Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
Do you lose that option whenever you unplug the monitor from the rMB or wake it up from sleep?
[doublepost=1475346408][/doublepost]

A USB C to USB C cable comes with the monitor which works just fine.

Confirmed, the supplied USB-C to USB-C works fantastic. Loving the single wire setup for power and display!

Reactions: apb87

seibel

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
Hey everyone (new to this forum :) )...

I would be really grateful if anyone could answer my question: will the 12" MB 2015 (or at least 12" MB 2016) be able to output 4k60Hz using MST (displayport 1.2)? My monitor is a Dell UP2414Q which unfortunately supports 60 Hz only using MST.
I have spent hours googling in search of an answer - without any success.

Thanks in advance

c.return

macrumors newbie
I'd like to report success using the 2016 Macbook with a Samsung U28E590D 28 inch 4k display using a V7 brand usb-c displayport adapter purchased at cyperport.de and the displayport cable included with the monitor.
The monitor reports 60 Hz as opposed to 30 Hz when connected using the Apple HDMI adapter.
I am very happy with picture quality and colors.
No patch necessary.

seibel

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
I'd also like to report success with the Dell UP2414Q and the 2016 Macbook 12. I'm using a Caldigit USB-C Dock. The monitor is connected to the dock's displayport. However, since the UP2414Q supports 4k@60Hz only using MST this is only working when using bootcamp (as Windows 10 supports MST). Using MacOS, this monitor can only be driven at 30 Hz.
Please note: the dock supports 4k@60Hz only when using a "special firmware" which can be downloaded on the manufacturer's homepage (see FAQ on the Caldigit homepage).

Theozz

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2015
France
I tried the Belkin 3.1 USB-C sold on the Apple Store. It worked one week on my LG 27UD88-W (refurbished, sold without its USB-C cable) and now have kept disconnecting/reconnecting every 5 seconds or so...

So European people, what USB-C cable do you use to plug your rMB to your monitor ?

ganpati23

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2014
London
Background

TypeCPins.png

USB-C has four high-bandwidth lanes that can be dedicated to either USB 3.1 Gen 1 (i.e. USB 3.0 - 5Gbps) or DisplayPort 1.2. In addition to these four lanes, USB-C has separate USB 2.0 and power lanes that are available at all times. Running 4K at 60Hz requires the bandwidth of all four lanes, which would limit USB to 2.0, and for some reason Apple has disabled this, leaving users with no proper 4K support. The MacBook supports 4K at 30Hz just fine, but most users have found this to be unusable since even moving the cursor has a notable lag.

The Hack

While this topic surfaces quite frequently, very few seem to be aware of a hack that enables 4K at 60Hz. The hack is called mac-pixel-clock-patch-V2 and user reports here indicate it works flawlessly and is smoother than the SwitchResX 50Hz hack since the panel can run at its native 60Hz refresh rate. Basically, the hack forces all four high-speed lanes to be dedicated to DisplayPort 1.2, meaning no USB 3.0, but USB 2.0 and power is still delivered assuming that the device/cable/adapter supports these.

This Thread

The purpose of this thread is to act as a general wiki database for user experiences and displays, cables and adapters that work. This is a wiki post, meaning anyone can modify this with the idea of keeping this as up to date as possible, so people can quickly find information and buy supported equipment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Displays

Lenovo ThinkVision X1 - 27" 4K IPS $669

Reported to be working here. Has built-in USB-C port for video, data and charging, so no adapter needed. Built-in mic, camera and speakers work as well. However, the included USB-C cable does not work - see below for cables that have been confirmed to work.

Adapters

No specific adapters confirmed yet. This post mentions "a cheap USB-C to DisplayPort" working and technically all USB-C to DisplayPort adapters should work.

Cables

Apple USB-C Cable - NOT WORKING

Only for charging - cannot be used for video or data.

Monoprice USB 3.1 USB-C Cable 3ft - WORKING

Confirmed to be working here.

Belkin USB 3.1 USB-C Cable 3ft - NOT WORKING

Supports charging and perhaps data, but no video as reported here.

AUKEY USB 3.1 USB-C Cable 90cm - MIXED REPORTS

One user is reporting it works, whereas another one reports it not working.

Tenswall USB 3.1 USB-C Cable 3.3ft - NOT WORKING

Reported here.

Hi,

In the UK our TVs are 50hz. Will this patch work, and allow me to do 50hz, or will I have to use the 50hz patch. Please help and thanks for this stuff.

Troy2000

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
Hi,

In the UK our TVs are 50hz. Will this patch work, and allow me to do 50hz, or will I have to use the 50hz patch. Please help and thanks for this stuff.
All modern LCD displays in the UK conform to the 60Hz standard. 50Hz has not been standard since the days of CRT and plasma.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017

Troy2000

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
Incidentally, this adaptor yields 4K at 60Hz on my MacBook 12" (Early 2015). No pixel clock patching required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.