Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
My 2016 MBP exhibits coil whine, but I have never returned it or bothered with it because it’s not loud enough nor does it actually interfere or limit my computer from doing the work I need done. I think people more and more just like to complain about things. Coil whine is a natural phenomenon and is present in desktops and laptop across all manufacturers, it doesn’t mean something is wrong or broken. I understand that some people are sensitive to the sound and that it’s bothersome to them. But In the end, there is nothing physically wrong with your laptop.

https://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/blog/capacitor-squeal-coil-whine-explained/

The culprit 99% of the time is actually coil whine. There is a huge amount of science behind this but in short, you will find in coil in something like a transformer or conductor. The purpose of these transformers/inductors is to smooth out power delivery and filter power irregularity. Time for a simple picture to help explain;

regulated.jpg

They more often than not work in tandem with capacitors and this is where the terms “capacitor squeal” and “coil whine” tend to get crossed over.

Simply put, the coils vibrate when current passes through them – it’s these minute vibrations that cause the whine. When a different amount of current passes through them they are vibrate at different speeds thus volume and pitch of this noise changes. Ever noticed that hum from a power substation station? It’s the same phenomenon. Every electronic device will suffer from coil whine to varying degrees and it is not an indication that the device is faulty, if anything; it’s an audible way of saying “I’m working”.

clockworktf2

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2018
Hey everyone, one of the original posters here. Does anyone who has the NEWER VEGA MODELS have coil whine/noise? I'm curious whether Apple has fixed this issue with this update. Also have they changed the SSD from Toshiba?

Thanks!

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Hey everyone, one of the original posters here. Does anyone who has the NEWER VEGA MODELS have coil whine/noise? I'm curious whether Apple has fixed this issue with this update. Also have they changed the SSD from Toshiba?

Thanks!

Since the the coil whine is from using Toshiba SSDs in the 2018 MacBook Pros, I doubt their will be a change in the VEGA models unless Apple started using Samsung SSDs again.

People who bought an updated VEGA MacBook Pro should be able to post what SSD model is in their computer.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
Since the the coil whine is from using Toshiba SSDs in the 2018 MacBook Pros, I doubt their will be a change in the VEGA models unless Apple started using Samsung SSDs again.

People who bought an updated VEGA MacBook Pro should be able to post what SSD model is in their computer.

I have a Vega 20, 2tb model, and hear no coil whine. Now my Dell XPS is obvious and I can hear it. But not my MBP. It's dead silent.

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 10.08.18 AM.png

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I have a Vega 20, 2tb model, and hear no coil whine. Now my Dell XPS is obvious and I can hear it. But not my MBP. It's dead silent.
fwiw, my pre-vega refunded i9 2TB 560X didn't have any coil whine either.

most complaints come from 256/512gb drives. but then again most of the configs probably have 256/512gb drives

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
fwiw, my pre-vega refunded i9 2TB 560X didn't have any coil whine either.

most complaints come from 256/512gb drives. but then again most of the configs probably have 256/512gb drives

Aren;t those models the non-BTO ones? Probably why it's more popular. I really think if stores stocked them all, they would sell more.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Aren;t those models the non-BTO ones? Probably why it's more popular. I really think if stores stocked them all, they would sell more.
yes, both 256 and 512 are non-bto.

I ordered both my Mini and 13" 512GB this time around (would cost too much to have them both with 1tb or 2tb drives), but both are BTO (mini i7 cpu and 10gbe, 13" because 16GB RAM). Wonder if any of them will exhibit coil whine since both are BTO.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
yes, both 256 and 512 are non-bto.

I ordered both my Mini and 13" 512GB this time around (would cost too much to have them both with 1tb or 2tb drives), but both are BTO (mini i7 cpu and 10gbe, 13" because 16GB RAM). Wonder if any of them will exhibit coil whine since both are BTO.

I assume this whine is happening on BTO ones as well right?

clockworktf2

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2018
"People who bought an updated VEGA MacBook Pro should be able to post what SSD model is in their computer."

Those sneaky bastards purposely changed the SSD model codes so we can't differentiate it anymore.

Can anyone else confirm though that it's only the 256 and 512GB SSDs which are plagued by coil whine, and the BTO 1TB+ ones aren't?

Reactions: kesha-antonov

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Bring me those who hasn't coil whine and i make them to have it/hear it
Also at office we have 2 with 1T ssd also it is heard, but again, all of these are on dead silent room tested under specific pressure for ssd and so on....if you hear that specific noise from normal distance i suggest to replace it

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
Bring me those who hasn't coil whine and i make them to have it/hear it
Also at office we have 2 with 1T ssd also it is heard, but again, all of these are on dead silent room tested under specific pressure for ssd and so on....if you hear that specific noise from normal distance i suggest to replace it

None here. :) Vega model though. And my ears hear whine very well. My Dell XPS 13 irritates the heck out of me.

If you know a way to duplicate it, let me know how and I can try.

Last edited:

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
None here. :) Vega model though. And my hears hear whine very well. My Dell XPS 13 irritates the heck out of me.

If you know a way to duplicate it, let me know how and I can try.
Task the SSD as much as possible and put the ear above the keyboard i guess

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Dell Xps almost all of them, 2016/2017 versions have a higher pitch sound of this coil whine
you can hear by putting the ear near the left speaker grill or on the back of the MBP also on the left side where the air flows and also hear the vents

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
Task the SSD as much as possible and put the ear above the keyboard i guess

I ran blackmagic and listened, couldn't hear anything.

Dell Xps almost all of them, 2016/2017 versions have a higher pitch sound of this coil whine
you can hear by putting the ear near the left speaker grill or on the back of the MBP also on the left side where the air flows and also hear the vents

I ran blackmagic and couldn't hear anything with my ear on the left side right about an inch above the speaker. Even tried to copy a large file, still nothing.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I ran blackmagic and listened, couldn't hear anything.

I ran blackmagic and couldn't hear anything with my ear on the left side right about an inch above the speaker. Even tried to copy a large file, still nothing.

I didn't notice anything on my 2TB/560X either. I actually RMA-d my CalDigit TS3+ because it made noises - I'm super picky about noises. I guess you are just lucky.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
I didn't notice anything on my 2TB/560X either. I actually RMA-d my CalDigit TS3+ because it made noises - I'm super picky about noises. I guess you are just lucky.

Oh, I am picky too but nothing makes a noise except my NAS on my desk. But I expect that from it.

Reactions: Ploki

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
When I got my 2.2/2TB couple of moths ago it sounded initially like there is a mechanical HDD head seeking tracks, following the disk activity. I remember looking at it and questioning the reality I live in. And it was loud. It went away on its own after a day or two and now it is dead silent.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
When I got my 2.2/2TB couple of moths ago it sounded initially like there is a mechanical HDD head seeking tracks, following the disk activity. I remember looking at it and questioning the reality I live in. And it was loud. It went away on its own after a day or two and now it is dead silent.
that makes me think that coils could be hammered in... with a really small hammer.

wierd. this is the exact sound my CalDigit dock was making. except it had no ssd

clockworktf2

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2018
That would be amazing. I really need to know whether the new Vega MBP has switched to a different SSD. Where did you purchase if you don't mind? I'm in Toronto.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
That would be amazing. I really need to know whether the new Vega MBP has switched to a different SSD. Where did you purchase if you don't mind? I'm in Toronto.

Well, scratch that idea of me pulling the cover off. Couldn't get it off. I had all the screws out, but no suction cup to help move it down. I will see about ordering a kit. Was bummed. Definitely not like the 2015 cover.

Got it directly from Apple.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Well, scratch that idea of me pulling the cover off. Couldn't get it off. I had all the screws out, but no suction cup to help move it down. I will see about ordering a kit. Was bummed. Definitely not like the 2015 cover.

Got it directly from Apple.
Really :eek: ? but there's no glue

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
Really :eek: ? but there's no glue

Yeah, sucker was a pain. I couldn't get it to move and I didn't want to mark up the laptop. I don't have any strong enough plastic tools. I'll try one more time to see if I can get it off.
[doublepost=1544302209][/doublepost]

Got it off. Was a pain. I decided I didn't want to uncover the black tape over the SSDs. That is there for a reason and I'm sure it has to do with the warranty to see if it was tampered with. I didn't want to do that on my $5k laptop. I'll let someone else do that like a youtuber that has a disposable income. lol :( But here are some really good pictures of the inside.

%XmD15jWR1yc2aOlRj0sMg.jpg

Je0qxPV8TD+%8X9ndgh+cw.jpg

Last edited:

scinetic

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2018
Eindhoven, Netherlands
Hi guys, I bought my macbook pro 2018 1 month ago and I've been struggling to return it ever since. The first time Apple refused to acknowledge that there was a problem. Then I took it home and filmed the coil whine so there it is the video:

After that I sent it to Apple for the 2nd time. Now they are apparently changing the motherboard in an attempt to fix the problem. I doubt that it is going to work but we will see..

P.S. I posted the same thing in this reddit thread about the coil whine in MBP 2018 - https://www.reddit.com/r/macbook/comments/8zrjqx/noticing_coil_whine_on_2018_macbook_pro_15/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.