Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clockworktf2

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2018
^User above isolated the problem to be probably caused by the new Toshiba SSD in this year's MacBook Pros. Says Apple has sent an RTA to their engineers in Cupertino.

Definitely makes sense to me, I heard the exact same noise out of the Dell XPS 15 and HP Spectre x360 15 laptops I had which both carried Toshiba PCIe SSDs.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
It is happening only under blackmagic test?
[doublepost=1532524630][/doublepost]When you try to copy large files for ex do you hear?

Oreotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
I think it has something to do with the SSD, as you can see in this video:
I think this video is as important as Dave2D's thermal throttle one. These laptops are kind of defective.
Is it possible to have a software fix for this? like what Apple did for thermal throttling?
If it's a hardware issue, I doubt it that Apple's going to have a recall.

Last edited:
Reactions: pubmsu

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
User above isolated the problem to be probably caused by the new Toshiba SSD in this year's MacBook Pros.
This year's macbooks use an Apple designed SSD controller (integrated into the T2 chip.) The flash memory devices might be manufactured by Toshiba though.

I heard the exact same noise out of the Dell XPS 15 and HP Spectre x360 15 laptops I had which both carried Toshiba PCIe SSDs.
Selection bias, I'm inclined to say. As mentioned, 2018 MBPs don't actually have Toshiba SSDs, and even if they did there's many more sources of coil whine than Toshiba SSDs.

clockworktf2

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2018
This year's macbooks use an Apple designed SSD controller (integrated into the T2 chip.) The flash memory devices might be manufactured by Toshiba though.

Selection bias, I'm inclined to say. As mentioned, 2018 MBPs don't actually have Toshiba SSDs, and even if they did there's many more sources of coil whine than Toshiba SSDs.

...Except they do have Toshiba made SSDs, so I don't know what you're talking about. Apparently last year's were Sandisk, this year's toshiba. Check the ifixit teardown.

nicnorth

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018
Except they totally don't. Apple moved to an integrated SSD controller this year (T2 chip, as mentioned.) It's not made by Toshiba, it's made by Apple.
The secure-controller (Apple T2) is indeed made by Apple, at least designed. But the SSD itself is made by Toshiba (TSB 3226 J86404 TWNA1)

Those Toshiba SSD's are known for making this exact sound, as seen here:

It is mind boggling to me why Apple would use such already known flawed SSD's.

iFixit source:https://de.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Touch+Bar+2018+Teardown/111384

Uhu

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
I can indeed confirm that the 2018 15" MacBook Pro with 512 GB SSD does make this sound. You can hear it if you put your ear next to the Touch Bar.

Uhu

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
Mine doesn't
Run Blackmagic Diskbenchmark.
It only happens under heavy load and it is so barely audible that I will just go with it (and I am quite noise sensitive)

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Run Blackmagic Diskbenchmark.
It only happens under heavy load and it is so barely audible that I will just go with it (and I am quite noise sensitive)
Nope, I let it run for a bit and still whisper quiet

nicnorth

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018
I didn't see mention of any flaw in your post. What seems to be the flaw to which you refer?
Making disturbing noise is a flaw in my opinion. Especially if your competitors make equal products without that noise.
[doublepost=1532698977][/doublepost]
Nope, I let it run for a bit and still whisper quiet
May I ask how old you are?
My Dad can't hear it either but I can, on the same MacBook at the same time.

And which CPU do you have? the 2.2 one?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Older then dirt :p

I, in all seriousness I can hear the faint noises, and so I don't think in this case its my lack of hearing acuity but rather my MBP is not making that sound

nicnorth

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018
I also ran the Blackmagic test a few times. Didn't hear anything. I also have the 2018 15" with base model i7 as maflynn.

@nicnorth I'm 25 but I consider my ears still pretty decent ;)
I also ran the Blackmagic test a few times. Didn't hear anything. I also have the 2018 15" with base model i7 as maflynn.

@nicnorth I'm 25 but I consider my ears still pretty decent ;)
Alright good to know. I've read that other users have the base 15" aswell but still hear the noise, but I'll give it a try and exchange my 2.6Ghz for a 2.2Ghz.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Older then dirt :p

I, in all seriousness I can hear the faint noises, and so I don't think in this case its my lack of hearing acuity but rather my MBP is not making that sound

Unless you get tested there really is no way to know about one's hearing. Most of us lose the ability to perceive higher frequencies first presbyacusis (https://biology.stackexchange.com/questions/27822/why-do-adults-lose-hearing-at-high-frequencies, and coil whine is often at higher frequencies. This loss is part of regular aging like losing the ability to focus on close objects, presbyopia.

The good thing is to go through these changes is you have to be alive, which is much better than the alternative.

Last edited:

sk8r1230

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana
Same problem here. Coil whine on indexing and speed test. Left side of keyboard near speaker grill. 15in 1tb.

clockworktf2

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2018
Making disturbing noise is a flaw in my opinion. Especially if your competitors make equal products without that noise.
[doublepost=1532698977][/doublepost]
My Dad can't hear it either but I can, on the same MacBook at the same time.

And which CPU do you have? the 2.2 one?

Can anyone recommend any other laptop lines (15 inch) that do not get complaints about coil whine? I may have to switch. I can't find any for the LG Gram 15.

Also, can those who do not hear any coil whine (even when pressing their ears to the keyboard), check what the model code for their SSD is in system report?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.