Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Can anyone recommend any other laptop lines (15 inch) that do not get complaints about coil whine? I may have to switch. I can't find any for the LG Gram 15.

Also, can those who do not hear any coil whine (even when pressing their ears to the keyboard), check what the model code for their SSD is in system report?

I have the 15" 2.6GHz model and the SSD is: APPLE SSD AP0512M
I don't hear any coil whine, but I'm old and haven't stressed the computer to the point that it is hot, so no guarantee that it's not there.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I can indeed confirm that the 2018 15" MacBook Pro with 512 GB SSD does make this sound. You can hear it if you put your ear next to the Touch Bar.

Can you hear it at normal usage distance? That is, laptop on desk, sitting in a chair in front of the system?

sk8r1230

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana
heard while sitting at kitchen table setting up the machine. noticed when programs where installing. quiet kitchen but noticed from normal distance away. thats what made me put my ear to the machine to pin point the sound.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have the 15" 2.6GHz model and the SSD is: APPLE SSD AP0512M
I don't hear any coil whine, but I'm old and haven't stressed the computer to the point that it is hot, so no guarantee that it's not there.

That is what I am looking at, so that is great news.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Yes but no one said the T2 chip was made by Toshiba, they said the SSD was...
The SSD is controller + flash devices. Only the flash devices are made by Toshiba.

Let's call things by proper names. If you have Goodyear tires on your car, is it a Goodyear car? No. It's a...whatever it is you drive. Same thing here.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
The SSD is controller + flash devices. Only the flash devices are made by Toshiba.

Let's call things by proper names. If you have Goodyear tires on your car, is it a Goodyear car? No. It's a...whatever it is you drive. Same thing here.

If I have goodyear tires on my Ferrari, and a car is made of different parts including the tire, the car is still a Ferrari no? According to you I must refer it as the Ferrari chassis plus Goodyear tires!

Bad analogy you made. It’s a Toshiba SSD with an Apple designed controller, not an Apple SSD/controller with a Toshiba flash drive.

Anyhow you are wasting your time here.

Last edited:

Uhu

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
Can you hear it at normal usage distance? That is, laptop on desk, sitting in a chair in front of the system?
Not at all. Only under 2,5 Go/s writes and reads. I really don’t mind it. Would I prefer if it wasn’t there: yes. But I won’t bother with it anymore. It sounds like old HDDs but VERY silent.

Reactions: jerryk

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
What about the new 13” TB? Is the coil whine limited to the 15” models?

No idea.

Having used the XPS 9360 extensively, I think coil whine only affects very sensitive/perfectionist people. It’s one of those things you notice if you want to notice it in my opinion.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can anyone recommend any other laptop lines (15 inch) that do not get complaints about coil whine? I may have to switch. I can't find any for the LG Gram 15.

Also, can those who do not hear any coil whine (even when pressing their ears to the keyboard), check what the model code for their SSD is in system report?
As noted, I do not have any coil whine on my 2.2 15" MBP.

sk8r1230

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana
Just returned mine. I’ll have to reorder my custom built 15in again.

Coil whine is not acceptable at any price point. It’s sad how many people I see settling for things that are less then perfect especially at $3k+

Reactions: kesha-antonov

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
No idea.

Having used the XPS 9360 extensively, I think coil whine only affects very sensitive/perfectionist people. It’s one of those things you notice if you want to notice it in my opinion.
The PSU to my PS4 has a VERY audible coil whine when the PS4 is turned off (not so much when on or in standby). It's really annoying and I would most likely be really bothered if my new 13" had it. If this is related to the SSD and not the processor I guess there is a risk all of them have the coil whine?

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
The PSU to my PS4 has a VERY audible coil whine when the PS4 is turned off (not so much when on or in standby). It's really annoying and I would most likely be really bothered if my new 13" had it. If this is related to the SSD and not the processor I guess there is a risk all of them have the coil whine?

I guess how loud of it will be a factor - no idea how loud it is in MacBooks (and videos of them can be deceptive). I find the XPS ones to be pretty quiet, but then someone else might say it’s like screaming.

I’ve seen people post that when they put their heads against their laptops they can hear the coil whine and decide it’s unacceptable and want to RMA (yes I didn’t get it either) - so everyone’s different I guess.

clockworktf2

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2018
Just returned mine. I’ll have to reorder my custom built 15in again.

Coil whine is not acceptable at any price point. It’s sad how many people I see settling for things that are less then perfect especially at $3k+

Returned for what, the 2017 model? That's what I'm gonna do. There have been absolutely no complaints for the 2017 right? A few for 2016.

sk8r1230

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana
Returned for what, the 2017 model? That's what I'm gonna do. There have been absolutely no complaints for the 2017 right? A few for 2016.

Absolutely not. Tech expires fast enough. No way I’m paying for last years tech and inheriting known potential keyboard issues. I’m returning for an 18 and giving Apple another shot.

Ocias

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2018
Sydney, Australia
The first machine I picked up had pretty irritating coil whine from SSD(?), I replaced it because of unrelated audio issues, and now the second one has a new awful whine from the Radeon GPU as well.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
Nope. I hearing noting on my 13 inch 2017. This is the first time I'm hearing Macbook pros are experiencing coil whine. Window's machines are plagued with them.

Oreotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
Nope. I hearing noting on my 13 inch 2017. This is the first time I'm hearing Macbook pros are experiencing coil whine. Window's machines are plagued with them.
Exactly! It's my first time, too. I have had several windows laptops and ALL of them have/had coil whine.
My 2016 13'' is silent, no coil whine at all under any circumstances, copying and pasting, VM, bootcamp, gaming, etc. I can only hear the fan, not the whine.

Zeusus

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
Calgary, Canada
15 i7 2.6 here. 1 TB drive - I have it and can clearly hear it. It sounds like the old hard drives, or a really poorly encoded MP3 file with whirling and whipping. It is quietish, but noticeable. I don't think it is the processor, but the ssd. Not sure what I'm going to do yet...
32 years here.

Zeusus

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
Calgary, Canada
15 i7 2.6 here. 1 TB drive - I have it and can clearly hear it. It sounds like the old hard drives, or a really poorly encoded MP3 file with whirling and whipping. It is quietish, but noticeable. I don't think it is the processor, but the ssd. Not sure what I'm going to do yet...
32 years here.

I think I am going to exchange it to see if the next does it. It is really annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.