Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sonic

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
still getting endless freezes and crashes on this thing. sometimes it just hangs on wakeup, needing cold reboot. but it's like crash reports have stopped logging the last couple of weeks, so i no longer have any idea what's causing it. the senior advisors have stopped replying to me, having refused an refund / repalcement, despite having virtually zero decent uptime in the 6 weeks i've owned it. this £4700 computer was a huge investment for my business that i could barely justify, unless it saved me a heap of time. so far work is slower than on my 2012 due to glitches. i'm even thinking of using the 2012 again tbh, as i can't trust this thing not to lose my work

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
still getting endless freezes and crashes on this thing. sometimes it just hangs on wakeup, needing cold reboot. but it's like crash reports have stopped logging the last couple of weeks, so i no longer have any idea what's causing it. the senior advisors have stopped replying to me, having refused an refund / repalcement, despite having virtually zero decent uptime in the 6 weeks i've owned it. this £4700 computer was a huge investment for my business that i could barely justify, unless it saved me a heap of time. so far work is slower than on my 2012 due to glitches. i'm even thinking of using the 2012 again tbh, as i can't trust this thing not to lose my work
I've tried to get an idea of the issues you are having, from your posts in other threads. It looks like your problems are not just the BridgeOS KPs. If you find there's no possible replacement, then I'd try to diagnose if there's something wrong in your hardware, or if it's a matter of suffering SW/FW bugs because of installing software that might cause problems. If I were you, I'd wipe the hard disk completely, and I'd install MacOS from scratch. Then I'd try to install only the software that I'd really need, giving preference to applications that don't have a installer (installers shouldn't exist for third-party software in MacOS, IMHO). If you really need applications that have a installer, give preference to those that have a good reputation with their Mac support.

Btw, I see you mention DropBox in your posts. I'd try to get DropBox out of the game if you install MacOS from scratch. DropBox has a web interface that is not that hard to use (in fact I've avoided installing DropBox in all my Macs except in my employer iMac at my office desk, because I don't like the idea of third-party software running at boot time or at session start... I always try to avoid the clutter for which Windows is famous). I always use DropBox through the web interface, except in my employer iMac where they required us to install the software.

You also mention problems with Safari. Again, when installing from scratch, I'd avoid all kinds of extensions/add-ons/codecs/etc/etc, and leave Safari pure as water. Also, all kinds of social networks, chatting, and Internet-related software, I wouldn't install anything of that.

If after this, you are getting the same issues, I'd say you hardware has some defect... and it certainly doesn't look like the BridgeOS KPs that are discussed in this thread... you are facing something else.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I've tried to get an idea of the issues you are having, from your posts in other threads. It looks like your problems are not just the BridgeOS KPs. If you find there's no possible replacement, then I'd try to diagnose if there's something wrong in your hardware, or if it's a matter of suffering SW/FW bugs because of installing software that might cause problems. If I were you, I'd wipe the hard disk completely, and I'd install MacOS from scratch. Then I'd try to install only the software that I'd really need, giving preference to applications that don't have a installer (installers shouldn't exist for third-party software in MacOS, IMHO). If you really need applications that have a installer, give preference to those that have a good reputation with their Mac support.

Btw, I see you mention DropBox in your posts. I'd try to get DropBox out of the game if you install MacOS from scratch. DropBox has a web interface that is not that hard to use (in fact I've avoided installing DropBox in all my Macs except in my employer iMac at my office desk, because I don't like the idea of third-party software running at boot time or at session start... I always try to avoid the clutter for which Windows is famous). I always use DropBox through the web interface, except in my employer iMac where they required us to install the software.

You also mention problems with Safari. Again, when installing from scratch, I'd avoid all kinds of extensions/add-ons/codecs/etc/etc, and leave Safari pure as water. Also, all kinds of social networks, chatting, and Internet-related software, I wouldn't install anything of that.

If after this, you are getting the same issues, I'd say you hardware has some defect... and it certainly doesn't look like the BridgeOS KPs that are discussed in this thread... you are facing something else.

Dropbox can be configured so that it doesn’t run when the OS starts and can be turned on and off at will. Regardless, the software is signed and uses encryption. Your data is split into tiny encrypted bits during sync. It wouldn’t cause kernel panics.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Dropbox can be configured so that it doesn’t run when the OS starts and can be turned on and off at will. Regardless, the software is signed and uses encryption. Your data is split into tiny encrypted bits during sync. It wouldn’t cause kernel panics.
Of course Dropbox is a software a lot of people use. But if you read the symptoms Sonic described in other threads, it looks a scenario different (or at least wider) to the BridgeOS KP we are discussing here (he's also getting system freezes and Safari issues). And all of that looks like either a defective MBP, or a MacOS installation cluttered with unnecessary software that perhaps is not tested enough with the newest MBPs. So my suggestion was more in the lines of "start from scratch again, install only the apps you really need for your work, avoid installers if possible -as they write files in system directories, may register services, etc..., and run it as clean as possible. If the same problem persists, then it's defective hardware. If problems are either gone, or only the BridgeOS KPs happen, then the culprit was the software he installed, not the hardware.

My preference for running Dropbox from the web interface rather than installing it is more of a personal preference, of course. I didn't know you could turn it off. Anyway, it's a kind of service registered in the system that I tend to dislike, but that's personal preference, of course. I admit in my advice I mixed the procedure for checking if it's a defective unit with my personal preference regarding Dropbox.

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
At this point I think a replacement is the only fix. Maybe Mojave, but we'll have to wait for that. There's no consistency in software anyone is running, people have reported it out of the box.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
At this point I think a replacement is the only fix. Maybe Mojave, but we'll have to wait for that. There's no consistency in software anyone is running, people have reported it out of the box.
A replacement won't fix the BridgeOS KPs (it may fix other issues that you might have, as perhaps in the case of Sonic if his causes are defective hardware, but it won't fix the BridgeOS KPs). All symptoms point in the direction that all units are affected the same, just that only some users are triggering the KPs (because of either settings, software, or ways of using the machine), and other ones not triggering it. But I feel quite confident that a MBP assembled today will have exactly the same chance of getting BridgeOS KPs as the rest.

Reactions: iZeljko

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
A replacement won't fix the BridgeOS KPs (it may fix other issues that you might have, as perhaps in the case of Sonic if his causes are defective hardware, but it won't fix the BridgeOS KPs). All symptoms point in the direction that all units are affected the same, just that only some users are triggering the KPs (because of either settings, software, or ways of using the machine), and other ones not triggering it. But I feel quite confident that a MBP assembled today will have exactly the same chance of getting BridgeOS KPs as the rest.
I’m certainly putting my mbpr upgrade on hold because of this problem.
My next hope is the release of updated iMac. Hope they have figured out the KP & T2 related problems by then.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
I’m certainly putting my mbpr upgrade on hold because of this problem.
My next hope is the release of updated iMac. Hope they have figured out the KP & T2 related problems by then.
You lucky guy! I had to order a 15’’/i9/560X/32GB/1TB/Silver because I’m not able to delay the purchase anymore (I delayed it as much as I could). I’ll receive it next Friday, and I hope the BridgeOS KPs won’t be triggered by my ways of using the Mac (although I’ll need to enable FileVault, and that really scares me, as FileVault is performed by the T2).
[doublepost=1537644307][/doublepost]
i can report 8 days of uptime on Mojave latest Beta.
Do you have FileVault enabled?

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Thats a poor bet if you've been following this thread. There are plenty of units without any KPs which are running full loads with plenty of third party software and some that out of the box are KPing with nothing going at all. To charge in here guns blazing claiming to understand the full scope of the issue is kind of presumptuous.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Of course Dropbox is a software a lot of people use. But if you read the symptoms Sonic described in other threads, it looks a scenario different (or at least wider) to the BridgeOS KP we are discussing here (he's also getting system freezes and Safari issues). And all of that looks like either a defective MBP, or a MacOS installation cluttered with unnecessary software that perhaps is not tested enough with the newest MBPs. So my suggestion was more in the lines of "start from scratch again, install only the apps you really need for your work, avoid installers if possible -as they write files in system directories, may register services, etc..., and run it as clean as possible. If the same problem persists, then it's defective hardware. If problems are either gone, or only the BridgeOS KPs happen, then the culprit was the software he installed, not the hardware.

My preference for running Dropbox from the web interface rather than installing it is more of a personal preference, of course. I didn't know you could turn it off. Anyway, it's a kind of service registered in the system that I tend to dislike, but that's personal preference, of course. I admit in my advice I mixed the procedure for checking if it's a defective unit with my personal preference regarding Dropbox.

Dropbox, iCloud or Google Drive cannot cause the panics. There's no method for them to cause that if you know how Finder extensions work. They don't query hardware in any way that would cause a firmware or controller related crash, otherwise the Finder would do the same thing.

Using Dropbox et all exclusively through the browser is your loss. You won't get color label support, integration, opening docs directly in apps, etc. Seems a bit insane and paranoid tbh.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Dropbox, iCloud or Google Drive cannot cause the panics. There's no method for them to cause that if you know how Finder extensions work. They don't query hardware in any way that would cause a firmware or controller related crash, otherwise the Finder would do the same thing.

Using Dropbox et all exclusively through the browser is your loss. You won't get color label support, integration, opening docs directly in apps, etc. Seems a bit insane and paranoid tbh.
Have you read Sonic’s posts? His issues are not just BridgeOS KPs. I’m not saying that app X is the culprit. I’m just saying that if he does a vanilla installation and he still gets system freezes, beachballs in Safari, and all sorts of rare stuff, then it’s sure he got a defective unit. Of course it’s simpler to just shout “defective unit!” without trying to diagnose if there’s other cause. Regarding being paranoid, perhaps I’m a little bit because otherwise I wouldn’t have kept a late 2010 MBA in 10.6.8 for 8 years (and booting in less than 10 seconds, BTW).
[doublepost=1537647645][/doublepost]
Thats a poor bet if you've been following this thread. There are plenty of units without any KPs which are running full loads with plenty of third party software and some that out of the box are KPing with nothing going at all. To charge in here guns blazing claiming to understand the full scope of the issue is kind of presumptuous.
If it was defective hardware (in the sense of some units failing and others not), it would be fixed in units shipped in September (because they would have located defective batches or defective assembly procedures), but users seem to claim that new units are still getting the issue. I don’t think it’s presumptuous to say that the smoking gun points to all units being affected in the same way (most likely a SW or FW issue rather than hardware). After all, some users are closing the lid every 10 minutes and others never make the MBP sleep (just to mention one difference that could explain why some see the issue and other not... not to mention the big universe of different combinations of settings that we can have different in our machines).

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Have you read Sonic’s posts? His issues are not just BridgeOS KPs. I’m not saying that app X is the culprit. I’m just saying that if he does a vanilla installation and he still gets system freezes, beachballs in Safari, and all sorts of rare stuff, then it’s sure he got a defective unit. Of course it’s simpler to just shout “defective unit!” without trying to diagnose if there’s other cause. Regarding being paranoid, perhaps I’m a little bit because otherwise I wouldn’t have kept a late 2010 MBA in 10.6.8 for 8 years (and booting in less than 10 seconds, BTW).
If it was defective hardware (in the sense of some units failing and others not), it would be fixed in units shipped in September (because they would have located defective batches or defective assembly procedures), but users seem to claim that new units are still getting the issue. I don’t think it’s presumptuous to say that the smoking gun points to all units being affected in the same way (most likely a SW or FW issue rather than hardware). After all, some users are closing the lid every 10 minutes and others never make the MBP sleep (just to mention one difference that could explain why some see the issue and other not... not to mention the big universe of different combinations of settings that we can have different in our machines).
I respectfully disagree. I have two of these units myself - one 2.9ghz X 32gb X 1tb under heavy load with plenty of 3P software installed being used by my wife, the most tech accident prone person on the planet, and it is working flawlessly. This unit was bought on day one of in-store availability.

My other unit is a 2.6 x 16gb x 1TB. Working great, had one KP early on and now nothing.

There's been so so much history on this thread is what Im trying to tell you and there seems to be no rhyme or reason. People have done this testing. Sure potentially all units could be affected by you have no more grounds to say that than some units are affected and not others, actually maybe less ground as the evidence points more strongly to that reality. Given the fairly major misunderstandings you're being corrected on regarding software behavior Id just concede...

Last edited:
Reactions: zargap

shellsnail

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018

Mojave doesn't fix it. I've been on 10.14 for weeks. Crashes still happen from time to time.

Reactions: SDColorado

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
3A8F777E-10C1-4887-9765-22D3CD42C71C.png
From a thread measuring

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
I don't think that's true at all but okay.
Mojave doesn't fix it. I've been on 10.14 for weeks. Crashes still happen from time to time.
Beta tho. I’ve been spending wayyyyy too much of my attention on this thread instead of pursuing replacement. Still holdinging our hope that the GM Mojave addresses it somehow but not cancelling my appointment.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA

Beta tho. I’ve been spending wayyyyy too much of my attention on this thread instead of pursuing replacement. Still holdinging our hope that the GM Mojave addresses it somehow but not cancelling my appointment.
Mojave will be official Monday, so a little bit more to wait

shellsnail

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018

I am quite sure it’s not going to update the version already. Developers didn’t get any update for iOS 12 when the actual date came along either.

joss.b

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
I had these bridgeOS panics during safe sleep (hibernation) with reboots after lid-open on my 2018 i9 MBP at first, too (FileVault enabled; also getting the crypto_val warnings when running First Aid in DiskUtility, incl. when booted from Recovery, but everything else was/is working fine so far regardless.) I managed to squash the bridgeOS panics by tweaking power management with `sudo pmset -a`, specifically by setting to 0 `womp`, `tcpkeepalive`, and `networkoversleep`. (I had noticed that disabling network wake in System Preferences alone didn't do the trick.)

No problems for weeks. Then tonight, after 3 or 4 hours of either safe sleep or hibernation—not sure which state the MBP was in—there was another bridgeOS panic: lid closed, fans blazing, the machine super hot, instant reboot after lid-open. At least the MacBook is now properly "burnt-in". ;) But for good measure, I have now also set `ttyskeepawake` to 0.

I'll definitely wait for Mojave 10.14.1 before contacting Apple support, but this is not a nice situation.

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
You lucky guy! I had to order a 15’’/i9/560X/32GB/1TB/Silver because I’m not able to delay the purchase anymore (I delayed it as much as I could). I’ll receive it next Friday, and I hope the BridgeOS KPs won’t be triggered by my ways of using the Mac (although I’ll need to enable FileVault, and that really scares me, as FileVault is performed by the T2).
I'm rather scared than lucky in this occasion mate.

I live in a small country that does not have an Apple Store. Our best store is the Apple Premium seller.
The price for an MBP 15" 2,6, 16, 512 with their 3y "store care" (do not confuse that with APP+) is right at $5100US.
If I'd fly to Frankfurt I could purchase the same machine with 3y APP for 3650EUR - which is about $4300US.

I travel a lot across the EU and I am totally ready to spend my hard earned money on a MBP in Germany, but what if it ****'s the bed?
I can not afford my self to travel to Germany to return the machine or replace it nor can I accept the fact that such expensive computer will not perform excellent when taken out of the box.

My 2013 13" i7 MBPR is simply not up to spec for my current tasks and I really want to upgrade. The problem is Apple hasn't got anything reliable to offer, at least from my perspective. :(

Reactions: guillone
Jul 4, 2015
Paris

Thanks but I was pointing out that Finder extensions (also including FTP, etc) wouldn’t trigger these issues. So I was helping him eliminate ideas.

I have some of the same issues others report. Crackling and audio pops. Random kernel panic when waking the machine. So I’m not talking as someone with no experience. I have one High Sierra install, three Mojave installations and one is Vanilla.

The problems appear to be related to power management and electrical interference rather than Software or third party apps. Firmware updates should be able to fix it if not will have to replace the machine if new revisions are coming off the assembly line.

8SlaiN8

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2018
Guys, I can tell I have no bridge os errors anymore after supp 2 update, or maybe just 1 in a month, can't remember, and it was happened while lid was closed and just rebooted. Though, I have problems with usb audio interface, audio performance isn't stable over there.
All I can suggest is to make a clean install after all these updates, It did made difference reinstalling supp update 2. Of course it isn't adequate, but if someone needs his machine to work at least let's find some workarounds for it
p.s. I don't use Siri and FileVault
p.p.s. killing "coreaudiod" via terminal helps to solve audio issues temporarily

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
just decided to stop by and see if this was still going on...and yea, glad I returned my 2018 and rolled back to my clackety 2017 - which has become so much more stable since I moved my Linksys Router to the other side of the room, crazy but WIFI (strong signals) can cause TB3 connections to go bad. Back to BridgeOS...sorry it's still going on for you all!

Snik3rs

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
Poland
I bought my macbook two weeks ago and I have this same restarts when computer is sleeping. It was only 3-4 times in this time. I'll write the steps: I'm working on my computer and everything is ok. Close computer. Next morning opening computer and I can see loading system bar (computer turn on automatically) and next I need put my password. Normally I should open computer and touch my finger on TouchID and nothing else. In this three time I needed put my password and all apps starting like after restarting computer. Like I wrote it itsn't all time - it was only three or four times. When I'm using computer it's everything OK. This same was on High Sierra and Mojave last beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.