Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I would probably stop watching if that was the case… boring.

F1 will eventually merge with Formula E as F1 is an R&D series for the car industry unless it changes its business model. If it goes back to a privateer high octane racing category, then many of its environmental and consumer technology initiatives will have to be scrapped. You’ll also lose the likes of Mercedes and other potential manufacturers. Ferrari would probably stay due to the sport being a marketing avenue.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
F1 will eventually merge with Formula E as F1 is an R&D series for the car industry unless it changes its business model. If it goes back to a privateer high octane racing category, then many of its environmental and consumer technology initiatives will have to be scrapped. You’ll also lose the likes of Mercedes and other potential manufacturers. Ferrari would probably stay due to the sport being a marketing avenue.

I wouldn’t follow or watch it then anyway, I remember they said they have no plans for electric anyway at present, they want to look into bio fuels more. Electric cars are plain boring no matter what type they are.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I wouldn’t follow or watch it then anyway, I remember they said they have no plans for electric anyway at present, they want to look into bio fuels more. Electric cars are plain boring no matter what type they are.

I think it’ll be at least a decade before F1 goes electric to be honest, if they do. I know the German manufacturers VAG and BMW were investing in emission neutral petrol engine technology which I think is a great alternative to electric. I am hoping the car industry has a healthy split between those technologies and hopefully that would keep F1 away from a fully electric formula.

I don’t dislike electric in terms of performance and speed, but the lack of sound would take away the experience for viewers and fans. My first experience of watching F1 live in person was Silverstone 1993 and contrast that to even now with the dull unimpressive sounding hybrid engines, and you realise how great engines used to sound. Formula E produces some tasty looking racing but it lacks the power feel for me and I’ve ceased watching it.

Reactions: Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I think it’ll be at least a decade before F1 goes electric to be honest, if they do. I know the German manufacturers VAG and BMW were investing in emission neutral petrol engine technology which I think is a great alternative to electric. I am hoping the car industry has a healthy split between those technologies and hopefully that would keep F1 away from a fully electric formula.

I don’t dislike electric in terms of performance and speed, but the lack of sound would take away the experience for viewers and fans. My first experience of watching F1 live in person was Silverstone 1993 and contrast that to even now with the dull unimpressive sounding hybrid engines, and you realise how great engines used to sound. Formula E produces some tasty looking racing but it lacks the power feel for me and I’ve ceased watching it.

Totally agree, I've been to GoodWood a few times, and yes you have the Rimac cars worth 2 million and the fastest car there, but when it goes up the hill all you hear is a woosh and the tyre noise, compared to a V12 super car it's just no comparison in the emotions.
Watching the old F1 cars especially the V10 and V12 ones is magical with the noise they make!
It's a shame it's where it's all heading, and here in the U.K. just ridiculous considering the lack of power plants we have and will do for a couple of decades yet.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
. . . Electric cars are plain boring no matter what type they are.
Why, just because they don't have the same engine noise? I look forward to the day when one can enjoy high performance racing without using hearing protection.

I thought electric cars were dumb a few decades ago when they were impractical and just plain odd. These days I'm finding myself very impressed with how they are now becoming competitive and desirable. I'd hardly call the Porsche Taycan boring, and there are plenty of other electric cars that are also quite interesting.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Why, just because they don't have the same engine noise? I look forward to the day when one can enjoy high performance racing without using hearing protection.

I thought electric cars were dumb a few decades ago when they were impractical and just plain odd. These days I'm finding myself very impressed with how they are now becoming competitive and desirable. I'd hardly call the Porsche Taycan boring, and there are plenty of other electric cars that are also quite interesting.

They are boring, they damage the environment due to the batteries, they have no emotion. They also drive very differently as they have no gears and you can't interact with them in the same way. Plus you have to spend thousands or sell the car at an extreme loss once the battery packs had it.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
They are boring, they damage the environment due to the batteries, they have no emotion. They also drive very differently as they have no gears and you can't interact with them in the same way. Plus you have to spend thousands or sell the car at an extreme loss once the battery packs had it.
Well, I respect your point of view even though I don't agree with it! It is new technology, we don't know how it will develop, and in any event change is always difficult to adapt to. It's not the main purpose of this thread so I'll leave it at that. Thanks.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Well, I respect your point of view even though I don't agree with it! It is new technology, we don't know how it will develop, and in any event change is always difficult to adapt to. It's not the main purpose of this thread so I'll leave it at that. Thanks.

It’s a moot point anyway, because no one will actually drive anyway in the not too distant future, give it 20 years and it’ll all be self driving electric cars everywhere. I only hope F1 doesn’t end up being a battle of robot drivers.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
LeClerc on pole to Max in second. Going to be the theme for the year. Good showing for Norris in 4th. Lewis in 5th.
Aston Martin mechanics really clocking up the overtime this weekend. After a race to get them ready for qualifying Latife managed to collide with Stroll. Not sure what the pair of them were thinking.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
LeClerc on pole to Max in second. Going to be the theme for the year. Good showing for Norris in 4th. Lewis in 5th.
Aston Martin mechanics really clocking up the overtime this weekend. After a race to get them ready for qualifying Latife managed to collide with Stroll. Not sure what the pair of them were thinking.

I’ll watch that later. Sounds like it was very good.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Not sure what the pair of them were thinking.

IMO, that one was on Latife.

With Alonso's shunt, that was the end of qualifying for me since my DVR recording ended before the restart. Could have finished on the ESPN app, but easier just to check the F1 site.

Good on LeClerc and Max, considering how strong Perez looked. What happened to Sainz to end up 9th?

Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

With Alonso's shunt, that was the end of qualifying for me since my DVR recording ended before the restart. Could have finished on the ESPN app, but easier just to check the F1 site.

Good on LeClerc and Max, considering how strong Perez looked. What happened to Sainz to end up 9th?
Not really sure on Sainz. Didn’t show it. He was on for a better lap when the session was red flagged.
Of course Lewis in 5th is a full second behind the pole man. That’s what you get with massive changes. Some teams end up winners, some losers.

ipsedixit

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
If Qualifying was any indication, tomorrow's race will be fantastic.

Can't wait.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Stroll was the sole cause of the accident with Latifi, he wasn’t even looking in his mirrors properly and he wasn’t even on the racing line, just literally for no reason what so ever cut across and hit Latifi. It’s racing rules remember not road rules.

Bad news for Bottas he has had a second new gearbox, second of the four they are allowed all season before penalties, Sabuer have designed it, first time they’ve made their own G1 gearbox.

And RB need to be much better with their comms telling Max when Lewis is on a fast lap! drivers don’t know if they aren’t told. Luckily they got away without incident.

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Perez making silly mistakes that will cost him, and Alonso! Man he could of been on pole! Reliability issues robbing us of some truly huge upsets.
LeClerc was on fire! So fast. Will be a good race tomorrow and it's also noticeable McLaren are ahead of Mercedes using the same engine.

Watching some slo-mos the cars are literally sliding across the track! Drivers really pushing them.

I should add I'm super stoked to see McLaren and Lando in 4th, can they turn it into a podium?

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

Sainz made a bad mistake on one of the corners that really threw him off, he nearly went off the track. Hence his 9th place. He was on a flier too.

ipsedixit

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
It's amazing how much Leclerc has matured as a driver over the course of a year.

Of course, the last year that Ferrari took off no doubt helped with this year's chassis development.

Still, great showing so far for Charles.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Another DNF for Max. Something is amiss with that RB.
Meanwhile LeClerc has a bigger championship lead than any one managed last year after three races.
Good showing for Mercedes’. But think it’s more to do with the track than development. And yes Russel did beat Lewis. But only because he pited under the SC. Let’s not have another week of Lewis is finished etc. Why do the press live to pull down a guy at the top.
Ultimately not sure the changes to the track made for better racing. But there you go.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I’ve concluded I really dislike Stroll this year, he’s been pretty arrogant this year and he is heading for a race ban due to his points on his licence. He seems to be driving under last years rules.

RB poor reliability again, but LeClerc was on fire today. Not literally like Max though, so I’m not sure he would have caught him anyway? Still it would have been blooming exciting to see him try, shame.

For me driver of the day was Alonso! Fantastic driving from the old wise fox! And a lot of unforced drover errors this race too, shame Magnussen couldn’t get higher or Bottas as he was quick. Mercedes’ were punching above their weight. Very cheeky to challenge the RB’s too when they are so far off the pace still.

Aston Martin should forget the race and Sainz too. Onto the next.

What were McKaren doing though? Right up the Mercedes rear ends but made zero challenges really?

Last edited:

ipsedixit

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
What has happened to Hamilton? I thought he was the GOAT?

How is it that the GOAT is 5th, when his teammate, running the same chassis is, um, 2nd?

Last edited:
  • Wow

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
What has happened to Hamilton? I thought he was the GOAT?

How is it that the GOAT is 5th, when his teammate, running the same chassis is, um, 2nd?
Not a Hamilton fanboy but he does deserve the GOAT moniker. The race car is letting him down it's not his driving skill. Mercedes just hasn't figured it out yet. Not sure if it's engine or the suspension or maybe both. Other teams running the Merc engine are back in the pack too. BTW, his teammate finished 3rd not second.

ipsedixit

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
Not a Hamilton fanboy but he does deserve the GOAT moniker. The race car is letting him down it's not his driving skill. Mercedes just hasn't figured it out yet. Not sure if it's engine or the suspension or maybe both. Other teams running the Merc engine are back in the pack too. BTW, his teammate finished 3rd not second.
I was talking about overall standings, not the Australian GP finish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.