Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
I really wish I hadn't read this thread. I didn't notice it, but I read this, and mine does the same and now I cannot unhear it. I swear it getting louder, but then that's just my sensitivity to irritating noises.

So I now cannot unhear and I have a problem that I never knew I had.

This is the reason I don't put grey test screens up on my OLED TV, because I don't want to know about issues I don't know I have.

Dammit!

I managed to fix mine. I bought a Razer Core X and installed a Radeon RX Vega 64 and now I cannot even hear myself think, let alone any coil whine.

Simple.

Maetras

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
Hello, I’ve got a 2018 13” MacBook Pro base model and I’m hearing a very high pitched noise coming from the left side of the keyboard. It is very quiet but can be heard at a normal distance from the laptop but putting my head closer to keyboard I can hear it much better. Is it coil whine? It’s not a scratching noise like the sound a hdd makes (although I do have that as well) but rather a very high pitched squealing noise. Maybe it’s because I’m more supceptible to these noises but it’s definitely there. It happens when I’m running cinebench or other benchmarks and it is most apparent when using iMovie to edit a 2 hour movie. Also, if I click play I hear a noise but that disappears when I click pause. At idle it is silent.

Is this normal? And what component does it come from? I’m past the 14 day window so not if I can replace for a brand new one and I’m unsure if I want to do so because everything else is pretty much close to perfect (apart from a small dent on the edge of the trackpad from the beginning).

PS I have tried to record the noise with my phone but the mic doesn’t pick it up. It is really quite high pitched. It’s not a constant noise as well it fluctuates a bit like coil whine.

PPS However when exporting a video on iMovie the high pitched noise seems to be coming from the right side of the keyboard. I can’t tell for sure though since it’s harder to pinpoint over the noise of the fans.

Last edited:

Tommylein

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2018
Augsburg, Germany
Your description sounds exactly like the Coil Whine I had with my MacBook Pro 15" 2018.
Btw... when I returned mine in the Apple Store the Genius told me, the 2018 MacBook Pros are not well-known for this issue and he was wondering about my case.

Don´t know if it´s the truth or if they have so say that ...

Last edited:

Maetras

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
Your description sounds exactly like the Coil Whine I had with my MacBook Pro 15" 2018.
Btw... when I returned mine in the Apple Store the Genius told me, the 2018 MacBook Pros are not well-known for this issue and he was wondering about my case.

Don´t know if it´s the truth or if they have so say that ...

Does your replacement have coil whine?

mscaff

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2018
Anyone having any luck at all with replacements? I’ve waited a month and I’m considering trying again.

Cheers!

Tommylein

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2018
Augsburg, Germany
I ´m gonna make an another attempt next week, maybe on monday... I will tell you my opinion about it. But I guess I will keep it anyway, because I need really a decent PC and there are no alternatives for me, due to I hate Windows

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
ok, now i had a new one, after i returned 3 weeks ago my first 2018 MBP that had sound pop up noise , and some noise when i was hitting the ssd to the max through copy large files or blackmagic disk...the reason for return was more for that sound pop up...because i was scared not to blow my speakers...
Again, i had this one for 4 hours, and no more speaker pop up noise and no ssd noise...(I DIDNT MADE THE SU2)
im scared to do it :)))
So, there are units with no issues at all it seems..

1 question, how i can search if my unit has the SU1 at least since in the app store only the SU2 appear ?

Last edited:
Reactions: kesha-antonov

Solsoi

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
Are the people who don't hear it just deaf to it?

Some people suggested that your age and ear sensitivity influence how much you will be bothered by coil whine.

Which frequencies resemble the coil whine in the MBP 2018? I cannot hear it in mine.

I suggest listening to this audio on Youtube that goes over the audible frequencies. You can skip to 10,000Hz. Then please notice where the sound levels off and where it drops off completely.

My result:
The sound levels off at 12,000Hz and stops somewhere in the 13,000's.
I do not hear the coil whine in my MBP 2018

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Dell has issues with coil whine ;)

They all do. I believe the XPS had a bunch of videos on it. I remember exchanging a 2013 iMac 2-3x and each one had coil whine coming from the port area. Drove me crazy. Finally swapped it for a 2012 refurb and it was silent. Saved about $1k so can't complain!
[doublepost=1537739995][/doublepost]
Are the people who don't hear it just deaf to it?

Some people suggested that your age and ear sensitivity influence how much you will be bothered by coil whine.

Which frequencies resemble the coil whine in the MBP 2018? I cannot hear it in mine.

I suggest listening to this audio on Youtube that goes over the audible frequencies. You can skip to 10,000Hz. Then please notice where the sound levels off and where it drops off completely.

My result:
The sound levels off at 12,000Hz and stops somewhere in the 13,000's.
I do not hear the coil whine in my MBP 2018

Don't know if I'm more mad at you for posting this, or at myself for listening to it. :p

callesw

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
So, I own a 2016 ntb and it is quiet. I bough a 2018 and it is much better except for a weird noise. There was a loud noise around the top left side of case around the letter Q. It sounded like fan that had something stuck on it. After a while it went away and was only there after the machine had been off or sleep for a few hours (basically cold start-up). It has been returned. Apple needs to address issues especially when customers are paying so much $

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
My 2017 nTB 13inch staring to have this coil whine after I updated to Mojave. I was still within my 14 day and decided to return it. I'll try my luck with another one to see if the same issue persists.

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011
I have my 2018 15 inch i7 2.6GHz, 512GB coming soon. What am I on the lookout for here?

Also, has this been resolved with newer manufactured dates?

mscaff

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2018
I have my 2018 15 inch i7 2.6GHz, 512GB coming soon. What am I on the lookout for here?

Also, has this been resolved with newer manufactured dates?

Hi!

So if you put your ear up against the left side of keyboard whilst doing anything disk intensive (you can run the BlackMagic Speed test to replicate, App Store) you will hear a slight buzzing.

I would be very happy if they’ve fixed this....

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Mine was custom built back in August (2.2 i7 - 1 tb SSD) and I just tried that black magic disk thingie and my laptop is quiet. I'm 39, have above average hearing for my age, but know I can't hear like someone 16 years old. Who knows. Maybe 16 year old me could have heard the coil whine.

mscaff

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2018

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
yes its the SSD...that makes that noise...you can go at any service to take your bottom out and you clearly hear it...but this occurs only when the ssd is pushed to the max...installing big apps (macOS installing easiest test), or black magic disk etc
Also can be seen in this pic too...around left side of your laptop
Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 09.52.37.png

buran-energia

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2017
Does this issue affect the 13 inch 2018? One of the main reasons I buy the 13 inch is because it is silent.

I have an USB-C hub that has coil whine when I plug the mbp charger into its power delivery port. It's annoying in a quiet room and and would be a deal breaker if the laptop had it.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Does this issue affect the 13 inch 2018? One of the main reasons I buy the 13 inch is because it is silent.

I have an USB-C hub that has coil whine when I plug the mbp charger into its power delivery port. It's annoying in a quiet room and and would be a deal breaker if the laptop had it.
Of course, the ssd, but don't get this wrong, it is a silent machine, you have to be in a very quiet environment to hear this, and use the ssd to the max

mscaff

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2018
So I spoke to Apple support today and was confirmed by a senior that this issue was apparent in the initial first batches of the 2018 series, unsure how many were effected but was assured the issue is no longer apparent and the problem stock has been cycled out with new stock without the issue.

I will purchase a MBP 2018 tomorrow after work and see how I go.

cstm

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
So I spoke to Apple support today and was confirmed by a senior that this issue was apparent in the initial first batches of the 2018 series, unsure how many were effected but was assured the issue is no longer apparent and the problem stock has been cycled out with new stock without the issue.

I will purchase a MBP 2018 tomorrow after work and see how I go.
Just got mine that I ordered last week. BTO 2.9/32/560x/1tb. I have coil whine or at least sound from ssd. It isn't too loud, my 2012 256 rmbp had it as well.

EDIT: I have to say that the sound isn't really a whine though, but there is sound from the SSD that you can hear in a quiet room.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.