Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
It’s the way Christian moans that gets me. But agree they all take their turn. Personally I’d like to see more racing and less team principle radio. That is not what I tune in for.

I agree. Horner does tend to whine, but Toto is so up front about Mercedes influence in F1 that he can act like “Go ahead, take a shot. I’ll just knock you out.”

I‘m not going to hide the fact that I am elated to see Mercedes Ego popped with the W13. I feel bad for Lewis though. It’s really going to drain him to keep it in contention this year. At least until the break.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I agree. Horner does tend to whine, but Toto is so up front about Mercedes influence in F1 that he can act like “Go ahead, take a shot. I’ll just knock you out.”

I‘m not going to hide the fact that I am elated to see Mercedes Ego popped with the W13. I feel bad for Lewis though. It’s really going to drain him to keep it in contention this year. At least until the break.
Of course if Lewis and Mercedes’ aren’t competitive, they may well think about pulling out. F1 isn’t cheap and with a push towards electric cars, isn’t the influence it used to be for road cars.

• Wow
Reactions: pachyderm

Grey66

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2018
London
Can't see Lewis getting on the podium today unless a Ferrari or RB don't finish. He may actually be forced to defend a fair bit from the Haas and Alfa's behind. All depends who is set up more for the race than qualifying.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Can't see Lewis getting on the podium today unless a Ferrari or RB don't finish. He may actually be forced to defend a fair bit from the Haas and Alfa's behind. All depends who is set up more for the race than qualifying.
I'mnot saying you're wrong... but I'm not counting him out... and I hope you're right about both Mercs!

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
That is how I see it as well. If the qualifying times were closer, then maybe the Mercedes would have a greater chance. But looking at the gap between both Mercedes, and the Ferraris and Red Bulls, it seems considerable to me. Lewis will also need to deal with more traffic than the Ferraris. Should be a good race at the front between Red Bull and Ferrari.

Russell was almost a full second behind Lewis in qualifying. That must be disappointing, unless there is something about how they have their two cars set up and different race strategies that is going on.

• Haha

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
The pre-race banter is as usual then lol. I really really hope Ferrari spoil the party today and this season, a three team battle would be epic, with proper wheel to wheel racing.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Lewis moans, tyres are rubbish, handlings rubbish, this is rubbish that’s rubbish oh look I’ve won, again. And you won’t hear Horner’s radio chatter now, only the managers can contact the directors or whoever they radio now, but I’m sure we’ll hear Lewis still.

You don’t mind Max or any of the other drivers moaning, just Lewis?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Comments on the early race

Much like Mrs. Thatcher, "the tires' not for turning".

Deep braking does not seem to be a good strategy, at least early in the runs.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Comments on the early race

Much like Mrs. Thatcher, "the tires' not for turning".

Deep braking does not seem to be a good strategy, at least early in the runs.

Mercedes' isn't working and neither is their strategy, but the cars are MUCH closer together and we are getting some fantastic overtaking! The new regs seem to be working as intended.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Interesting to see even with DRS down the front straight Hamilton did not just cruise past KMag in the Haas but needed almost the entire DRS zone to comfortably get past him for the first corner.

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
  1. Ferrari has the complete package to start the season and Haas and Alfa are benefitting, as well.
  2. Despite the double DNF, RBR still looked very strong.
  3. Mercedes clearly is behind Ferrari and RBR, but they have enormous engineering talent so I expect them to recover soon.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
First: Congratulations to Ferrari. They are back. 1st 1-2 since 2019.
Outstanding car. Superb drive by Charles, great drive by Carlos. ?

Second: Now my fears are confirmed about Red Bull. The power unit is the weakness. Red Bull Racing Engines is not the same as factory Honda power even with all of Honda‘s unofficial support. It’s going to be an issue for the RB18.

Third: Wasn’t all that impressed with the racing other than the starting laps and post Safety Car. Cars are too slow in the slow corners, and DRS is a tad to weak for my liking. I don’t see the racing staying close up front on the long runs. Will be interesting to see how the tires hold up on a less abrasive track. This should help on long runs.

Fourth: Hats off to Lewis and George for their finish even with the help from the RB18’s. I’m sure they had their hands full.

On to Jeddah…………….

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
That’s rubbish. Plenty of drivers are vocal on the radio including your beloved Verstappen. Glass houses.

When others on here and Lewis fans don’t say Lewis moans a lot, as they do, then you can call it glass houses, however the facts would currently dictate it isn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyb3rdud3

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Max is doing his fair share of whinging this race, too. :p

I think it was pretty justified considering his car failed, he said it wasn’t right and he was 100% correct.

What a race but Red Bull.. what bad luck! They are supposed to have Honda helping them this year still but that doesn’t look good at all for 3 DNF’s due to failures. Lots of work to be done there, not looking good though.

Ferrari were text book, I think the Ferrari engines will dominate over Mercedes this year, teams say the mid range mechanical grip from the Ferrari engine is tremendous and it shows. Great win for them though.

Mercedes we’re miles off the pace and they won’t make that back easily possibly all the season with the new regs. Lewis was more or less the same amount of time off the pace as he has lead a lot of races by, total reversal. That safety car and RB’s poor reliability gifted him 3rd place.

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
First: Congratulations to Ferrari. They are back. 1st 1-2 since 2019.
Outstanding car. Superb drive by Charles, great drive by Carlos. ?

Second: Now my fears are confirmed about Red Bull. The power unit is the weakness. Red Bull Racing Engines is not the same as factory Honda power even with all of Honda‘s unofficial support. It’s going to be an issue for the RB18.

Third: Wasn’t all that impressed with the racing other than the starting laps and post Safety Car. Cars are too slow in the slow corners, and DRS is a tad to weak for my liking. I don’t see the racing staying close up front on the long runs. Will be interesting to see how the tires hold up on a less abrasive track. This should help on long runs.

Fourth: Hats off to Lewis and George for their finish even with the help from the RB18’s. I’m sure they had their hands full.

On to Jeddah…………….

It’s supposed to still be a Honda engine more or less with lots of support from Honda for this year only, but it’s obviously got some serious issues.
I was impressed with the racing otherwise, much closer then it has been, once they get more comfortable with the cars I think we’ll see some great battles as they were right up the chuffs of each other.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
It’s supposed to still be a Honda engine more or less with lots of support from Honda for this year only, but it’s obviously got some serious issues.
I was impressed with the racing otherwise, much closer then it has been, once they get more comfortable with the cars I think we’ll see some great battles as they were right up the chuffs of each other.

I'll reevaluate at the break. ;)

Reactions: Pezimak

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Great to hear the "World Champion" crying like a baby. Nobody was there to hand him the win today and he wasn't happy. Well done Ferarri, but still to be convinced the regulations will make a huge difference to the on-track racing. Early days though and good to see some other cars picking up points.

• Haha

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I'll reevaluate at the break. ;)

Well we'll either have some exciting racing, or more cars breaking down by then. Or boring racing still and one team running away with it still.

Will definitely be an interesting run to the break.
But have hope the racing will come :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.