Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Australia next, and a new track layout with faster corners!

One thing I like with the F1 TV Pro app is they start the race from the formation lap, no pit walks, driver interviews, faffing around. They do a show after the race though and other interviews etc. liking it so far. And the commentary is way better then Sky, not sure who does it but it’s British people. No bias at all.

ipsedixit

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
Good to see that the new rules this year for car design has really allowed for more passing. The reduction in "dirty air" has really been noticeable, both in terms of strategy (with DRS) and pit stops.

Good to see.

And, yes, if today's race is a preview of what's to come this year, then bring it on.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Just watched the highlights. Good close battle at the end. The braking at the DRS line was interesting. Can see there being incidents if that continues.
Max had his usual moan about Charles closing up under the yellow flag. It’s not fair. Don’t make me laugh!
Anyway entertaining race. Glad the changes are letting the cars follow much closer.
Will be interesting to see how two weeks development for Mercedes’ pans out. They gambled on set up for Lewis and it didn’t pay off. They are just too slow at the moment. But I expect that to change by the time we are in Europe.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
F1 coming to Vegas. ??? Hardly any corners lol.

1648706370793.jpeg

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Seems like a match made in hell. It’s not going to be a classic. I wish they would apply the same principle to their choice of tracks as they have the redesigned cars. How can we make the racing better, not where is there a big payday.
Unfortunately cash is king.

At least it won’t be televised at 4am down here like the first 2 races. ?

Next race is in my home town. ?? GO GO GO!!! ? ?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Unfortunately cash is king.

At least it won’t be televised at 4am down here like the first 2 races. ?

Next race is in my home town. ?? GO GO GO!!! ? ?
The next one isnt great for the time slot for me. I like the European races. They have those on at a reasonable hour!
The real question is will two weeks of development time and data to analyse give Mercedes any answers to Ferrari and RB? I think too early still. Especially with the logistics of Australia. It’s a long way to get parts there etc.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
The next one isnt great for the time slot for me. I like the European races. They have those on at a reasonable hour!
Don’t mind the European races, they start around 11pm here.

The real question is will two weeks of development time and data to analyse give Mercedes any answers to Ferrari and RB? I think too early still. Especially with the logistics of Australia. It’s a long way to get parts there etc.

Hope so, like Mercedes, be nice to see a 3 way battle for the championship.

Lewis has been really poor so far, hopefully him and the silver arrows can turn it around very quickly.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don’t think Lewis has been poor in himself, he was in a place to capitalise on a podium in the first race after unexpected retirements and he was unfortunate in the last race with the pit lane closing just as he needed to pit. The strategy just didn’t work out. The car is not where it needs to be, but that’s F1 and no team gets it right every season for extended periods of time.

What I don’t get is the criticism he’s getting for his ability. An ageing driver who has broken so many records is now being questioned because he’s in the fourth or fifth fastest car. Meanwhile all the drivers who were in this position over the last few years but now get to show their talents in faster cars are suddenly better drivers? Make no mistake, unless your Dad is an oil tycoon and bought you a seat, no driver gets to F1 and stays there for years winning races and championships unless they are amongst the best in the world. It’s clear the likes of LeClerc, Verstappen, Sainz and every other driver in the top teams are worthy of where they are and are capable potential champions. The car is an equally important element of that.

Reactions: ericwn

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I don’t think Lewis has been poor in himself, he was in a place to capitalise on a podium in the first race after unexpected retirements and he was unfortunate in the last race with the pit lane closing just as he needed to pit. The strategy just didn’t work out. The car is not where it needs to be, but that’s F1 and no team gets it right every season for extended periods of time.

What I don’t get is the criticism he’s getting for his ability. An ageing driver who has broken so many records is now being questioned because he’s in the fourth or fifth fastest car. Meanwhile all the drivers who were in this position over the last few years but now get to show their talents in faster cars are suddenly better drivers? Make no mistake, unless your Dad is an oil tycoon and bought you a seat, no driver gets to F1 and stays there for years winning races and championships unless they are amongst the best in the world. It’s clear the likes of LeClerc, Verstappen, Sainz and every other driver in the top teams are worthy of where they are and are capable potential champions. The car is an equally important element of that.
At the last race they gambled on set up and strategy. When your car isn't where it needs to be, that's what you have to do to try and be competitive. They went with a better set up for George so he was less compromised.

Of course the press narrative is fading champion. They just love to make something out when it clearly isn't the case. The truth is the car isn't up to the job right now. Nothing to do with the driver.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
  • Sad
Reactions: LFC2020

iDron

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
At the last race they gambled on set up and strategy. When your car isn't where it needs to be, that's what you have to do to try and be competitive. They went with a better set up for George so he was less compromised.

Of course the press narrative is fading champion. They just love to make something out when it clearly isn't the case. The truth is the car isn't up to the job right now. Nothing to do with the driver.
I actually think he did as much as he could in the first two races.
- Bahrain: Two DNFs certainly helped, nonetheless you don't end up on the podium if your driving is *****... Thats most he could get out of this car and he delivered. Other drivers might struggle a lot more in a bad car.
- Saudi: Before the second safety car, he actually was in 6th, starting from 16th. This is really good, given how bad his car was that weekend. safety car/lane closure just happened at the absolute worst moment. If Alonso wouldn't have blocked the pit lane, he might well have finished 6th.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Two races in and here is my take...

Racing seems a little better if not much better.

Still don't 100% like the look of the cars. The front wing is just way too high off the ground for my liking. It seems to me they were a little lower before ...no?
And I feel like the cars are starting to get an "Indy Car" look to them. RAUS!

Reactions: Pezimak

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The next one isn't great for the time slot for me. I like the European races. They have those on at a reasonable hour!

As a Pacific West Coaster, the EU races were always hell for me because they kick off at like 4-5AM.

Saudi Arabia at 10AM was nice. ;)

What I don’t get is the criticism he’s getting for his ability. An ageing driver who has broken so many records is now being questioned because he’s in the fourth or fifth fastest car.

The British Press with Lewis strike me as being similar to the Italian Press with Ferrari - when they perform well, they are lauded as the GOAT and when they stumble, they are pilloried as abject failures and embarrassments to the nation.

What an utterly boring circuit, but that's what you get for a street circuit in Las Vegas...

That's what you get for street circuits, in general, IMO.

Reactions: Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Two races in and here is my take...

Racing seems a little better if not much better.

Still don't 100% like the look of the cars. The front wing is just way too high off the ground for my liking. It seems to me they were a little lower before ...no?
And I feel like the cars are starting to get an "Indy Car" look to them. RAUS!
Nnooooo not an Indy car look! Can kinda see your point though. But I have to say I like the look of them especially the rear wings, the Merc looks a bit odd though with its tiny side pods, and a couple of others aren't too attractive.
Still they have all the clever little aero bits on them that provide endless details like a Swiss watch.

I think the racing is massively improved so far... I hope it continues.

Reactions: pachyderm

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Well this is interesting. I find it baffling that Audi/Porsche is considering going back to F1. That's a bunch of money to spend in a time when the auto industry is changing from ICE to EV's. Although VW group is heading in that direction I believe that they are behind the curve and to spend a huge amount to buy then run in F1 seems a bit foolish. Currently it takes VW 20 hours to build a car while Tesla is taking 10 hours. VW's goal is 10 but to get there they will have change they way they operate. Downsize their workforce? Gigacasting? They will also have to invest in new plants as the old ICE plants just aren't cost effective to refit as EV plants. To do that takes money, A LOT OF MONEY. Then there's the surging cost of battery materials. Once again Tesla is way ahead of everyone else having contracted for nickel etc for long term and way below the surging current costs. If the move is for advertising it still doesn't make sense. I don't buy Red Bull, Crowdstrike, and Rolex is seriously out of the question. I do shop at Kroger (yeah, they're in NASCAR) and I do like M&Ms but it's not because of badging on NASCAR. Don't get me wrong, I love F1 but I equate it to owning a boat....a hole you throw money into. Just my .02.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well this is interesting. I find it baffling that Audi/Porsche is considering going back to F1. That's a bunch of money to spend in a time when the auto industry is changing from ICE to EV's. Although VW group is heading in that direction I believe that they are behind the curve and to spend a huge amount to buy then run in F1 seems a bit foolish. Currently it takes VW 20 hours to build a car while Tesla is taking 10 hours. VW's goal is 10 but to get there they will have change they way they operate. Downsize their workforce? Gigacasting? They will also have to invest in new plants as the old ICE plants just aren't cost effective to refit as EV plants. To do that takes money, A LOT OF MONEY. Then there's the surging cost of battery materials. Once again Tesla is way ahead of everyone else having contracted for nickel etc for long term and way below the surging current costs. If the move is for advertising it still doesn't make sense. I don't buy Red Bull, Crowdstrike, and Rolex is seriously out of the question. I do shop at Kroger (yeah, they're in NASCAR) and I do like M&Ms but it's not because of badging on NASCAR. Don't get me wrong, I love F1 but I equate it to owning a boat....a hole you throw money into. Just my .02.
Does seem strange agreed. But I'm not sure what the future for F1 will be, but I would say ICE engines are here to stay in F1 for the next 10 years at least.

Also it takes VW 15 hours to build a car.
Then 5 for it to pass quality control.
Tesla build it quicker and skip the quality control! :p

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well this is interesting. I find it baffling that Audi/Porsche is considering going back to F1.

As I understand it, they have wanted to get back into F1 since the late 2010s and pulled out of WEC in order to focus on F1, but "Dieselgate" scuttled the F1 program and they instead went into Formula E as a PR move.

Interesting that Audi is the marque considering the history of McLaren and TAG-Porsche during the Turbo Years and with TAG still having an ownership stake in the team.

I suppose Audi is a better match for owning McLaren Automotive than Porsche so having Audi being the engine supplier to McLaren F1 would create those all important "brand synergies".

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
As I understand it, they have wanted to get back into F1 since the late 2010s and pulled out of WEC in order to focus on F1, but "Dieselgate" scuttled the F1 program and they instead went into Formula E as a PR move.

Interesting that Audi is the marque considering the history of McLaren and TAG-Porsche during the Turbo Years and with TAG still having an ownership stake in the team.

I suppose Audi is a better match for owning McLaren Automotive than Porsche so having Audi being the engine supplier to McLaren F1 would create those all important "brand synergies".

It’s strange that TAG parted ways with Tag Heuer and kept its interests in McLaren. I think they still own a quarter of the team. Audi are supposedly investing a lot of money into emission neutral petrol engines which suggests the electric future of the car industry is not completely bought into by the big European players. F1 might be a good platform to promote this in the future.

Reactions: pachyderm

ipsedixit

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
This explains some of the rationale for VW/Porsche (re)entering F1.

TL;DR: F1 plans to shift to 100% sustainable fuels and a shift of focus to more electrical power by 2026.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

TL;DR: F1 plans to shift to 100% sustainable fuels and a shift of focus to more electrical power by 2026.

boo

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

I heard rumours about this a good couple of years ago, it makes perfect sense, because the Sports Car series scrapped the prototype car class, and Porsche and Audi dominated that and used it to develop tech. So outside of Formula E that Audi attends, not sure about Porsche, they don’t do much development racing I don’t think, sure they do GT racing and Touring Cars. The rumours are they may very well team up with Red Bull, but they may not also. A lot of tech is developed from F1 other then just the electric motors and systems, but as said they have money to burn as they don’t do the prototype SC racers anymore.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see an Audi engine in the RB and Porsche racing an entire team and car. If they can prove to the board it’ll increase sales and image, and deflate Mercedes, I’m sure they’ll do it.

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

I would probably stop watching if that was the case… boring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.