Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Well confirmed at last. A good move and a seat now available for a driver hopefully there on merit.

9d6c82e77fb193d9ceaff442d8f13f06.png

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Not sure I agree with dropping Nikita, and he was there in merit. He would have gone through all the other classes just like everyone else even if he didn’t win. We don’t need to hate ALL Russians and punish them.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Not sure I agree with dropping Nikita, and he was there in merit. He would have gone through all the other classes just like everyone else even if he didn’t win. We don’t need to hate ALL Russians and punish them.

he was horrible in the driver seat. Money had to be the main reason he was there.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Alfa Romeo C42

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Extreme anti-dive suspension​

Although the C42’s front suspension retains a conventional push-rod operation of the inboard rockers, the geometry is quite extreme. The top wishbone’s front leg is mounted high, the rear leg much lower.
This will give a big resistance to dive when the car brakes, thereby keeping the aerodynamic platform of the car more stable. The venturi channels below the 2022 generation of cars dominate almost every aspect of car design, and keeping them fed with air throughout all the different states the car will see in roll, pitch and dive is crucial.

Alfa’s Jan Moncheaux-led technical team has opted to prioritise keeping the car as level as possible under braking to retain as much of the ground effect induced by the tunnels as possible. - F1.com

image.jpg

Reactions: fishingfromakay

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
he was horrible in the driver seat. Money had to be the main reason he was there.

Indeed, he was an ok driver in lower formulas and was a pay driver in F1 purely because his father owns Uralkali and paid £35m to Haas. Once the sponsorship was terminated, Mazepin had no real right to be in the seat. A nice guy, but there are better drivers worthy of that seat IMO.

Alfa Romeo C42

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Extreme anti-dive suspension​

Although the C42’s front suspension retains a conventional push-rod operation of the inboard rockers, the geometry is quite extreme. The top wishbone’s front leg is mounted high, the rear leg much lower.
This will give a big resistance to dive when the car brakes, thereby keeping the aerodynamic platform of the car more stable. The venturi channels below the 2022 generation of cars dominate almost every aspect of car design, and keeping them fed with air throughout all the different states the car will see in roll, pitch and dive is crucial.

Alfa’s Jan Moncheaux-led technical team has opted to prioritise keeping the car as level as possible under braking to retain as much of the ground effect induced by the tunnels as possible. - F1.com

image.jpg
Nice livery although Bottas says there is a lot of work to do to get the performance right.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Indeed, he was an ok driver in lower formulas and was a pay driver in F1 purely because his father owns Uralkali and paid £35m to Haas. Once the sponsorship was terminated, Mazepin had no real right to be in the seat. A nice guy, but there are better drivers worthy of that seat IMO.

Nice livery although Bottas says there is a lot of work to do to get the performance right.
I'm sure he is correct.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Grey66

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2018
London
So who do we reckon will get Mazespins seat? Anyone feeling sorry for him, not once has he come out and mentioned Ukraine and what's happening there.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
So who do we reckon will get Mazespins seat? Anyone feeling sorry for him, not once has he come out and mentioned Ukraine and what's happening there.

Yes I feel a bit sorry, seeing as his only crime is being Russian, and secondly it's not easy for a public figure who's Russian to come out and speak against Putin... I suspect some have paid a high price for doing so before, just like in China.
Yes he's not exactly the best driver, but he's literally been kicked out purely because of his nationality, an awful lot of hypocrisy and shame with that, an awful lot.
No idea who will replace him but it'll be some cheap young up coming driver no doubt.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Pure utter assumption and personal opinion on your part purely because he's Russian. Also incredibly hypocritical too.
Pure utter assumption and personal opinion on your part...

I was basing my opinion on his horrible racing record last season.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Pure utter assumption and personal opinion on your part...

I was basing my opinion on his horrible racing record last season.

Sorry but I think accusing him of only being in F1 purely because of his fathers money, with no proof to back that claim up, is completely your personal opinion and assumption. And totally ignores facts such as the previous formulas he has won in.
Yes he's not very good, but neither is Mick Schumacher yet you haven't accused him of being in the team because of his father.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yes I feel a bit sorry, seeing as his only crime is being Russian, and secondly it's not easy for a public figure who's Russian to come out and speak against Putin... I suspect some have paid a high price for doing so before, just like in China.
Yes he's not exactly the best driver, but he's literally been kicked out purely because of his nationality, an awful lot of hypocrisy and shame with that, an awful lot.
No idea who will replace him but it'll be some cheap young up coming driver no doubt.

He wasn’t sacked because of his nationality, but because the title sponsor Uralkali has been dropped by Haas and they paid his wages. The fact he is Russian and has dodged certain questions put to him during testing regarding the conflict has also been bad PR for his American/British team. The fact of the matter is, he is an ok driver but there are better drivers coming through who are better than him and perhaps more deserving of a chance. It’s not called the ‘piranha club’ for nothing.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
He wasn’t sacked because of his nationality, but because the title sponsor Uralkali has been dropped by Haas and they paid his wages. The fact he is Russian and has dodged certain questions put to him during testing regarding the conflict has also been bad PR for his American/British team. The fact of the matter is, he is an ok driver but there are better drivers coming through who are better than him and perhaps more deserving of a chance. It’s not called the ‘piranha club’ for nothing.

It would be pretty stupid of him to comment on the situation with that going on and could be a security risk to F1 if he did. Russian parliament are having anti war press members arrested now. And they aren't afraid to use nerve agents on the public.
But reading the reports he has been sacked because he is Russian, and they have banned all Russian drivers in competing in any U.K. motorsport, a quite hypocritical move considering London banks are known as the Russian money laundry mat, and due to that they had threats if further Russian driver bans, they were going to allow him to race under a neutral flag.
So he has in effect been fired due to his nationality, at least he didn’t cheat with performance enhancing drugs like other sports Russians enter in.

The world are penalising an entire country of people purely because of its crazy politicians. I don’t find that right and a dangerous road to go down.

We will have to see who they replace him with.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
The world are penalising an entire country of people purely because of its crazy politicians. I don’t find that right and a dangerous road to go down.
That's the whole point of sanctions. If enough pressure is brought to bear, the citizens of that country might try and do something about it.

Reactions: ericwn

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
That's the whole point of sanctions. If enough pressure is brought to bear, the citizens of that country might try and do something about it.

That’s different, sanctions are designed to put pressure on the government, banning sports people due to their nationality doesn’t seem the same. I have already seen a British politician call for all Russian to be expelled from the U.K.! As I said a dangerous road to follow.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So he has in effect been fired due to his nationality...

Yes he was fired because he's a Russian, but it was not a punitive measure against him solely because he was Russian, but because being a Russian was causing the team a great deal of issues with sponsors and other aspects which made the daily running of the team difficult.

And that is Putin's fault, not HaasF1's.

And unless Uralkali pre-paid his entire sponsorship in one lump sum (like Venezuela did for Pastor Maldonado, sending a single GBP 50 million check to Williams at the start of the season), then he would have been terminated regardless of his nationality unless he was able to personally cover those sponsorship checkpoints via other means.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Sorry but I think accusing him of only being in F1 purely because of his fathers money, with no proof to back that claim up, is completely your personal opinion and assumption. And totally ignores facts such as the previous formulas he has won in.
Yes he's not very good, but neither is Mick Schumacher yet you haven't accused him of being in the team because of his father.
Mick is definitely riding his father's coattails.

You're really starting to bother me.

Put me on ignore or I'll put you on ignore. Either way is fine with me. You're the pot calling the kettle black on here.

Never mind. I've done it.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Yes he was fired because he's a Russian, but it was not a punitive measure against him solely because he was Russian, but because being a Russian was causing the team a great deal of issues with sponsors and other aspects which made the daily running of the team difficult.

And that is Putin's fault, not HaasF1's.

And unless Uralkali pre-paid his entire sponsorship in one lump sum (like Venezuela did for Pastor Maldonado, sending a single GBP 50 million check to Williams at the start of the season), then he would have been terminated regardless of his nationality unless he was able to personally cover those sponsorship checkpoints via other means.

See whilst you can blame Putin, will the Russian people see it like that? That’s the danger, FIA claims it gets millions from the Russian GP, will they be as welcome when they go back.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the invasion stopped tomorrow and the FIA put the Russian GP back on the calendar.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
See whilst you can blame Putin, will the Russian people see it like that?

Every Russian knows Putin ordered the invasion so who else will they blame for sanctions against Russia because of said invasion?

And reports out of Russia show that the longer the campaign drags on without Ukraine surrendering, more of the general Russian public are less in favor of the decision to invade.

That’s the danger, FIA claims it gets millions from the Russian GP, will they be as welcome when they go back.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the invasion stopped tomorrow and the FIA put the Russian GP back on the calendar.

I am not sure how much the Formula One Group pays to the FIA, but it doesn't really matter since FOG is the one who gets the revenue from the races. And considering how tight Bernie and Putin were, I expect Russia, like Monaco, was paying well below "market rates" compared to other events.

And considering FOG terminated the contract with the current promoter, even if Russia pulled back to their own borders tomorrow, an entirely new contract would need to be negotiated and then signed before the Russian GP can return to the calendar.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.