Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fridayxiii

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Tampa Bay, FL
So I just finished S4 of Drive to Survive last night. I may be one of the last to finish, but I enjoyed the 10 episodes over three days :cool:

My takeaways & personal impressions:

Yuki Tsunoda is one funny f*cker. Apparently he's full of poo but damn entertaining, and based on character a new favorite driver.

Nikita Mazepin was a whiny little bitch. Same car as Mick, who seemed to do be fairly happy (based on car-to-pit comms) but Nikita couldn't figure it out. Mazepin was awful, and Russian heritage not withstanding, didn't deserve the seat. After all, as they pointed out, his first F1 race lasted all of three corners.

Team principals....Gunther Steiner is always funny, Wolff is pretty smug, Horner is a grade-A *******. Nobody likes losing that long, but he clearly let it get to him. Horner took it personally, or at least that's how the editing made it look. I've watched F1 long enough to see Max from his debut to present and witnessed all the dust-ups he's caused. He & Horner have no room to gripe if anyone gets rough with him on-track.

I'm really looking forward to the new season & for the first time will DVR the first practice to see the new cars on track. I hope we have another great season, but one decided by drivers on the track, not stewards or race control in a hidden room.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Nikita Mazepin was a whiny little bitch. Same car as Mick, who seemed to do be fairly happy (based on car-to-pit comms) but Nikita couldn't figure it out. Mazepin was awful, and Russian heritage not withstanding, didn't deserve the seat. After all, as they pointed out, his first F1 race lasted all of three corners.
he he he

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
So I just finished S4 of Drive to Survive last night. I may be one of the last to finish, but I enjoyed the 10 episodes over three days :cool:

My takeaways & personal impressions:

Yuki Tsunoda is one funny f*cker. Apparently he's full of poo but damn entertaining, and based on character a new favorite driver.

Team principals....Gunther Steiner is always funny, Wolff is pretty smug, Horner is a grade-A *******. Nobody likes losing that long, but he clearly let it get to him. Horner took it personally, or at least that's how the editing made it look. I've watched F1 long enough to see Max from his debut to present and witnessed all the dust-ups he's caused. He & Horner have no room to gripe if anyone gets rough with him on-track.

I'm really looking forward to the new season & for the first time will DVR the first practice to see the new cars on track. I hope we have another great season, but one decided by drivers on the track, not stewards or race control in a hidden room.

Similar thoughts here.

And I really don’t like Will Buxton ( or is it Bill Wuxton?) and that entire fake interview style with these “journalists“.

It’s season 4 and a show for F1 enthusiasts, stop the drama talk and constantly stating the obvious.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Similar thoughts here.

And I really don’t like Will Buxton ( or is it Bill Wuxton?) and that entire fake interview style with these “journalists“.

It’s season 4 and a show for F1 enthusiasts, stop the drama talk and constantly stating the obvious.

That's the style of F1 though. All drama now, like a Hollywood blockbuster for the entertainment value.
I like Yuki think he'll be one to watch this year, he did pretty well in his first season.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Similar thoughts here.

I liked Lando’s comments the other day where he said DTS showed him and Ricciardo side by side in a corner but used the audio from another race and incident where Lando says: ‘he pushed me off!’ Lol. Apparently him and Ricciardo have had a good laugh over the fake drama.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Their is a meeting today with the teams and FIA Technical Directors and board, it's to discuss the new rules regulations and any concerns over the cars. And apparently a spotlight is on the new Mercedes which is actually quite radically different to all the other cars, Ferrari have raised concerns over the new Mercedes' wing mirrors for instance.
May be interesting to see what the outcome is.
Behind the scenes I've no doubt they are all lobbying against each other's designs though anyway.

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
It would be outrageous to let the Mercs use that mirror , its one thing to have a radical and amazing new "no side pods" design which is genuine innovation , but its completely different to let them use , what all the teams understand due to be illegal mirror aero design , Ferrari got its mirror aero design banned in 2018 and ever since all teams are just using a simple mirror as its understood to be illegal.
This is not a Merc design innovation , its them testing the FIA and seeing what they can get away , I guess they believe they would get some lenient ruling after last year fiasco.

Even letting them use it for 1 race is a horrible decision , but it looks like that's what going to happen , the teams would lobby against it , Merc would claim its too late for them to change it as they need to do crush testing and what not , and would be allowed to use it for 1 race at least.

You cant really believe that all the teams just decided to not put aero devices on the most obvious parts of the car .....
Lets see the FIA say NO to Mercedes for now , and ON TIME.

Reactions: Pezimak

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It would be outrageous to let the Mercs use that mirror , its one thing to have a radical and amazing new "no side pods" design which is genuine innovation , but its completely different to let them use , what all the teams understand due to be illegal mirror aero design , Ferrari got its mirror aero design banned in 2018 and ever since all teams are just using a simple mirror as its understood to be illegal.
This is not a Merc design innovation , its them testing the FIA and seeing what they can get away , I guess they believe they would get some lenient ruling after last year fiasco.

Even letting them use it for 1 race is a horrible decision , but it looks like that's what going to happen , the teams would lobby against it , Merc would claim its too late for them to change it as they need to do crush testing and what not , and would be allowed to use it for 1 race at least.

You cant really believe that all the teams just decided to not put aero devices on the most obvious parts of the car .....
Lets see the FIA say NO to Mercedes for now , and ON TIME.

We have to admire any team that pushes their luck or to the envelope of design though. It’s an R&D sport that in the last 2 decades has been heavily regulated to stifle innovation to enable the field to remain as close as possible. I understand the reasons for that of course as costs end up being astronomical. You end up with a billion pound race car(s) like Brawn GP had in 2009.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I also applaud brave design decisions. However, at this stage, it would only be professional to have received the green light from FIA in order to participate in testing.
I’m getting tired of the approach of taking parts away from a team during the season just because all of a sudden they don’t fit into a regulation somehow.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I also applaud brave design decisions. However, at this stage, it would only be professional to have received the green light from FIA in order to participate in testing.
I’m getting tired of the approach of taking parts away from a team during the season just because all of a sudden they don’t fit into a regulation somehow.

It’s also hypocritical of the FIA to stand by a cost cap but allow teams to continue to develop costly parts that are known about for months and then suddenly banned.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
It’s also hypocritical of the FIA to stand by a cost cap but allow teams to continue to develop costly parts that are known about for months and then suddenly banned.

It was previously agreed a while before this year that the wing mirrors would serve no aerodynamic role on the car, it's clear the new Mercedes ones do though due to their design and where they are mounted.
I suspect most teams will challenge that today. Weather anything is done about it or the FIA approve the new wind mirrors who knows, sometimes the FIA seem to make it up as they go along.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It was previously agreed a while before this year that the wing mirrors would serve no aerodynamic role on the car, it's clear the new Mercedes ones do though due to their design and where they are mounted.
I suspect most teams will challenge that today. Weather anything is done about it or the FIA approve the new wind mirrors who knows, sometimes the FIA seem to make it up as they go along.

That’s a specific instance I wasn’t referring to. Sure, if Mercedes’ have gone against an agreement I’m regards to wing mirrors, it deserves to be addressed.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
That’s a specific instance I wasn’t referring to. Sure, if Mercedes’ have gone against an agreement I’m regards to wing mirrors, it deserves to be addressed.

the rule which governs the mirrors is:

Article 3.2.2, which states “the aerodynamic influence of any component of the car not considered to be bodywork must be incidental to its main function” and that “any design which aims to maximise such an aerodynamic influence is prohibited”.

But it seems the FIA isn't too concerned with 'little' changes or small features against the spirit of the rules. So it's quite possible they will just ignore the design, even though it's against the rules.

FIA are of to a good start this year. We shall see what happens.
Ferrari are pretty upset with the design though, but in 2018 the FIA forces them to change their wing mirrors.

Article on it here:

Saturday will be very very very interesting.

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I also heard once they select a chassis that's it, they are not allowed to change it for the entire season. So if they mess the design up tough. Also if they have to build a new chassis they have to crash test it all again? Don't know if that one's true though.

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
Matter went on the record saying they are not behind the other PU`s and might be a bit ahead , there is a good chance I would be standing the entire of qualy sessions , there is a good chance we score a podium in the first race , and maybe even compete for a win !!! also I can wait to see lewis vs Russel , should be a mega season if all goes according to plan , the midfield is tighter and with the new cars we should have mega racing there , hopefully we get the same at the front !!

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Finally we are just a couple of days from race weekend - so happy to have this to look forward to. I haven't had time to be following the past few weeks testing other than catching a few headlines and short articles online, and reading the posts here. I don't quite understand the Mercedes miser design, it's a bit hard for me to fully visualize it from the photos I've seen with all of the various colors and decals and such. The side pods too, but after seeing the cars in action I suppose it will become more clear.

And I'm excited at the possibility of Ferrari doing well this year. It's about time!

Final note, I have not watched any of the Drive to Survive, I guess it's time for me to make use of my Netflix subscription and go back through the - four seasons now? I guess maybe I waited to long to finally start watching them (just checked - they're all there still) . . .

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Well that was an interesting day of qualifying :)

mv-lh-bahrain-2022-UglyAndShit-Twitter.png

• Haha

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Wow, P2 under the lights really showed current development.
Ferrari looks very strong. ?

The RB18 looks glued to the track.

W13, what the hell was Mercedes thinking? It’s still like riding a Bull on the straights. Interesting that George is getting much better results out of it than Lewis. Should be interesting to watch these two during the season. Toto had better let George race Lewis all season.

Looking forward to the Prancing Horses in Qualifying. ?

Reactions: pachyderm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.