Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trillion

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2018
Israel
Worst decision of my life was buying this piece of junk.
If I am able to not brake it by throwing it through the window I should get a prize.
How can a company sell a products that doesn't work for a day and not fix or replace it ????

Reactions: guillone and g75d3

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
After installing supplemental update 2, is everybody getting BridgeOS KPs only when resuming from sleep/hibernation, or do you still suffer this kind of KPs in other situations unrelated to sleep? That's an important fact for me, because I almost never make my Macs sleep... I'm used to switch it off after each work session, so I'm guessing that if, after supplemental update 2, this only happens when sleeping, I might be safe against this issue.

Snik3rs

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
Poland
After installing supplemental update 2, is everybody getting BridgeOS KPs only when resuming from sleep/hibernation, or do you still suffer this kind of KPs in other situations unrelated to sleep? That's an important fact for me, because I almost never make my Macs sleep... I'm used to switch it off after each work session, so I'm guessing that if, after supplemental update 2, this only happens when sleeping, I might be safe against this issue.
I have this problem only after sleep/hibernate. Unfortunately probably I have a problem with a battery too. I think work time isn't very long.

Last edited:

Sonic

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
I've tried to get an idea of the issues you are having, from your posts in other threads. It looks like your problems are not just the BridgeOS KPs. If you find there's no possible replacement, then I'd try to diagnose if there's something wrong in your hardware, or if it's a matter of suffering SW/FW bugs because of installing software that might cause problems. If I were you, I'd wipe the hard disk completely, and I'd install MacOS from scratch. Then I'd try to install only the software that I'd really need, giving preference to applications that don't have a installer (installers shouldn't exist for third-party software in MacOS, IMHO). If you really need applications that have a installer, give preference to those that have a good reputation with their Mac support.

Btw, I see you mention DropBox in your posts. I'd try to get DropBox out of the game if you install MacOS from scratch. DropBox has a web interface that is not that hard to use (in fact I've avoided installing DropBox in all my Macs except in my employer iMac at my office desk, because I don't like the idea of third-party software running at boot time or at session start... I always try to avoid the clutter for which Windows is famous). I always use DropBox through the web interface, except in my employer iMac where they required us to install the software.

You also mention problems with Safari. Again, when installing from scratch, I'd avoid all kinds of extensions/add-ons/codecs/etc/etc, and leave Safari pure as water. Also, all kinds of social networks, chatting, and Internet-related software, I wouldn't install anything of that.

If after this, you are getting the same issues, I'd say you hardware has some defect... and it certainly doesn't look like the BridgeOS KPs that are discussed in this thread... you are facing something else.

thanks for the tips, and for looking into my issues.

i agree it's unrelated but i'm at a loss as the issues have been so diverse, so i've been posting in various threads in the hope that there may be some connection between them. i'm trying to tackle them one by one.

i'm getting total system freezes still. but none of my logs show anything related to bridge OS. it's usually spotlight / window server related, sometimes 'plugin container' related, which i guess is netflix? there's a lot of .awd files which i think might be related to apple mail in my diagnostics reports.

dropbox is likely the cause of the fan noise. it wasn't an issue on my 2012 unless doing very large syncs, but it ramps up all the time here. i can't stop using dropbox, as i have 500,000+ files on there and access all of them regularly. the web interface is in no way suitable for that task. that said, sometimes it ramps up with virtually nothing open, and like 6% cpu usage.

today i have finally isolated the audio shielding issue - the new usb-c -> displayport cable from 'uni' that i bought was causing it. it went away, as did my sometimes-30hz problems, by buying a different brand cable. hopefully it hasn't done any permanent damage.

i'm going to see if the freezes stop now i've got a new cable, in case that was the cause. if they return, i will go ahead and reinstall. if they persist, i will keep pushing for a replacement. the amount of downtime and lost work i've had already has outweighed any time savings this 6 year newer and faster machine provides

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
just decided to stop by and see if this was still going on...and yea, glad I returned my 2018 and rolled back to my clackety 2017 - which has become so much more stable since I moved my Linksys Router to the other side of the room, crazy but WIFI (strong signals) can cause TB3 connections to go bad. Back to BridgeOS...sorry it's still going on for you all!
Feels great huh? ;)
The last thing I want with a new laptop is another problem to worry about... I think I've kind of chilled out from upgrading now.

Reactions: radio893fm

joss.b

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
I have this problem only after sleep/hibernate. Unfortunately probably I have a problem with a battery too. I think work time isn't very long.
I had the same issues. In my case I believe FileVault encryption was the problem. And no, I did not disable FileVault, I just launched Terminal and executed a couple of pmset commands to disable anything remotely connected to potential wake scenarios, i.e. "acwake", "powernap", "womp", "tcpkeepawake", and "networkoverlseep", the latter three of which were all set to 1, weirdly so, because I had disabled "wake for network access" in System Preferences. (I assume that FindMyMac had initially overridden this.)

I can only assume, but I believe what happened was that, while the lid was still closed, my MBP woke from safe sleep (hibernation) probably due to some network stuff, and then, because "DestroyFVKeyOnStandby" is set to 1, i.e. because my FileVault keys are deleted from memory when the MBP goes into safe sleep, there was nobody around to input the FileVault password at wake from hibernation, and then macOS (or bridgeOS) for some reason didn't go back into hibernation, but stuck around, and when I finally opened the lid, there was (usually) a short fan spin burst, and then a hard reboot after bridgeOS panic.

Supplemental update 2 did nothing for this scenario, only the pm settings did. Except for the catastrophe last night, which was probably due to a different bug, I haven't had any problems with bridgeOS panics since tweaking the pm settings.

PS: I'm using the default safe sleep called "standby" with hibernation mode 25, not the alternate safe sleep that's called "autopoweroff".

Reactions: Tyler_Durden

singhshary

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
Got Macbook Pro 2018 13 Inch Model last month and already faced almost 9 KPs. I faced crashes while watching videos on Itunes/VLC. And when machines shuts down by a crash, it does not switch on immediately.
Had a call with apple care executive and he collected all the logs from the machine but its has been 2 weeks and they have no clue whats wrong with the machine. They say our engineers are not able to figure out the issue from the logs. Not sure what to do now. Do they replace machines in such cases? Can I go to the store and ask for a replacement.

Trillion

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2018
Israel
Got Macbook Pro 2018 13 Inch Model last month and already faced almost 9 KPs. I faced crashes while watching videos on Itunes/VLC. And when machines shuts down by a crash, it does not switch on immediately.
Had a call with apple care executive and he collected all the logs from the machine but its has been 2 weeks and they have no clue whats wrong with the machine. They say our engineers are not able to figure out the issue from the logs. Not sure what to do now. Do they replace machines in such cases? Can I go to the store and ask for a replacement.

please let us know, many of us live in countries that apple is extremely happy to sell its products (for prices up to twice from the US) but is unwilling to provide support for (referring you to third party companies that have very little knowledge or willingness to provide a decent solution).

Reactions: M.Rizk

Broslowski

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2018
singhshary vlc is 32 exclusive binary - mby something related to crashing? Also got several crashes using VLC. It is my fav player so far but i needed to ditch it cos of those problems. Switched to Elmedia Video played - can not be happier.

Regarding support - i believe all apple products, does not matter where you buy, got 1Y international warranty/support guaranteed anywhere in world. Or not?

Regarding KP - 10 days of uptime

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
Regarding support - i believe all apple products, does not matter where you buy, got 1Y international warranty/support guaranteed anywhere in world. Or not?

Right on mate!
My 13" MBPR was two years old when it gave up charging battery. I have dropped it off at Croatian service provider and they took good care of it, free of charge due to 3Y APP.

joss.b

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
IINA still has some small bugs, especially the video frame drops after dynamic switching from iGPU to dGPU, but otherwise it's fantastic. I still have VLC installed, but I haven't used it for months.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
i installed Mojave ..im on it for almost one hour
The speakers muting on the 2018 MBP is solved for ex
[doublepost=1537817902][/doublepost]
Anyone installed Mojave? did they update the firmware?
how i can find the firmware?

Broslowski

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2018
i will give IINA a try thanks for tip - yes mojave updates T2 Firmware
"Model Name: Apple T2 chip
Firmware Version: 16P375"

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Model Name: Apple T2 chip

Firmware Version: 15P6805

no speaker issues, no bridgeOS kernels. works like a champ

Reactions: eagerwu

Sonic

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
i'm going to see if the freezes stop now i've got a new cable, in case that was the cause.

i got another random systemwide beachball -> fan ramp -> auto logout losing all work again today. diagnostics report shows 'gpuRestart' - the game i'm writing in Unity wasn't doing anything unusual, and hadn't changed anything likely to trigger it

going to push for a replacement i think. sorry i won't put any further offtopic posts, i'll post a new thread if needed to discuss this specific issue. i couldn't be sure up till now that this wasn't related but it seems unlikely now

Mon Sep 24 19:15:31 2018

Event: GPU Reset
Date/Time: Mon Sep 24 19:15:31 2018
Application: Unity
Path: /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity
Tailspin: /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/gpuRestart2018-09-24-191531.tailspin
GPUSubmission Trace ID: 0
Version: 2017.4.8f1
OS Version: Mac OS X Version 10.13.6 (Build 17G2307)
Graphics Hardware: Radeon Pro 560X
Signature: 0

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
i never had issues, i updated it as soon as i got it last week. youtube seems to work fine?

yeah im still on HS.
yes, on youtube the audio firmware makes the speakers to makes a small pop up sound when surfing through a youtube clip

singhshary

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
singhshary vlc is 32 exclusive binary - mby something related to crashing? Also got several crashes using VLC. It is my fav player so far but i needed to ditch it cos of those problems. Switched to Elmedia Video played - can not be happier.

My first crash (one day after I bought my laptop) was on Itunes. So I dont think VLC is the culprit.
Also, I use VLC for IPTV. Is there an alternative for that?
Today I received an answer from the apple support. They have gone through the logs and suspect that Kernel Panics are because of iCloud, strange!!

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
My first crash (one day after I bought my laptop) was on Itunes. So I dont think VLC is the culprit.
Also, I use VLC for IPTV. Is there an alternative for that?
Today I received an answer from the apple support. They have gone through the logs and suspect that Kernel Panics are because of iCloud, strange!!
Whoa. That would explain why after a "clean" set up it might still happen. And different KP frequencies could be due to user data differences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.