Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 14?

• Total voters

jphall

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
I'm probably the only one, but I actually liked the touch bar.
I just remembered how itā€™s best function was showing the length of a song or video and time remaining- Iā€™m still looking for a convenient way for me to see that on ā€œmy screenā€ while showing a video on a projector screen.

It was also cool that a timeline in Final Cut could be scrolled via the Touch Bar.

One of those ideas that i imagine will come back someday with an updated take on how best to design it.

Reactions: JBinPDX

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
My friend has a recessed charging port so the cable can't connect and charge that way. She'll get an exchange. Clearly a one-off.
Kinda weird since I'm pretty sure the port sits under the haptic motor and between the frame and battery. Kinda hard for it to move.

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
I just remembered how itā€™s best function was showing the length of a song or video and time remaining- Iā€™m still looking for a convenient way for me to see that on ā€œmy screenā€ while showing a video on a projector screen.

It was also cool that a timeline in Final Cut could be scrolled via the Touch Bar.

One of those ideas that i imagine will come back someday with an updated take on how best to design it.
You could also use it to skip to the end of a YouTube ad.

Reactions: JBinPDX

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I went to the Apple Store today and there was a really long pick up line and another line for people interested in buying. No exception.

The store I go to has two entrances now, so when I got there I had a false impression on how busy it was. The outside entrance had 4 employees and a line setup with only a few people talking to an employee. I mistook that as they were not busy and I would be in luck, just like the call made it sound. I walk up and tell them I called ahead for a pickup. When I mentioned it was an iPhone he said, oh, follow me, as I do we have a friendly chat along the way. In my head Iā€™m like great, Iā€™m about to get this out of the way. As we got to the middle of the store, he pointed to the other entrance, indoors one, where this time there were actual lines outside, then told me to go to those lines and they can help me.

I didnā€™t really push the issue after she explained no exceptions and could not help me when others booked earlier, in a way, implying I wanted to cut ahead of everyone that chose earlier.

Understandable, but it wasnā€™t like I showed up unannounced fully aware of this risk. I called first to avoid this exact situation, confirming it was okay. So the reason I was even there, standing in the store in the middle of a busy mall on a weekend, was because they told me I could come in. So, the situation was a failure in customer service that left me confused and disappointed, especially with no apology for the specific miscommunication that caused the situation. It was an odd feeling walking back through the store see so much staff helping with new purchases, but despite being there, even if I bought a case and charger, they would not give me the phone, even if I waited at the end of the line .

Last edited:

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
Second time in a row no defects on my units Iā€™m lucky.
Iā€™ve been playing with this phone all day.

Love the Dynamic Island! Played music last night to get a feel of it (the speakers still sound great), dug the animation and ease of switching. Then I was on a call this morning and I really loved the wave response to our voices as we spoke! Nice! Took a moment for Podcasts to use the Island, but that started as well. As far as apps go, I was using Apollo earlier and the dev added a feature where a little gigabit pet plays and sleeps on the top of the Island while you use the app. Cute and non-distracting. Canā€™t wait to see more creative ways in which apps use the Island. Oh, I downloaded Hit the Island too.

Iā€™m also excited for the customization to the lock and Home Screens (FINALLY). Been having fun with that. Iā€™m using the Photo Shuffle to cycle through some travel memories. This is my first time using photos instead of wallpapers for backgrounds so this all feels fresh to me.

I havenā€™t been out much today to take pictures. Nothing looks different on the few selfies and interior pics I took. Night Mode is definitely benefiting from the larger sensor. I took a picture in my bedroom in early dawn light and the picture came out as if the sun was Early morning and clear! Impressed with that much so far. I will be out more tomorrow and have to go downtown Tuesday, so plenty of opportunities to put the camera through different tests are coming.

That said, this AOD is going to take getting used to... actually I may just disable it. All day long, I would see the AOD and I would pick up the phone to hit the power button to turn the screen off which only woke the screen up, lol! AOD isnā€™t a feature I need on my iPhone, only on the Apple Watch. Iā€™m also wondering if all of my inadvertent screen wakes put a drain on battery, but itā€™s too early to say since this device is still settling.

My restore took a long time. So I plugged it in to charge. It got so hot a warning came up that the charging would stop until the phone temp went down. I unplugged it so it could cool down, but that caused a delay in the restore, so I had to restart the phone which helped the restore to continue. I went to bed before it finished. I donā€™t use a fast charger, but I may change my cables or get the MagSafe charger. So far I havenā€™t had any overheating since which is good.

Last thoughts:

Transferring eSIM was so easy and fast. Very pleasantly surprised.
Whoever is saying the Island looks bad in daylight is spreading false information.
The responsiveness and fluid animation and transitions is just the icing on this 14 Pro Max experience.
This Deep Purple āœØšŸ’œāœØ

View attachment 2070310
D5911E25-2584-45A8-B22D-5C87B8AEA763.jpeg

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
might as well just keep it. Because what if you changed your mind to get the 512 gb and then you find defects? You have to start all over. lol
Iā€™m planning to that keep this one and go up to 1TB next year.

I should of got 512 GB but for the last two years pre Covid 19 128GB worked

Needed a little more to try pro res for the first time.

Zero dust in lens not planning to check anymore.

CarolG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2013
Northern California
I got 50gb used on my 13Pro max. So I definitely could have gotten away with 256 on the 14 pro max. I was paranoid and got the 512 just in case I decided to keep the phone longer than 1 year. Now that I have the purple 14pm, Iā€™m disappointed with the color so I donā€™t think Iā€™ll keep it past a year now. Long story short, I should have gotten the 256gb.

How much room do you have to spare ?
I agree with everything you said. I got 512GB on the 14 PM for the first time for the same reasons you did. I also should have gotten the 256GB because I am also disappointed in the color.

Reactions: iHeartsteve

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
Iā€™m planning to that keep this one and go up to 1TB next year.

I should of got 512 GB but for the last two years pre Covid 19 128GB worked

Needed a little more to try pro res for the first time.

Zero dust in lens not planning to check anymore.

I thought last year you were contemplating returning the 128GB for a larger capacity and then you had issues with AT&T in regards to a return due to some promo.

stingazg

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2022
Southern California
So Iā€™m definitely liking the battery life on my Pro Max, started my day at 8am, did a full day including activating my eSim at the carrier store, charged only for the 20 mins home, and have been using it pretty much all of the day after to the trip to the carrier and Iā€™m ending my day with still 28%. Thatā€™s just great letā€™s see how tomorrow goes with it finally being on a network for a full day

Whistler Mac

Contributor
Apr 17, 2019
So Iā€™m definitely liking the battery life on my Pro Max, started my day at 8am, did a full day including activating my eSim at the carrier store, charged only for the 20 mins home, and have been using it pretty much all of the day after to the trip to the carrier and Iā€™m ending my day with still 28%. Thatā€™s just great letā€™s see how tomorrow goes with it finally being on a network for a full day
@Brad7 you would really like battery on pro max...

Reactions: thearh and Brad7

ksujoel

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2015
Kansas
I know we all know about night mode, but this particular night mode photo taken earlier tonight with my 14 PM was impressive. That would take in at about 1130 at night. And it also appears I was able to get some stars in the pic.

Attachments

• 0EC506F7-8C33-443A-9C63-86FCFD7A2CD1.jpeg
    0EC506F7-8C33-443A-9C63-86FCFD7A2CD1.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

jphall

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
That's all I'm getting silent or not
just unmuted mine and it is also still silent. hmmm.

I wouldn't actually use that function as I abhor my phone making noises/sounds as my work involves editing audio and video files and extraneous sound tend to scare the crap out of me when I'm very intensely listening to the content.

CarolG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2013
Northern California
In the real world. We're going to have to get used to setting the phone down. Otherwise, AOD will stay on while you sleep. A good alternative option would be if AOD gets deactivated after 1-2 hours of no activity. Which means you are sleeping and so on. Apple should consider giving users the option.
I use the Apple MagSafe Duo Charger for iphone and watch. You have to use the MagSafe charger with the phone face up. It seems to dim more after a while and didnā€™t bother me last night. Interesting issues.

jphall

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
My MagSafe charger doesnā€™t work like that. iPhone has to be face up on the charger.
I generally go to bed with a fully charged iPhone battery and use the phone face down in airplane mode as a sleep tracker and brown noise generator. I wake up with battery still at 80- 90%.

Most of my lock screens are darker and work really well with the AOD. Muscle memory was weird the first hour or so but now I know how it'll work without having to think about it.

Kind of reminds me of first Face ID experience, it seemed so much more natural than the old Touch ID that I had the new swipes down in the first few tries, and tried unsuccessfully to get them to work on my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.