Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I certainly think Sochi should be dropped from the calendar as it reflects poorly on the sport right now. It’s also a rubbish circuit that looks like it’s been set up in the car park of a ski resort. F1 doesn’t need any links to Russia IMO.

I don't think I it's a bad circuit, no worst then Monaco that's for sure. I think they should race there unless the stupid western politicians have a fight with their army's. IMO F1's political stance was utterly ruined since Lewis was allowed to use the sport as a platform to promote BLM.
Edited my post as I missed the 'right now' part of your comment before.

Last edited:

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
Hype !!! cant wait to see the Red car tomorrow , rumors says its the Barcelona spec car , which I find believable as its really close to first testing , I believe Merc will also show us the real thing few days before testing.
Nothing beats new F1 regulations with hope , disappointment , heart break and drama , the look on the team principal that his team nails the regulations vs the ones that didnt , the first Q3 where everyone believes everyone else are sandbagging , CANT WAITTTTTTTTT , nothing like the biggest engineering contest with some vroom vroom around a track !!! lets go Ferrari , this year is our year !!! (please dont let it be a meme again .....)

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
FW44

Williams-actual-FW44-image-2-2022-planetf1-1200x630.jpg

Williams-actual-fw44-2022-planetf1-1024x655.jpg

KwAlJbZ.png

j63leRr.png
EST3YgW.png

QYHI2w5.png

Reactions: Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

Oh and Masi apparently has been moved to a different job, they seem to have totally restructured the director post actually?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
So Michael Masi officially replaced as Race Director and repositioned within the FIA. I would imagine those who felt he acted outside of his remit in Abu Dhabi resulting in affecting the World Championship result are quietly celebrating this tonight. The FIA would not remove someone from their role if they had evidence that they had acted within the rules and this action confirms things. They now need to work on actually being consistent during a season now!

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
So Michael Masi officially replaced as Race Director and repositioned within the FIA. I would imagine those who felt he acted outside of his remit in Abu Dhabi resulting in affecting the World Championship result are quietly celebrating this tonight. The FIA would not remove someone from their role if they had evidence that they had acted within the rules and this action confirms things. They now need to work on actually being consistent during a season now!

So long as they are consistent with ALL teams including Mercedes’. And they punish everyone equally to.

Silly newspapers are stating he was fired in their headlines, but in their reports they state the FIA has offered him another position, so he’s been moved not fired. And if anyone blames Masi, he was race director for 2019 and 2020 when Mercedes and Lewis won, and they have made his job the role of THREE people now. Not sure if it’s a belts and braces move to lock it any complaints from the teams or an admittance the job was far too big for one person?

And they have also banned the communications from teams to the race directing team from being aired, to allow less pressure and decisions to be made in peace, perhaps more admittance it was too much pressure knowing the world was listening to them, infer who came up with that stupid idea in the first place? With every comm being aired.

Anyway onto the testing… if you look every car has a different design for the side pods.. interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glideslope

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
So long as they are consistent with ALL teams including Mercedes’. And they punish everyone equally to.

Silly newspapers are stating he was fired in their headlines, but in their reports they state the FIA has offered him another position, so he’s been moved not fired. And if anyone blames Masi, he was race director for 2019 and 2020 when Mercedes and Lewis won, and they have made his job the role of THREE people now. Not sure if it’s a belts and braces move to lock it any complaints from the teams or an admittance the job was far too big for one person?

And they have also banned the communications from teams to the race directing team from being aired, to allow less pressure and decisions to be made in peace, perhaps more admittance it was too much pressure knowing the world was listening to them, infer who came up with that stupid idea in the first place? With every comm being aired.

Anyway onto the testing… if you look every car has a different design for the side pods.. interesting.

Not sure of the relevance of him being in the role since 2019 as that wasn’t part of the investigation. The criticism of his mistakes has gone much further than the Mercedes team too and it’s been discussed and debated far and wide within the sport and among it’s observers. He wouldn’t have been replaced had he done his job by the book and the fact three people are appointed for 2022 suggests we will see a more measured approach with more than one person deciding on action. I won’t hold out much hope for consistency as it’s not been something the FIA/FISA have ever managed to implement in more than 5 decades. Commercial interests have always factored in the process.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Mission Winnow missing from Ferrari’s car too this season after criticism of its links with the tobacco industry. How they managed to keep it under the banning of tobacco sponsorship just goes to show how much power Ferrari still have within the sport.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hopefully we can start 2022 with a clean start and draw a line under it after this. But I’ll not hold my breath for less controversial decisions this year.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Not sure of the relevance of him being in the role since 2019 as that wasn’t part of the investigation. The criticism of his mistakes has gone much further than the Mercedes team too and it’s been discussed and debated far and wide within the sport and among it’s observers. He wouldn’t have been replaced had he done his job by the book and the fact three people are appointed for 2022 suggests we will see a more measured approach with more than one person deciding on action. I won’t hold out much hope for consistency as it’s not been something the FIA/FISA have ever managed to implement in more than 5 decades. Commercial interests have always factored in the process.

My point was Mercedes and Lewis had no issues with his decisions in those prior years, only the year they lost. I need to see if I can find an unbiased report on the story but that's proven rather difficult as most begin with 'Masi sacked'.
Let's not forget, if he had done his job by the book, Lewis would have been severely penalised for pushing Max off at Silverstone and then again for not giving the space back he gained by overtaking off track in the last race amongst other incidents. Along with the mistakes Max has made being penalised.
So not sure you would want them to do everything by the book as you say. Strangely the teams don't complain if it benefits them though even if the decision isn't by the book.
They need to find a compromise.

We shall see what happens this year though.
George is going to mix it up I feel, at least I hope he does. I want the savage rivalry Nico had with Lewis. More exciting then.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
My point was Mercedes and Lewis had no issues with his decisions in those prior years, only the year they lost. I need to see if I can find an unbiased report on the story but that's proven rather difficult as most begin with 'Masi sacked'.
Let's not forget, if he had done his job by the book, Lewis would have been severely penalised for pushing Max off at Silverstone and then again for not giving the space back he gained by overtaking off track in the last race amongst other incidents. Along with the mistakes Max has made being penalised.
So not sure you would want them to do everything by the book as you say. Strangely the teams don't complain if it benefits them though even if the decision isn't by the book.
They need to find a compromise.

We shall see what happens this year though.
George is going to mix it up I feel, at least I hope he does. I want the savage rivalry Nico had with Lewis. More exciting then.

Lewis had a 10 second penalty at Silverstone which was by the book. Not sure what you mean by ‘severely punished’ by the book? What other punishment can they issue for coming together with a competitor in a corner when the report stated Lewis was mostly to blame with Max sharing a proportion of it. They can’t just severely punish a driver because of the effect of an incident. That would again be making rules up to suit the scenario which is the reason Masi has been removed from his RD role in this instance.

How do you know Mercedes have not complained like every other team during previous years when they’ve disagreed with a decision? That seems highly unlikely considering the hundreds of investigations since 2019. I don’t think it’s strange a team doesn’t complain when a decision benefits them, why would they? It’s a competitive sport for goodness sake lol. You’ve made no secret you don’t like Mercedes or Lewis as they both feature in just about every argument you make. You may not like todays ruling on Masi either because it slightly undermines last seasons result, but nobody is going to take that championship away from Max, we’ve simply been given clarity that the events were poorly managed.

Reactions: ericwn

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Is it me, or do they all look exactly the same bar the paint?
Of course. The rules are quite specific about what they can or can’t do. But under the body work there will be differences we can’t see.
Plus the difference between the show car and the actual race car can be significant. No point in giving the opposition extra development time.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

I was surprised by this move. I’m interested in what internal position he was relocated to? A step in the correct direction however.

I‘m not liking the idea of 2 Co-Race Directors. Should be kept at one. Too much opportunity for ‘ discussion based delays.”

The new system will be under tremendous pressure to treat all teams equally.
One incident of controversy and it all starts again.

I predict a circus in 2022. Hope I’m incorrect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.