Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Look at that, it's crazy we now measure the top 8 down to tenths of a second! Micks time is null en void though as he'll have to start from the pit lane as he'll have a totally new car. But I bet he'll be sore tomorrow.
Will they even get it ready in time?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Will they even get it ready in time?

Hmm it'll be an all nighter, commentators said they literally have a new monocoque in a box they'll use. Not sure what bits they can save off the crashed car though as the gearbox and back end fell off it when they craned it up! Mechanics will have to earn their money tonight though for HAAS.

I would never NEVER have thought the season would start with Ferrari and Red Bull battling it out, with a mid field less then a second behind! And Mercedes no where near the front. Super super happy to see Perez on Poll, he's a lot more cheerful then Max lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Hmm it'll be an all nighter, commentators said they literally have a new monocoque in a box they'll use. Not sure what bits they can save off the crashed car though as the gearbox and back end fell off it when they craned it up! Mechanics will have to earn their money tonight though for HAAS.

I would never NEVER think the season would start with Ferrari and Red Bull battling it out, with a mid field less then a second behind! And Mercedes no where near the front. Super super happy to see Perez on Poll, he's a lot more cheerful then Max lol.
ahh

I wasn't aware that they did about "spares" these days.

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
The teams are allowed to have the parts on hand to build-up a complete third car, which is why if the crash happens on Friday or Saturday they can generally have the new car ready for the race on Sunday.
Didn't they used to bring a complete other car?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Didn't they used to bring a complete other car?

Yes the teams were allowed to have as many cars as they wanted at a Grand Prix. These "T cars" would be scrutineered for use and if there was a major accident in the first handful of laps that caused a Red Flag and re-start, the teams could roll out the T car as a replacement.

This was banned with the 2003 season and the T car, while still allowed to be brought to the event, was not scrutineered. If the primary car of a driver was damaged beyond repair between practice and qualifying, the team could submit the T car for scrutineering and use it in place of the primary.

Under the current rules, the teams are allowed to have sufficient spare parts on hand (including the survival cell / monocoque) to effectively build a replacement car. This new car then is scrutineered and becomes the new primary for the driver.

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Obviously George seems to have a better handle on the W13 than Lewis at this point, however, there has been allot of rumors that the new AMG unit doesn’t like the new fuel. Anyone read anything on this?

Could be Lewis is having issues with throttle modulation and his driving style compared to George?

Obviously the W13 can’t be a total redo with Georges’s driving.

Glad Mick is ok. Congratulations to Sergio and the RB18 ( cough, cough, Honda)
on Pole. ? Still think Ferrari is the package to be though.

Every F1 fan should write to F1 and the FIA regarding the safety issues at Jeddah both for drivers and teams. It’s a dangerous track in a dangerous Kingdom.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Obviously George seems to have a better handle on the W13 than Lewis at this point, however, there has been allot of rumors that the new AMG unit doesn’t like the new fuel. Anyone read anything on this?

The Mercedes PU does seem to be down on power compared to the Red Bull/Honda and Ferrari units. The slowest cars in the speed trap at Bahrain had Mercedes PUs and during practice yesterday they swapped Lewis' rear wing for one with less downforce to try and raise the top speed.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The Mercedes PU does seem to be down on power compared to the Red Bull/Honda and Ferrari units. The slowest cars in the speed trap at Bahrain had Mercedes PUs and during practice yesterday they swapped Lewis' rear wing for one with less downforce to try and raise the top speed.
Well that didn’t work out did it?
I’d like to see Perez finish in front of Max, but can’t see RB letting that happen.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Well that didn’t work out did it?
I’d like to see Perez finish in front of Max, but can’t see RB letting that happen.

Well that depends doesn’t it, if Perez is out in front they won’t do anything to disrupt it and risk losing the constructors points.

iDron

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
Obviously George seems to have a better handle on the W13 than Lewis at this point
Don't think this is true. At all practice session this season, at qualifying and the race in Bahrain, Lewis was ahead of George.
He said that he changed something to the car's set up before that qualifying session, and apparently that did not work at all...
There are rumors he will start from the pit lane to be able to change the set-up. Would expect him to match George's performance then in the race, and he should be able to make it well into the points.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Row 11. Sergio Perez 1’28.200
Red Bull
2. Charles Leclerc 1’28.225
Ferrari
Row 23. Carlos Sainz Jnr 1’28.402
Ferrari
4. Max Verstappen 1’28.461
Red Bull
Row 35. Esteban Ocon 1’29.068
Alpine
6. George Russell 1’29.104
Mercedes
Row 47. Fernando Alonso 1’29.147
Alpine
8. Valtteri Bottas 1’29.183
Alfa Romeo
Row 59. Pierre Gasly 1’29.254
AlphaTauri
10. Kevin Magnussen 1’29.588
Haas
Row 611. Lando Norris 1’29.651
McLaren
12. Zhou Guanyu 1’29.819
Alfa Romeo
Row 713. Lance Stroll 1’31.009
Aston Martin
14. Daniel Ricciardo 1’29.773
McLaren
Row 815. Lewis Hamilton 1’30.343
Mercedes
16. Alexander Albon 1’30.492
Williams
Row 917. Nico Hulkenberg 1’30.543
Aston Martin
18. Nicholas Latifi 1’31.817
Williams
Row 1019. Yuki Tsunoda No time
AlphaTauri

3 spot grid penalty for Danny Ric...

No Mick...

Reactions: Phil77354

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Correct, and straight line speed was still fairly far off Ferrari and RBR. To me anyway that indicated a lack of power. Toto was quoted yesterday that they still have room to go in the new engine. I’d be curious what is holding it back.

The fuel rumors could be a ruse for the horrible “Aero Porpoising” they still have on the straights.

I‘d imaging turning up the power to increase straight line speed would be too hard on the chassis. Maybe they really do need a completely new Aero Package?

While I’ve always been transparent that F1 is about the cars and engineering to me, I must admit I do feel for Lewis giving it everything he has on those long straights being tossed up and down in that chassis like a Rag Doll. There is no way his spine doesn’t suffer from that.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Sainz' Ferrari was bouncing like a trampoline along the front straight, as well. I wonder if the Ferrari's dampeners just deal with it better so it does not upset the car as much and they can still run at full-song for maximum speed.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Sainz' Ferrari was bouncing like a trampoline along the front straight, as well. I wonder if the Ferrari's dampeners just deal with it better so it does not upset the car as much and they can still run at full-song for maximum speed.

That’s plausible. It could be their design or location on the chassis.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
That was a great and exciting race. It was nice to see so much sportsmanship and actual racing.

Funny when Lewis isn’t in the race there is no drama and just good camaraderie and racing. Long may it last, it will be a great and exciting seasons.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Yes - good camaraderie for sure. I noticed Max and Charles talking together after the race, so good to see that.

The strategy considerations were also fascinating, watching the final handful of laps and how both Max and Charles used the DRS at different points on the track. It seemed possible that Charles could have passed Max again if he had a couple more laps. I hope that other tracks will offer similar situations where the corners and DRS zones are placed such that the teams and drivers will need to be strategizing how they are used, as we saw here. Great stuff.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Wow! Phew! I need to catch my breath! What an epic race! Fantastic to see Max win but for me Charles was a bit better driver, but what a battle, and then that Ocon, Alonso, Bottas, Magnussen fight! I was glued to it! I was gutted for Alonso and how weird three cars failed on the same lap?

Charles and Max have raced each other all their lives, they’ve grown up together in the sport so as the commentators said they each know each other’s tricks.

For me driver of the day is Alonso.

Perez was a bit of an idiot to push Carlos off at that safety car and when he was behind at that safety car line.
And again Mercedes’ and especially Lewis seemed to end up in their positions due to pure luck. The mid field challenging and overtaking Lewis.

If the rest of the season is like this, it could be the best in history nearly! These new rules and cars are doing exactly what we all wanted! Actual racing and even the drivers are loving it.

Reactions: zagato27
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.