Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Actually that rear wing design is totally different to the now old cars. Interesting, the front wing too has big side winglets.

Reactions: pachyderm

Grey66

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2018
London
Be really interesting to see if cars are able to follow closely as expected/predicted, with more downforce coming from under the cars than from the wings

F1's estimations are that the 2021 cars lost 35 per cent of their downforce within three car lengths of the car in front and almost 50 per cent in a single car length. You may have heard the words 'dirty air'.

The new cars? They claim to drop those numbers to just four and 18 per cent respectively.

Taken from the good write up here:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Be really interesting to see if cars are able to follow closely as expected/predicted, with more downforce coming from under the cars than from the wings

F1's estimations are that the 2021 cars lost 35 per cent of their downforce within three car lengths of the car in front and almost 50 per cent in a single car length. You may have heard the words 'dirty air'.

The new cars? They claim to drop those numbers to just four and 18 per cent respectively.

Taken from the good write up here:

Correct. We will have to see how it plays out. If the new rear wings work as the testing indicates it could lead to some exciting racing on the very fast sweeping curves.

However, F1 and the FIA still need to get their heads out of their a** first.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I see my least favourite commentator Martin Brundle has changed his opinion on Abu Dhabi in light of actually listening to Red Bulls radio pressure on Michael Masi in the closing stages. This isn’t going away anytime soon and will be hanging over this season until it is addressed. No amount of curvy car launches are going to validate last seasons result and it’s good to see the pressure hasn’t eased. Scrapping the single race director is a start, but I still think Masi has lost all integrity and needs to go ASAP.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
RB18

red-bull-racing-rb18-1.jpg

wmThcpH.png

hJ0yRSW.png

OSm5F4g.png

7bgURXa.png

QxrE88h.png

u8qdrEW.png

• Wow
Reactions: Pezimak

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
One of the reports I read stated that the car displayed yesterday by Red Bull was only their early mock-up and not at all what the actual car will be once the season begins.

I suppose that the teams are going to keep their design approaches as secret as possible until the last minute. Surely there are going to be different approaches to the new rules and we won't know until the first track sessions are run how each team is looking.

I'm anxious for the new season to get started.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
One of the reports I read stated that the car displayed yesterday by Red Bull was only their early mock-up and not at all what the actual car will be once the season begins.

I suppose that the teams are going to keep their design approaches as secret as possible until the last minute. Surely there are going to be different approaches to the new rules and we won't know until the first track sessions are run how each team is looking.

I've heard that as well.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
AMR22

wCTLpPP.png

TZ4Ky6u.png
ekEZ075.png
xszLSZd.png
Jzbhxw9.png
KkaX2Xp.png
PoRxiSQ.png

Or is it this one..???

TNSBZ1u.png
4ToEUr5.png

g5j80mW.png

Oof9u6B.png

Yea, this is supposed to be the 'real' car for Aston Martin, unlike what Red Bull and Haas have shown.

The headline on ESPN is 'Aston Martin launches first genuine 2022 F1 car'.

Looks great, but I'm not familiar enough with the details of all of the changes to draw any conclusions. Just glad to see the new season getting closer each day!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I can’t ever remember a launch car being the same car that turns up at the first race. No team reveals their design/aero secrets this early for the worlds cameras. I’m a bit surprised that story is getting so many shocked reactions across social media too if I’m honest.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I see my least favourite commentator Martin Brundle has changed his opinion on Abu Dhabi in light of actually listening to Red Bulls radio pressure on Michael Masi in the closing stages. This isn’t going away anytime soon and will be hanging over this season until it is addressed. No amount of curvy car launches are going to validate last seasons result and it’s good to see the pressure hasn’t eased. Scrapping the single race director is a start, but I still think Masi has lost all integrity and needs to go ASAP.

I‘m afraid it’s not going to change either. I don’t see Masi going now, and all the drama with Lewis will be over soon. It’s clear now he was never seriously going to retire in 2022. The FIA investigation is already over just waiting to be released what, 2 days before the start? Does anyone seriously believe they are not doing this aiming directly at Lewis? The FIA is dysfunctional. Period.

If things were serious it would be out by now.

As for Martin Bumble I’m always thankful for the Mute Button on the remote. Johnathan Palmer is the only voice of logic on Sky.

Expect 2022 to be like 2021 from a regulatory standpoint. Anyone who didn’t see this coming when a Media Company took over F1 didn’t do their homework. Lets just hope the new rear wing allows some exciting racing on the fast sweepers.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

RB do keep their cars under wrap till testing as it can't be hidden then lol.
Looks damn fine if you ask me.
I look forward to seeing it on the front row ????

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I‘m afraid it’s not going to change either. I don’t see Masi going now, and all the drama with Lewis will be over soon. It’s clear now he was never seriously going to retire in 2022. The FIA investigation is already over just waiting to be released what, 2 days before the start? Does anyone seriously believe they are not doing this aiming directly at Lewis? The FIA is dysfunctional. Period.

As for Martin Bumble I’m always thankful for the Mute Button on the remote. Johnathan Palmer is the only voice of logic on Sky.

Expect 2022 to be like 2021 from a regulatory standpoint. Anyone who didn’t see this coming when a Media Company took over F1 didn’t do their homework. Lets just hope the new rear wing allows some exciting racing on the fast sweepers.

How do you mean 2022 will be the same as 2021 in regards to regulations?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I see all the new car designs have big expanses of carbon fibre floors to be hit and damaged. I expect carnage to ensue this year then as it's the main component giving downforce. Expect many a retirement. We'll see though.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

he he he martin bumble.

What is he saying now?

And did anyone really believe LH would retire? I feel like he will win one or two more titles before he is done.
I honestly feel like Max is a one and done type champ.
Maybe one more title, who knows? I could be wrong...
It just took so much to get him this one I can't see things aligning again like that for him unless he has an absolutely dominant car.

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
he he he martin bumble.

What is he saying now?

And did anyone really believe LH would retire? I feel like he will win one or two more titles before he is done.
I honestly feel like Max is a one and done type champ.
Maybe one more title, who knows?
It just took so much to get him this one I can't see things aligning again like that for him unless he has an absolutely dominant car.

Let’s just hope the rules pay very close attention to that Mercedes rear wing this year.. might give Max a better chance then. Still at least what ever ‘features’ Lewis has George will too. I think Max will go for it again this year though but we will see.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Let’s just hope the rules pay very close attention to that Mercedes rear wing this year.. might give Max a better chance then. Still at least what ever ‘features’ Lewis has George will too. I think Max will go for it again this year though but we will see.
Or the RB pit stops. All teams exploit the rules as much as they can. That’s how you get an edge over the competition.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.