Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zedsdeadbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
I think you are referring to the speaker hissing/cracking issue, which is more of a software bug. This coil whine is not really something a software patch can fix, since this is a vibration between the coils when a lot of electricity passes through. Purely hardware
My fault... I was referring to audio crackle, thought it was more clear... Sorry for the miscommunication...

Softh

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2019
MBP 13 2018 8ram, 256 SSD. I have a whiz coil when I turn on the laptop, and it gets louder when I run xcode, Photoshop and Android studio. The service center said that there are no problems.

Softh

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2019
I was denied a replacement, as the diagnosis revealed no problems. Looks like I'll just throw this damn laptop away.

kesha-antonov

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2019
I was denied a replacement, as the diagnosis revealed no problems. Looks like I'll just throw this damn laptop away.

Now I’m disappointed in Apple! So expensive machines and have this annoying defects!

I’m thinking of selling this MBP if they will deny replacement. Maybe to somebody who works in the office and not in quite places like me.

Softh

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2019
I work in a roll of silence. and I constantly load the disk subsystem. after 15 minutes I have a headache
Now I’m disappointed in Apple! So expensive machines and have this annoying defects!

I’m thinking of selling this MBP if they will deny replacement. Maybe to somebody who works in the office and not in quite places like me.

Meter

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2019
They denied it? How did they check this? I'm sure you mentioned this is only noticable when you are in a really quiet room. I'm going tomorrow, and if they will deny it I will make a scene because I paid a fortune for a premium machine that causes me headaches. It's not normal and they should not act like this is normal.

Meter

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2019
no coil whine 13" i5 / 16gb / 512gb
(none on 512gb mini i7 either)
Have you tested it with Blackmagic Speedtest and putting your ear next to year keyboard while sitting in a silent room?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Have you tested it with Blackmagic Speedtest and putting your ear next to year keyboard while sitting in a silent room?
Yep. Could hear the fridge from the other room and thought it was it, then closed the door :)

I'd recognised it if it had it; returned my CalDigit because of it.

My returned i9 didn't have it either

Reactions: kesha-antonov

kesha-antonov

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2019

BTW I’ve insisted on motherboard replacement. I think you too can do this. Many people here told that Apple admits the issue.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
pointless. It shouldn't make such horrendous noise

No that is the point.

If you can hear this noise in normal position while you are using the machine that is one thing. But, if you have to go to extreme measure to hear a noise that is an unreasonable standard.

Reactions: HenryDJP

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
No that is the point.

If you can hear this noise in normal position while you are using the machine that is one thing. But, if you have to go to extreme measure to hear a noise that is an unreasonable standard.

It's not supposed to be making that noise at all

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
It's not supposed to be making that noise at all

When you design circuits it sometimes hard to prevent some level of electromagnetic noises. You can isolate and shield components, but as things get smaller and closer together it gets harder to dampen without reducing performance or increasing weight for additional shielding or slow down clock speeds. EE documents and journals are full of discussions about this point and in the end there is no perfect solution, just a lot of compromises.

Last edited:
Reactions: HenryDJP

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
When you design circuits it sometimes hard to prevent some level of electromagnetic noises. You can isolate and shield components, but as things get smaller and closer together it gets harder to dampen without reducing performance or increasing weight for additional shielding or slow down clock speeds. EE documents and journals are full of discussions about this point and in the end there is no perfect solution, just a lot of compromises.
I get that.
What I don't get is why some are dead silent (and i mean dead silent) but some roar over the room.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I get that.
What I don't get is why some are dead silent (and i mean dead silent) but some roar over the room.

I think there are four factors at play.

First, what the user does. Some seem to have noise issues is related to file operations. If this true, someone that does a lot of large file operations like editing and producing videos they are going to have more file operations than someone that does more normal office work save the odd spreadsheet and documents.

Second, variations in tolerances of components. Components all have a spec that has some tolerance to the spec. If you get two components that are at the edge of the tolerance bands you may have more of an issue.

Third, there is variation by supplier. We have all heard stories that Samsung or LG MacBook displays are better than some other vendors display. The same thing happens with components and sub assemblies.

Four, not related to manufacturing, but is a factor, is sensitivity to high frequencies. Some people can hear coil whine more clearly than others. As we age we lose are abilities to hear noises. The loss starts in our teens and progresses until we die. There are even devices like Mosquito, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito, that target this ability to drive teens and young adults away from places.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I think there are four factors at play.

First, what the user does. Some seem to have noise issues is related to file operations. If this true, someone that does a lot of large file operations like editing and producing videos they are going to have more file operations than someone that does more normal office work save the odd spreadsheet and documents.

Second, variations in tolerances of components. Components all have a spec that has some tolerance to the spec. If you get two components that are at the edge of the tolerance bands you may have more of an issue.

Third, there is variation by supplier. We have all heard stories that Samsung or LG MacBook displays are better than some other vendors display. The same thing happens with components and sub assemblies.

Four, not related to manufacturing, but is a factor, is sensitivity to high frequencies. Some people can hear coil whine more clearly than others. As we age we lose are abilities to hear noises. The loss starts in our teens and progresses until we die. There are even devices like Mosquito, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito, that target this ability to drive teens and young adults away from places.

here's why:
1) doesn't matter what user does, my point was that the noise is not part of the design
2) The only relevant point here And it boils down to crappy QA/QC.
3) Yes but so far the only 2018 supplier seems to be Toshiba
4) Of course, i am aware of that, but this (together with 1) can be summed to:
5) some people simply don't care

Doesn't explain how some make the noise and some don't, also doesn't make this noise normal, since they didn't make such noise before.
The problem is the SSD is not replaceable. If it was a crappy nVME drive that you could swap, nobody would care.

kesha-antonov

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2019
here's why:
1) doesn't matter what user does, my point was that the noise is not part of the design
2) The only relevant point here And it boils down to crappy QA/QC.
3) Yes but so far the only 2018 supplier seems to be Toshiba
4) Of course, i am aware of that, but this (together with 1) can be summed to:
5) some people simply don't care

Doesn't explain how some make the noise and some don't, also doesn't make this noise normal, since they didn't make such noise before.
The problem is the SSD is not replaceable. If it was a crappy nVME drive that you could swap, nobody would care.
Agreed.

Meter

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2019
I
Is this your normal way of using your computer?:D
It occurs under heavy workload, which can be simulated with this program. The easiest way to see if the problem occurs. Can't ask people to create a 30 minute time line with 4K video, can I?

Softh

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2019
They denied it? How did they check this? I'm sure you mentioned this is only noticable when you are in a really quiet room. I'm going tomorrow, and if they will deny it I will make a scene because I paid a fortune for a premium machine that causes me headaches. It's not normal and they should not act like this is normal.
They said that my laptop may be weak to run Android Studio. Therefore, because of this, and noise. I told them that I had a headache - they ignored it. In my country there is no Apple store, so they offered to go on a trip and show it there in the apple store
[doublepost=1547332047][/doublepost]
BTW I’ve insisted on motherboard replacement. I think you too can do this. Many people here told that Apple admits the issue.
for this i need an official apple statement. Since the service center work goats

kesha-antonov

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2019
They said that my laptop may be weak to run Android Studio. Therefore, because of this, and noise. I told them that I had a headache - they ignored it. In my country there is no Apple store, so they offered to go on a trip and show it there in the apple store
[doublepost=1547332047][/doublepost]

for this i need an official apple statement. Since the service center work goats

Can you try another service center?

Try call Apple too. But yeah, they can direct you to the service again.

I’ve ran Android Studio on my MBP 2015 13”. I heard no noises.

Meter

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2019
Update: I've brought my Macbook to the Apple store yesterday. The genius told me he had never heard of this issue, so we went to a quiet room to listen to the problem. I had the feeling he thought I was exaggerating and did not really see the problem. He wanted to order the Logic Board first, but then he came back and asked to check it himself. I really hope they swap the logic board, I would be pretty disappointed if they say this is 'normal' sound which is not audible. Explained 20 times this is only audible when sitting in a silent room, which is my work place 80% of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.