Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
You can do it with Quickres but text looks fuzzy. I would only plan to run high DPI 1080P or true 4K on the LG monitor (I have the same one.) 4K obviously makes the text look tiny but 4K video looks amazing.
I think he was talking about "hiDPI" mode at 2560X1440, which is available when you use a 2015 MBP. I'm wondering if you patch the rMB for 60Hz, you can choose 2560x1440 hiDPI option when you hold down the Option key and select Scaled.

Hung_Solo

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016
I think he was talking about "hiDPI" mode at 2560X1440, which is available when you use a 2015 MBP. I'm wondering if you patch the rMB for 60Hz, you can choose 2560x1440 hiDPI option when you hold down the Option key and select Scaled.

unfortunately there isn't. The patch only allows 1920x1080 HiDPI and then 4k at 60hz.

I just had to unpatch my MacBook as after two solid weeks of using the patch with this monitor at 60hz my MacBook gets extremely hot (up to 37 degrees celsius). I am currently using the 2560x1440 low resolution display (where text is more blurry, but of course I get more screen real estate). Hopefully Apple addresses this with an official update, but highly doubt it.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
unfortunately there isn't. The patch only allows 1920x1080 HiDPI and then 4k at 60hz.

I just had to unpatch my MacBook as after two solid weeks of using the patch with this monitor at 60hz my MacBook gets extremely hot (up to 37 degrees celsius). I am currently using the 2560x1440 low resolution display (where text is more blurry, but of course I get more screen real estate). Hopefully Apple addresses this with an official update, but highly doubt it.
Thanks, that's unfortunate. 37C isn't that hot considering that's around human body temp and temp outside gets hotter than that during summer :)

Hung_Solo

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016
Thanks, that's unfortunate. 37C isn't that hot considering that's around human body temp and temp outside gets hotter than that during summer :)

I agree, but I did forget to mention that watching movies/video that for whatever reason my video starts to stutter as well when on 60hz 1920x1080 HiDPI. When I switched it back to 30hz that stuttering disappears entirely.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I agree, but I did forget to mention that watching movies/video that for whatever reason my video starts to stutter as well when on 60hz 1920x1080 HiDPI. When I switched it back to 30hz that stuttering disappears entirely.
Good to know. Thanks!

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

I haven't noticed any stuttering even when watching 4K youtube videos at 60Hz. I do get some audio lag with my cheap bluetooth speaker but I can't blame it on the monitor.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Assembly/build-quality of the individual notebooks may have to do with the variations in what people find possible or not.
Thermal paste not being applied correctly has been a problem for various notebooks in the history of Apple...
So, I wouldn't be surprised if that was also an issue here.

d00d3n

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2016
As far as I know, it is still not possible to get a USB-C hub that charges your macbook 12" and outputs a 4k resolution image through displayport. These can be done separately, but not at the same time.

I have been banging my head against this problem for some time, but I recently had some luck with my googling that may explain some things. The USB hub makers are usually extremely evasive, because they want you to buy their hub and don't give a **** if you get the results that you imagined.

In summary, a lot of USB-C hub makers seem to use chips from a company called DisplayLink. The existing DisplayLink chips are, as I understand it, hardcapped at 4k@30hz. In order words, no USB-C hub that uses these chips will ever support 4k@60hz, which explains why no hub on the market has been able to provide simultaneous charge-through and 4k@60hz. The IPS displays that can provide this functionality presumably don't use the mass produced DisplayLink chips, but some other custom solutions.

The only piece of good news that I could find is that DisplayLink are apparently working on a new generation of chips called 6950 or DL-6950. As I understand it, these go way beyond the old limitations and can do 4k@60hz with ease, even with several displays at the same time. There are no products with it out on the market currently, but the chip was shown off at CES and is presumably getting to consumer products soon. I could not find a reliable date for when this will happen.

As a disclaimer, I am not a technical expert and I apologize if any of this is the result of me misunderstanding the situation, but I guess it may be interesting to throw the theory out there.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Sounds interesting. Thanks.
Will be ordering an M7/256 for $work soon. $boss has given the OK.
:)
We have no 4K displays at work (still on dual 24" 1920x1200, except for $boss, who has a 30" 2560x1600).
If I had decided on a MBP, it would have been the device with the highest resolution in the company.

zoltep

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2016
To clarify, how do you know that it runs in 4k at 60hz? Have you bought one and tested yourself?
Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 9.11.03 AM.jpg

zoltep

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2016
WoW nice! Does the dock charge MacBook while hooking up to monitor at 4K 60hz? Also, do you notice if your MacBook getting warmer whU outputting4k 60hz?

Charging works perfectly while docked. It does warm up after about 10 mins (maybe less) of some video or browser based games but it also gets warm in those same situations when using it standalone.

d00d3n

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2016
Charging works perfectly while docked. It does warm up after about 10 mins (maybe less) of some video or browser based games but it also gets warm in those same situations when using it standalone.

Thanks! I just pressed the "buy" button from a local online retailer.

By the way, do the other ports on the dock work? Ethernet port? Usb ports?

mango316

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014

Thanks for the info! And May I ask what monitor/TV you're using this dock with? And you're connecting it through the display port right? The HDMI port on it isn't 2.0 though I believe.

zoltep

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2016
Thanks! I just pressed the "buy" button from a local online retailer.

By the way, do the other ports on the dock work? Ethernet port? Usb ports?

USB, audio work just fine. Ethernet I had to install the following driver:

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-usb-gx3-software-and-drivers

It was listed on the Acer support site for Windows, figured Mac would need it as well

Interestingly, it seems like the Kensington Dock is using the same chipset (I also bought that but was unsuccessful with it). The Kensington dock seemed to use the same driver as well.

Thanks for the info! And May I ask what monitor/TV you're using this dock with? And you're connecting it through the display port right? The HDMI port on it isn't 2.0 though I believe.

Philips BDM4065UC 39" 4k connected via DP

Hung_Solo

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016
Anyone having any trouble where when you wake your MacBook from sleep that the 4k monitor starts to stutter when watching video? I have noticed it every time mine goes to sleep for several hours. I would have to restart MacBook to get the stuttering to disappear.

d00d3n

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2016
I can confirm that the Acer dock works for me as well. 4k @ 60hz and power at the same time as advertised. I had to apply the hack again for it to work, though.

mango316

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
I can confirm that the Acer dock works for me as well. 4k @ 60hz and power at the same time as advertised. I had to apply the hack again for it to work, though.

Which 4K monitor/4K TV you're using? And you have the m5 or m7 mb? TIA

d00d3n

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2016
Which 4K monitor/4K TV you're using? And you have the m5 or m7 mb? TIA

The display is a PROLITE X4071UHSU-B1. The laptop is the early 2016 macbook 12" m3. Connected from the acer dock to the display with a displayport cable.

mango316

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
The display is a PROLITE X4071UHSU-B1. The laptop is the early 2016 macbook 12" m3. Connected from the acer dock to the display with a displayport cable.

Great thanks for the info, quite surprising that even the m3 can pull off 4k at 60hz smoothly! So anyone with 2016 m5 or m7 shouldn't have any problem with this dock then.

johndeere768

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2007
Pushing it a little bit and probably know the answer but has anyone tried connecting 2 X 4K monitor running at 60hz through that ACER dock with the Macbook in clam shell mode? The dock does have a DP and HDMI port, just curious to see if its possible.

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.