Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

d00d3n

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2016
Pushing it a little bit and probably know the answer but has anyone tried connecting 2 X 4K monitor running at 60hz through that ACER dock with the Macbook in clam shell mode? The dock does have a DP and HDMI port, just curious to see if its possible.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I can't test this, because I have only one 4k screen.

Jago

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013
unfortunately there isn't. The patch only allows 1920x1080 HiDPI and then 4k at 60hz.

I just had to unpatch my MacBook as after two solid weeks of using the patch with this monitor at 60hz my MacBook gets extremely hot (up to 37 degrees celsius).
Err... I currently have just Safari and iTunes running and my temp on an UNPATCHED Macbook is 47 celsius. When I did some testing with very very heavy load, again, on an unpatched Macbook, I managed to get it to 80c. 37c is nothing at all.

Hung_Solo

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016
Anyone installed macOS sierra yet?

Just finished and I'm now running 60hz with no patch on my LG 27UD88

Reactions: doboy

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007

apb87

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
After the 10.12 Sierra there seems to be now all the scaled options available for Retina MacBook that were for MacBook Pro 4k-display combo already before. That "looks like 2560x1440" was not there before. Now it is and working 60hz which is pretty nice. I have early 2016 base model of the MacBook.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sw43t65ywebh9f5/Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 10.33.32.png?dl=0

I noticed that throughout the betas, but they seem to go away if the computer goes to sleep and/or disconnected and reconnected.

(So I'm not sure if it was a bug that it shows, or a bug that they don't consistently show).

Hung_Solo

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016
I noticed that throughout the betas, but they seem to go away if the computer goes to sleep and/or disconnected and reconnected.

(So I'm not sure if it was a bug that it shows, or a bug that they don't consistently show).

So I just had a kernel panic when waking my MacBook from sleep and plugging it into my monitor. So it seems that is still an issue with waking the MacBook up and plugging an external display.

apb87

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
So I just had a kernel panic when waking my MacBook from sleep and plugging it into my monitor. So it seems that is still an issue with waking the MacBook up and plugging an external display.

I'm wondering if the kernel panic is caused by the display initially being set to a resolution (i.e. 2560x1440 hi dpi) and after sleep, waking back up and attempting to set that (now invalid) resolution. I have the same LG monitor and have had to restart the machine often when coming back after a break or after the laptop is put to sleep manually. When it doesn't kernel panic, it just has a black screen and I hold down the power button. Sounds like a driver issue or something.

Hung_Solo

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016
I'm wondering if the kernel panic is caused by the display initially being set to a resolution (i.e. 2560x1440 hi dpi) and after sleep, waking back up and attempting to set that (now invalid) resolution. I have the same LG monitor and have had to restart the machine often when coming back after a break or after the laptop is put to sleep manually. When it doesn't kernel panic, it just has a black screen and I hold down the power button. Sounds like a driver issue or something.

The past two weeks before I went to sleep I now shut down my MacBook. Every time I get home and turn it on and plug in the LG monitor I have zero issues. I have put my MacBook back to sleep with the monitor plugged in so when I get home I'll see if the kernel panic happens again. If it does then its pretty apparent now what the issue is.

Last edited:

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I can confirm that after upgrading to Sierra, there are more scaling options like 2560 x 1440 on my LG 4K screen, but after waking the computer up from sleep, the options are gone and it defaults back to 1920 x 1080 HiDPI res. A restart solves the issue so I'm sure there are more bugs to be worked out. Since the whole 4K 60hz limitation was due to issue with bandwidth, does this mean that being able to drive 4K at 60hz natively makes the USB back to 2.0 speed? Can anyone test or verify?

apb87

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
The past two weeks before I went to sleep I now shut down my MacBook. Every time I get home and turn it on and plug in the LG monitor I have zero issues. I have put my MacBook back to sleep with the monitor plugged in so when I get home I'll see if the kernel panic happens again. If it does then its pretty apparent now what the issue is.

Yea i never thought of just shutting it down. _#
I can confirm that after upgrading to Sierra, there are more scaling options like 2560 x 1440 on my LG 4K screen, but after waking the computer up from sleep, the options are gone and it defaults back to 1920 x 1080 HiDPI res. A restart solves the issue so I'm sure there are more bugs to be worked out. Since the whole 4K 60hz limitation was due to issue with bandwidth, does this mean that being able to drive 4K at 60hz natively makes the USB back to 2.0 speed? Can anyone test or verify?

Yes, I have it plugged into a 4k LG @ 60Hz and the USB 3.0 Bus in the system report shows a speed of up to 480 Mb/sec, which is 2.0.

I still don't know if Sierra actually supports 60Hz OOB or not, or if it's just because the patch had been installed at one point in the past.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I still don't know if Sierra actually supports 60Hz OOB or not, or if it's just because the patch had been installed at one point in the past.

Plugging my 2015 MB into my Dell P2715q I get only 30hz out of the box.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
Yea i never thought of just shutting it down. _#

Yes, I have it plugged into a 4k LG @ 60Hz and the USB 3.0 Bus in the system report shows a speed of up to 480 Mb/sec, which is 2.0.

I have the patch installed prior to Sierra, so its possible the patch stuck. Its simple to run a command to check status in terminal, although I assumed that upgrading the OS would erase any patches.

apb87

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
I have the patch installed prior to Sierra, so its possible the patch stuck. Its simple to run a command to check status in terminal, although I assumed that upgrading the OS would erase any patches.

Me too, I wanted to unapply the patch to see if the sleep-wake/kernel panics stopped, but the patch removal script no longer seems to be aware that the patch is installed. So I guess I can either clean install, or just use it as is and see if it stops happening at some point in the beta cycle.

Hung_Solo

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016

From what Floris stated (Creator of patch) that any update to the OS would remove the patch:

"Every install or update to the OS will wipe the patch. That is why i need to update it for every version :)

Most of the time I'm very fast with updating the script!" - Floris497

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007

Me too, I wanted to unapply the patch to see if the sleep-wake/kernel panics stopped, but the patch removal script no longer seems to be aware that the patch is installed. So I guess I can either clean install, or just use it as is and see if it stops happening at some point in the beta cycle.
I've never installed the 60Hz patch on my machine and after Seirra update I get 60Hz @ 4K.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I've never installed the 60Hz patch on my machine and after Seirra update I get 60Hz @ 4K.

so it would seem that in Sierra automatically applies the 60hz when you attach it to a 4k display and bring the USB speed down to 2.0.

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
I have a Early 2016 Macbook and an LG 27UD88-W arriving this coming week.

Will my apple supplied USB-C cable work for 4k60Hz and charging, or do I need to purchase the Monoprice cable?

Hung_Solo

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016
My 2015 base does 4k@60Hz with Sierra installed. I really like the 2560x1440 option on my LG 4K monitor.

Do you lose that option whenever you unplug the monitor from the rMB or wake it up from sleep?
[doublepost=1475346408][/doublepost]
I have a Early 2016 Macbook and an LG 27UD88-W arriving this coming week.

Will my apple supplied USB-C cable work for 4k60Hz and charging, or do I need to purchase the Monoprice cable?

A USB C to USB C cable comes with the monitor which works just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.