Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C0ncreteBl0nde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2023
Rural America
That needs to end. If you are on scholarship and getting a full ride, you play. Period.
I TOTALLY agree! I was just talking to my BIL about Oregon's game tomorrow and I mentioned I hope a bunch of players didn't opt-out so we could be slaughtered like FSU and he said the word is that hardly any have opted-out. That gives me some kind of pride for "my" team that they want to play to the end and represent the Ducks even though, as it stands now, they don't HAVE to.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I get that College Football is what it is, warts and all, and is ultimately driven by money.

The players, who have long been indentured servants to their schools, have deservedly been emboldened by the court cases and are getting their due, so to speak.

But if the sport doesn't try to reign rein in the uninhibited free-for-all known as the transfer portal, and the opt-outs that are now less and less the exception, it could completely lose what little claim it had left to any sort of loyalty, and sporting integrity, and might as well fully embrace the mercenarial mindset and formally split off and establish itself as a semi-pro league, like Chip Kelly and others have suggested.

Last edited:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Apparently espn commentators stated* that this was, "a shell of the team that went undefeated ...".
Yes, and they said that Missouri defeated a "depleted" Ohio State team, because they had to play with an inexperienced quarterback. Ok, well, the whole Bowl Game mystique is gone. It was never a thing to "opt out" of your team's bowl game because of entering the draft. Players still entered the draft, but they played with their teammates to try for more glory. Now, they call teammates "brothers" and desert them. $$$ - the root of all evil.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Glad Michigan won. Tired of the SEC. But that was a horrid play call. In the QB's hands, fine. But right up the middle? Terrible call.

Rooting for Washinton now. One last hurrah for the Pac-12.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herdfan

C0ncreteBl0nde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2023
Rural America
I'm glad the Ducks won (and they won handedly) today, but in all honesty, since before the announcement of this bowl game I'd never heard of Liberty, it was rather boring. Good to see Bo Nix go out on a win, he will be sorely missed and really played exceptionally for Oregon. We really had a good season and now we venture into the Twilight Zone of a new qb, new conference and God only knows what!

I only have one last thing to add: Huck the Fuskies. ;)

• Love
Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
AsDQoE3.png

FqYEN1n.png

I am not 100% sure but only a small hand full of SEC teams lost...BAMA and Auburn both lost lol.lol.lol.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Welp, our pass defense has always been the weak point of the team, and holy crap did Washington exploit it! Great game, and I look forward to watching their matchup with Michigan.

Hook'em!

Reactions: Don Quixote

Capt. Pat

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2006
All but the 3 CFP bowl games are meaningless, so I'm okay with players with legitimate NFL aspirations to pass on those games to avoid the risk of injury. Major college football is just the minor league for the NFL, playing for the old alma mater is a quaint and outdated concept.

• Wow
Reactions: Don Quixote

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
All but the 3 CFP bowl games are meaningless, so I'm okay with players with legitimate NFL aspirations to pass on those games to avoid the risk of injury. Major college football is just the minor league for the NFL, playing for the old alma mater is a quaint and outdated concept.
Yes, times have changed. I'm "old school" and still remember the spirit of winning "one for the Gipper".

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
The bowl games have just become windows into next season. Not bad for the coaches or players, but sucks for the fans who want to see a good game.

I wonder if Liberty could have beaten the FSU team that showed up to play GA.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
The bowl games have just become windows into next season. Not bad for the coaches or players, but sucks for the fans who want to see a good game.

I wonder if Liberty could have beaten the FSU team that showed up to play GA.

Probably? That would have been a better game I bet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.