Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Credit to Lewis for going silent. There's nothing to be gained for him to say anything publicly. I also can't imagine how much work he put into the season and needs to put in for the 2022 season. How do you move forward after this?

I don't know any non-casual F1 fan that didn't know what was going to happen the second the green flag waved on the final lap. Prior to that, Lewis put in an exceptional performance. Brought the goods when the pressure was at its highest. Fan or not of Lewis and the mercedes team, you have to respect what he did for 57 laps.
I think Lewis would have been criticised for posting anything in social media even if it was a picture of his dog so going silent was the best thing he could do. He must have been massively disappointed and had a lot to think about.

I haven’t seen much talk if the huge points deficit he over turned in the last 5 races to go into Abu Dhabi on equal points. Also the fact he missed out on pole but beat Max at turn one and commanded a dominant lead for 57 of 58 laps. He certainly showed his ability and handling under pressure.

I think the pressure will be in Max to win a title on form alone going forward. I know he’s chuffed with this one as anybody would be but there’s an element of doubt hanging over it and it was a scrappy season from him in quite a few places. I think he needs to focus on pressure management and respecting his rivals in his race craft. He’s got the potential to be a world champion no doubt if he can align these skills. I would like to see a mix up of the order next year though with younger drivers in the mix.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I think the pressure will be in Max to win a title on form alone going forward.

Let's be fair though - Max's "form" kept him in the title hunt the entire season. Going into Silverstone, he had a 32 point lead in the WDC and it was the tussle with Lewis that switched it around - Max DNF'd and Lewis won, erasing 26 points of that deficit and bringing Lewis back into contention. Post-Silverstone, both drivers won four events each going into ABU and Max scored 92 points to Lewis' 97 between HUN and SAU (not including Fastest Lap points).

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Let's be fair though - Max's "form" kept him in the title hunt the entire season. Going into Silverstone, he had a 32 point lead in the WDC and it was the tussle with Lewis that switched it around - Max DNF'd and Lewis won, erasing 26 points of that deficit and bringing Lewis back into contention. Post-Silverstone, both drivers won four events each going into ABU and Max scored 92 points to Lewis' 97 between HUN and SAU (not including Fastest Lap points).

Absolutely but it was times like Silverstone, Monza, Saudi Arabia and even Abu Dhabi where under pressure he often made contact with or pushed his closest rival off the circuit therefore I feel his composure slipped at times. We’ve all argued on here about Silverstone but I still think he shared the blame on that one and the points lost were as a result of that. Taking himself out at Monza instead of beating Lewis with the pace Red Bull had also lost him valuable points. He won the most races, lead the most laps but somehow managed to let Lewis out score him in the last quarter of the season and pretty much lost the championship until the final lap of the season.

It was a scrappy season and not in the most positive way. I know this is exciting for some, but I hope we don’t have the same antics in 2022.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Seems to be some dispute about payments for the 6 sprint races this year. The teams might not sign off on them.
Let’s hope so. Happy to lose that gimmick.
I didn't watch any of the sprint races. Haven't really tried to understand what the point was. I guess I'm just old fashioned, I try to catch qualifying when I can and then the race itself. That's enough for me!

Not sure I've seen much discussion here regarding the changes to the cars for 2022. I'd be interested in what we expect the impact will be and how the teams have done in preparing their new cars for this season. Bigger wheels interest me although I'm not clear what was behind that change. I did see a short article on Pirelli's work to develop tires that are supposed to be more reliable. Lots of interesting technical stuff to think about between now and first race!

Umma

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2020
I used to wish I had friends that liked F1, but with the influx of new, and younger viewers, that dream came true!

This year I hope the weather is nice May 8.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Seems to be some dispute about payments for the 6 sprint races this year. The teams might not sign off on them.
Let’s hope so. Happy to lose that gimmick.
With you there, really don't see the point of it, especially alongside the push for reduced costs and cleaner motorsport. Adding another race adds to cost; more fuel, more tyres, larger carbon footprint etc.

Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Unless your going to win the sprint race for the 3 points, it’s pretty much a pointless exercise. Nobody wants to damage their car before the race. The only people that benefit are those at the circuit on the Saturday.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
David Coulthard was surprised and hadn’t heard this before at this level. Anyway, neither of us are ever going to change our opinions on 2021 and for me it will always be a season decided off the track. It’s unfortunate after a thrilling year but life goes on. We can discuss it for years and likely will, but it won’t change the outcome. At the least I think the FIA will acknowledge poor race management. This will be done either in their report or in their actions (moving Masi to another role) I am sure.

I wouldn't worry, F1 being F1 I'm more then sure we will all have more controversy to talk about this season ?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Unless your going to win the sprint race for the 3 points, it’s pretty much a pointless exercise. Nobody wants to damage their car before the race. The only people that benefit are those at the circuit on the Saturday.

That's the thing. It's just an open invitation to wreck your car and put you from the front to the back of the grid, and mean the mechanics have to rebuild your car.
Just stick to qualifying, forget the sprint race.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I wouldn't worry, F1 being F1 I'm more then sure we will all have more controversy to talk about this season

Indeed, 2021 is written off now for me but the report will still be interesting still. I don’t want to see controversy this season though. I want good team battles, a close fight within Mercedes’ and the season to be won by the driver who legitimately scores the most points. I don’t watch live races and only catch highlights but hope it’s a good one.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Indeed, 2021 is written off now for me but the report will still be interesting still. I don’t want to see controversy this season though. I want good team battles, a close fight within Mercedes’ and the season to be won by the driver who legitimately scores the most points. I don’t watch live races and only catch highlights but hope it’s a good one.

I have a feeling George is going to mix it up, we will have to see but I’m not so certain he’s going to hold back?
But this season is going to be a good one with all the changes, I hope, more so as you never know till you actually try it, and a lot of new things are being tried this year.

Reading the posts above not long till we get to see the first of the new cars.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I have a feeling George is going to mix it up, we will have to see but I’m not so certain he’s going to hold back?
But this season is going to be a good one with all the changes, I hope, more so as you never know till you actually try it, and a lot of new things are being tried this year.

Reading the posts above not long till we get to see the first of the new cars.

I think he is too. The problem is the first time he beats Lewis we’ll see an influx of morons across social media suggesting Lewis was never that good, whilst ignoring the fact he’s past his prime, and 37 years old versus a keen fast 23 year old. Lewis is still good but is on the decline of his career now in my opinion. He’s still good enough to be world champion though and you can bet he’ll be giving it one last shot this year. I expect him to retire at the end of the season.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I think he is too. The problem is the first time he beats Lewis we’ll see an influx of morons across social media suggesting Lewis was never that good, whilst ignoring the fact he’s past his prime, and 37 years old versus a keen fast 23 year old. Lewis is still good but is on the decline of his career now in my opinion. He’s still good enough to be world champion though and you can bet he’ll be giving it one last shot this year. I expect him to retire at the end of the season.

Well he'll have the choice of retiring or driving for a lesser team Like Seb and Alonso do. If Lewis isn't able to keep up with the young ones, although the car helps him, he will start to fade from Max and George etc, just age at the end of the day. It gets us all lol.
Lewis could always have a crack at the Worlds Sports Car series? See if he can win Le Mans. Didn't Alonso do that?

With a lot more off the car parts being standardises this season we will have to see where Lewis ends up.

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Yes, Alonso joined Toyota Gazoo Racing Europe and campaigned in the 2018-2019 WEC winning both the 2018 and 2019 Le Mans 24 Hours and the 2018-2019 WEC championship. He also won the 24 Hours of Daytona in 2019.

Thanks, thought he did. Don't know if that's something Lewis would want to do but it would certainly be something different, a different feather to add to his cap.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Clearly nobody can predict how Lewis will finish out his career. I certainly do can hardly imagine what it is like to compete at that level and have accomplished so much.

I was thinking about recent champions and how they have managed their careers after becoming World Champion.

Sebastian Vettel is a four-time World Champion and he has continued to race for almost a decade following his final championship, at times with competitive cars but more recently has not been competitive at all. Still, he carries on - is it the enjoyment of racing, the financial rewards, or something else that motivates him to continue in F1 even when he surely knows there is little chance of great success.

Fernando Alonso, over 15 years since his second World Championship, after leaving F1 and winning Lemans twice, returns to F1 and places 10th in the drivers standings. Does he continue to race because he really believes that there is going to be a realistic chance for another World Championship, or is it for the love of the racing, the financial rewards, or something else?

Kimi Raikkonen won a single World Championship in 2007, also left F1 for a couple of years and then returned for ten more years in F1, some years i competitive cars and others not. I feel like Kimi was racing for his own satisfaction and enjoyment, and finally left when he decided that he had accomplished everything that he could.

Michael Schumacher also left F1 for a few years and did continue racing for 5 years following his final championship.

Back to Lewis, I wonder what his path will be and if he will follow other past champions who did continue to race after their peak years, for whatever reasons motivated each of them. My guess is that he will take a different path.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Well he'll have the choice of retiring or driving for a lesser team Like Seb and Alonso do. If Lewis isn't able to keep up with the young ones, although the car helps him, he will start to fade from Max and George etc, just age at the end of the day. It gets us all lol.
Lewis could always have a crack at the Worlds Sports Car series? See if he can win Le Mans. Didn't Alonso do that?

With a lot more off the car parts being standardises this season we will have to see where Lewis ends up.

Lewis is 37 and driving one one of the best teams on the grid, can you really see him going to a lesser team at this point if his ability starts to fade? I think he’d retire while he’s at the top. Alonso and Seb went up lesser teams much younger than him because their options dictated that. If Lewis gets beaten this year by George or regularly, I think he’ll retire with dignity.

When Lewis was in a poorly performing McLaren he showed he can drive around a poor car. It’s a myth the car makes him look better than he is and I challenge anybody to look back through his career and say otherwise. Paddy Lowe said out if all the champions he has worked with, Lewis is the most adaptable driver. You can give him any car and setup and he will adjust himself to suit. He Nigel Mansell was the fastest and you knew he had extracted every bit of speed from it, but Lewis was a dream to work with. I don’t know why many fans don’t read a bit more into the sport as it’s very interesting.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Thanks, thought he did. Don't know if that's something Lewis would want to do but it would certainly be something different, a different feather to add to his cap.

I’d love to see him do that if he wants to continue racing after F1. I think he’s got other interests too though and can see him going into fashion and he’s already heavily involved in that industry. He’s worth over £260m and may want to start a family, who knows?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Lewis is 37 and driving one one of the best teams on the grid, can you really see him going to a lesser team at this point if his ability starts to fade? I think he’d retire while he’s at the top. Alonso and Seb went up lesser teams much younger than him because their options dictated that. If Lewis gets beaten this year by George or regularly, I think he’ll retire with dignity.

When Lewis was in a poorly performing McLaren he showed he can drive around a poor car. It’s a myth the car makes him look better than he is and I challenge anybody to look back through his career and say otherwise. Paddy Lowe said out if all the champions he has worked with, Lewis is the most adaptable driver. You can give him any car and setup and he will adjust himself to suit. He Nigel Mansell was the fastest and you knew he had extracted every bit of speed from it, but Lewis was a dream to work with. I don’t know why many fans don’t read a bit more into the sport as it’s very interesting.

The Mercedes car helps him win races in ways like being the fastest car down the straights. If it wasn’t all the other cars would be challenging him to. It’s got nothing to do with if Lewis can race or not. Lewis doesn’t have the skills to drive a car with the same performance as a Williams and lap fifth place whilst leading the race.
Is performance helps Lewis get on the front row for instance.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.