Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 14?

• Total voters

JBinPDX

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
Yes sir! The world was asking Apple for a change to an iPhone.. do something about the notch. Well, change is here. Itā€™s a good change because it is packed with impressive tech. Just on that little screen. I just hope it doesnā€™t even up like Touch Bar. It's just going to take some time to get used to it.
I'm probably the only one, but I actually liked the touch bar.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Iā€™ve been playing with this phone all day.

Love the Dynamic Island! Played music last night to get a feel of it (the speakers still sound great), dug the animation and ease of switching. Then I was on a call this morning and I really loved the wave response to our voices as we spoke! Nice! Took a moment for Podcasts to use the Island, but that started as well. As far as apps go, I was using Apollo earlier and the dev added a feature where a little gigabit pet plays and sleeps on the top of the Island while you use the app. Cute and non-distracting. Canā€™t wait to see more creative ways in which apps use the Island. Oh, I downloaded Hit the Island too.

Iā€™m also excited for the customization to the lock and Home Screens (FINALLY). Been having fun with that. Iā€™m using the Photo Shuffle to cycle through some travel memories. This is my first time using photos instead of wallpapers for backgrounds so this all feels fresh to me.

I havenā€™t been out much today to take pictures. Nothing looks different on the few selfies and interior pics I took. Night Mode is definitely benefiting from the larger sensor. I took a picture in my bedroom in early dawn light and the picture came out as if the sun was Early morning and clear! Impressed with that much so far. I will be out more tomorrow and have to go downtown Tuesday, so plenty of opportunities to put the camera through different tests are coming.

That said, this AOD is going to take getting used to... actually I may just disable it. All day long, I would see the AOD and I would pick up the phone to hit the power button to turn the screen off which only woke the screen up, lol! AOD isnā€™t a feature I need on my iPhone, only on the Apple Watch. Iā€™m also wondering if all of my inadvertent screen wakes put a drain on battery, but itā€™s too early to say since this device is still settling.

My restore took a long time. So I plugged it in to charge. It got so hot a warning came up that the charging would stop until the phone temp went down. I unplugged it so it could cool down, but that caused a delay in the restore, so I had to restart the phone which helped the restore to continue. I went to bed before it finished. I donā€™t use a fast charger, but I may change my cables or get the MagSafe charger. So far I havenā€™t had any overheating since which is good.

Last thoughts:

Transferring eSIM was so easy and fast. Very pleasantly surprised.
Whoever is saying the Island looks bad in daylight is spreading false information.
The responsiveness and fluid animation and transitions is just the icing on this 14 Pro Max experience.
This Deep Purple āœØšŸ’œāœØ

A85E0167-8907-4681-B463-D5E38109275D.jpeg

jphall

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
I'm probably the only one, but I actually liked the touch bar.
I liked the idea of the Touch Bar, but I used an external keyboard 99.9% of the time I was using the computer. Often I used the computer in clamshell mode so it was not even visible then.

So in another universe, it wouldā€™ve been really great for me. I was sorry to see it go, but I use the function keys every day and they sure work better as physical keys.

Reactions: JBinPDX

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
Any defects any one ?
No, but for the first time ever, I am stumped, i am legit lost trying to ā€personalizeā€ my wallpaper because you have to switch between wallpaper and ā€œfocusā€ and once i set it one of them did not allow any phone calls to go through, Iā€™m still trying to set up good sleeping, personal and driving ones but choosing wallpapers itā€™s impossible!!!

I also feel Apple is giving me the run around on applecare +, nothing bad I just want to change the billing date, the apple store reps told me they can do it over the phone, over the phone told me to cancel my current plan and that it should let me sign up for it when I closer to the date I want to choose, but last time a rep told me to do that on A different device earlier this year the option to upgrade to applecare + disappeared and made it null and void on that device so Iā€™m hesitant haha.

hereā€™s the kicker hahaha I set it up for apple to call me but because of my personalized ā€œwallpaperā€ my iphone and apple watch NEVER went off, not even the vibration, It wasnā€™t until I saw the missed call once i unlocked the phone that i saw it, so yes, I will be busy figuring this out!!! hahaha

PS I also noticed how some apps do not show up on the AOD screenā€¦ I discovered you have to manually enable Them, so for sure Iā€™m reading up the guide because itā€™s a lot to take in but thatā€™s part of the fun!

fryfrkhlly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2013
Phoenix, AZ

Love the Dynamic Island! Played music last night to get a feel of it (the speakers still sound great), dug the animation and ease of switching. Then I was on a call this morning and I really loved the wave response to our voices as we spoke! Nice! Took a moment for Podcasts to use the Island, but that started as well. As far as apps go, I was using Apollo earlier and the dev added a feature where a little gigabit pet plays and sleeps on the top of the Island while you use the app. Cute and non-distracting. Canā€™t wait to see more creative ways in which apps use the Island. Oh, I downloaded Hit the Island too.

Iā€™m also excited for the customization to the lock and Home Screens (FINALLY). Been having fun with that. Iā€™m using the Photo Shuffle to cycle through some travel memories. This is my first time using photos instead of wallpapers for backgrounds so this all feels fresh to me.

I havenā€™t been out much today to take pictures. Nothing looks different on the few selfies and interior pics I took. Night Mode is definitely benefiting from the larger sensor. I took a picture in my bedroom in early dawn light and the picture came out as if the sun was Early morning and clear! Impressed with that much so far. I will be out more tomorrow and have to go downtown Tuesday, so plenty of opportunities to put the camera through different tests are coming.

That said, this AOD is going to take getting used to... actually I may just disable it. All day long, I would see the AOD and I would pick up the phone to hit the power button to turn the screen off which only woke the screen up, lol! AOD isnā€™t a feature I need on my iPhone, only on the Apple Watch. Iā€™m also wondering if all of my inadvertent screen wakes put a drain on battery, but itā€™s too early to say since this device is still settling.

My restore took a long time. So I plugged it in to charge. It got so hot a warning came up that the charging would stop until the phone temp went down. I unplugged it so it could cool down, but that caused a delay in the restore, so I had to restart the phone which helped the restore to continue. I went to bed before it finished. I donā€™t use a fast charger, but I may change my cables or get the MagSafe charger. So far I havenā€™t had any overheating since which is good.

Last thoughts:

Whoever is saying the Island looks bad in daylight is spreading false information.
The responsiveness and fluid animation and transitions is just the icing on this 14 Pro Max experience.

View attachment 2070310
Really love this case and may need to grab one.

Reactions: naturalstar

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

Last thoughts:

View attachment 2070310
Yea sometimes the AOD is a new learning curve and like the past if i get notifications and screen turns on, i have my muscle memory to instantly hit the side button.

Reactions: naturalstar

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA

Last thoughts:

View attachment 2070310

For a sec there I thought you shattered your phone. šŸ¤£

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Really love this case and may need to grab one.

You can get it for 30% off using the code THANKYOU on their website.

Yea sometimes the AOD is a new learning curve and like the past if i get notifications and screen turns on, i have my muscle memory to instantly hit the side button.

Yep, thatā€™s been me today. I have some unlearning to do.

alexcue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.