Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
cue the "retail employees know nothing" but speaking with one today at the newly reopened moco store, she stated that the release date is not known yet, but soonTM.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I am very disappointed about AirPods delay. In theory they promise a lot and to be honest I think they have a potential to be the next big Apple product line. For me it ticks almost all the boxes (in theory);

1. Multiple device connection and dead easy switching
  2. Clever sensors. Love the fact that it answers calls when put on the ear or/and stops playing music when you take it off
  3. Battery: I think it offers enough for daily usage
  4. Cable free
I understand the negative points regarding the shapes but to me they are OK since especially the current earpods are perfect fit for me. Will they look odd on my ears? Probably yes but I don't care how they look as long as they work as they should. I have seen people wear these huge headphones and to me they look odd and inconvenient but I am sure the wearers don't care about how they look or even perhaps they like how they look. Everyone is different.

Changing tracks and volume with Siri is not something I would use. It seems silly to me. I think Apple is trying to limit the physical interaction with the airpods as much as possible but the Siri control won't do the job here. I don't think I want to pick up my phone every time, either whenever I want to change the volume. Perhaps they will add some touch controls on the airpods but I don't see how they can do this without introducing too often interaction with the airpods. I think my main control will be through my apple watch. I especially love the fact that the watch digital crown can be set to control the volume. I think this will end up being most convenient way. In any case, I am expecting airpods dedicated app or control set up on the watch to help with the airpod controls.

Phew, I didn't mean to give this much details :) but the point is; When are these bloody AirPods coming out? And I find it very irritating that Apple is not sharing any information! This makes me think there is a big problem with them!

What do you guys think?

I too thought it looks rediculous but on second thought I love the EarPods that come with the iPhone. I like wireless headphones but I find my powerbeats 2 uncomfortable. I'm intrigued. I know my I will probably order these in January after the rush.

rock6079

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I seem to have been misunderstanding the way AirPods pair with the iPhone. I was under the impression that you must tap 'connect' on the iDevice screen each time you want to use them together. Apparently however that is a one time thing and you simply remove the AirPods from their case and they auto connect to your iDevice.

yep! exactly. and just use control centre to switch away from them or enable them on another device to automatiallly switch output devices.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
It's about a month since we all expected AirPods to go on sale. Since the announcement of a delay . . . silence. Well, some contradictory rumours, but nothing official from Apple.

Apple executives are paid obscenely large amounts of money. The company itself is unimaginably rich. It hires (apparently) the very brightest and best people in the world.

Is this seriously the best it can do? "We're so brave we nobbled the iPhone to take away the 3.5mm port. But don't worry -- it's all about wireless! Look at our amazing new wireless headphones. That you can't buy. And we're not telling you when you'll be able to. Meanwhile, we'll just cash in millions more of our share options. Ain't life grand."

Reactions: clunkmess

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
It's about a month since we all expected AirPods to go on sale. Since the announcement of a delay . . . silence. Well, some contradictory rumours, but nothing official from Apple.

Apple executives are paid obscenely large amounts of money. The company itself is unimaginably rich. It hires (apparently) the very brightest and best people in the world.

Is this seriously the best it can do? "We're so brave we nobbled the iPhone to take away the 3.5mm port. But don't worry -- it's all about wireless! Look at our amazing new wireless headphones. That you can't buy. And we're not telling you when you'll be able to. Meanwhile, we'll just cash in millions more of our share options. Ain't life grand."
Complaining about the situation will do little to expedite product release. Perhaps it would be beneficial to find something to occupy your mind to avoid devoting resources toward the issue.

Nick11Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
California
The timing of the Air Pods would have worked perfectly if it coincided with the iPhone 7. There was a time not long ago when they would have been released together. If not, then the iPhone 7 would have had a jack and the Air Pods would coincide with upcoming the 7s.

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I do think the situation reflects very poorly on Apple. At my local Apple store they include the AirPods in marketing materials on the wall. And yet you cannot purchase the product nor do we know when we can.

This seems like the kind of thing that would drive Jobs crazy. It looks sloppy and something we'd expect from other tech companies, not Apple.

Perhaps when the AirPods do hit the market they will be a big hit and none of this will matter. But missing Black Friday alone is a lost opportunity and if for some reason they miss the holiday season it will look even worse.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
I do think the situation reflects very poorly on Apple. At my local Apple store they include the AirPods in marketing materials on the wall. And yet you cannot purchase the product nor do we know when we can.

This seems like the kind of thing that would drive Jobs crazy. It looks sloppy and something we'd expect from other tech companies, not Apple.

Perhaps when the AirPods do hit the market they will be a big hit and none of this will matter. But missing Black Friday alone is a lost opportunity and if for some reason they miss the holiday season it will look even worse.
I agree. I feel like Jobs, being the controlla-holic that he was. The iPhone 7 and the airpods would have went on sale together day one. No exceptions. All resources would have been depleted to make that happen.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
This is not to excuse Apple, but consider…

I'm gonna date myself here, but there was a time when Apple would announce products, make them available for purchase, and then not ship them for months, while holding your money, and with no promise of delivery time. That was a regular occurrence, and seemingly SOP.

I had a Wallstreet order turn into a Wallstreet II by the time it shipped because Apple had updated the model in the interim! I ordered a PowerTower Pro, waited for it to ship, bought an 8600 instead, and then saw the PTP delivered a couple months later, and had to refuse the shipment.

The guy who came in and fixed these problems? Some dude named Tim Cook.

When Apple puts these things on sale, and takes your money, you are now pretty much assured you will receive your toys in the time frame specified, if not sooner. Do you really think Apple wanted to miss out on holiday sales, and aren't doing what they need to do to get things shipped?

Or would you rather have them ship anyway, and then complain about how horrible and defective they are? It turned out to be a good thing my Wallstreet turned into a II, because the first series had issues the revision fixed. I'm sure Samsung is ruing their decision to rush the Note 7 out the door as well.

So quit your whining, be patient, and get off my lawn.

Last edited:

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015

Thought about getting 3rd party earbuds?

Reactions: nnoble

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Thought about getting 3rd party earbuds?

I've looked, believe me. But Apple's EarPods are the only headphones I find comfortable and practical. I don't like putting things into my ear, and on-ear and over-ear are too big for what I want them for, which is listening to podcasts while I walk my dog.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I've looked, believe me. But Apple's EarPods are the only headphones I find comfortable and practical. I don't like putting things into my ear, and on-ear and over-ear are too big for what I want them for, which is listening to podcasts while I walk my dog.
I guess your biggest challenge is to wait.

PurpleSookie

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2016
Australia
I'd have to agree with the OP, it did seem ridiculous to spend time at the keynote telling us how we don't need the headphone jack and talk up the new W1 chip breakthrough and how it would change the way we work with our phones and then release one product with it in.

Third party headphones may work fine but why? I want the wonderful W1 headphones that they talked up.

I spend about one minute a day checking to see if they have been released, so it hardly consumes my life but the irony is not lost in me.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon

Are you seriously going to buy those things? If it's causing you stress there are only about 100 other choices you could buy right now!

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Is it possible that Apple is going to entirely miss the Christmas season with AirPods? That would be a bit pathetic especially with the lack of headphone jack in the iPhone 7. If they could have gotten them into the stores and onto the streets so that word of mouth got the word out, those little things would have "won" Christmas. But I'm beginning to get worried that Apple can't get it done in time.

Reactions: clunkmess

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Is it possible that Apple is going to entirely miss the Christmas season with AirPods? That would be a bit pathetic especially with the lack of headphone jack in the iPhone 7. If they could have gotten them into the stores and onto the streets so that word of mouth got the word out, those little things would have "won" Christmas. But I'm beginning to get worried that Apple can't get it done in time.

At this rate the answer is YES. If they release them today they're going to be backordered WELL past New Years so I'd expect at this point they won't be but fews Christmas Gifts

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
At this point maybe the power beats 3 would be a better buy since you can actually get them and with the sale at verizon wireless it make it 10.00 cheaper then the AirPods.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
At this rate the answer is YES. If they release them today they're going to be backordered WELL past New Years so I'd expect at this point they won't be but fews Christmas Gifts

I hope you're correct, but at this point, I'm leaning towards they will not be ready before Christmas. I would say if they don't launch by the first week, then chances are January. But agreed about the back ordered easily into the next year.

Reactions: blaine07

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
the beats x are coming soon and they have the W1 chip and they use lightning charging. Its well worth the wait over the Powerbeats

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
With no sort of dates or anything I bet the AirPods are not going to ship this year. Apple must be having major issues to delay a product this long, also the beats X are also delayed so there must be something wrong as if the products were really ready apple would update the website with a sale date or at least a date to pre-order it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
With no sort of dates or anything I bet the AirPods are not going to ship this year. Apple must be having major issues to delay a product this long, also the beats X are also delayed so there must be something wrong as if the products were really ready apple would update the website with a sale date or at least a date to pre-order it.

Perhaps concerning the W1 Chip? Whatever it is, not a good look for Apple at the moment.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I said a couple of weeks ago that Apple have missed the xmas market and it will be at least January before we see them.
I don't think it's a problem with the W1 chip as they are in the new Beats but they obviously have a serious issue and no doubt that someone's head will roll for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.