Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
True, but the rules allow up to 26 cars (so by extension, 13 teams) so if Andretti can meet the USD 200 million ante, I expect his proposal will be accepted by the FIA and I would not expect Liberty to object.

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
I wonder if they’ll base themselves in the US or Europe?
Europe is the way to go if they want to attract new engineers fast , they will need to poach talent , but most wont just relocate across the Atlantic for a project that can crush and burn within a year , also getting working Visas for a lot of engineers wont be easy to get , I would say it can be a selling point , i.e some would love the opportunity to move to the US and work there , but again , if we are being practical , car designers and engineers for racing cars are mostly located at Europe , specifically England.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Europe is the way to go if they want to attract new engineers fast , they will need to poach talent , but most wont just relocate across the Atlantic for a project that can crush and burn within a year , also getting working Visas for a lot of engineers wont be easy to get , I would say it can be a selling point , i.e some would love the opportunity to move to the US and work there , but again , if we are being practical , car designers and engineers for racing cars are mostly located at Europe , specifically England.

Oh definitely, I am from Banbury, Oxfordshire which is F1 heartland with Haas, Mercedes, Alpine, Aston Martin, Williams, Red Bull etc all within 40 miles. The talent for engineers in the sport and emerging talent from Oxford and Warwick universities is rich. Haas were initially planning to move to the US once they had established themselves but unsurprisingly that plan was abandoned.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Alpine A522

racefansdotnet-21-02-21-18-12-41-6.jpg

racefansdotnet-21-02-21-18-12-42-5.jpg

racefansdotnet-21-02-21-18-12-39-7.jpg

racefansdotnet-21-02-21-17-51-35-10.jpg

racefansdotnet-21-02-21-17-52-32-3.jpg

This one for a couple of races
racefansdotnet-21-02-21-18-17-36-1.jpg

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I wonder if they’ll base themselves in the US or Europe?

I would expect them to primarily base in Europe for the talent, as others have noted.

There was a fair bit of speculation around October last year that they would be buying the Alfa team so that might still be how they plan to enter the sport rather than start from the ground up like Haas did.

Reactions: pachyderm

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Lando tops the time sheets! Go Lando. Go McLaren!
I’d love to see them be competitive. Of course you never know who’s sandbagging etc.

Me too and I hope they are this year. As you say though, it’s testing and times mean nothing really. Lots of aero analysis on long runs as the engines are a known quantity apart from cooling etc from the new packaging. Interesting nonetheless.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I would expect them to primarily base in Europe for the talent, as others have noted.

There was a fair bit of speculation around October last year that they would be buying the Alfa team so that might still be how they plan to enter the sport rather than start from the ground up like Haas did.

My comment was more tongue in cheek really as we all know detaching themselves from the F1 market would make things incredibly difficult for them. I can’t see Alfa being around too much longer and that is a good bet for Andretti. Hopefully he has better luck as a team owner too.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
My comment was more tongue in cheek really as we all know detaching themselves from the F1 market would make things incredibly difficult for them.

Agreed.

Per this interview with Papa Mario, the plan is to home base in England, but build the chassis in Indianapolis at a new facility adjacent to where they manufacture their IndyCar and Indy Lights chassis. Mario also says they have a PSU supplier, but did not say who - Honda would have been the obvious choice if they were still in the sport come 2024 since they currently team with Andretti in IndyCar and did so in IMSA.

I can’t see Alfa being around too much longer and that is a good bet for Andretti. Hopefully he has better luck as a team owner too.

Looks like the deal to buy into Sauber/Alfa failed when the current owners (Longbow Finance) were not willing to cede majority control. So that is why he is now going to launch a new team from the ground up.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Agreed.

Per this interview with Papa Mario, the plan is to home base in England, but build the chassis in Indianapolis at a new facility adjacent to where they manufacture their IndyCar and Indy Lights chassis. Mario also says they have a PSU supplier, but did not say who - Honda would have been the obvious choice if they were still in the sport come 2024 since they currently team with Andretti in IndyCar and did so in IMSA.

Looks like the deal to buy into Sauber/Alfa failed when the current owners (Longbow Finance) were not willing to cede majority control. So that is why he is now going to launch a new team from the ground up.

Interesting stuff. I once went for a tour of Reynard in Brackley in 1997 which funnily enough is where Mercedes AMG now is. They used to supply the chassis for IndyCar at that period. It’ll be interesting to see if the split production will work on an F1 project in the modern era. I wonder if they will work in millimetres to avoid mistakes? lol.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Oh definitely, I am from Banbury, Oxfordshire which is F1 heartland with Haas, Mercedes, Alpine, Aston Martin, Williams, Red Bull etc all within 40 miles. The talent for engineers in the sport and emerging talent from Oxford and Warwick universities is rich. Haas were initially planning to move to the US once they had established themselves but unsurprisingly that plan was abandoned.
Do you do what train spotters, bird watchers and plane watchers do then? stand out side with a pair of binoculars, a camera and a flask of tea/coffee watching all the F1 teams? lol

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Ferrari looking very strong at the end of Day 2 practice. This “Porposising” with the new suspension seems to be a really big issue right now.

Hats off to McLaren. They seem to be the only ones to get the new suspension and ground effect to hold hands. Well done. ?

Last edited:

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Sebastian Vettel has issued a statement that he will not race in Sochi should it go ahead. I think if more drivers start suggesting the same thing, the FIA may consider whether it is worth keeping it on the calendar. It’s a rubbish track anyway.
I wonder if that is a decsion he can make on his own and thus get his team to back him or it is a decision the team has made for him? Only reason I ask is because during the time of the black lives movement, Lewis Hamilton was very very vocal in his support of BLM and the way the media was writing articles about him and his support for BLM they made it look like that he was the one making all the decisons and that his team had to follow him. I wondered if this was the same for Seb and his decision not to race at Sochi.

Also would the team's sponsors (car and driver) have a say because I would have thought they would not be happy to have their name(s) not being shown for the worlds media to see.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I wonder if that is a decsion he can make on his own and thus get his team to back him or it is a decision the team has made for him? Only reason I ask is because during the time of the black lives movement, Lewis Hamilton was very very vocal in his support of BLM and the way the media was writing articles about him and his support for BLM they made it look like that he was the one making all the decisons and that his team had to follow him. I wondered if this was the same for Seb and his decision not to race at Sochi.

Also would the team's sponsors (car and driver) have a say because I would have thought they would not be happy to have their name(s) not being shown for the worlds media to see.
If your not going to be challenging for a title it is easier to just not attend a race. But hopefully his decision will influence others and more importantly the race will be cancelled.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
If your not going to be challenging for a title it is easier to just not attend a race. But hopefully his decision will influence others and more importantly the race will be cancelled.
I can understand that but that doesn't really answer my question does it

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

" F1’s newest phenomenon – porpoising​

Porpoising – or in other words violent bouncing on the suspension at high speeds – has become a buzzword in the Barcelona paddock, with most drivers complaining of the sensation during the opening two days of running.

Chatting about it on Thursday, Binotto reckons Ferrari and all of the teams will quickly get on top of the problem.

“I think most of us at least underestimated the problem, in terms of [being] on track and bouncing more than expected,” said Binotto. “When you're setting these cars up with the ground [effect] floor, the situation is different. It's a learning process.

“I think that solving it can be quite straightforward. Optimising the performance… could be a less easy exercise. I am pretty sure that at some stage the team will get to the solution. How long it will take? The ones that will get there sooner will have an advantage at the start of the season.”

Russell added: “We did not experience it too much, for one reason or another but it is not very pleasant at all. But there are a lot of intelligent people up and down this grid and I am sure everybody will get on top of it sooner rather than later.”

" F1.com

When I first saw the new chassis I thought they looked really high off the ground and wondered if that wouldn't cause them to bounce a bit. Then I just assumed that the once they got to speed the downforce would push them down and it wouldn't be a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.