Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GerritB

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2018
i9,32gb and 1tb here. Didn't have coil whine when I got it (or I didn't notice it) but today it started/became noticeable at normal distance, so I'm going for a refund. It seems to come from the left fan. Will be watching threads like this to see if and when these problems no longer occur before I'll rebuy one.

Reactions: kesha-antonov

buran-energia

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2017
In my older mbp, I think it's related to SSD, because I mostly hear it during SSD benchmarks and I think during processes with heavy SSD usage like OSX setups.

zoom25

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Is this related to the particular SSD type and/or CPU? I was thinking of getting the 15 inch base model 2.2 i7. I have been contemplating 256 GB vs. 512 GB. Is this issue more likely at a particular size? Thanks.

mj2k18

Suspended
Jun 7, 2018
Definitely not normal, but I am tired of reinstalling everything again and again. I am going to return it.
I guess something is wrong with the design or the assembly line, and hopefully Apple will fix it in the next month or two. And I'll buy again.

You've never heard of a time machine backup? Why not make a backup before returning it then restore again in a couple clicks? I really don't get some of you. It's like you purposely make things more difficult for yourself and don't use the ideal tools, so you can feign more frustration at Apple.

Oreotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
You've never heard of a time machine backup? Why not make a backup before returning it then restore again in a couple clicks? I really don't get some of you. It's like you purposely make things more difficult for yourself and don't use the ideal tools, so you can feign more frustration at Apple.

Well it might be a good idea, but I don't use time machine backup and I don't have a dedicated external drive for it. And it's your personal experience that time machine is an ideal tool, for me buying a new backup device and connecting it to the laptop physically or via wifi would be more frustrating. And the key problem here is not about backup or restoring, it's MBPs with coil whine. Without coil whine, there will be no need for frequent reinstalling.

And I'm not purposely doing anything to anybody or Apple. It's just a customer's personal experience and feeling.
[doublepost=1532987797][/doublepost]
Wow talk about the probability. 5 devices with the same issue?
Yes 6 machines all with coil whine.
We all know if you flip a coin 6 times and the probability for getting 6 tails is 0.5^ 6 = 1.56%. Now I have a question: what's the probability that the coin has no head side? can we actually calculate that based on the 6 flips?

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Has anyone successfully exchanged for one that doesn’t make the coil whine?

I think, just like the XPS line of laptops, some people state their machines don't have coil whine - which could be that

a) It actually doesn't have it
b) It has it but they don't notice it
c) It has it but it isn't being activated (yet) due to their use

I think a) is unlikely as coil whine is usually not a defect but rather a byproduct of how the system has been assembled (logic board, components etc). Some have mentioned that the culprit is the Toshiba SSD which apparently was problematic on other laptops also.

What I will say is buy it and if you don't notice it, or don't mind it, you're good to go. If however it seems to be problematic, you may want to look at another laptop altogether (or live with it) rather than cycling through returns/repurchase.

Reactions: Solsoi and jerryk

Zeusus

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Good point. I’ve only returned the original unit I had, but it was because it was loud enough that I actually thought the HDD in my time capsule, which is in the same room, was dying. Maybe I’ll try again.

Garage Battle

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Orlando, FL
15 i7 2.6 here. 1 TB drive - I have it and can clearly hear it. It sounds like the old hard drives, or a really poorly encoded MP3 file with whirling and whipping. It is quietish, but noticeable. I don't think it is the processor, but the ssd. Not sure what I'm going to do yet...
32 years here.

Hey gang I wanted to chime in on this.

Around December I picked up a HP Spectre X360 laptop as a temp PC for a job I needed to do. The X360 had an I7-8550u. It made ticking sounds - kind of like a mechanical hard drive - tiny electrical ticks. Brand new PC. Returned it not long after.

I think this problem is related to Intels 8th gen processors - and would explain why my 2016 13" w/i5-6360u has never made a single sound.

sk8r1230

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana
replacement unit has the sound as well. need to get home from work with it to see how bad it is in a quiet room.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
the ones that are having this issue..did you get your macbook pro at best buy? Been reading about people with so many different issues would be interested to know where these affected macbooks are coming from..Im getting mine from best buy so that's why Im asking :)

Zigman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
replacement unit has the sound as well. need to get home from work with it to see how bad it is in a quiet room.

Pretty sure almost all of them have it, though some more pronounced than others. I had the issue on multiple 2016 15" MacBook Pros and have it occur even louder on the newly replaced motherboard that I just received back from Apple.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
In my older mbp, I think it's related to SSD, because I mostly hear it during SSD benchmarks and I think during processes with heavy SSD usage like OSX setups.

I have the same issue in both my late 2013 15" with 1T Samsung SSD and my nMP with 256 Samsung SSD. Coil whine when there is heavy SSD access. I've learned to live with it it over the years.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Why don't you keep on exchanging them until you get one "that's right" ....?

C'mon.... go for a record !!!! ;)

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
Hey gang I wanted to chime in on this.

Around December I picked up a HP Spectre X360 laptop as a temp PC for a job I needed to do. The X360 had an I7-8550u. It made ticking sounds - kind of like a mechanical hard drive - tiny electrical ticks. Brand new PC. Returned it not long after.

I think this problem is related to Intels 8th gen processors - and would explain why my 2016 13" w/i5-6360u has never made a single sound.
I agree. The 7th/8 gen intel cpu are notorious for coil whine.

Oreotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
OP:

Why don't you keep on exchanging them until you get one "that's right" ....?

C'mon.... go for a record !!!! ;)

Update: Another 2 confirmed have coil whine, both 2.6ghz, 16g ram and 512 ssd. One silver and the other space grey.

So far I have tried 8 (or 9?) machines, all of them are the same model (i7 2.6ghz, 16g ram, 512ssd and 560x), and ALL have coil whine, it's 100%.

Maybe the next batch will solve the problem and I will keep trying from time to time.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Update: Another 2 confirmed have coil whine, both 2.6ghz, 16g ram and 512 ssd. One silver and the other space grey.

So far I have tried 8 (or 9?) machines, all of them are the same model (i7 2.6ghz, 16g ram, 512ssd and 560x), and ALL have coil whine, it's 100%.

Maybe the next batch will solve the problem and I will keep trying from time to time.

If they all have it, take it as a hint. I have the model listed above and all I hear is silence.

Reactions: bevsb2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.