supported!). Under MacOS - it is ridiculously HOT. I mean it is so hot i can not touch it with bare hand..
On Windows, with same things connected, its warm... Not sure if this mean anything relevant but isn't it strange? Why it matter what OS i am running when it came to external type C adapter? strange..

Reactions: Ricky199324

tjoab

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
so i pulled the trigger...ended up getting a 13". havent updated to the supplemental yet, but so far so good...keeping the settings to factory as far as power saving and stuff. Ill keep you guys updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.