Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caronte23

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
A little update, I managed to delid the cpus, however i sligtly knicked the side of one of the pcbs..
I tried putting them in anyways and it booted, both cpus were recognised, hoever some of the ram wasn't (on the side where the knicked cpu was). I tried doing a PRAM reset and now it's stuck on a boot loop.
I tried removing the ram and booting but nothing, it's suck on a boot loop now... Now I'll put the old cpus back in and see what happens..

EDIT: tried with ony cpu A in, nothing, still boot loop !
EDIT 2: F***! I've put the original cpus back in, still nothing! It reboots 2 times and then shuts off, I've tried PRAM reset, holding the power button down until it flashes and does a long beep (not sure what this did), nothing works, please somebody help me out!

Last edited:

Razzerman

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Hey there,

When you replaced the originals, did you check to see if the Northbridge rivet had 'popped' - I know when I did one of my machines a couple of weeks ago, the rivet had popped, and it may be the cause of your troubles.

Cheers,

Razzerman

caronte23

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
Hey there,

When you replaced the originals, did you check to see if the Northbridge rivet had 'popped' - I know when I did one of my machines a couple of weeks ago, the rivet had popped, and it may be the cause of your troubles.

Cheers,

Razzerman
No the rivets seem all fine! OMG I'm stressing so much! I can't wrap my head around it, as I said after upgrading the CPUs the computer booted, and both CPUs were recognised, however the 2 ram sticks weren't so I tried a PRAM reset, and that's when the boot loop began!

EDIT: Or perhaps could it be that I tried the "holding down power button until light flashes and long beep" thing? I just remembered that was necessary when I upgraded the firmware last year or so..

Last edited:

caronte23

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
Hey there,

Cheers,

Razzerman
Scratch that! After better inspection indeed one of the rivets is missing! LOL, I hope that's the only problem! I'm looking everywhere to see where it might have popped but I can't find it for now, I might have even vacumed it :p

EDIT: Still haven't found it, by the way you're a fricken guru for suggesting it might be the issue!
Could it be that that rivet had popped a while back and now it won't boot because I did a PRAM reset? Because a few months ago I had opened and vacumed the mashine..

Last edited:

Razzerman

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
It might have popped at anytime, but doing the cpu upgrade means you're moving stuff around. That might have dislodged the rivet, which means the heatsink isn't doing it's job. It'll need replacing- there's a thread on here somewhere about which replacement to source and where from. Replace both, even if one is still intact. Good luck :)

caronte23

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
It might have popped at anytime, but doing the cpu upgrade means you're moving stuff around. That might have dislodged the rivet, which means the heatsink isn't doing it's job. It'll need replacing- there's a thread on here somewhere about which replacement to source and where from. Replace both, even if one is still intact. Good luck :)
Yeah I'll have to replace both also because to take out the remaining one to have it for referance I popped the 2 little tab underneath :p
I was also thinking maybe I could use screws and springs and nuts with plastic washers on the bottom...

Razzerman

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Yeah, whatever works for you - personally I prefer to put rivets back in (with slight adjustments).

Back on topic, I prefer to leave the lids on - luckily I have access to a digital micrometer to measure the cpu's and the washers. Don't think I'd be comfortable popping the lids off in a vice. Fair play to those who do.

caronte23

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
Yeah, whatever works for you - personally I prefer to put rivets back in (with slight adjustments).

Back on topic, I prefer to leave the lids on - luckily I have access to a digital micrometer to measure the cpu's and the washers. Don't think I'd be comfortable popping the lids off in a vice. Fair play to those who do.
Bad news, I've put the northbridge cooler back on using some zip ties momentairly, but the problem persists, I'm stuck in a boot loop, it reboots twice (2 beeps) and then shuts off. If I try a PRAM reset it reboots one extra time, so 3 beeps and then shuts off!
I'm starting to lose it, never thought it could go so wrong doing this upgrade!
Please somebody help me troubleshoot this.
Recapping:
-de-lidded 2 x5680s , slightly damaged the side of the pcb on one of them.
-I put them in and the computer booted up, but 2 ram sticks were not showing up (both CPUs were recognised)
-I shutdown and did a PRAM reset and the loop began.
-Changed back to the stock CPUs.
-Noticed one rivet from the Northbridge heatsink was missing, replaced both with zip ties.
-Nothing happens, still in a boot loop with a black screen.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Bad news, I've put the northbridge cooler back on using some zip ties momentairly, but the problem persists, I'm stuck in a boot loop, it reboots twice (2 beeps) and then shuts off. If I try a PRAM reset it reboots one extra time, so 3 beeps and then shuts off!
I'm starting to lose it, never thought it could go so wrong doing this upgrade!
Please somebody help me troubleshoot this.
Recapping:
-de-lidded 2 x5680s , slightly damaged the side of the pcb on one of them.
-I put them in and the computer booted up, but 2 ram sticks were not showing up (both CPUs were recognised)
-I shutdown and did a PRAM reset and the loop began.
-Changed back to the stock CPUs.
-Noticed one rivet from the Northbridge heatsink was missing, replaced both with zip ties.
-Nothing happens, still in a boot loop with a black screen.
Install just the not damaged one into socket A, leave socket B empty, check if you can boot.

caronte23

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
Install just the not damaged one into socket A, leave socket B empty, check if you can boot.
I tried that too, same problem, except with the fans going full speed.
Right now I've put back the stock CPUs and at least no leds light up, indicating all the RAM is working.

Razzerman

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Is it the original, slower ram or the new 1333 ram that you've got in? Do you know if you did the firmware upgrade correctly?

caronte23

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
Is it the original, slower ram or the new 1333 ram that you've got in? Do you know if you did the firmware upgrade correctly?
The ram is the stock 1066, I haven't bought new 1333 ram yet.
The firmware update was working fine, I did it maybe 1 year ago to install Sierra, but all hardware was stock.

MacZoltan

macrumors member
May 18, 2016
If you use lidded Xeons with a MP4,1, you assume the risk of damaging the CPU sockets. So many people damaged the tray that it's just dumb to do it.
i shared this because i did it hundreds of times before, if you count the rotations as shown it will work 98 times out of 100 and the 2 ocasions i had to tighten a bit more because i always careful and underthightened a bit:)
Like i said in the video if you are not comfortable with it ask a professional. I never damaged even one daughter board CPU pin:) or break a mac pro with this procedure and doing it since 2012.
Delidding can cause damage to the CPU anyway, heat and or mechanical, so up to you which methode you use, all works if executed properly, I recommend to watch the video in full.

Last edited:

UKenGB

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Surrey, UK
i shared this because i did it hundreds of times before, if you count the rotations as shown it will work 98 times out of 100 and the 2 ocasions i had to tighten a bit more because i always careful and underthightened a bit:)
Like i said in the video if you are not comfortable with it ask a professional. I never damaged even one daughter board CPU pin:) or break a mac pro with this procedure and doing it since 2012.
Delidding can cause damage to the CPU anyway, heat and or mechanical, so up to you which methode you use, all works if executed properly, I recommend to watch the video in full.

Well I've not heard of anyone damaging CPUs by de-lidding them with the vice method, but I have heard of many problems when trying to clamp the heat sinks onto lidded CPUs.

I've not done hundreds, but I did pull the lids off 4 CPUs using my big vice and it was really easy to do. Really easy. And the proof that it worked perfectly on at least 2 of them is the fact I'm typing this on my Mac Pro 4,1=>5,1 now running with 12 cores at 3.46 GHz and RAM at 1333 MHz. No issues. Literally, NONE.

MacZoltan

macrumors member
May 18, 2016
Well I've not heard of anyone damaging CPUs by de-lidding them with the vice method, but I have heard of many problems when trying to clamp the heat sinks onto lidded CPUs.

I've not done hundreds, but I did pull the lids off 4 CPUs using my big vice and it was really easy to do. Really easy. And the proof that it worked perfectly on at least 2 of them is the fact I'm typing this on my Mac Pro 4,1=>5,1 now running with 12 cores at 3.46 GHz and RAM at 1333 MHz. No issues. Literally, NONE.
like i said it is an option, you do not have to use this methode, i might try out delidding myself a CPU or 2 to see exactly how it works, but if anyone asks me i can 100% do it without delidding, the video actually shows the full process and worked as usual

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I would never, ever use IHS CPUs in my 4,1>5,1. It is just pushing one's luck.

I would rather buy a 2010 / 2012 cMP in good nick.

MacZoltan

macrumors member
May 18, 2016
I would never, ever use IHS CPUs in my 4,1>5,1. It is just pushing one's luck.

I would rather buy a 2010 / 2012 cMP in good nick.
good for you, still a viable option if you already have one 2009 unit and dont want to remove the IHS

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
There is zero reason to do this. Delidding is so incredibly easy that there is no reason whatsoever to use this method.

Buy at $15 vice and delid. There, your CPU now looks like all other CPUs in 4,1 Mac Pro’s, as Apple intended.

MacZoltan

macrumors member
May 18, 2016
There is zero reason to do this. Delidding is so incredibly easy that there is no reason whatsoever to use this method.

Buy at $15 vice and delid. There, your CPU now looks like all other CPUs in 4,1 Mac Pro’s, as Apple intended.
many of my customer would disagree with you after getting a delidded unit from someone on eBay than having it replaced by me when it died on them after 6-12 months of use. but like i said it is an option either way:) up to you
I am rarely doing it nowdays that is why shared it on youtube and got a lot positive responses anyway.
If you take your time and not damaging the Intel design it last longer then otherwise. Although both works just fine.

Flocarino

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Lid on is my way to go as well. I won't do it other way. You should have verified the Northbridge heatsink retainers and apply new paste to the chip as well, unless you already done it before.

MacZoltan

macrumors member
May 18, 2016
Lid on is my way to go as well. I won't do it other way. You should have verified the Northbridge heatsink retainers and apply new paste to the chip as well, unless you already done it before.
usually those effect not much but yes, with small screws and some thermal paste you can refresh those too, especially if the plastic retainer is broken

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.