Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Just watched the race. Really enjoyed the close racing. You can tell they can follow so much closer than before.
Yes DRS is weaker, but I don’t mind that. Who wants easy DRS passes all the time that favour the following driver too much.
Great result for Ferrari. They really have spent 2021 getting ready for this year. Two good drivers.
Unfortunate for RBR. They knew there was an issue but they gambled on leaving the guys out and it was a failure.

As for Mercedes, off the pace by a good margin. But a pretty good result for them all things considered. But plenty of work to do back at base.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Just watched the race. Really enjoyed the close racing. You can tell they can follow so much closer than before.
Yes DRS is weaker, but I don’t mind that. Who wants easy DRS passes all the time that favour the following driver too much.
Great result for Ferrari. They really have spent 2021 getting ready for this year. Two good drivers.
Unfortunate for RBR. They knew there was an issue but they gambled on leaving the guys out and it was a failure.

As for Mercedes, off the pace by a good margin. But a pretty good result for them all things considered. But plenty of work to do back at base.

I’ve read a few articles on it and it seemed a decent race. I think my favourite aspect is Magnussen getting P5 and the Merc’s doing better than expected.

Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I’ve read a few articles on it and it seemed a decent race. I think my favourite aspect is Magnussen getting P5 and the Merc’s doing better than expected.
It was a great result for Magnussen and Mercedes as well. Also a great debut for the number 10 man, Zhou. Good to see old and new faces mixing it up.

But actually the best thing about the race was the lack of penalties!!!!

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

I watched an interview with Horner (The Whiner ?) he said they don’t see any issue as of yet with the power unit. It was another issue. They are trying to understand why it effected both cars at the same time. Seems odd.

No comments on Max’s steering. The reporter never asked.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
  1. Ferrari has the complete package to start the season and Haas and Alfa are benefitting, as well.
  2. Despite the double DNF, RBR still looked very strong.
  3. Mercedes clearly is behind Ferrari and RBR, but they have enormous engineering talent so I expect them to recover soon.
  4. And how about Valteri? Bottas did more in that Alfa in his first race than George did in all his seasons with the team. Yes, I am sure the Williams has a better package this year thanks to closer ties to Mercedes, but still. I mean Albon did nothing in the sister car.
You mean Alfa.

And yeah very happy for him.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I'm not going to say Ferrari are "back" just yet. Great result though. Fingers crossed Sainz gets a couple of wins. Fun to have two drivers you like in a competitive car.

I did enjoy the race though.

The cars do look slow in the corners.

Agreed the DRS seems very weak.

MAG/Haas WELL DONE!

McClaren...???? O my.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I watched an interview with Horner (The Whiner ?) he said they don’t see any issue as of yet with the power unit. It was another issue. They are trying to understand why it effected both cars at the same time. Seems odd.

He said in other interviews the problem with the steering was when it was released from the jacks at the pit stop, it tweaked a steering arm or something and knocked the geometry out.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I watched an interview with Horner (The Whiner ) he said they don’t see any issue as of yet with the power unit. It was another issue. They are trying to understand why it effected both cars at the same time. Seems odd.

Horner was quite calm post race I thought and especially after the team was criticised by Max quite vocally on the radio and after the race in the interview pit. That was probably down to Max not moaning though, and just acceptably expecting a radically changed car to be trouble free in its debut race.

Reactions: Glideslope

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Horner was quite calm post race I thought and especially after the team was criticised by Max quite vocally on the radio and after the race in the interview pit. That was probably down to Max not moaning though, and just acceptably expecting a radically changed car to be trouble free in its debut race.
Probably due to the fact it was the first race and he probably expects Ferrari to implode at some point.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Probably due to the fact it was the first race and he probably expects Ferrari to implode at some point.

He would be mistaken then. I don’t see Ferrari imploding. I really think they have all their data down so far. I admit I’m back to Ferrari as my #1 Team now that Honda has “officially“ left F1. I‘m thinking they don’t have to run at the high power settings as often with this superb chassis. They nailed the aero.

Then again, I’m always somewhat like an outsider in here as it’s more about the chassis and especially the power units than drivers for me.

Same with IMSA, and Honda Power in Indy Car. I don’t watch NASCAR.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
He would be mistaken then. I don’t see Ferrari imploding. I really think they have all their data down so far. I admit I’m back to Ferrari as my #1 Team now that Honda has “officially“ left F1. I‘m thinking they don’t have to run at the high power settings as often with this superb chassis. They nailed the aero.

Then again, I’m always somewhat like an outsider in here as it’s more about the chassis and especially the power units than drivers for me.

We all have our favourites. Personally McLaren for me. I don’t really see Williams as Williams any more, but enjoyed their success back in the day.
Mostly I just want a good mix of drivers and cars getting results. Makes it more interesting.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
You don’t mind Max or any of the other drivers moaning, just Lewis?

Well if you want me to take the context of your comment, 'you don't mind' well it depends, Max had a perfectly good reason to moan on Sunday as he was telling his team his steering was not right and that his power was lost, both times he was correct. Over dramatic by claiming no grip? For sure but he was right as it wasn't as it should be.

Other drivers, if they complain for no reason yes, like my tires are rubbish or shot, and yet they finish the race in the same set, yea that's moaning. The constant complaining the safety car isn't going fast enough is annoying too as it's going as fast as it can! It's a road car, it's meant to be slower.

Things like that.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

I'd never say it is out of the realm of possibilities with Ferrari though...

NASCAR for me they have turned into a "last man standing" type of sport...

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I don’t think I have ever watched a nascar race in my life, have I missed anything?

Partially dressed women promoting Energy Drinks, and cars going in circles. The God Like event in their “Next Gen Car” for 2022 was incorporating a Multilink Rear Suspension. They just haven’t figured out how to set the camber correctly yet after 3 races from what I understand. Blowouts constantly from overloading the sidewalls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.