Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 14?

• Total voters

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
OK! I did it! I cancelled. Ordered the Ultra, delivery 9/23

Here's my game plan. I try the Ultra, and I if I don't like it, I'll return it for the S8. I'm not flush with cash the way @TheYayAreaLiving 🎗 apparently is 🤣
Thinnk you made a good choice for you.

The Ultra seems different enough -- if you've had Apple Watches before -- that if you try it, you'll get a sense if you like it more. If not, you likely will know you'll like any of the other S8s and can return the Ultra for one of those.

While if you only try the S8 now when you're still enthused about the Ultra, you'll never know.

BradLA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
Weird they gave you a QR code.

For me, I'm currently Verizon as well and I simply sign into my account and from here activate on an existing line, and I simply entered my IME2 and was able to activate my iphone this way without the QR code.

Could be different for everyone i suppose?

View attachment 2053895

I'm not really sure, I've only done it one time and just followed their instructions.

I clicked that link under the black box in your screenshot, that "Activate your SIM." The it showed my phone number and a picture of my iPhone 13 Pro Max and said "this phone supports dual sim" or something like that. Then I clicked the phone. It has already been on a physical SIM, so I clicked the option to use eSim instead. Then it had a list of instructions and it included scanning their QR box thing. LOL.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
Sad message but I think I’m leaving the group for this year. :(

I visited the Apple Store to try out a Pro Max one last time before pre-ordering tomorrow, and it reminded me why I got so tired of my XS Max, which was smaller than the Pro Maxes. I find it straining and uncomfortable just to swipe right to go back. My hand got fatigued after a couple minutes of one-handed used. Also, Dynamic Island is super cool, but wow, I forgot how tall Pro Max displays were. It’ll be super inconvenient whenever you want to swipe or hold down on it.

I could justify upgrading two years in a row if I had a change in form factor (larger display and battery going from a Pro to Pro Max), but I can’t justify it going from a Pro to a Pro. And I forgot how much I don’t like having to handle a huge phone on a day to day basis.

Enjoy your new phones y’all! You deserve them and will enjoy them more than me. :)
Good for you figuring out what works best for you.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
Converted my physical sim to eSim today (Verizon). Was a pretty easy process on their website.

Hopefully it's easy to transfer to a new phone next week. Didn't want to have to deal with that on iPhone release weekend when surely many people will be activating eSims for the first time.
Was thinking of doing that, too. Thanks for sharing the positive experience.

Did you call, use the app, or get on the website?

...go into an actual store? Nahhh.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
I'm a Verizon customer and planning to order the black Pro, 256gb. Haven't done a launch day order in a while.. has it historically been easier to order from Apple or Verizon? I do have an 11 pro I want to trade in.

Just looking for what will be easiest and most likely to get a phone as soon as possible. I have a trip coming up and want it before then for the better camera.
One vote for Apple.

Have had issues in the past with Verizon and AT&T; experience with Apple has always been much better. Specifically the Apple Store app.

Reactions: Brad7 and Wolfs

Wolfs

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2020
Mine didn't!
IUP, and I have seen no Apple Card charges, either.
Thank you for the nice message. :) You all are an awesome group of people. I hope to see you all next year too… or maybe in a few hours if I convince myself to get a Pro instead. ;)
Do it!
I agree. I was thinking about that too this morning. I keep thinking today is Tuesday.
Being a short, holiday week doesn't help
Thats a huge size difference between those two. What are you going to do?
And we are back to size mattering again

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
FWIW, I bought the clear MagSafe Apple case for my iPhone in February this year, and have used it every day since. It doesn't appear to have yellowed at all.

It does have some cracks/damage to the case, at the top and bottom, from when I've dropped the phone.
How's the phone after those drops?

And how's the slip factor on that thing? I tried it for like a day or two and thought whoa, slippery. Does it get more grippy or less slippy?

I take good care of my phones and have never hurt a phone in all my years -- it could happen any day. Always used Apple silicone cases, but they don't have white. Was thinking the clear case might let me have my white phone.

Anything in your wisdom to help?

Reactions: spindude

JonnyBravo

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2007
Glendale, CA
I'm a Verizon customer and planning to order the black Pro, 256gb. Haven't done a launch day order in a while.. has it historically been easier to order from Apple or Verizon? I do have an 11 pro I want to trade in.

Just looking for what will be easiest and most likely to get a phone as soon as possible. I have a trip coming up and want it before then for the better camera.
I'm Verizon too. Order through Apple if you want it automatically unlocked and you don't care for any of the Verizon deals. Not sure if it the same now, but when I ordered through Verizon years ago, it was locked to Verizon. It wasn't a hassle asking Verizon to unlock it but its just an extra step. Plus...in theory..Apple should have more inventory.

BradLA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
How's the phone after those drops?

And how's the slip factor on that thing? I tried it for like a day or two and thought whoa, slippery. Does it get more grippy or less slippy?

I take good care of my phones and have never hurt a phone in all my years -- it could happen any day. Always used Apple silicone cases, but they don't have white. Was thinking the clear case might let me have my white phone.

Anything in your wisdom to help?

The phone is perfectly fine, no damage to it at all. The clear case seems to offer good protection.

I agree, it's a little slippery. It doesn't really feel any different from when I first bought it.

With the case on though, it's a lot less slippery than just the iPhone. I could never go case less. For me, holding the 13 Pro Max naked feels like soap that's gonna slip out of my hand. 😂

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Right now I have my configuration set to the iPhone 14 Pro Max Deep Purple 512GBs, but I’m thinking about switching to the 1TB... It’s a bit costly though and not sure if I need all of that space.

No such thing as too much space. If you don't need the space, don't use it. But there is definitely a thing as too little space. You can't fix "too little."

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
The phone is perfectly fine, no damage to it at all. The clear case seems to offer good protection.

I agree, it's a little slippery. It doesn't really feel any different from when I first bought it.

With the case on though, it's a lot less slippery than just the iPhone. I could never go case less. For me, holding the 13 Pro Max naked feels like soap that's gonna slip out of my hand. 😂
Yeah no case (aka Apple soap) sounds lovely but not at all practical in theory for me.

I love how the Apple silicone cases are grippy enough that the phone will stay when I put it down anywhere. Also like the grip in my hand when carrying.

But then the clear case lets me see the silver and the white: I may just have to give this clear case another go.

Thanks for sharing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.