Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjoab

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
so i encountered something weird the other day... i was doing a small edit in premier, not intensive at all, in fact it was compressed 1080 footage sooo, yeah anyways, i went to add an adjustment layer on the clip and the program kinda stopped but not entirely, it almost felt like a drop in frame rate. anyways I thought it was just a the program buggin out and stopped responding, so i went to go exit out and realized my cursor had disappeared, and then boom the machine restarted...

i was like great, guess the KP bandwagon caught up to me, but I logged back in to a normal desktop... no "your mac restarted due to an error" or any other popups, there wasn't even a crash report in the logs. Any idea what this was? Maybe apple trying to tell me to use FCP lmaooo

(2018 13" running HS without supplemental 2)

This has been my only experience so far and its been almost 2 weeks, note that i have NOT installed supplemental 2 (HS)
I don't even know whether to call this a KP, I don't use encryption (never used it on my 2012 mbp so didnt enable it, but all other settings are default)

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
I'm still on High Sierra. No KP since the 2nd supplemental update.

Looks like I spoke too soon. I'm positive that I had an unplanned reboot shortly after 10pm Sunday night.

But this time, no kernel panic log, no warning message.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDColorado

tjoab

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
Looks like I spoke too soon. I'm positive that I had an unplanned reboot sometime today while I was at work. But this time, no kernel panic log, no warning message.

might be similar to what I had, but mine happened literally as i'm using the machine

nanu146

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2018
I've been closely following this issue on the internet and came to know only a small percentage of the MBPs are having these issues, or atleast that is how few websites claim. I can ask the seller here( India) if they have encountered any such cases to access the the quality of the batch, but I am pretty sure that the seller won't be honest. I was really considering buying the machine until I came across these crash cases, but now, I am really confused. Do you guys suggest it is worth to try my luck and buy MBP anyways? I'm considering this machine for web and mobile dev.

svermill

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2018
I've been closely following this issue on the internet and came to know only a small percentage of the MBPs are having these issues, or atleast that is how few websites claim. I can ask the seller here( India) if they have encountered any such cases to access the the quality of the batch, but I am pretty sure that the seller won't be honest. I was really considering buying the machine until I came across these crash cases, but now, I am really confused. Do you guys suggest it is worth to try my luck and buy MBP anyways? I'm considering this machine for web and mobile dev.

I would certainly advise waiting until at least a few weeks following the Mojave release to see what, if any, impact that will have. And if that doesn't clear up the issue, and Apple still doesn't come clean with some kind of T2 chip defect they've corrected, I would put the 2018 MPB on permeant no-buy status. It's just too expensive of a machine to behave like some sort of knock-off counterfeit junk.

tjoab

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018

I feel like they are a lot more usable now then when they were first released. I also feel that not all machine are affected. If you can wait, I definitely would, see what happens when the full release of mojave comes out. I think we are on somewhat of an uphill trend now after the disastrous start...

Broslowski

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2018
@nanu146

MPB 2018 is not well designed machine with many flaws:
- thermal management is weak

- Apple did not prepared for proper 4cores/8threads CPUs with thermal solution redesign, so basically every time you can utilise all cores at the same time you will hit TCOREMAX in seconds and there is NOW way, CPU is able to transfer all that heat from heat-spreader to thermal solution in that time. And i am talking about weakest configuration with 2,3GHz i5 CPU.. (if you think you are not reaching 100 degrees on cores, you are reading CPU proximity temperature, not CPU CORE temperatures for sure... this is thermal design apple went for).

- hybrid ARM + x86 architecture hybrid connected via infamous bridge OS (at the end this will have limitations to the point when you wont be able to fix everything just by SW updates..Bridge OS KP is just tip of the iceberg - there are many other problems with communication bridge between two completely different CPU architectures).

However, rest of the machine is superb, even keyboard is super nice comparing with 2017 model, those membranes did it for me big time..
You can get much better machine for that money and go to nice vacation with leftover money. However, when you are stuck in ecosystem and you willing to go thru many pains this machine got (they are more technicalities basic user do not even know about) go for it.

@CreeptoLoser out of curiosity, do you mind running https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/ on your mac? You can really easily get some **** to your MAC or PC via torrents even w/o knowing it.

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
Maybe their "fix" for the kernel panics was just turning off the notification!

It wasn't. I haven't had a KP since Supplemental Update 2 until last night. I've been trying to hack Windows 10 down onto a USB-C / USB3 SSD drive (Samsung t5) and experienced a panic *caused by* Bridge OS last night.

Panics still get reported, but I'm pretty sure the cause of the majority of the KP's that brought us to this thread to start with has been solved.

That's not to say this a particularly well-behaved machine yet.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Update on my work with Apple: After I provided numerous sysdiagnose dumps immediately after experiencing wake KP's, Apple stated said they don't need any additional dumps. In the call, they seemed to choose their words very carefully, implying a software update will be coming which "may provide a resolution assuming the issue you are experiencing is the same as what we are working on" and "...it may be best to be patient.", but they did give me the choice of going down the path toward hardware swap if I wanted. "It's your choice". Given the tech's tone and wording, I took this as a gentle hint that it would be a waste of my time to swap hardware and this is a software/firmware fix.
Your post made me decide to order a 15''/i9/560X/32GB/1TB/Silver last Friday, because I had already delayed the purchase and it was getting difficult to delay it more, as I'll be really needing it in early October or even late September. Also, since it's in silver, I got a 15-day of delivery time, which makes me guess it's coming from factory, which sounds better for me (this very same configuration seems to be available in Apple Stores too, but in space grey only).

However, now I have mixed feelings... because they didn't release any other supplemental update yet... so I'm starting to worry. Today I felt like cancelling the order (I can still cancel it), but then I realised that I need the machine for late September / early October.

Reading your post again, I read again that sentence "...it may be best to be patient." that Apple engineers told you, and also that you got the feeling that another software update was coming... and this helps me to keep some hope, but honestly, from what Apple is doing these years to the Mac, it's not easy to really calm down.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Your post made me decide to order a 15''/i9/560X/32GB/1TB/Silver last Friday, because I had already delayed the purchase and it was getting difficult to delay it more, as I'll be really needing it in early October or even late September. Also, since it's in silver, I got a 15-day of delivery time, which makes me guess it's coming from factory, which sounds better for me (this very same configuration seems to be available in Apple Stores too, but in space grey only).

However, now I have mixed feelings... because they didn't release any other supplemental update yet... so I'm starting to worry. Today I felt like cancelling the order (I can still cancel it), but then I realised that I need the machine for late September / early October.

Reading your post again, I read again that sentence "...it may be best to be patient." that Apple engineers told you, and also that you got the feeling that another software update was coming... and this helps me to keep some hope, but honestly, from what Apple is doing these years to the Mac, it's not easy to really calm down.
A counter story - my wife has had that exact unit since launch day and runs the heck out of it w video and graphics and has not had one single problem or KP.

Reactions: asiga

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016

Keep in mind that Mojave is about to launch, and as such, they aren't really incentivized to spend as much time fixing High Sierra as they are rolling the fixes into Mojave.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Keep in mind that Mojave is about to launch, and as such, they aren't really incentivized to spend as much time fixing High Sierra as they are rolling the fixes into Mojave.
I really hope they do roll the fixes back to High Sierra... I won't update so soon (in fact, when placing the order last Friday, I asked if there was some risk of getting Mojave, since the delivery date was set to Sept 28, and they assured me that if I placed the order on Friday, I would get High Sierra).

Last but not least, I assume my unit comes from factory, so maybe the firmware is already updated to the latest, in factory.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
After rolling back to HS, installing supplementals, and a week with no KP's I upgraded to Mojave a few days ago. No KP's, all good, but I've had the same error 210 BridgeOS KP again this morning. Hopefully GM has ironed out the issues.

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
So I just wiped and reinstalled, after playing some Steam games my computer froze and did the loud whoosh while mucking in system preferences. Finally gonna attempt a return... on Tuesday

tjoab

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
kinda unrelated, but has anyone had any issues with faulty sensors? Specifically fan sensors... noticed mine dont work, or are switched off.. the fans works, I know that but I have tried numerous widgets and apps (including istats) to monitor fan speeds etc and all of them say "inactive"

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
Well I am 1 day past my 2 week return period and I have just had my first Bridge OS crash :( I hope apple fix this with an update. I have installed all the patches but obviously it doesn't make a difference.

Reactions: IG88

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
A counter story - my wife has had that exact unit since launch day and runs the heck out of it w video and graphics and has not had one single problem or KP.

Does she have FileVault turned on?
[doublepost=1537436080][/doublepost]
Well I am 1 day past my 2 week return period and I have just had my first Bridge OS crash :( I hope apple fix this with an update. I have installed all the patches but obviously it doesn't make a difference.
Just out of curiosity, what were you doing when you got the KP? Something related to sleep? Copying files from/to a disk with FileVault enabled? Using the touchbar? Or any other thing?

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
Just out of curiosity, what were you doing when you got the KP? Something related to sleep? Copying files from/to a disk with FileVault enabled? Using the touchbar? Or any other thing?

It was asleep overnight, not connected to anything. opened the lid this morning and there was the kernel panic. Can't believe it happened on day 15.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It was asleep overnight, not connected to anything. opened the lid this morning and there was the kernel panic. Can't believe it happened on day 15.
If you want to take it back, contact apple, many apple store managers are fairly flexible and will be willing to allow a return 1 day beyond the return period.

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
If you want to take it back, contact apple, many apple store managers are fairly flexible and will be willing to allow a return 1 day beyond the return period.

I could try that however this one I have has the most uniform screen I have ever had on a MacBook so I really don't want to part with it. Very happy with the machine and I really do believe (well I hope) apple will fix this problem with an update. There are too many people having this issue on the MacBook Pro and iMac Pro so I would be very surprised if it is a hardware issue.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would be very surprised if it is a hardware issue.
It sounded like you wanted to return it, given the context of your post. As for hardware vs. software, I have no idea, but it seems they're fixing this with each revision. The latest supplemental update did a lot to help those afflicted with the T2 crashing

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
It sounded like you wanted to return it, given the context of your post. As for hardware vs. software, I have no idea, but it seems they're fixing this with each revision. The latest supplemental update did a lot to help those afflicted with the T2 crashing

Don't really want to return it but just find it crazy it happens on day 15 (it is like it knew I was outside the return window haha). When Mojave gets released I will do a clean install and hope that the issue is fixed.

lsbuffs

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2009
Don't really want to return it but just find it crazy it happens on day 15 (it is like it knew I was outside the return window haha). When Mojave gets released I will do a clean install and hope that the issue is fixed.

I exchanged mine on day 15 without issue, after first working with Apple Support, who contacted the store on my behalf before I went in.

Replacement machine has had two KPs, most recently this morning. Both of the bridge OS errors reference sleep/wake. I have not installed supplemental update 2 on this replacement unit as the bridge OS problems I had on the original machine became more frequent after I installed that update.

So in my case, I have experienced the issue on two machines, both before and after supplemental update 2. At this point, going to wait for the non-beta Mojave release and see if that may address.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
No file vault. All factory settings in firmware are default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.