Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Wow, P2 under the lights really showed current development.
Ferrari looks very strong.

The RB18 looks glued to the track.

W13, what the hell was Mercedes thinking? It’s still like riding a Bull on the straights. Interesting that George is getting much better results out of it than Lewis. Should be interesting to watch these two during the season. Toto had better let George race Lewis all season.

Looking forward to the Prancing Horses in Qualifying.

With regs changing as drastically as they have, not every team was going to get it right. I was hoping McLaren might be better than they’ve shown in Bahrain after the early promise in Barcelona. Hamilton’s Merc certainly looks awful in the heavy braking zones and they need to rectify that. Russell’s doesn’t look quite so bad but it likely down to driver setups and preferences.

Reactions: Glideslope

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Looks like Mercedes have addressed their porpoising issue by running the car lower and were 4th (Russel) and 6th (Lewis) in FP3.

Qualifying is in 15 so we shall see how it handles in cooler conditions.

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
Wow, just got home from selling a car, and see a Haas and Alpha Romeo in Q3? What in the Upside Down is going on here??? I'm hoping this holds up year long and makes for some great/interesting racing

Reactions: Glideslope

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Looks like the Ferrari PSU and transmission are the best combination at the moment considering how all three teams performed. K-Mag in Q2 was impressive holding onto 4th until the final lap even parked in the garage with a hydraulic issue which looks like it might have bit him again in Q3.

And that must have been an incredible middle sector by LeClerc considering he was slower than his best times in the 1st and 3rd sectors, but still pipped Sainz.

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Thoughts on qualifying

Looks like the Ferrari PSU and transmission are the best combination at the moment considering how all three teams performed. K-Mag in P2 was impressive holding onto 4th until the final lap even parked in the garage with a hydraulic issue which looks like it might have bit him again in Q3.

And that must have been an incredible middle sector by LeClerc considering he was slower than his best times in the 1st and 3rd sectors, but still pipped Sainz.

Still looks like a Three Team show versus a Two Team show. It’s to early for the teams. We won‘t see the performance kinks worked out until the break, IMO.

Hats off to Lewis for getting the W13 Mess up to P5. He’s still got it. The RB18 is close to being dialed in. Ferrari rewarded for the off season sweat and late days.

Ferrari on Pole ? Doesn’t get much better for me ?.

Reactions: Phil77354

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Fantastic! The rule changes are a success. Other teams are challenging the top now. Ferrari back in form and other cars using their engine also bearing Mercedes powered cars. That'll put a bounce in Ferraris step.
Mercedes have screwed the pooch a bit but George out qualifying Lewis? Wow.
The race is going to be very interesting and maybe intense, if it's as close as promised.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
But poor McLaren... I had really high hopes for them, hopefully they can fix the issues though.
It's also nice to see Alvin back in a car. Like him.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Great to see Magnussen in P7 on his F1 return. Mazepin was never going to get near that and must be fuming from wherever he’s watching it. Nice to see a good mix in the top ten too. Lewis out qualifying George by a second was a surprise, I hope that gap reduces as they both learn the car.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Seems all the drivers are saying the cars are more tricky to understand this year, Leclerc said he's still trying to find the perfect driving style for his, they aren't fully comfortable yet with them. Most saying the tyres are making a big difference as they are the harder compound on this track.
A new era indeed.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Good to see Ferrari up there after a long hiatus. Shame about McLaren though thought they might be a bit faster.
Still glad F1 is back.
Early days.

Not counting Lewis out just yet.

The Alfa of Bottas and the Haas of Magnussen were pleasant surprises.

GO SAINZ! GO LANDO!

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
116Charles LeclercFERRARI1:31.4711:30.9321:30.55815
21Max VerstappenRED BULL RACING RBPT1:31.7851:30.7571:30.68114
355Carlos SainzFERRARI1:31.5671:30.7871:30.68715
411Sergio PerezRED BULL RACING RBPT1:32.3111:31.0081:30.92118
544Lewis HamiltonMERCEDES1:32.2851:31.0481:31.23817
677Valtteri BottasALFA ROMEO FERRARI1:31.9191:31.7171:31.56015
720Kevin MagnussenHAAS FERRARI1:31.9551:31.4611:31.80812
814Fernando AlonsoALPINE RENAULT1:32.3461:31.6211:32.19514
963George RussellMERCEDES1:32.2691:31.2521:32.21617
1010Pierre GaslyALPHATAURI RBPT1:32.0961:31.6351:32.33821
1131Esteban OconALPINE RENAULT1:32.0411:31.78212
1247Mick SchumacherHAAS FERRARI1:32.3801:31.99811
134Lando NorrisMCLAREN MERCEDES1:32.2391:32.00814
1423Alexander AlbonWILLIAMS MERCEDES1:32.7261:32.66413
1524Zhou GuanyuALFA ROMEO FERRARI1:32.4931:33.54312
1622Yuki TsunodaALPHATAURI RBPT1:32.7508
1727Nico HulkenbergASTON MARTIN ARAMCO MERCEDES1:32.7776
183Daniel RicciardoMCLAREN MERCEDES1:32.9458
1918Lance StrollASTON MARTIN ARAMCO MERCEDES1:33.0326
206Nicholas LatifiWILLIAMS MERCEDES1:33.6348

edited because i left out latifi... how is that for a prophetic metaphor of his 2022 season?

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Having read through the report findings I think it’s now closed that chapter. The 2021 Formula One World Drivers Championship was decided by ‘human error’ but this is final. I think in reality it’s a bitter pill to swallow for the drivers involved whether they won or lost. It’ll be talked about like we still talk about Senna/Schumacher incidents from years gone by but at least it’s finally been acknowledged.

Formula 1: 'Human error' responsible for incorrect application of rules in Abu Dhabi https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60807766

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
Some embarrassing performances out there , Stroll , Ric , Mick , Tsunoda , Latifi and to some degree Sergio which seems to be heading into another year of abuse from Max.
Daniel would get 1 race grace due to missing track time , but next week after this race completes he should have no excuses anymore.

Stroll losing to Hulk and Mick losing to Kmag is really really bad for them , Mick was so used to demolish his teammate and I assume he started to believe he is outdriving the car , but a "retired" F1 driver came in a short notice and took him to school.
Race today will be great to watch , hoping for a clean start , but wont be surprised to see Charles and Max entangle at the first corner.

Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Having read through the report findings I think it’s now closed that chapter. The 2021 Formula One World Drivers Championship was decided by ‘human error’ but this is final. I think in reality it’s a bitter pill to swallow for the drivers involved whether they won or lost. It’ll be talked about like we still talk about Senna/Schumacher incidents from years gone by but at least it’s finally been acknowledged.

Formula 1: 'Human error' responsible for incorrect application of rules in Abu Dhabi https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60807766
We all knew it was human error. Releasing the report so late was a very calculated move. I do hope RBR will have a lot less screen time this year. Especially CH. he gets on my wick.

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
We all knew it was human error. Releasing the report so late was a very calculated move. I do hope RBR will have a lot less screen time this year. Especially CH. he gets on my wick.
I love CH , he gives us a show , hearing some of the TP interviews is putting me to sleep , drivers wise I am not a Max fan but he is a MEGA driver which I love watching race , so I do hope to see the RBR team :)
Hearing how the Mercs were turning down their engines at 2014 to not be too far ahead so they wont get hammered by the FIA is one of the most disgusting things ive read (it was their PU lead who said Toto would shout at him if they went too quick ....) , the Mercs gamed F1 for a decade almost as they entered the Hybrid era with a fully developed engine they pushed for and got (they developed it years before anyone else) , so if anything let me see Toto and Merc smug faces suffer for a while , I dont have any doubts that they will be back on top sooner rather then later, but I am going to enjoy my time without them wining everything.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Some embarrassing performances out there , Stroll , Ric , Mick , Tsunoda , Latifi and to some degree Sergio which seems to be heading into another year of abuse from Max.
Daniel would get 1 race grace due to missing track time , but next week after this race completes he should have no excuses anymore.

Stroll losing to Hulk and Mick losing to Kmag is really really bad for them , Mick was so used to demolish his teammate and I assume he started to believe he is outdriving the car , but a "retired" F1 driver came in a short notice and took him to school.
Race today will be great to watch , hoping for a clean start , but wont be surprised to see Charles and Max entangle at the first corner.
I wonder how Hulk would have done in the Haas? I really like him and glad he is back if only for one race.

That said, why is Vettel sitting this one out? What have I missed? ahh covid. Get well Seabass.

I'm also glad to see MAG back in F1 as well.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I love CH , he gives us a show , hearing some of the TP interviews is putting me to sleep , drivers wise I am not a Max fan but he is a MEGA driver which I love watching race , so I do hope to see the RBR team :)
Hearing how the Mercs were turning down their engines at 2014 to not be too far ahead so they wont get hammered by the FIA is one of the most disgusting things ive read (it was their PU lead who said Toto would shout at him if they went too quick ....) , the Mercs gamed F1 for a decade almost as they entered the Hybrid era with a fully developed engine they pushed for and got (they developed it years before anyone else) , so if anything let me see Toto and Merc smug faces suffer for a while , I dont have any doubts that they will be back on top sooner rather then later, but I am going to enjoy my time without them wining everything.

I don’t think Mercedes pushed for the hybrid era exclusively, it was a natural progression as that is where the automotive industry has been heading for the past decade plus. Audi, Toyota etc were racing hybrid engines way before F1. If F1 had not moved into hybrids then the likes of Mercedes’, Renault and Honda would have had no reason to participate in the sport as it wouldn’t be in their commercial interest. F1 provides these manufacturers a tax relief on their R&D which is why they take part and also to boost there PR when they do well.

If Mercedes’ were turning their engines down because they had done a better job, well that’s the finest British engineering straight out of Brixworth flexing its muscles lol. I’ll take that.

Reactions: ericwn

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
It’s the way Christian moans that gets me. But agree they all take their turn. Personally I’d like to see more racing and less team principle radio. That is not what I tune in for.

Lewis moans, tyres are rubbish, handlings rubbish, this is rubbish that’s rubbish oh look I’ve won, again. And you won’t hear Horner’s radio chatter now, only the managers can contact the directors or whoever they radio now, but I’m sure we’ll hear Lewis still.

• Haha
Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Lewis moans, tyres are rubbish, handlings rubbish, this is rubbish that’s rubbish oh look I’ve won, again. And you won’t hear Horner’s radio chatter now, only the managers can contact the directors or whoever they radio now, but I’m sure we’ll hear Lewis still.
Correct... also, I thought I had you on "ignore"...

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.